Monday NBA

SportsNut

Breaking it down briefly
Havent had much time of late and it might be like that for awhile. Felt like absolute crap yesterday after a long nite out in the city @ Crobar on Sat. My old ass just cant hang anymore I guess. With 2 huge plays on Da Bears {8units} and Colts {20units bewteen ML & spread} , I felt no need to even attempt to cap basketball. Okay I lied...most of the afternoon was a struggle to keep my eyes open so I couldnt even if I wanted to. I took the time to catch up with my Jan record and sort of look at my month to date ...reread my old threads and such and do some silly math...I should start a spreadsheet I guess. Anyway I have noticed that I had some huge days which were great but also since the Death of Pinnacle my 1st half and 2nd Half plays have been HORRIBLE. Alot of it seems to be West Coast 2nd H plays but as someone who absolutely had a great handle on Half plays for 2 months I was shocked...the majority of it though is the past 10 days....so terrible -110 vig on everything is only making the matter worse. Saturday was one of the least capped days I can recall and managed to go 11-2 on sides & totals ...0-2 on Half plays plus 8-2 posted (4-0 unposted / late posted games on top of that)...

Funny how it works sometimes. My point is College King Rex in one of his recent CBB threads made an excellent point of how the most respected cappers in his office are around 50% then go on big runs 10-2 , 11-1 and so on you get the picture. That is the simple key to longterm success. Always do your best to hover around flat and when you get hot that streak will be profit rather then digging you out of hole. Dont put yourself in a hole. Like the guy who is down 3K on Sat or Sunday and scarambles to make it up or worse get deeper on his last day of the week whether its SUnday or Monday for some. Thats my gambling advice for longterm success. Naturally there is alot more to it and on the daily side. It all boils down to decisions....Good decisions are rewarded and Bad decisions generally are punished. We cant always make the right decision but keeping your mind clear and able is very important. I often torture myself for my decision making and inability at times to trust myself. Well as we approach the midseason point I hope everyone has a handle on the NBA at this point. Usually at this point in any sport my writeups become shorter and I rely simply on what I have learned. The lines generally are tight so my plays tend to shrink and I go with logic more so then handicapping.

Since the New Year 1/1/07{all posted obviously} :

Sides & Totals 86-59{59.3%} +98.88units
1st Quarters -13.42 units
1st Half -28.80 units {-23.25 since Pinny closed}
2nd Half -24.98 units {-14.45 since Pinny closed}
Team totals +0.25 units

So its a tale of two season in a sense. Clearly I will be much more cautious from now on with Half plays but I take comfort in knowing I took in alot more then those losses in Nov & Dec...

Lets start with the early games:
> I had the Pacers game @ Pickem so not crazy about either side. You would think I see value in Chitown but losing 15 of 16 at Conseco and being 6-12 on the road certainly doesnt have me rushing to back them. Further blemishing Chi was Gordon and Nocioni looking like they are hurting pretty bad but will gut it out. I like the new look Pacers with Granger getting more time so I will say I lean towards that way. What I do like is the Under 192.5 here with Chi 2 key players hurting and them being inconsistent on offense. They only avg about 91 pts in losses. Indy is 36-16-1 UNDER versus the Central Division. You know off 4straight(tough)losses they will be emphasis on thsi game especially with the new players and Bulls winning first 2 meetings. Played some Indy -1 already but not sure what to do with it....

> The game in Toronto is giving me trouble. Hard to like Toronto laying so many points bu I just expect Charlotte to eventually lay an egg on teh road with so many key injuries. The total I think is about where it should be had 192 for this matchup....if Tor covers I like the under but in a close game I like the over....so until what side I decided I like which is Charlotte at the moment I dont have any insight on this game....Upon second glance I lean Under for the fact Char shot 64% last game and that still saw on 190 points...Wallace back means better defense along with Okefor playing well again...Bobcats 6-2-1 ATS last 9 away...

> With Coach brown talking about there lack of defense and playing the West Coast style Ilook for a return to that Cavs style ball tonite. This comments lead me to believe the players agree that they got away from what made them successful before going out West....
"In the second half, it was like night and day," said James, who finished with 32 points, seven rebounds, five assists and four steals. "We just dug down and did what we've been doing. Before the three-game losing streak, that's what we were doing. We were getting stops, and we found a way to win."

Odd schedule for both Orlando went West came home for one and started traveling again. With Cle they are returning from there 7 game trip. Personally I lean towards Cle here in a home dominanted series. I think this line is sort of low and expected 5.5 or 6. The one thing keeping me off Orl is I liked how they played in NJ. Howard probably will have a tough time again tonite. Dooling and Hill's status is listed as questionable at the moment. So going 1st H under here...91.5

> In Boston tough to not like SA. They have owned the Celtics in the Pierce years and Paul isnt around. They have crushed bad teamson the road laying big chalk. I have seen some improvement in Boston though past few games since West returned. I do really like SA here especially in the 1st H but remain cautious. I do think the 1st H over 91.5 is attractive. SA offense should be clicking and as I said Boston offense playing better...Expect SA 50 but Unsure if Boston cracks 41..I do think 40 is the low end so on that its near impossible for me to not play the over if I can put it at 90 pts worse case.....

> The Wade injury and his playing status have me off this game for now. I had this at -5.5 with Wade and I cant even take NYK that cheap. You just never know if this team can seal the deal ...two consecutive losses at the buzzer and then they nearly blow an 8 pt lead in 75 seconds...thankfully Granger missed his last moment three!! Rothsteins rotation is confusing at the moment bu he now has a bench. Walker is playing much better and possibly good enough to make up for Wades absence. However Wade played 44 minutes yesterday I dont see why he wouldnt play here.....Whats really troubling is Miami playing th in 5 days and you never know how thats changes Jason Willaims status withhis knee issues. I have to like an Under 195.6 here though especially if Wade is OUT.

Will back with some plays and the late games 9PM EST and after...GL

7PM (unless noted vig is -110)

Nothing significant stands out

Pacers -1 {2units} +2.00
Under 192.5 Indiana {3units} +3.00
Bobcats +9 {2units} ML +380 {1/2unit} -2.70
Under 91.5 Orlando 1st Half {3units} -3.30
Over 91.5 Boston 1st Half {2units} -2.20
Heat -2 {2units} +2.00
Under 195.5 Miami {3units} +3.00

4-1 +4.30 sides&totals
0-2 -5.50 1st Half

Leans : Under 193 Toronto , Cavs and Spurs 1st H more then game

Last edited:
Good Luck Believe ,

I think I could have the Indy ML @ -115 but I just went the -1 . With Wade out I just Wiggled out of my 2 units with NYK +1...but still want Miami just hoping for a plus number.....Thanks and GL

So Heat -2 versus NYK +1..to hopefully flatten myself out

<TABLE class=tborder id=post181981 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_181981>Have to agree with Killa 's logic here the scare part of either total play is the competiveness of the game. A blowout will make the over 233(or whatever number its currently at) extremely tough to get. So the flip is a blowout makes the under look very attractive. The 1st question anyone should be asking is how is the game going to be played out? If you think Memphis will cover it has to be somewhat more then a backdoor cover for an over. Instead of looking at 232, 233 ,234 think about it as 58 pts a quarter... check around Denver and Memphis games that isnt really unrealistic

I think the spread itself is inflated but Denver has started to play better of late. Memphis won in Denver when Melo was playing and Gasol still sidelined...so part of that 2 wins and none of that 18 losses occured in Denver. Some key players listed on Mem injury report Gasol , Swift( I think they need his rebounding) , Eddie Jones (few minutes but I like the option of having somewhere of his skill level available in say garbage time) .

After I have some answers on the injuries I think its easier to form an opinion. I assume Gasol is okay and will play , it would definetly hurt his trade value if he was seriously hurt. Jones battling the Flu might just be kept away and Swift has missed a few games now so I am not sure of his status but for me he is a huge plus.

Anyway I like the points(+11) but I am cautious. The Grizzlies have been awful in the past 2 away game SECOND QUARTERS OPP 73 Grizz 29. Now they stunk period in the Bulls game including the opening quarter and just seemed to get progressively worse. However they played well in Houston in the first away game...I just dont know where they fell apart or if it was simply a matter of inspired ball after the coaching change since they hated Fratello's style. They need to NOT have any Quarters like that.

Bottomline is w/o Melo the Nuggets have played well offensively the past tow basically getting 110 pts in each. Now you look at Mem away and they are allowing 111,112 in blowouts to teams below the offensive capability of Denver. So looking at that factored with the opening line of 10.5 / 232 I think the books expected score is 121 -111 which I think is fair if Mem is competitive.

With the total priced as expecting Denver to score 120 ish I think that is easily attainable here...if Grizz compete and suspect they will I would say 123-117 type game...if they dont more like 119 - 105 ... you have to think that Denver will score 115 pts no matterwhat looking to put show on for the crowd in melo's return and the 1st game he plays wwith AI...

Good Luck all...thats my extended ramble errr take on this game..
<!-- / message --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2>
user_online.gif
</TD><TD class=alt1 align=right><!-- controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

With the line up to +12 its makes the equation tougher but I have to think if Gasol plays then memphis is worth a shot. Even in the old Memphis ways Denver managed 111 , 99 and 115 last three home meetings before the lose this year.

So looking @ +12 , over 233...

SportsNut said:
Good Luck Believe ,

I think I could have the Indy ML @ -115 but I just went the -1 . With Wade out I just Wiggled out of my 2 units with NYK +1...but still want Miami just hoping for a plus number.....Thanks and GL

So Heat -2 versus NYK +1..to hopefully flatten myself out

Wasted my time at the end wound up with Miami +1 -110 ..{2units}

2nd H : -5.90

Cavs -7 {1unit} -1.10
Under 91 Cavs {3units} +3.00
Charlotte +5 {1unit} -1.10
Under 95.5 Indy -105 {1unit} +1.00

ADD:
NYK -5 {4units} -4.40
Boston +2 -105 {2units} +2.00

Add:
Grizz +2.5 +100 {2units}-2.00
Over 114 Memphis {3units} -3.30

The Knicks will make this a game. Miami shot its load.....
GL

Last edited:
9PM :

> Minny @ Utah - Really want to play Utah here except they have sucked as home chalk something like 4-8-1 this season(verfiy that though). The Wolves you can just never figure out have now dropped 3 straight. They did defeat Utah at home so maybe teh improving Jazz want revenge/payback. They Jazz were a buzzer beater from winning 4 straight away ...Chi , Det , Tor losing @ Wash...

Over 192.5 Utah {3units}
Lean : Over 232 Memphis and Memphis +12

Retburj said:
thouhgts on lakeshow?

GSW will be more atletic but damn...there D just go incredibly worse

I'll be playing the Over and GSW...I think there D greatly improved though getting Stephen Jackson...

I just simply have NO LUCK with 1st H plays......

How do I lose Both let alone 1? 82 points with 1:35 remaining in Cle finishes at 92 blowing up by U91.5. Then SA has 82 with 3:30 left and like 86 with 2:30 and finish on 88pts , blowing my O91.5....it just amazes me to no end.....

The team I need cant score 10 pts in 3:30 minutes and the team I dont need scores 10 in 1:30 seconds....

Of course the Spurs cover the 1st H and I liked the Under 99.5 in Miami as well.....Just clueless at this shit!

So we have....

Waiting on the Utah Jazz hoping for a slow start.

Over 192.5 Utah {3units}+3.00
Over 231.5 Memphis {3units}-3.30
Over 117.5 Denver 1st H {1.5units} -1.65
Memphis +12.5 {3units} ML +650 {1/4unit} -3.55

GL

Memphis games seem to be the death of me lately. Really sucks I didnt have Utah!!

Last edited:
10Pm

> Nets I think wil be able to overcome RJs loss cause he was playing hurt and really wasnt contributing much. Its been spectular play by Kidd and Carter on offense with Moore and Collins on defense. The Nets have long been awful vs the Kings and with the injury I wont rush to back them. I cant see laying 5 pts with Sac at the moment. So just sitting till halftime as the nets have really struggled vs SAC but are playing so much better at this current time. Would lean towards the under.....

> late game....two teams who dont play much defense. The Warriors have some new faces and really look improved to me. Without Baron Davis who they never play well w/o they nearly defeated Cle @ Home when Harrington shot 4 of 21!!

Both teams struggle to defend and the OVER is 17-4 past 21 meetings. LA just allowed 113 in New Orleans! GS has seen opponents tally 115 , 128 ,144 , 119 in recent road games. LAL had allowed 113 ,114 past two..

Expect both teams above 110 + and have even if they cover doing so with at least 118...Lakers have struggled against the spread and as favs lately.

Over 225 Lakers {5units}
Warriors +7.5 {3units} ML +300 {1/2unit}

Actually more the Char game for me if you reread my first comments...I am fine with Memphis . Only two things they can do get blownout or be going for the win on its last possession...

How shocking I try to be patient and not play both Utah and the Over for 3 units each. I try to wait till half. Minny does exactly what I expect after yesterday come out strong...23-17 after 1. Except they manage to lose teh 2nd Q by 19...thanks instead of worst case splitting I will probably lose 3 units.....

Agreed. I just expected a better effort from Martin & Mibby 2nd Half. Artest usually when he starts well finishes well. Kidd and Vince are the two that scare you and they had okay 1st Halves. NJ jumped out early but lets see how it ends up..

Yeah I cannot get a HALF play right for the life of me since Pinnacle booted us. I dont know what it is.....I blew up again tonite with Half plays!! Sick part is again back to my original leans...Under and NJ....which naturally cashed.....

Wow , it amazes me on nites like this I can lose money...

6-4 -2.55 sides&totals
0-3 -7.15 1st Half

-11.75 2nd Half

Its insane to have the right idea everytime and manage to overthink it!

> Hit Indy and the Under
> Like the Under in Cle but split it cause I play it by halves
> Bobcats win 1st H lose game and it goes Under
> Hit Miami and Under
> Say Spurs 1st H is the play and better then the game while I play the 1st half over the 2nd H over hits
> With Denver Okay I get it wrong both ways but said the key was figuring out who covered the spread and that was correct.
> Like Uah but say I will wait and they lead by 17 at half and it goes over...
> Say I like NJ +5 cause RJ absence isnt a big deal and the Under but play the opposite at half and lose both!
> Like GS and the Over. With 118 pts at half its looks solid but doesnt go over which I can live with...

Just crazy...

Back