Muschamp to take over Texas when Brown retires

Houghton Chemical

Pretty much a regular
Eds: APNewsNow.
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - Texas defensive coordinator Will Muschamp
has been designated head coach-in-waiting by the university,
expected to take over the Longhorns when coach Mack Brown retires.
Muschamp is in his first year with Texas, but athletic director
DeLoss Dodds said Tuesday he and Brown know they want to keep him
at Texas. To do that, they will more than double his salary from
$425,000 to $900,000 in January. He will remain defensive
coordinator.
Dodds said he wants the 57-year-old Brown to coach for a long
time but said he wanted to line up Muschamp now to avoid the
"trauma" of a coaching search when the day comes that Brown steps
down.
The No. 4 Longhorns (10-1) are preparing for their Thanksgiving
night game against rival Texas A&M.

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

AP-NY-11-18-08 1652EST

Thanks for that info, best news of the day as I and many others were already expecting another move by Muschamp. Wonder what this does for Applewhite ? Sure he should be OC but he'll be at risk of leaving/hired away with this news imo.

Hook em

At first glance, I don't think it's a good deal for Muschamp. For Florida State to name Jimbo Fisher as successor to Bobby Bowden is one thing, because Ole' Bobby is 80 yrs old. But Mack Brown is only 57 and is nowhere near retiring, I would think.

Muschamp will get million dollar-plus offers from other schools during the time he is waiting for Mack to retire.

If Muschamp is a smart guy away from the football field, or at least has smart people around him to give him sound financial advice, he will probably not take this offer.

That's my guess, any way.

maybe, majent... but you have to remember that one bad head coaching situation and a good coach can get blackballed from lots of good jobs. this is stability. i mean this guy knows he can be a part of an elite team and make plenty of money for the rest of his life. pretty nice set up if you ask me

Check that, espn.com reporting that Muschamp has accepted the offer. I wonder, though, if there is any kind of buy-out or escape clause in there just in case some school with tons of cash comes calling.....

maybe, majent... but you have to remember that one bad head coaching situation and a good coach can get blackballed from lots of good jobs. this is stability. i mean this guy knows he can be a part of an elite team and make plenty of money for the rest of his life. pretty nice set up if you ask me

I agree, and $900k. If we all could be this lucky. If you figure Mack to be at UT another 5-10 years. 4.5-9 MIL with the woman in the state of Tex. God has been great to Will.

coordinator.
down.

AP-NY-11-18-08 1652EST

That is the best fuckin' news ever!

This has been rumored all season and is now confirmed. Applewhite should then be moving to OC when Greg Davis retires.

Crack a beer!

I wonder how OC Greg Davis feels about this.

Anyone with inside info. wanna chime in?

This has been the rumor all season. Muschamp as HC in waiting.

If the whole rumor is true then Davis will retire when Mack retires and Major will take over as OC.

Happy Fuckin' Day!

coordinator.
down.

AP-NY-11-18-08 1652EST

There are few schools that can lock up a HC in waiting by doubling his already high DC salary and the prestige of the school and recruiting. Texas is one of them.

I'm just beaming ear to ear.

Good move by Dodds.

Great hire. Long term it's tough to project how good a head coach he'll be, but short term it means we'll have continuity on defense for the first time in 4 years. Next year, the defense will be unreal.

Great hire. Long term it's tough to project how good a head coach he'll be, but short term it means we'll have continuity on defense for the first time in 4 years. Next year, the defense will be unreal.

5 graduating seniors in the Front 7.

My guess is that Texas's defense version 08 will end up superior to 09.

Let's bump this thread in January 2010 to see who was right, LOL.

The big losses will be Orakpo and Roy Miller.

Bobino is the only other Senior starter and he's not all that good. Norton is just as good if not better.

I'm not sure who you're counting as the 5. The most I count is 3 if not maybe 4.

Orakpo will be a huge loss as will Miller but we've got alot of depth at DE and now LB.

Think Kindle will also stay as he finally had a good year but not enough to go real high in the draft. Think he needs one more year with Muschamp and Muschamp may move him to DE next year which he is more likely to play in the NFL.

Also, how much better will our young secondary be? Much, much better.

Sr's in the rotation on the DL and LB I've got from Steele and nationalchamps.net:

DL with Orakpo, Miller, Lewis, Melton

LB with Bobino

That is 5 impact players in the Front 7

Muschamp inherited a better defense than we might think.

His 08 D, when it's all said and done, IMO, will be better than the 09 version

Compared to the rest of the Big 12 South's graduation or (eligibility expiration if you're oklahoma), I'd say Texas is going to wreck shit next year.

The starting defense that held Kansas to its lowest point total all year goes as follows: DL: Eddie Jones (soph), Roy Miller (Senior), Lamarr Houston (Jr.), Henry Melton (SR).

LB: Jared Norton (JR.), Rod Muckelroy (Jr), Sergio Kindle (Jr)

DB's: Curtis Brown (SO), Deon Beasley (Jr), Earl Thomas (FR), Blake Gideon (FR)

Notes: Texas best cover corner Chykie Brown (SO) out with an injury, Sam Acho (SO) DE (Played as many snaps as Henry Melton).

Basically we have to find an answer for Roy Miller and hope a young DE can grow into Orakpo's shoes. That's it.

vs. a Big 12 schedule of:

OU... loses nearly its entire Oline and probably its QB
Tech... loses its entire Oline, QB, and probably best receiver
Ok state, loses Pettigrew and best two Olinemen.
Mizzou... Loses Coffman, Daniel, and two Olinemen
Kansas... loses Reesing, and, they're well, Kansas
Baylor is Baylor
TAMU is TAMU
Colorado is Colorado, and we get them in Austin

Looks like a pretty manageable schedule, especially with a witch for a DC coming back for the first time in 4 years.

Boom Motherfucker

Sr's in the rotation on the DL and LB I've got from Steele and nationalchamps.net:

DL with Orakpo, Miller, Lewis, Melton

LB with Bobino

That is 5 impact players in the Front 7

Muschamp inherited a better defense than we might think.

His 08 D, when it's all said and done, IMO, will be better than the 09 version

You got it wrong. Orakpo, Miller, and maybe Lewis are the strong ones. Melton is ok but he's not a pass rushing DE, he's run contain. For passing downs, they put in Kindle at end. Also Sam Acho and Eddie Jones have done alot of filling in at DE and are probably just as good as Melton.

Bobino...forget about it. Give me Norton.

The losses for Texas will be Orakpo and how to fill in at DT. We've got good young talent at DT and more coming in but will need Houston to step up.

Then again, Muschamp's teams are built on speed so we may only need one true DT in the middle with a bunch of speed at the other DT and DE spots.

Texas is honestly built for 2009 and may get Ship back to boot if the NCAA grants him another year of eligibility due to his injuries the first 2 years of his career. Worth a shot. We're stacked at WR too, though.

Texas only loses two guys on the defense worth a shit in DE Orakpo and DT Miller. Texas is loaded at DE with Acho, and Jones as backups so I wouldn't worry much there.

On offense Texas loses only WR Cosby as OG Dockery is easily replaceable by Hix. Texas returns its entire two deep on the OL but one.

Texas is going to be pretty sick next year especially in a Big 12 that will see:

OU loses a ton on offense but Bradford (possibly) and Murray. The OL and both WRs Johnson and Iglesias are SR and TE sGresham will turn pro likely.

TT loses Crabtree, Harrell, and Leach to Washington. Don't need to say anymore.

Mizzu loses Daniels and probably Maclin.

Horn:

Does the fact that Muschamp is staying at Austin help us land McFarland this year and Jeffcoat next year? Kennard this year too?

I would think if I was a defensive recruit, my main question would be will the HC stay and will I have the same DC. This answers those questions.

At first glance, I don't think it's a good deal for Muschamp. For Florida State to name Jimbo Fisher as successor to Bobby Bowden is one thing, because Ole' Bobby is 80 yrs old. But Mack Brown is only 57 and is nowhere near retiring, I would think.

Muschamp will get million dollar-plus offers from other schools during the time he is waiting for Mack to retire.

If Muschamp is a smart guy away from the football field, or at least has smart people around him to give him sound financial advice, he will probably not take this offer.

That's my guess, any way.

He made a great choice. Why go to Clemson, Tenn., or Washington where you have to recruit outside of your state to make your team successful? Plus all programs are really down right now.

Muschamp is 37 and Brown is 57...Muschamp to head coach and Bwon to AD in three years. I could see this happening. Muschamp will get to know every HS coach in the state during this time and will walk into a program and team that will probably be loaded already. It will be easier to recruit if the players know the replacement is already in place and apart of the team.

A poll a few years back surveyed coaches to ask them what the #1 dream job in college football was and Texas and Florida were the top two choices.

Great move by Texas.

Horn:

Does the fact that Muschamp is staying at Austin help us land McFarland this year and Jeffcoat next year? Kennard this year too?

I would think if I was a defensive recruit, my main question would be will the HC stay and will I have the same DC. This answers those questions.

It can only help especially with Mcfarland since he looks like he was leaning OU. Jeffcoat will probably be a three team battle with USC, UT, and OU.

“We want to keep Will Muschamp as our defensive coordinator at the University of Texas,” Dodds said. “We’ve decided to build our future from the inside.”
Brown said “there is no timetable” for Muschamp to succeed him. He said he intends to honor the eight years remaining on his contract and to continue coaching “as long as I do it to the satisfaction of myself and the university.”
“The only way it works is if Will is young and isn’t in a hurry,” said Brown, who described Muschamp as a “hot item” this fall.
For his part, Dodds said that he is “planning on Coach Brown being here a long, long time.”
Dodds would not say whether Muschamp had been offered a head coaching job elsewhere but said, “Recently, Coach Muschamp had chances. He’s in demand at other universities.”
Muschamp, thought to be a candidate for the current head coaching vacancies at Clemson, Tennessee and elsewhere, said he has had opportunities to be a head coach and “I was waiting for the right one. This is the best one.
He said that “some things have come up” but that “nothing concrete” had been offered to him at other schools.
Muschamp said it was a no-brainer to accept the offer. “I don’t think Coach Brown got it out of his mouth before I said, ‘Yes,’ ” Muschamp said. “It’s like third-and-8: You make up your mind and you go.”
This is an exciting day for me and my family. I think this is the best job in the country and that’s why I’m staying,” he said. “This is an elite job in the country.

I love that he is so excited. The kids on both offense and defense have really fed off his energy and he and Major get along very well.

Also think that Mrs. Muschamp needs to give her man some extra lovin'. This is THE ABSOLUTELY BEST THING that could have happened to their family--raising kids in Austin. Now they're set and stable and in one of the best places to live and raise kids in the entire country.

Horn:

This could potentially put us in a better shape with Dre Kirkpatrick and Jarvis Jones too.
Hopefully Kindle will decide to stick around for 1 more year now. I know he has financial needs, but another year under WM could get him into the top 15.

I think Kindle stays now that Muschamp is here.

I also still think Mack stays untill Garrett Gilbert graduates. Gilbert is probably the best passing QB to ever come out of the state. It going to be hard to walkaway from a team that is going to be pretty stout the next couple of years.

I think Kindle stays now that Muschamp is here.

I also still think Mack stays untill Garrett Gilbert graduates. Gilbert is probably the best passing QB to ever come out of the state. It going to be hard to walkaway from a team that is going to be pretty stout the next couple of years.

I agree about Kindle. I'm not sure about Mack staying around as HC for another 5 years (figure Gilbert redshirts and stays all 4 years). If I was Muschamp I'd start looking around for other opportunities if I had to wait that long.

Who knows.

I would think that Mack plans to retire from HC by the time he's 60 and will take the last 5 years on his contract within the AD's office.

Also just found out in my last trip that Deloss Dodds lives 5 houses down from my wife's parents. I think I'll give him and his wife a gift basket for such a brilliant move.

I love that he is so excited. The kids on both offense and defense have really fed off his energy and he and Major get along very well.

Also think that Mrs. Muschamp needs to give her man some extra lovin'. This is THE ABSOLUTELY BEST THING that could have happened to their family--raising kids in Austin. Now they're set and stable and in one of the best places to live and raise kids in the entire country.

Like I said. Will during the press conference today:

"When I first came here in January and my wife, Carol, and boys, Jackson and Whit, stayed back in Auburn, I got such a great feel for the community and people. When Carol and the kids moved here in May, they fell in love with Austin. If I would have left, I would have left on my own because she was staying here. She really loves the community and the people, and our kids love their schools. It's just a special place and somewhere I want to be for a long time.

Texas, Texas,,is so the god's gift to football...Texas baby, texas..jesus u guys don't effin quit

It's a mess bro..

don't mind my post before...it;s a sammy meatballs kinda night for me..drunk..

UM is in shambles man, and it ain't pretty to say the least.

I hope you're joking.

BTW, this puts the hotseat on TT to make a deal with Leach. He's now one place closer on Washington and Tennessee's list.

Orangebloods.com is not the Bible.
Geoff Ketchum is not Jesus.

signed,
The rest of the writers on Rivals.com

The only thing about this is with Texas being such a phenomenal job is why are they naming their next head coach as a guy with no head coaching experience. I mean they plucked away Mack Brown after he won pretty big at North Carolina. IMO, they could definitely go out and get a proven winner in 5 years that poses a lot less risk long term. I think Muschamp will be a great coach one day but the key word is think. I would have loved to have had him at Clemson but still prefer a Gary Patterson, Mike Leach or Troy Calhoun over him just because I know those guys have what it takes to succeed as a big-time CFB head coach. I think Clemson will end up hiring an unproven and its a pretty big risk IMO...hopefully it works out. But it's quite surprising to me that Texas is going to hire someone unproven, though at least he will be groomed for a few years

signed,

Actually the guy who told the story on Houston radio is a rivals writer for the LSU site. Woodward is the Washington AD who was at LSU before that.

Not trying to be an ass but I would be shitting my pants if I was a TT fan. Washington is going to throw the house at Leach and so might Tennessee.

I just wasted about 15 minutes explaining the Mike Leach and Texas Tech situation, but it's been discussed here about 20,000 times.

What exactly is appealing about the Tennesse and Washington jobs? Those positions are empty for a reason.

I guess it's better to have your coach always mentioned in "leaving" because it obviously shows he does a great job.

signed,

Not just Orangebloods and Ketchum that are reporting the Leach to Tennessee rumor. Lots of blogs and writers have him and Kelly high on Tennessee's list.

Washington is also going to be looking hard at Leach since his system will work well in the Pac-10.

Both teams will be willing to throw $3-4M at him a year. Tennessee would probably have the inside edge since they have better facilities, recruiting, and weather, but Leach is also a Pac-10/West Coast boy.

TT better be willing to throw the house at him.

I just wasted about 15 minutes explaining the Mike Leach and Texas Tech situation, but it's been discussed here about 20,000 times.

What exactly is appealing about the Tennesse and Washington jobs? Those positions are empty for a reason.

I guess it's better to have your coach always mentioned in "leaving" because it obviously shows he does a great job.

The historic importance of U Dub is overrated. But Tennessee? Are you kidding me? It's a very prestiguous position.

Don't get me wrong. Leach has done an awesome job at TT and has built it into a strong contender for high honors in the South and the Big XII. This year is the first year I can remember when they actually have a strong chance to win it all. Next year they fall off with the loss of Harrell, Crabtree, and the OL.

He may stay and to a certain extent I hope he does. He's good for Texas football, Lubbock, TT, and college football in general. But right about now would be a perfect time to jump to Tennessee--which is traditionally a better program and has the funds and facilities to take Leach to the next level.

Back