Mountain West Information

Scoresandodds.com shows it as Hawaii -3 now. Hard to feel great about that...expecting to and having to win by 4 on the road for Hawaii. I mean they can, but as for value?

I don't think it is an easy game. I feel better about the under. Don't second guess yourself, if Wyoming wins and you get out of it you'll be pissed. If they lose, you had your reasons right? I can live with me being wrong, but I hate when something makes me change my mind and then I'm wrong.
I have no real reason lol. @Jackpot777 is my friend and wanted Friday action....little did I know when I blind bet Minny & WYO, he was already on MD & the bows....dude has the midas touch

Was just doing some reading about the MWC, and I'm not sure everyone knows this but the state of New Mexico has certain quarentine rules in place that makes it look like the Lobos are literally going to be on the road all season. They are practicing at UNLV this week then flying to HI to play the bows this weekend.

These are unprecedented times, so I'm not sure how much it means, but as far as betting goes it sure seems like something to consider when a team is on the road literally all year

Was just doing some reading about the MWC, and I'm not sure everyone knows this but the state of New Mexico has certain quarentine rules in place that makes it look like the Lobos are literally going to be on the road all season. They are practicing at UNLV this week then flying to HI to play the bows this weekend.

These are unprecedented times, so I'm not sure how much it means, but as far as betting goes it sure seems like something to consider when a team is on the road literally all year

CPA-hole mentioned in it somewhere. Lobos going all 2020 Barnstormer on the league!

New Mexico was quite a bit more competitive than I expected. Will have to revisit that SJ game and brush up more on them. Albuquerque Journal is all subscriber only now, but I go here to get a fan base read on things: The Lair NM

Recaps from week of 10/30, 10/31

Not initially, but as the game wore on Colorado State looked like a team that had yet to play a game while Fresno was in the proverbial game 1 to game 2 improvement. For CSU it showed up by allowed 3rd-and-12, 3rd-and-16 and 3rd-and-17 conversions! Fresno converted 10-of-18 3rd down to CSU's 4-of-15. Fresno executed in the RZ scoring on all 5 trips with TDs on 4. CSU was just 3 of 5 on RZ scoring trips (1 FGs 2 TD). CSU started QB Todd Centeio a Temple transfer over 2019 starter Patrick O'Brien. Centeio has mobility, but lacks passing accuracy and decision making. He finished 10-23-141-0-0 leading with 89y rushing before O'Brien relived him very late in the game. Addazio says with receivers Wright and McCullouch out with covid contract tracing (and being without stud WR Warren Jackson opt-out) that more mobile QB would better suit the Rams O. Maybe that idea was true, but Centeio was not the answer. Fresno was better prepared for a running QB after Hawaii had gashed them the week prior. Fresno's Haener went 22-32-311-3-0 but was sacked 4x. Fresno led 24-10 HT with a 307-173 1st H yardage edge. For the game Fresno outgained them 432-381 (5.5-5.3). Fresno had a 4th Q TD of just 17y drive after recovering a fumble. And one of CSU's TDs was with just :41 left in the game.

Hawaii looked adversely effected by the cold and breezing weather in Laramie or the fact of staying on the mainland and not getting in great practices in Denver (weather) or some combination, whatever the reason, Hawaii looked bad. Wyoming dominated the game out of the gate, but only led 10-7 HT. WYO drove for opening TD, then got a UH fumble at the H25, but had to settle for FG. UH gained just 37 yards on their first 4 possessions! WYO was leading 10-0 and had the ball 1st and goal at the H03, on 3rd down QB Lewis fumbled which was recovered for a 14y loss and WYO would miss a 36y FG. Cordeiro connected on a 47y pass and UH was able to drive 6p 80y for a TD with under 1min left in the half...10-7. UH missed a 44y FG to open the 3rd, teams exchanged punts, but afterwards WYO put their foot down allowing UH to enter WYO territory just once on their next 5 possessions (W43 INT'd) while WYO scored TDs on 3 of their final 5 possessions (fumbled at H11 on one of the others). WYO doubled them in FDs 24-12 and outgained them 393-233 (5.1-4.1) with a 281-123 (4.8-4.0) rushing yard advantage. Wyoming D got 5 sacks.

New Mexico took their opening possession to the S29, but missed a FG. San Jose's first drive was SOD at the N31. Exchanging some punts, NM was called for an illegal punt defense formation giving San Jose a FD and San Jose took that drive for a 7-0 lead. Yards in the 1st Q were just 119-82 for SJ. NM was called for offside on an incomplete 3rd down pass, keeping that drive alive and San Jose continued on to build a 14-0 lead. NM responded with 3 big chunk plays going down the field...14-7. WR Tre Walker had an amazing TD catch (Deese had one last week) to go up 21-7. NM drove to the S04 and opted to go for a 4th down and scored...21-14 HT. SJ outgained them 307-240 in the 1st H. NM tied it to open the 3rd...21-21, SJ quickingly retook a 24-21 lead. SJ got a 69y TD pass right before the end of the 3rd which Lobo HC Gonzalas said took the wind out of their sails. 31-21. NM was INT'd and SJ went for a 4th down from the 1 and scored...38-21. NM got the ball back with under 3min left and did get to the S21 with a FD before throwing 4 straight incompletions. San Jose finished with a 579-443 (7.5-5.9) TY edge although NM outrushed them 149-98 (3.7-3.5). SJ was 8-of-17 3rd down to NM's just 4-of-14. NM was down 3 DB starters not due to covid (Martins suspended and other two academics). SJ WR Gaither caught 10-208-TD and Walker 9-107-2TD. Starkel 34-47-467-5-0. Tuioti 20-35-294-2-1 and led team in rushing 14att-69net-TD.

Nevada QB Carson Strong extended his nation long consecutive pass streak without an INT to 230. Strong went 21-27-350-2-0. 219 of those yards went to WR Romeo Doubs. After playing 3 QBs in their opener, UNLV went with Max Gilliam the entire way 27-40-207-2-0. Each team punted just once in the 1st H. UNLV's inability to score TDs in the RZ proved costly after their first two drives got to the N19 and N14 before FGs. Nevada led 24-12 at HT and UNLV had an empty RZ possession in the 2nd H with a SOD. Nevada themselves kicked 2 FGs from the RZ in the 2nd H and 3 total for the game. Nevada had a big 9.2 to 4.8 yards per play advantage. TY were 497-348 for Wolfpack and 3rd downs were 60% to 31%, although UNLV did convert 5-of-6 4th downs!

Air Force outgained Boise 484 to 459 including a whopping 415 rush yards to Boise's 179 rush yards. Jack Sears started for Bachmeier and hit a 75y TD pass on the first play of the game. AF tied then would lead 14-7. Boise tied then AF kicked FG...17-14. Boise went up 21-17 then got the ball back with just 1:22 left in the 2nd Q and quickly moved 5p 63y to extend the lead to 28-17. AF converted 4th down and had a 1st down at the B18, but had to settle for a FG which they missed. Boise scored again...35-17 then AF converted 4th down and went on for a TD...35-24. Boise ret'd the KO 88y for TD...42-24. Boise would score again 49-24 before AF scored with just 2min left for the final margin...49-30. Boise only faced 3rd down 4x (converted 2). Each team punted just twice, while Boise scored 7 TDs, AF had drives end in two FGA where they went 1 for 2 on. AF was just 30% 3rd down conv but did go 3-of-3 4th down. AF QB Haaziq Daniels left the field with an injury in the 1st Q.

San Diego State dominated the 1st H at Utah State more than the score reveals. SD St missed two FGs from the 16 and 28 then made a FG from the 11 while only scoring 1 TD on their 5 possessions. Meanwhile, USU barely crossed midfield just once (SD45) on their first 5 possessions. On USU's final possession of the half they connected on a 37y TD as time expired for the 10-7 score. SD St continued their dominance in the 2nd H, but this time got the scores to make it count. 4 straight TDs to open the 2nd H and still USU only crossed midfield once all 2nd H! TY 570-215 (7.1-3.8) for Aztecs with 407 on the ground (7.7)! USU gave QB Andrew Peasley a try late, he was INT'd on one of his 9 attempts.

Last edited:
I don't see any opt outs for San Jose State. They list a JC NT in Jay Kakiva starting. He was their highest rated overall recruit.

5-7 last year. Not a bad looking team this year just need some big improvement in the run D still. Will be interesting to see if there is much drop off from Love to Starkel. The supporting cast on O is largely the same.

I think their run d has looked vastly improved while the offense looks pretty solid with Starkel. I love them with the points this week vs sdst.

I think their run d has looked vastly improved while the offense looks pretty solid with Starkel. I love them with the points this week vs sdst.

I like them as well. Option D vs power run D is a little different, but still I am comfortable risking it on this team. Starkel with experience vs SEC D should help and the receivers both WR and the TE are outstanding. They have made some amazing catches (Deese and Walker) on balls only the receiver could make plays on. Gaither is the other receiver, he just caught for 200y last week, but no circus catches yet.

Like I mentioned on another game, I think it is important to not just find positive reinforcement on one team but also cast a little doubt on another. SDST has a great roster, but last years uneven play may be trickling over to this year. When they are executing they are very good. But they are also showing similar inconsistency to prior versions. They have not been forced to do something they don’t want to yet, in the rare instances they have been challenged They haven’t made all the plays and that is vs anemic UNLV and Utah St.

So San Jose vs AF and UNM has played more competitive games and I’d think they are capable of competing vs a tougher opponent.

The games the last two years were close. I don’t think San Jose has ever beat them, but the last two years prove these teams may not be all that far apart. San Diego State should be, they just don’t play like it.

I like them as well. Option D vs power run D is a little different, but still I am comfortable risking it on this team. Starkel with experience vs SEC D should help and the receivers both WR and the TE are outstanding. They have made some amazing catches (Deese and Walker) on balls only the receiver could make plays on. Gaither is the other receiver, he just caught for 200y last week, but no circus catches yet.

Like I mentioned on another game, I think it is important to not just find positive reinforcement on one team but also cast a little doubt on another. SDST has a great roster, but last years uneven play may be trickling over to this year. When they are executing they are very good. But they are also showing similar inconsistency to prior versions. They have not been forced to do something they don’t want to yet, in the rare instances they have been challenged They haven’t made all the plays and that is vs anemic UNLV and Utah St.

So San Jose vs AF and UNM has played more competitive games and I’d think they are capable of competing vs a tougher opponent.

The games the last two years were close. I don’t think San Jose has ever beat them, but the last two years prove these teams may not be all that far apart. San Diego State should be, they just don’t play like it.

Aztecs just don’t run a offense I’m ever comfortable laying bigger numbers with when playing a capable opponent. I have no freaking clue how they were only -8.5 to Utah st and laying more here? There no way in hell that makes sense to me! I’m prob higher on San Jose st than most power rankings cause I have a tendency to grow fond of teams who start covering a lot for me as this team has the last 2 years (lol), but even those power rankings I see have them rated significantly higher than Utah st. Way more than the home/away difference would be which I think basically minimal to none in lot these games this year.

Last year sdst gashed them for like 260 or something on the ground and it was still a 10 point game. That kinda leads me to believe even worst case and they can have their way on the ground and it still could be competitive, and if San Jose st has in fact improved some in stopping the run I think they have a real shot. I don’t think there much chance in hell sdst gonna be able to hand it off 50x and just walk over them like they have done to the bums they seen thus far, I’ve seen this offense far to many times struggle to reach 20 when they were sizable favs for me to believe that has changed much. Including the last 2x they faced this team.

I doubt sjst will have much of any success on the ground cause the Aztec run d is legit, good news is that really not a big part the offense anyways and I gotta believe sjst can get us at least 2 tds and a fg with their passing game. That might not win it but it damn sure covers imo, and they might just get into the 20s which would make the outcome real interesting imo.

UNLV has been starting a pair of freshman at CB, Sir Oliver Evertt (RS) and Nohl Williams (true). Those are the only two frosh starting on D. On O they have Kyle Williams #1 jersey at WR (true) and Leif Fautanu at C (RS). The other 4 OL are upperclassman with returning starting experience including USC grad trans Clayton Bradley who started a few games and played in 20 at SC. He's UNLV's starting LT. Fellow transfer Adam Plant (from TCU) is starting at DE, he was a late add. And one of the stranger ones is Colgate transfer Tre Caine, he is starting FS, he was WR at Colgate in 2017-18. He redshirted last year at UNLV and is listed as a walk-on.

Two returning starting WRs Mekhi Stevenson and Randal Grimes are no longer on the roster. Neither is returning FS Greg Francis.

Appears the 3 DBs who are back are: CB Tony Collier, Lobo Nico Bolden, CB Michael LoVett. They are atop the depth chart this week after having not played last week. Don't see Donte Martin on the 2-deep (12 starts last year).

So, from what I can tell now....and this comes with tons and tons of salt....I think SJST, SDST, Nevada are all pretty good teams....Fresno, CSU, WY look pretty decent...USU and UNLV look bad. Boise State is def good, but if they keep that third string QB, I dont know what to think. Honestly, I just havent seen enough of Air Force to have an opinion and I dont know what to make of UNM with how they are dealing with Covid...I would lean that UNM is a better team, but they are just in an awful spot. Also...Im torn on the 'Bows too...they seem really up and down.

So, from what I can tell now....and this comes with tons and tons of salt....I think SJST, SDST, Nevada are all pretty good teams....Fresno, CSU, WY look pretty decent...USU and UNLV look bad. Boise State is def good, but if they keep that third string QB, I dont know what to think. Honestly, I just havent seen enough of Air Force to have an opinion and I dont know what to make of UNM with how they are dealing with Covid...I would lean that UNM is a better team, but they are just in an awful spot. Also...Im torn on the 'Bows too...they seem really up and down.

Yes, for sure USU looks bad.

I think we have to realize the improvement UNLV has made from game 1 to game 3. They look like a completely different team. They were 1 of 14 on 3rd down vs SDSt, 5 of 13 against Nevada and 11 of 20 vs Fresno and converted both 4th-and-1s they had. They put up 402 yards of O vs Fresno including 242 rushing. Rebel D held Fresno to 4 of 12 on 3rd down.

UNLV also had a player, Windmon with 2.5 sacks vs Fresno, that is the most by one player in a single game for them since 2006!

I am a little worried to think their improvement is going to be a straight line upward, because nothing ever is. I want to take them this week as San Jose beating San Diego State truly is a huge win for them and the potential for let down exists...then again, wins like that for up and coming teams can further energize.

Anyway...I just want to make clear that UNLV is definitely progressing in a meaingful and visible way through their first 3 games.

I too am very torn on Hawaii. I think I will like then when dogs, not when favored.

Recaps from Thursday 11/5 - Friday 11/6

Nevada got off to a slow start and would trail Utah State 0-9 (safety and USU TD drive). Nevada would win 34-9 however with a 542-210 TY edge. After USU's TD drive, they did not cross midfield again until their very last drive of the game vs Nevada's backups (8 consecutive punts from own territory or 50 yard line). Nev QB Carson Strong went 36-52-411-3-0 but was sacked 4x. Taua ran 12-107-TD (and also caught 7 passes) and Doubs caught 7-137-3TD.

Carson Strong has now thrown 282 passes without an INT, leading the NCAA. He could pass Derek Carr's 306 MWC leading mark next week.

Nevada started Daiyan Henley at LB for the first time, he responded with a team high 8 tackles (had 4 in prior to games as reserve). Henley was a HS QB, a WR at Nev, a DB at Nev and now has a home at LB.

Per ESPN's FPI Nevada has played the 103rd ranked schedule out of 115 teams.

Utah State's 210 yards were a season high. They did get RB Jaylen Warren back and he rushed for 109 (4.4).

HC Gary Anderson has been fired as Utah State has opened 0-3 for the first time in 12 years. 38 year old Frank Maile will serve as interim. He played HS football in Utah, played for USU 2004-2007, team captain as a senior. He has been on USU's staff since 2009 to current except for one season as Vanderbilt's DL coach. He also served as the interim HC for the bowl after Matt Wells left.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Colorado State jumped out 17-0 after a pick-six, a 1p 29y TD "drive" following a sack/fumble and a 8p 37y FG drive after WYO SOD (CSU also missed a FG among those first 4 possessions). After such a disastrous start WYO did score TDs on back-to-back 2nd Q possessions. CSU led 24-14 HT. WYO cut it to 24-17 on a 25y FG. CSU extended the lead to 31-17, WYO scored TD then CSU kicked a 48y FG killing over 5minues on 11 plays to lead 34-24 with about 2min left. WYO held a 465-342 TY edge (5.8-5.4) and even after sacks a rushing yard edge of 144-87 (3.0-2.4) - Vallady had 147. Williams passed for 321 with over 10ypa. O'Brien started and went 18-26-255-2-0, CSU's leading rusher Vivens had just 62y but McElroy added 20.

CSU WR Wright (frosh AA) DNP game 1, but caught a career high 10-146 and TE McBride 5-90-2TD.

Wyoming was playing without starting OL Stofer and Harris (already without multi-year starter Velazquez) which likely contributed to CSU's strong front 7 racking up 6 sacks (plus 7 more hurries) and 14 TFLs.

The boot is back in Fort Collins after Wyoming owned it for 4 straight years.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

BYU handed Boise State their worst home loss in 24 years in a 51-17 Friday night beat down. With starting QB Bachmeier still out, second string QB Jack Sears was injured mid-1st Q leaving true Fr QBs Fennegan and later Peters to try and lead the team. Boise was also without top RB George Holani. Boise RB depth is thinner without Mahone this year. Behind Andrew Van Buren there is only Danny Smith who was also out and a walkon Tyler Crowe. WR Octavius Evans wears #1 jersey although not a ton of production (only 4 catches first 2 games, 6th leading receiver last year) was also out. On defense Boise was playing without pass rushing DE Demitri Washington who tore his ACL vs AF the week prior.

Boise was able to delay the inevitable for a bit in the first half. BYU led 16-3 HT with only one of Boise's possessions venturing into BYU territory. In the 2nd H BYU scored TDs on 5 straight possessions and led 45-3 before Boise scored a couple garbage TDs. Boise got 131y on those 4th Q TD drives. BYU outgained them 573-310 (8.8-4.8) including a 213-61 RY edge (5.8-2.3). Wilson 22-28-360-3-0, only 8 net y rushing. Allgeier 14-123-2TD (long 86). Romney 6-133.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

San Jose State is 3-0 for the first time since 1982 and beat San Diego State for the first time as MWC foes (had lost previous 6).

SJ QB Nick Starkel had thrown 7 TD passes and over 700y in the first 2 games but was knocked out on the first series putting the Spartan's hopes in doubt. Back up Nick Nash had never had extended playing time, rather being a seldom used spot situational player. SJ trailed 0-10 while the SJ O went 3-and-out 4 straight after Starkel left. Nash led an unexpected and critical 94y TD drive very late in the 1st H to make the score 10-7 HT. Due to that drive, SD St only had a 166-144 1st H yardage edge. SJ D stuffed a 4th-and-1 QB sneak at the SJ20 to open the 3rd Q. Then SJ threw an INT at the SD23. SJ took a 14-10 lead near the end of the 3rd Q with SD ST still holding to a 299-243 TY edge. SD St scored early 4th Q to lead 17-14 and SJ went 3-and-out. SD ST QB Baker was about to be sacked and he tried throwing the ball away, but it went backwards and was recovered by SJ a the SD17, 2 plays later SJ regained the lead 21-17. SD ST drove into the RZ but were INT'd in the EZ with 6min left in the game. SJ punted with 3-1/2 minutes left, but SD ST fumbled the punt after a perfectly timed hit handing SJ the ball back and Nash capped the scoring on a 14y run to make it 28-17! SD ST got as far as the SJ38 were they were stopped on downs with :19 left.

SD ST still outgained them 362-298 (4.8-5.2), but thanks to a strong 4th Q, SJ actually outrushed them 116-101 (4.0-2.2). SJ D did get 3 sacks. SD ST had two empty RZ possessions and Aztecs lost 3 TOs, net -2 TOs (one INT in EZ and two fumbles both handed SJ short field TDs of 17 and 27 yards.

SD St entered the game averaging 347 yards rushing (vs UNLV and USU), SJ held them to 101! SJ is holding their opponents this year to just 99.7 yards rushing on average. Especially impressive considering they have played run heavy Air Force and SD St when last season SJ rush D was 6th worse in the nation.

SJ runs a 3-4 defense typically, but they employed a 4-3 vs Air Force and went that route again vs SD ST using their two JUCO NTs to clog the middle.

Last edited:
Yes, for sure USU looks bad.

I think we have to realize the improvement UNLV has made from game 1 to game 3. They look like a completely different team. They were 1 of 14 on 3rd down vs SDSt, 5 of 13 against Nevada and 11 of 20 vs Fresno and converted both 4th-and-1s they had. They put up 402 yards of O vs Fresno including 242 rushing. Rebel D held Fresno to 4 of 12 on 3rd down.

UNLV also had a player, Windmon with 2.5 sacks vs Fresno, that is the most by one player in a single game for them since 2006!

I am a little worried to think their improvement is going to be a straight line upward, because nothing ever is. I want to take them this week as San Jose beating San Diego State truly is a huge win for them and the potential for let down exists...then again, wins like that for up and coming teams can further energize.

Anyway...I just want to make clear that UNLV is definitely progressing in a meaingful and visible way through their first 3 games.

I too am very torn on Hawaii. I think I will like then when dogs, not when favored.
this is the type of info that I needed....these are great points about UNLV that i missed and overlooked. They do like they are getting better and will be fun to see if they keep improving

this is the type of info that I needed....these are great points about UNLV that i missed and overlooked. They do like they are getting better and will be fun to see if they keep improving

I am very conflicted in this game...I kind of get attached to teams that treat me good and I have been on San Jose all 3 this year and ML'd both their upset wins.

UNLV is a team I bet against game 1 then bet on and ML'd game 3. I like what I have seen too much to want to fade them vs San Jose but also understand this UNLV team is just as likely to get a break-through win as they are to lose by 30. If I didn't watch the Fresno-UNLV game I might not think as favorably of them, but the way they played in the first 3 quarters impressed me. They legit had a shot to win that game entering the 4th Q, then turned the ball over 3x in 2nd H and Fresno outscored them 13-0 in the final period. I also have to consider that Fresno might not be very good to allow UNLV to look so good for so long in that game. I'm considering if taking a chance on Utah St vs them this week if they worth my money, considering the coaching change and all, I like the coaching change aspect, but I doubt he can fix a bad QB and reserve QBs who aren't any good either. Maybe just hope they can execute a run heavy game?

Back to San Jose vs UNLV...I think their game vs New Mexico shows me that San Jose isn't the team to just expect to blow out and pull away from teams. Compared to Nevada on the other hand who keeps proving they are that team in wins vs UNLV and Utah State. We see San Jose favored by DD...it isn't the same thing as seeing Nevada favored by DD. We question both, one team is proving they are capable of doing it. San Jose?

I will probably be on UNLV and maybe ML. I usually just think on it all week and decide Saturday. I don't bet anything until game day anyway.

Might like to get @CPA-hole's take as well since I'm sure he paid more attention to the New Mexico - San Jose game than I did.

We'll have to check Starkel's status this week if the concussion was bad enough to knock him out this game as well.

Saturday 11/7 recaps

Fresno State outgained UNLV 487-402 (6.9-5.2), but the 40-27 score is a little misleading. UNLV led on two separate occasions in the 1st H, Fresno led just 20-17 HT and the game was tied 27-27 entering the 4th Q.

UNLV lost 3 TOs, Fresno lost 1, Fresno's fumble occurred when Bulldogs were killing clock with just :09 left. UNLV's turnovers were more costly. Fresno converted a 3rd Q UNLV fumble into a 3p 25y TD drive and later in a 7 point game in the 4th Q Gilliam threw his first INT at his own 36 yard line (which Fresno kicked FG and led by 10 after). His second INT was at the 50 with under 2min left in the game trailing by 13.

Game featured long QB TD runs, a 54 yarder by Haener and a 71 yarder by Gilliam. Haener was sacked 4x and finished with 54 net yard rushing, Gilliam was sacked 6x but still finished with a team leading net of 139y rushing (8.7).

Gilliam was having a career day considering his production on the ground before the 4th Q were he completed just 1 of 7 passes and threw those 2 picks and was sacked 3x in the final Q. He finished 15-31-160-1-2. RB Williams 27-92-TD.

Each team kicked two short FGs from the RZ. Fresno was 3 of 5 TDs and UNLV was 1 of 3 TDs on RZ trips.

Ronnie Rivers is one of the MWC POW with his 133y rushing and 3 TDs, he also led in receiving 6-99-TD. Haener went 15-23-164-1-0.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

New Mexico led by 20-7 in the 2nd Q at Hawaii. UH threw an INT and went back-to-back 3-and-outs while NM was building that lead. It was 20-14 HT. UH scored back-to-back TDs to open the 3rd to take a 28-20 lead, but NM responded with a TD 28-27. Then the NM O started to bog down. NM did retake a 30-28 lead, failing to score TDs cost them as kicked two FGs, one from the 17 yard line sandwiched around 10 pts for UH. NM QB Tuioti was knocked out of the game late, UH Lockrdige was ejected for targeting.

New Mexico returned "home" to Las Vegas where the team is headquartering rather than going back to Albuquerque due to public heath restrictions. Gonzales credits NM's improvement in the running game on a full undisrupted week of practice in Las Vegas.

Yards essentially even 503-499 (7.0-6.7) for UH. NM ran for 279y (7.3) to Hawaii's just 93 (3.3). UH lost 3 TOs, NM lost 1. One of Hawaii's INTs was at the NM05 with :03 left in the 1st H. NM's INT was thrown by backup QB Hall at the UH19 with 4min to go.

Cordeiro 33-43-410-3-2, leading rusher 10-39-TD.
Tuioti 17-31-181-2-0, 71y rushing. Tuioti was once recruited by Hawaii.

New Mexico had won 7 of the last 8 in series and while they do not play every year, it was the first Hawaii win over NM at Aloha stadium since 1991.

SJSU has been good to me, but I'm probably staying away from this game this week. Haven't seen much of UNLV so far, but it could be a hangover game for SJSU.

As far as the SJSU/UNM game @s--k , it was basically too much Tre Walker. He made two long, acrobatic touchdown catches on 3rd and long. SJSU exploited the Lobos leaky secondary with 4 long touchdown throws. NM battled back and moved the ball. But SJSU hit a !ong TD pass right at the end of the 3rd quarter to make it 31-21 and iced it.

Anyone have updates on Boise players?

Only thing I could find was from Sunday, meaning there would be practices they might or might not be available for and Harsin isn't very forthcoming on talking about injuries.

Question at the #1 and #2 QB and #1 RB as the most critical and then some receivers might be in or out. Read 4 players missed the BYU game due to covid, don't know those names either or if it is better or worse this week.

Kind of a tough game. The 14 points certainly seems attractive. I think CSU has a chance to compete...and 3 of the last 4 in this series have been one score games despite typical large Boise point spreads. CSU usually loses in the trenches vs a team like Boise and has QB issues. I think Boise is down at the LOS scrimmage this year and I think CSU front 7 is decent. Big loss for Boise was their pass rusher Washington to ACL. They have not created pass rush with traditional 4 man rush so some blitzing will be in order. And that is worrisome vs O'Brien because he isn't the most mobile guy, he can move, but sometimes wilts too. He was 26-40-289-2-2 last year vs Boise in the 24-31 home loss.

Adazzio will probably want to try and run the ball, which this CSU team isn't really good at. Their best players are at TE and WR.

Normally I like to play on teams off embarrassing losses like Boise is, I just don't think they are that superior to CSU. No matter who plays for Boise at QB or RB or WR, figure it probably comes down to the decisions O'Brien makes. I'll bet that CSU D can hold up their end as long as O'Brien can hold up his.

So any personnel updates for the Broncos or we have to wait til gametime to find out?

Wow. SK you are a treasure. All of my questions were addressed if not answered with your comments. I played under. It will be a cold night, not bitter but appropriate. I love Holani and hope he plays. If I picked a side definitely Boise

Per Boise blog:

Injury update: Hearing Boise State running back George Holani is doubtful to play Thursday night against Colorado State.

Not good news for the Broncos, who really struggled to run the ball without him against BYU.

— B.J. Rains (@BJRains) November 10, 2020

Yet line is going up! How good is CSU pass defense? Boise might try to air it out.

I think the bigger issue is can CSU protect O’Brien from Boise pass rush. If they can then CSU has skill players in Wright and McBride that are every bit as good as what Boise has.
Hopefully Adazzio learned his lesson with Centio and has moved on from that nonsense. CSU held their own against Wyoming ground game. I think both teams could score tonight 35-28 or 38-31 wouldn’t shock me.

From TimH article link:

Harsin compared Bachmeier being on the sidelines for the BYU game to Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence being on the sideline for the Tigers’ matchup with Notre Dame on Saturday night.

Boise St FH...

Twitter updates are great for pregame info. I almost think we should have an entire thread for Saturday twitter news.

So Bachmeier likely a go. Holani and Bates likely out. Having either Bachmeier or Sears is key. Not that it makes me like Boise, but might influence the amount I choose to put on CSU.

As for CSU pass D? If the game 1 vs Fresno was any indication, it isn't good. Wyoming doesn't challenge the same way Fresno did or the same way Boise could. So really we just have the Fresno performance which CSU had explained away as communication I think I read at one point. This CSU team I figured matches up better vs the run.

Boise has been lacking pass rush, they are going to have to create it.

One thing I was thinking of, and I don't know how much this can really be used because it was all sight unseen game 1 pointspread stuff, but Boise was only -17 vs Utah State. Utah State is awful. Boise would be minus more now if they played Utah State again given downward adjustment everyone would've given USU. But I have a problem with Boise being favored by nearly as many points (15.5 now) vs CSU at home as they were vs USU (17) also at home. If there was some belief that Boise getting blown out vs BYU would create some sort of line value on Boise for this game, that definitely is not the case as I see it.

So, looks like Bachmeier is "bach".

However, looks like they're missing several key starters: RB Holani, TE Bates, C Holomalia-Gonzalez

And fresh tweet just now confirms Holani is indeed OUT tonight.

I'm wondering, with Washington done for the year on Boise...CSU likely has the better DL. Secondary I definitely give that to Boise. Not sure about LBs, probably Boise.

I don't know how to compare or evaluate the OLs.

I think CSU has better receivers (WR/TEs).

Bachmeier > O'Brien

Harsin = Adazzio?

Boise definitely is going to be pissed and out to prove something. That alone keeps me off any potential CSU ML. Like CSU to compete...just not sure how much I like that.

I'm still wondering how team is taking to Adazio. I'm not sure the team is fully into him. He is a task master and this is 1st year

Good and fair question. Beating Wyoming for the Boot likely went pretty far, but it is a big change for them.

Back