Muschamp to take over Texas when Brown retires

I just wasted about 15 minutes explaining the Mike Leach and Texas Tech situation, but it's been discussed here about 20,000 times.

What exactly is appealing about the Tennesse and Washington jobs? Those positions are empty for a reason.

I guess it's better to have your coach always mentioned in "leaving" because it obviously shows he does a great job.
Yeah I mean why wouldn't anyone want to live in Lubbock, Texas. Besides, its a dry county, that doesn't sit well with an alcoholic like Leach.

The only things I would see appealing about the DubU job are money, playing in the high scoring PAC10, and easier access to his pirate ship. It would still be difficult for him to get high profile recruits there though. The appeal of Tennesse I think is self explanatory with their tradition. That offense would bring some life to the SEC similar to what Florida has done and their boosters are loaded. They are dying to win.

You'll have to hope for Patterson. Who is still a great coach.

Ha yep that who I have been hoping for this whole time. Someone who is actually a possibility and that I actually like. The week of the Mizzou game with all the rumors of Gary Patterson flying into Manhattan and then making a 5 year $2 million per year deal got me all excited. Then found out later that day it was a rumor. We'll see....I graduate in May so won't be around to attend the games next year, so will have a little less interest than I do now.

So, while we're at it... Leach to:

New Mexico
Syracuse
Insert any college coaching vacancy here

No. What we are saying is Tennessee and Washington are a step up while those you listed are a step down. Both schools have alot more tradition, history, and larger fan base with deeper pockets then TT.

Texas Tech also didn't offer him to an extension after last season so not sure if it ruffled the feathers somewhat.

How is the team going to look next year without Crabtree and Harrell?

Leach is the 5th highest paid coach in the Big 12 and has to usually settle for recruits after TX, OU, LSU, and even A&M at times get theirs first. This reason alone is why I think he's a fantastic coach and would be #1 on any head coaching vacancy.

As kooky as he can seem the guy would have Pac 10 kids and SEC kids knocking down his doors to play in his offense at Washington or Tennessee.

Name one coach besides Schiano (probably regrets it now) that hasn't jumped to greener pastures?

The family situation of his could play a role but you can see all the factors of why everyone thinks their is a possibility that he leaves Lubbock.

It is beyond impossible discussing anything that isn't pro-UT on this board with you guys.

You're taking any perceivable criticism of TT as pro-UT snobbery. It isn't.

You ask anyone in the entire country whether they would rather be HC at TT or Tenn and almost everyone would say Tennessee. That isn't a slight to TT. It's just that Tennessee is at a whole other level compared to TT from everything from resources, recruiting, facilities, prestige, etc.

And if Leach is going to jump, now is the perfect time. You and I both know that TT will be ranked in the teens if not 20-25 next year after the personnel losses you'll have after this season.

So, while we're at it... Leach to:

New Mexico
Syracuse
Insert any college coaching vacancy here

Chris Low: Some of my inside sources are drying up because Tennessee athletic director Mike...

from Rocky Top Talk by Joel
Chris Low: Some of my inside sources are drying up because Tennessee athletic director Mike Hamilton is making all of his closest aides sign affidavits promising not to leak any information about the coaching search. What he doesn't know is that his office is bugged. I still think the leaders (alphabetically) are Cincinnati coach Brian Kelly, former Raiders coach Lane Kiffin and Texas Tech coach Mike Leach.
ESPN - SEC mailbag: Absolutely, Alabama has a chance - SEC

Winner of the RTT Head Coaching Search Vote-a-Thon: Mike Leach

from Rocky Top Talk by hooper
With over 800 votes cast (an RTT record by a significant margin), Mike Leach bested Jon Gruden as the "most desired as the next head coach" winner.
(Copy/pasted because the poll recall thingy glitched on me.)​
With 820 votes, the simple margin of error is just under 4%; the difference in votes cast falls juuuust within the margin. That basically means that while Leach won, it wasn't an overwhelming victory. Since Leach is the oft-discussed name, I believe this speaks more to the split opinion on Leach than it does on Gruden.
A few notes on what I noticed through the voting rounds:

1. Head Coaches are more desired. The head coaches very consistently received more votes than assistants. With Muschamp selling his sould to the long-horned devil, this is probably just as well.
  2. Offense, offense, offense! Coaches with noted offenses scored better than defensive coaches. This may also explain some of Leach's popularity. (Ok, it explains all of Leach's popularity.) Face it, we Vols fans miss offense.
  3. Recruiting on my mind. A lot of discussion has been generated about the next coach's ability to recruit. The lynchpin seems to be whether the new coach has anything we can look to as the source of his recruiting schtick. For example, Leach has the offense of doom. Gruden can wear his Super Bowl ring. Kelly is often compared to Bruce Pearl. Davis had Miami.
  4. Style points are not important. System didn't matter to people very much. There wasn't any big enthusiasm for Urban-esque spreads, or WCOs, or what-have-you. All people wanted was an offense that scores points and can score points in the SEC. There seems to be an underlying assumption that the defense will take care of itself; very few people mention concerns about the defense next year.
Well, there you have it. It was fun, and it carries basically zero weight with the actual decision-makers, but I learned a bit out of it. Let's just all agree on one thing: whoever the new coach may be, let's give him our full support for at least the first full year. I don't think I can handle another year with as much negative ju-ju as this one, and I'd like a break. kthx.

Texas, Texas,,is so the god's gift to football...Texas baby, texas..jesus u guys don't effin quit
lmfao...it is great...elitism rocks!

Texas is the best at everything and the best place to raise any kid and the greatest bestest place to live and have the bestest recruits and weather and women and bigger c*cks and the strippers strip better and the beer is colder and ..

Crack one!

From the Clemson rivals site--Texas Tech is prepared to offer Mike Leach a 10 year $40 million contract. It hit this AM. Don't know the validity nor the feasibility but the rumor is there.

that's alot of cheese for college ball...wowie.

And especially a lot of cheese for a school who doesn't have a stadium that can hold 80-100,000 every Saturday. Maybe they have some alums with deep pockets but if true, I don't see where they're getting the money from. I don't think it can all be from football revenue

And especially a lot of cheese for a school who doesn't have a stadium that can hold 80-100,000 every Saturday. Maybe they have some alums with deep pockets but if true, I don't see where they're getting the money from. I don't think it can all be from football revenue

if true, def not from football rev. hell bama has one of the highest foots revs in the country, and it took millions in donations to fire shula and get saban's $$bags

Yup, or the Orange Bowl.

Maybe we can get lucky and aspire to be in the Holiday Bowl were you normally reside.

When you realize that there are 4 teams from the Big XII that can beat you or Penn St, give me a call.

Otherwise, I'm going to harrass YNN with the obvious.

When you realize that there are 4 teams from the Big XII that can beat you or Penn St, give me a call.

Otherwise, I'm going to harrass YNN with the obvious.
Yup because the Big 12 is the top rated conference every year...rolls eyes.

Oklahoma St and Missouri are always bigger powers than Michigan and Wisconsin or Penn St.

Give me a break.

Another strawman argument...

Hook em!

matthew-mcconaughey-hook-em-horns.jpg

Yup because the Big 12 is the top rated conference every year...rolls eyes.

Oklahoma St and Missouri are always bigger powers than Michigan and Wisconsin or Penn St.

Give me a break.

Another strawman argument...

Hook em!

Just has to be better than you guys this year. Which they are.

Not going to look through the whole thread.....but i figured this why Todd Dodge left SLC. To get that college experience, then take over for Mackie Mack.
Not sure if this changes his time table.

Press

lmfao...it is great...elitism rocks!

Texas is the best at everything and the best place to raise any kid and the greatest bestest place to live and have the bestest recruits and weather and women and bigger c*cks and the strippers strip better and the beer is colder and ..

Crack one!

Would you rather us burn our couches when we lose and turn into English soccer hooligans to opposing visitors?

Not going to look through the whole thread.....but i figured this why Todd Dodge left SLC. To get that college experience, then take over for Mackie Mack.
Not sure if this changes his time table.

Press

Dodge is going to end up back in HS at the rate he is going.

Earlier in the thread, I asked you Longhorn folks how you think this will go over with your
OC Greg Davis?

And yesterday on ESPN's "College Football Live", Doug Flutie talked about how many yrs some of the Texas assistants have been on staff and how this could create some "internal discord".

I think it's a viable question. You guys will say it's nothing, but I think it might actually be *something*.

Although he may not be voicing it to the media, I am willing to bet Greg Davis is not happy at all about this.....

Earlier in the thread, I asked you Longhorn folks how you think this will go over with your
OC Greg Davis?

And yesterday on ESPN's "College Football Live", Doug Flutie talked about how many yrs some of the Texas assistants have been on staff and how this could create some "internal discord".

I think it's a viable question. You guys will say it's nothing, but I think it might actually be *something*.

Although he may not be voicing it to the media, I am willing to bet Greg Davis is not happy at all about this.....

I'm willing to bet money you're wrong. I can almost guarantee that the assistants were consulted and this plan was discussed, particularly with GD and Major.

When Muschamp came on and was paid $450k to be the DC, they gave GD a raise so that he was paid equal.

Mack is very good friends and very loyal to GD. He was definitely consulted. Besides, I really think the plan is that GD is going to leave when Mack leaves and Major takes over. Major is being groomed as QB/OC coach.

When Major came on, he took the only open position as RB coach. But you could see where they were going with this. You'll now see him on the field with the headphones on signalling in plays. He's also been named assistant head coach in his first year, signalling his importance.

I was worried about how this would work with Akina, but I get the sense that Akina knows that he's a special teams coach and DB coach and is happy with that. Last year's effort as DC was a disaster. He also seems to have very good chemistry with Muschamp.

I can almost guarantee that the assistants were consulted before this move was made.

I'm not used to Texas making good decisions when it comes to picking coaches for their major sports programs. This one is a shockingly brilliant move.

When Muschamp came on and was paid $450k to be the DC, they gave GD a raise so that he was paid equal.

Mack is very good friends and very loyal to GD.

So if Mack is so loyal to GD, is GD gonna get a raise to $900k in January just like Will?

Uhhh, doubt it.

So if Mack is so loyal to GD, is GD gonna get a raise to $900k in January just like Will?

Uhhh, doubt it.

No. He won't. The difference is one is a coordinator and one is being paid to stick around as the future HC. If Mack was going to do that, then it would have been announced simultaneously. And it wasn't.

Can't tell you more than what we already know about the inside goings on, but I can tell you that Mack and maybe even Deloss ran this by GD and the other assistants before pulling the trigger.

Back