Muschamp to take over Texas when Brown retires

I can tell you that Mack and maybe even Deloss ran this by GD and the other assistants before pulling the trigger.

Can't imagine a scenario where GD said, "you have my blessing!".

It was more like GD and the others were informed about what the plan was, not really consulted.

You know more about the program than I do -- I'm just interjecting my understanding of the heirarchy of an organization + human nature and pride.

I don't believe for a second that GD is *okay* with this.

I just don't.

It was more like GD and the others were informed about what the plan was, not really consulted.

You know more about the program than I do -- I'm just interjecting my understanding of the heirarchy of an organization + human nature and pride.

I just don't.

You're right. You don't know what is going on at Texas.

If Mack didn't name a successor, when he retired, GD was probably gone then too. He doesn't aspire to be HC, but even if he did he would never get it. GD is an OC at Texas and that is it. Nobody from any other program has ever come knocking looking for GD to be their HC and Texas won't be offering.

On the other hand, if it wasn't offered to Muschamp, he'd be gone to some other program as HC.

If you were talking about people who were the same age and had the same career ambitions and percieved abilities, I'd understand your argument. But GD and Muschamp are two very different people and candidates. At the very least, GD is 20 years older and not about to take over as HC at this late of an age.

Even if Mack stays on for 5 more years, Muschamp will only be 42--younger by 3 years from when Mack took over Texas.

RJ, Davis at 57 yrs of age is not that old to become a head coach!

I agree. But Texas isn't going to hire him (even before this) and nobody is knocking on his door either.

I think its' clear, and he is probably already come to grips with, that he will be done when Mack is done.

I agree. But Texas isn't going to hire him (even before this) and nobody is knocking on his door either.

I think its' clear, and he is probably already come to grips with, that he will be done when Mack is done.

Sounds reasonable. I'm surprised that GD has not gotten more love from other teams looking for HC's. Watching the way VY played and watching Colt grow the last 3 seasons, it's quite clear that GD is one helluva coordinator. I know Major ApplePUSS gets some credit too, but VY and Colt are special players and are easily the 2 best Texas QB's I have seen in the 23 yrs I have watched the RRR. James Brown was a great one, but these 2 cats, VY and Colt, are at another level. As an OU fan, I have mad respect for those 2.

Major has only been on the staff for one year but his major contribution to Colt's development this year has been teaching him patience and to hit the RB when pressure is on. The use of Ogbannaya this year has been tremendous.

GD is a very good QB coach and has been a good OC at times but he tends to get too predictable (as does Mack). Certain situations come up and the whole stadium knows what is coming.

Earlier in the thread, I asked you Longhorn folks how you think this will go over with your
OC Greg Davis?

And yesterday on ESPN's "College Football Live", Doug Flutie talked about how many yrs some of the Texas assistants have been on staff and how this could create some "internal discord".

I think it's a viable question. You guys will say it's nothing, but I think it might actually be *something*.

Although he may not be voicing it to the media, I am willing to bet Greg Davis is not happy at all about this.....

Was there discord when Akina was demoted? How about when Venables was co-coordinator with Pellini? Answer, is nope.

You're just stirring shit up like you normally do. The fact of the matter is this was a trend setting move by The University. We don't keep up with the Joneses. We are the Joneses.

I'm not used to Texas making good decisions when it comes to picking coaches for their major sports programs. This one is a shockingly brilliant move.

You must be kidding. Mack Brown, Rick Barnes, and Augie Garrido? There isn't a better trio of coaches in all of college sports. Holy shit that couldn't be anymore off the mark.

I just don't.

You realize Greg Davis could have taken several head coaching jobs during his tenure with the Longhorns? He wants to be a coordinator. He likes it. In 2010 he'll be vested in a 2 milliion dollar annuity. So why should he care what Muschamp gets.

Oh, and even if he was disgruntled. F' him. We could snap a finger and grab Kevin Wilson or virtually any offensive coordinator that didn't have a Jimb Fisher deal in place.

And if you truly knew anything about organizational hierarchy, you'd know Greg Davis has been Peter Principled.

Major has only been on the staff for one year but his major contribution to Colt's development this year has been teaching him patience and to hit the RB when pressure is on. The use of Ogbannaya this year has been tremendous.

Well, whatever Major is doing with Colt is certainly working because from my vantage point the skill guys around him are not as good as the past 2 seasons but he is certainly taking his own game to another level.

Well, whatever Major is doing with Colt is certainly working because from my vantage point the skill guys around him are not as good as the past 2 seasons but he is certainly taking his own game to another level.

Well, you're absolutely right about that.

Ogbannaya is not as good as Charles but got the start because he is a good runner, but more importantly a good pass blocker. Fozzy Whittaker was scheduled to be the starter and is finally seeing time after injuries. Whittaker is not as good as Charles was last year but very good. Stable of backs is nice too.

The receivers only really lost Sweed and that is a big loss. Shipley has stepped up and so has Cosby but they were both there last year. The story that is emerging is the emergence of the next batch of hot young receivers including 1 or 2 that can play that "4" receiver with both Malcolm Williams and Dan Buckner getting some playing time. Collins and Kirkendoll are also stepping up and will be good possession receivers.

OL is also very talented and young. Most will be Juniors next year.

Team is built for 2009 and the schedule sets up nicely for a long run so long as we can get by OU. Like to see Colt go 3-1 against you guys.

You must be kidding. Mack Brown, Rick Barnes, and Augie Garrido? There isn't a better trio of coaches in all of college sports. Holy shit that couldn't be anymore off the mark.

:36_11_6: I just wish y'all would finally succeed from the Union.....Tejas is a universe unto itself...one with a HUGELY INFLATED sense of self-importance...how many championships from the B&B boys again?

:36_11_6: I just wish y'all would finally succeed from the Union.....Tejas is a universe unto itself...one with a HUGELY INFLATED sense of self-importance...how many championships from the B&B boys again?

How many baseball NC's you got? How many undefeated football seasons?

How many baseball NC's you got? How many undefeated football seasons?

Baseball? You're coming at me with baseball? C'mon you PATRIOT....I think I'll put up my school's MULTIPLE National Championships in real sports against the ENTIRE State of Tejas..........:tiphat:
And what state has given us 3 more INCOMPETENT presidents (Johnson, Bush I & Bush II)...than the GREAT State of Tejas...please SUCCEED................:36_11_6:

Baseball? You're coming at me with baseball? C'mon you PATRIOT....I think I'll put up my school's MULTIPLE National Championships in real sports against the ENTIRE State of Tejas..........:tiphat:
And what state has given us 3 more INCOMPETENT presidents (Johnson, Bush I & Bush II)...than the GREAT State of Tejas...please SUCCEED................:36_11_6:

That being said, Austin is an AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL oasis in the middle of IGNORANCE......................:shake:

That being said, Austin is an AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL oasis in the middle of IGNORANCE......................:shake:

And for the record, I think UT keeping Muschamp is HUGE...MFer is going to be a very successful HC......:shake:
Glad as hell Rocky Top didn't get him and now they're looking toward a coach with ZERO SEC experience........:seeya:

The first Bush ain't from Texas. Sorry, professor.

I'll take my school's football program over your's. What, are you fucking 12?

And yes, I am a patriot. If you have a problem with it you can eat a bag of dicks.

please SUCCEED................:36_11_6:

Oh, and I think you were going for secede, you know, like to withdraw from an organization, but I don't speak troglodyte.

Dude, I was pro-life before I read your post. Now I'm wavering. Go smoke a bowl, and let the grown ups talk.

Back