Mountain West Information

s--k

Goodbye to Romance College Football
Anything specific you have on the MWC as they enter game week for the first time?

I mentioned elsewhere that Colorado State has been through a lot of turmoil this offseason. After they hired Steve Addazio as their new HC, there were reports and complaints of racial abuse and lax coronavirus protocols (or even intimidation over taking the virus seriously). The football team issued their own statement in support of Addazio denying any allegations, but sources then said that it did not represent the sentiment of the entire team. A law firm was hired to investigate, Addazio and assistant coaches were cleared with local and Denver media questioning the objectivity of the investigators and the lack of availability to address the issues and transparency into the actual investigation. Couple this rocky coaching transition with a covid outbreak and poor air quality the result of one of Colorado's largest wildfires in history just over the ridge from Fort Collins (Cameron Fire) that has caused canceling some outdoor pracitces and scrimmages and it would be an understatement to say their prep for the season has been less tough. And they opened a 20 point favorite.

Just saying, not sure how that impacts things. On paper, CSU looks to have a really strong roster while their opponent, New Mexico, has a less than stellar roster and is also undergoing a coaching transition (ArzSt DC Danny Gonzales is HC and Rocky Long is back as DC).

So anyway, I have some time today and my Monday obession is Mountain West football. I post anything of interest I come across. You can read up on the CSU offseason stuff, it's a doozy. Please post anything you have. I'm am very interested to hear anything from people in California that might have insight to SDSt, Fresno, San Jose State. I think California, like Colorado, had some strict coronavirus restrictions that limited anything related to football practice for most of the year.

CSU's #1 receiver Warren Jackson opted out. They still have a deep WR unit, but he will be missed. Jackson was in the next in a long line of recent CSU stud WRs with an NFL future. 6' 6" 250

UNM football practices paused after 9 positive COVID-19 cases​

www.krqe.com/sports/local-sports/unm-football-practices-paused-after-8-players-1-staff-member-test-positive-for-coronavirus/
Posted: Oct 15, 2020 / 07:12 PM MDT / Updated: Oct 16, 2020 / 05:20 AM MDT

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – Lobo football has had to pause practices Thursday after eight players and one staff member tested positive for COVID-19.

As of now, UNM football is hoping to return to practice on Saturday. This marks the first positive COVID-19 test since Aug. 28, and in total, out of 2,078 tests, UNM now has 27 positive tests. UNM would not release the identity of Thursday’s positive tests.

Not sure if those practices did resume. Fan message board says 20 players in quarantine. I used to be able to read Albuquerque Journal, the best place for NM Lobo news, but it is all pay site now.

Last edited:
While Santa Clara County was not allowing contact drills, the San Jose St football team has spent the last 10 days in Humboldt County (at the college) practicing and attending classes remotely. Apparently a very positive experience and a lot of team unity. Former SEC QB Starkel appears to be the clear cut starter but expect QB Nash to see some reps in sub-packages as more of a runner.

UNM football practices paused after 9 positive COVID-19 cases​

www.krqe.com/sports/local-sports/unm-football-practices-paused-after-8-players-1-staff-member-test-positive-for-coronavirus/

Not sure if those practices did resume. Fan message board says 20 players in quarantine. I used to be able to read Albuquerque Journal, the best place for NM Lobo news, but it is all pay site now.
Nope. NM is still not practicing. I seriously doubt this game happens Saturday. And there is a chance the state will keep NM from playing this season.

Gonzales will win at NM. I truly believe it. But this year might be in serious jeopardy.

Bro you really do help make my life much easier, I’m sure I say it some but not sure if enough. I really appreciate you sharing all this stuff!!

Some notes on Wyoming.

DL appears to be a concern. First, FR AA DE Solomon Byrd has opted out. He was the 4th leading returning tackler and had 6.5 sacks last year. Nose tackle Mario Mora started 7 and played in 11 as a rFr last year. Starting DE Garrett Crall had foot surgery that has heeled slow and will miss atleast Nevada game. That makes 3 of their expected starting DL out. WYO also loses reserves Cole and Ross-Wells who are not playing. The 8 players in their 2-deep have started 14 career games and are mostly underclassman.

Safety Rome Weber also opted out, he started 12 as a rFr last year.

WYO has a new DC, Jay Sawvel, formerly of Wake Forest, if you remember he was fired week 5 the day after WF allowed 56 pts to Notre Dame in 2018 (had given up 97 points over a 2 game span).

One of their starting OL Alonzo Velaquez is going to miss some time with a shoulder injury.

Bohl says they are going to play both Sean Chambers (28.8 ppg in his starts prior to injury) and Levi Williams (threw for 234 and put up 38 pts in bowl). Chambers will start, he's not a good passer so we'll have to see if that has improved. He said after this week he would like to go with one. They need some receivers to step up and the LBs are unsettled right now.

Phil Steele's book says the LBs "look to be a concern" and after seeing the attrition at DL, the entire front 7 looks like a concern

Nevada's HC Jay Norvell left the team this week due to the death of his father. He is expected back to coach in the Wyoming game. Matt Mumme is overseeing the team in Novell's absence. Merritt Norvell played on Wisconsin's 1960 Rose Bowl team and was Michigan State AD in the 1990s. Wolfpack players announced they'll be playing in Merritt's honor this week.

I do not see any opt outs on Nevada. Back in August Norvell said his team had no opt outs which appears true still.

Their 5th year Sr LT Miles Beach has "retired". Nevada sports net ranked him as the 12th most important player on their 2020 preview. Former JC Moses Landis is listed at starting LT now who has seen limited action the past 2 years.

Two potential starters from the D are not with the team. Nose Tackle Chris Green due to arrest (mostly a reserve did start 5x '19) and LB James Fotofili who suffered a fractured skull in a hit-and-run accident. He was a reserve in prior years.

Nevada's roster looks pretty decent. Not much other news on them.

While Santa Clara County was not allowing contact drills, the San Jose St football team has spent the last 10 days in Humboldt County (at the college) practicing and attending classes remotely. Apparently a very positive experience and a lot of team unity. Former SEC QB Starkel appears to be the clear cut starter but expect QB Nash to see some reps in sub-packages as more of a runner.

Thanks.

Weird turn of events for Starkel, he threw 5 INTs at Arkansas vs San Jose last year leading to SJSU's only ever win vs SEC. Now he's at SJSU!

I don't see any opt outs for San Jose State. They list a JC NT in Jay Kakiva starting. He was their highest rated overall recruit.

5-7 last year. Not a bad looking team this year just need some big improvement in the run D still. Will be interesting to see if there is much drop off from Love to Starkel. The supporting cast on O is largely the same.

No contact drills? I remember seeing how that worked out for Navy in the BYU game earlier this season....I was very interested in SJST as a home dog too but reading no contact gives me pause....

No contact drills? I remember seeing how that worked out for Navy in the BYU game earlier this season....I was very interested in SJST as a home dog too but reading no contact gives me pause....

No, that is why they went to a different county for 10 days to practice. Like a mini-camp, they bused up and stayed in dorms at the Humboldt college to conduct their practices they weren't allowed to have in their home county. They are back home now as the county has adjusted their restrictions.

I think it is hard to have a ton of confidence in Utah State's O. I don't know how good Shelley will be. Love was not good last year, the offense as a whole was not good last year, the OL was awful.

They do seem high on this Justin McGriff JC WR. 6' 6" 220.

Boise RB Robert Mahone was arrested in August, suspended and now entered the transfer portal.

RB is thin for Boise, behind 1000y RB George Holani ('19 MW Frosh of Year) is power back Andrew Van Buren and Soph Danny Smith who had 8 carries last year.

Boise is rebuilding both OL and DL with heavy losses to each unit. One of the OL spots is being filled by a Rice grad transfer who only started 10 games in 3 years there, so I don't know. How they fair there will determine how good they can be.

I don't see any opt-outs, but sometimes starting S Jordan Happle was a late transfer out in September.

From Fresno Bee:
Here’s a quick breakdown of spring practices conducted:

13 – Air Force
8 – Colorado State
8 – New Mexico
6 – San Diego State
3 – Boise State
2 – Utah State
0 – Fresno State
0 – Hawaii
0 – Nevada
0 – San Jose State
0 – UNLV
0 – Wyoming

Read more here: https://www.fresnobee.com/article245979430.html#storylink=cpy

Further from the same article dated September 24th, I suspect most the California schools went through something similar. Fresno's football program didn't do anything together since spring strength and conditioning.

The Bulldogs have been on the sidelines since a strength and conditioning program that ended just before their spring practices were canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

They did not come back to campus when the NCAA cleared the way for voluntary workouts in June due to Fresno County health and safety guidelines, did not come back to campus when it OK’d two mandatory workout sessions in July, did not come back to campus for the start of a scheduled fall camp in August.

In fact, the Bulldogs haven’t been in full pads since the end of a disappointing 2019 season and a 17-16 loss at San Jose State.

Fresno State was 4-8, finishing on a four-game losing streak.

But in less than one month, the Bulldogs will be suiting up for a football game.

Again from the September 24th article:
  • Colorado State had players back in June for voluntary workouts and in July for mandatory workouts. The Rams suspended workouts briefly during an investigation following allegations of racial insensitivity and abuse and its handling of COVID-19 cases, but are back in workouts. They have not had any full-contact practices due to county health regulations, and have been working out in helmets and spiders, or skeleton pads.
  • Utah State also had players back on campus in June, and like Colorado State is using the 12-hour week approved by the NCAA that includes strength and conditioning workouts, meetings and walk-thoughs. The Aggies on the field have been in helmets only.
  • Hawaii is conditioning 12 hours per week, and has yet to workout in full pads. It had players back on campus in June and July, though there was a pause. “We got our first case and the issue of more frequent testing came up,” an athletics department spokesman said. “During that time, the Mountain West announced postponement and our state had another surge forcing a stay-at-home order.”
  • Nevada had a Week Zero game on its schedule so it started fall camp on July 31 before the season was postponed. Its full team was back on campus in July and the Wolf Pack currently is lifting weights, doing individual skill workouts and non-padded walk-throughs. Its practices were disrupted for a few days by poor air quality from the wildfires.
  • San Diego State had a target date in June to bring student-athletes back to campus and stuck to it, though the Aztecs have dealt with interruptions to their schedule. The football team got a 10-day break shortly after the season was postponed, and athletics activities on campus were suspended for two weeks due to an increase in COVID-19 cases earlier this month.
  • San Jose State brought its student-athletes back to campus in late July and is using the 12-hour rule for conditioning and individual skill development. The Spartans have had to take two breaks due to poor air quality from wildfires in the area on Aug. 19 and Sept. 11.
  • UNLV had its players return to campus in June, and some went home after the season was postponed. It is using the 12-hour rule for strength and conditioning and position meetings.

Hawaii's 2-deep looks intact, I don't see any important players missing.

One addition, Quentin Frazier is listed as starting LB/S. He is a transfer from Azusa Pacific where he played for new UH DC. He was 2x All Conference there.

UH has a couple familiar names who transferred in at WR - Rico Bussey has nearly 2000 career yards at North Texas and Melquise Stovall was Cal's 3rd leading receiver way back in 2016. He went to JC then was on UH's team last year, but was dismissed in October (had 18 catches for 248 in 5 games). He's back in the 2-deep this year.

Appears that UNLV and UNM are dealing with Covid issues though it is almost impossible to detail the severity; do your due diligence if you decide to back either of those teams.

Humboldt county. Real California. I can see why this location would bring a team together. "Hard days made us"

Let's go!

Last edited:
How the hell you know all this?!?!?? I feel like I cap this sport about as well ya can but I damn sure don’t have as much knowledge about these teams as you do in your freaking pinky finger!!

Though the season is scheduled to begin in five days, the Mountain West has still yet to finalize its COVID-19 testing protocols. Until that happens, teams won’t know how they’re supposed to handle the inevitable positive tests during game weeks.

On Monday, a league spokesman said the MWC is still “finalizing” its protocols and guidelines in the event of positive tests. Teams have already begun the conference’s mandated three-times weekly testing schedule.

Umm, it's game week and the MWC hasn't announced their protocols.

UNLV QB situation if you feel so inclined. Arroyo says it is down to 3. No way anyone knows before the game who, not entirely sure it matters.

Through most of the offseason, the quarterback situation was framed as a battle between sophomore holdover Kenyon Oblad, the Liberty product who wrested the job from Armani Rogers last season, and newcomer Justin Rogers, a former prized recruit who transferred in from TCU during the offseason.

As a redshirt freshman in 2019, Oblad completed 54.2 percent of his passes for 2,081 yards and 18 touchdowns, with nine interceptions. He played his best game in the season finale, throwing for 229 yards and three TDs with zero interceptions in an overtime road win against rival UNR.

Rogers was the No. 52 overall prospect in the Class of 2018 but suffered a knee injury that cost him almost his entire senior year of high school. He subsequently never saw the field at TCU. Now healthy, the redshirt sophomore is firmly in the mix for UNLV.

Arroyo also said senior Max Gilliam and true freshman Doug Brumfield are competing for the top spot.

Appears that UNLV and UNM are dealing with Covid issues though it is almost impossible to detail the severity; do your due diligence if you decide to back either of those teams.

UNLVs' Arroyo isn't disclosing who the players are or the positions effected. But I read that they had a less than 2.5% positivity rate and that was low enough to not put the game this week in jeopordy. But we also know that contract tracing is often worse than the actual positives. They tested Sunday, Tuesday and then one more time before the game which wasn't specified.

UNLV leading returning WR Randal Grimes is not on the 2-deep this week. He is still listed on the roster. Same with #5 leading receiver Mekhi Stevenson and starting LB Farrell Hester and S Greg Francis, not on 2-deep (some positions go 3-deep), but all are still listed on the roster. Not sure if that might indicate some of the players unavailable for this game. I'd think Grimes would be the only impact loss.

Looking at San Diego State's 2-deep I don't see any opt-outs and everyone that Phil Steele had listed is either starting or in a reserve role.

Carson Baker was named the starting QB. SDState will continue a transition they tried to go with last year in opening up the offense.

Tweet says Greg Bell has had a good camp. Was out with injury after transferring from Nebraska following 2018. San Diego State is so deep at RB, Bell looks like the 4th or 5th option behind Byrd, Bell, Jasmin and Williams. Suppose they are all pretty interchangeable. I don't think anybody is a Penny / Washington type guy. Speaking of Penny, his brother Brionne is really far down the depth chart at WR, rFr #11. But would be cool to see him be good some day.

Air Force will be without preseason All-American offensive guard Nolan Laufenberg on Saturday as the result of COVID-19 contact tracing, The Gazette has learned.

Laufenberg has not tested positive for the coronavirus, but his exposure through an academy class to a cadet who tested positive led to the protocols that will keep him from traveling to San Jose State.

“To ensure the protection of cadet athletes' medical privacy, the academy will not comment on test results,” an Air Force spokesman said.

Laufenberg was 2nd Team AA last year, his 21 career starts entering 2020 was nearly half their returning total of 48. Jr Hank Wimmer will likely start in his place, played in 7 games last year. They lost 59 career starts in 3 players who graduated. Not that it mattered vs Navy, just saying.

The "turn backs" that were revealed prior to the Navy game didn't matter either. To recap the important players mostly on defense were: starting DE Jordan Jackson, key reserve sometimes starting DE Chris Herrera, starting OLB Lakota Wills, staring ILB Demonte Meeks, starting CB Milton Bugg, key reserve CB James Jones, reserve S Trey Taylor. 3 of those players have received All Conference Honors in their careers.

Air Force lost their 6 of their top 8 tacklers before the turnbacks, now they've lost their top 10 returning tacklers and 12 of their top 13. Again, not that it mattered vs Navy. Every defensive starter listed for this week is still a Jr or Sr, but behind them are almost exclusively Soph and Frosh.

Maybe I'll keep this thread going weekly with notes following the games.

Games from 10/24:

Hawaii ran for 323 including only passing 3x in the 4th quarter as they wore down Fresno keeping the ball for 10 minutes and 197 rush yards in the 4th Q alone. QB Chevin Cordeiro led the team with 13att-116y yards. He passed for 229 with no TDs. When is the last time Hawaii won a game their QB didn't throw a TD? Fresno QB Jake Haener (Washington transfer) threw 3 INTs and lost a fumble. Fresno was also SOD at the H13 on their final possession. Hawaii missed 2 FGs or they would've won by more than the 34-19 Final. UH outgained them 552-409 (Fresno only ran for 120).

Air Force's 9 game winning streak was the second longest in the nation, no more. Each team had a 1st H possession get into opposing territory end in no points, San Jose's ended in SOD and INT, AF's ended in Punt and SOD. The AF SOD was a dramatic goal line stand where AF had 4 shots from the inside the S03. That AF drive was 17p 87y 8+ minutes. In a brilliant bit of coaching, SJ HC Brennan called timeout after each stop to give his D a breather. AF did outgain them 149-92 in the 1st H. San Jose scored 2 TDs in the 3rd Q from Starkel to Deese. AF finally got on the board early 4th, but a penalty on the xpt moved the ball closer for AF to try and get a 2pt conversion. But again, SJ St D stuffed AF short keeping the score 14-6. SJ St would go on a 15p 78y nearly 8minute drive for FG to mostly put the game out of reach 17-6 F. AF did miss a 45y FG they kicked on 1st down with less than a minute to go. AF finished with a narrow 298-294 TY edge. The win marked the first time San Jose State beat an FBS opponent in it's season opener since 1984. It's only the second time San Jose ever beat Air Force.

Wyoming lost their starting QB to a broken ankle on the first series of the game. It was Chambers first game back from a broken leg that ended his season early last year. Wyoming had a plan to play two QBs with Levi Lewis staring in the 2019 bowl game taking over. But Wyoming's offense was badly ineffective managing just two FGs (one after a fumble deep in Nevada territory). Meanwhile in the 1st H Nevada scored 2 TDs, but were stopped on 4th down at the W01, fumbled at the W38 and had twoTDs called back by penalty. First half yardage was 293 to 106 for Pack. Nevada would lead 28-6 in the 3rd Q. A targeting penalty seemed to spark the WYO offense as they went 3p 65y...28-13. From this point the WYO D was absolutely smoothering and Nevada played not to lose, holding on for dear life. Bohl challenged his OL on a 4th down from their own territory which they picked up and would go for another TD...28-20. By mid-4th Q the game was tied at 28-28 with all the momentum in the world with Wyoming. Then two punts were the absolute difference in this game. The first, a 76 yarder that Wyoming allowed to hit the turf and bounce down to the 10 led to an INT at the W09, but the scared Nevada O would only muster a FG out of that gaining just 5 yards. 31-28. WYO had all 3 timeouts and with the clock running Bohl opted to punt as the clock ticked inside 2 minutes to go trailing by 3. Risky move! But he knew how his D was playing and they in fact forced a 3 and out. WYO put two returners back to receive the punt, but they again allowed it to hit and bounce, this one going out at the 1 yard line! Still, WYO rather easily went right down the field, assisted by a late hit out of bounds and found themselves with a 1st down at the N25 with about a minute to go and a timeout. But 3 straight incompletions made for a tough FG attempt. WYO's #1 FG kicker was out with a groin injury and instead they had a walkon true freshman kicker, who did made his first two attempts. He was iced, badly missed a trial run FG after one of the timeouts, but then hit the one that mattered to force the game to OT! Had that last punt been field and WYO got any return out of it they likely could've been in better position for a game winning TD in regulation. The Nevada D rose up in OT with two TFLs and forced a FG and finally Nevada O got some thing going again and found the EZ for the 40-37 win. That Nevada punter should get MVP.

Boise State outgained Utah State 450-230 and Broncos led 28-0. Utah State had just 45 yards of O in the 1st H! Boise had a 17 to 1 FD advantage in the opening half!! Boise seemed a little disinterested to open the 2nd H and Utah St would go 16p 80y to get on the board and then a blk'd punt led to another Aggie TD and the game amazingly was just 28-13. Bosie responded, then Utah St was SOD at their own 37 and Boise tacked on another TD to make it 42-13.

San Diego State - UNLV was as big of a mismatch as I have ever seen in the 1st H. Aztecs had a 313 to 25 yard edge in the 1st H and could've lead by much more than the 27-0 score. SDSt kicked a FG on 4th and 1 with the announcers questioning why (SD St was gashing them on the ground), Announcers said "honestly the only reason San Diego State is kicking this FG is just to get their kicker some work). Then they got greedy before HT with :06 left tried to score a TD from the 1...which it appeared they did, but replay overturned the TD (ball hit ground, didn't look like it to me), but they did still have time for a FG from the 1. So already on the Aztecs and having just witnessed said mismatch, I proceeded to bet SDSt -4.5 2nd H. Easy money right? College football. Well..the 2019 Aztecs showed up. They somehow went 3-and-out 3x in the third quarter gaining a total of just 10 yards! Meanwhile UNLV scored a TD on their opening possesion of the 3rd converting all 3 of their 3rd downs to more than double their 1st H yardage output on one drive alone! In fact it got so bad that the full game cover was briefly in question, but SDSt stopped UNLV around the S05 on 4th down. SDSt reasserted themselves, went down and scored, and then very late 4th Q, UNLV fumbled which SDSt recovered at the 10 yard line, but Hoke opted to kill the final 1-1/2 minutes with knees rather than running another one in. Total yards ended up being 424-186 in the 34-6 F. UNLV played 3 QBs.

Last edited:
I want to take somebody in the game and keep flip flopping. I feel like Hawaii is has the better team. I will probably end up on them wherever the line stops at and under. It feels a little wrong to see them as a road fav, I don't like that vs an always tough and gritty Wyoming team. Would rather be getting a couple points atleast. I don't like the line so I feel weird trying to pick a team.

New Mexico cant practice in the state of NM currently, so after SJSU this weekend, they will go and stay and practice in Las Vegas, to prepare for next Sat game at Hawaii.

Wow what a mess for Lobos. Feel bad for them, it's going to be a rough season for them in more ways than one.

It will get colder tonight in Laramie and the wind always blows there. Good though that Hawaii has spent this past week in Denver so they are getting used to the temperatures, not like Hawaii and southern Cal kids ever get used to it, but better than just showing up day before you know.

It will get colder tonight in Laramie and the wind always blows there. Good though that Hawaii has spent this past week in Denver so they are getting used to the temperatures, not like Hawaii and southern Cal kids ever get used to it, but better than just showing up day before you know.
This weather is as good as it gets for the island boys. They lucked out. 5 days ago it was 15

The fact that the 'bows aren't having to do that 1365364 hr flight to the mainland is such a smart idea...coach taking advantage of virtual learning

I don't think it is an easy game. I feel better about the under. Don't second guess yourself, if Wyoming wins and you get out of it you'll be pissed. If they lose, you had your reasons right? I can live with me being wrong, but I hate when something makes me change my mind and then I'm wrong.

Back