MLB Offseason...

How critical is having an 'elite' closer to your team's overall success and failure though. I'd say the bullpen as a whole is more important than one guy at the back end (unless it's someone like Fernando Rodney or John Axford).

Chapman in the closer role (or bullpen) is much more critical to his team's overall success than it would be having him pitch every 5 days.

I agree about the bullpen point, I just typed as much a few posts ago. Unless, again, you get THAT guy as your closer.

The bullpen is important. That's why you should pitch your best guys when the game hangs in the balance. Protect the lead, or tie, while it fucking exists. There's no clock.

How critical is having an 'elite' closer to your team's overall success and failure though. I'd say the bullpen as a whole is more important than one guy at the back end (unless it's someone like Fernando Rodney or John Axford).

Not sure if you're joking about Rodney and Axford, but I did chuckle a bit.

Not sure if you're joking about Rodney and Axford, but I did chuckle a bit.
I just meant unless you have someone that poor as your closer, it shouldn't be that hard to slot someone into that role and have a certain amount of success.

Anyone can close. Most overrated job in sports. Throw strikes, odds are in your favor.

I just meant unless you have someone that poor as your closer, it shouldn't be that hard to slot someone into that role and have a certain amount of success.

Right, they're not that good. You said "the bullpen as a whole is more important than one guy at the back end (unless it's Axford or Rodney)." Which I took to mean that your bullpen is more important than one guy, unless you have a really good closer. Maybe you wrote that sentence in Canadian? :p

In unrelated news, Gwen Stefani looks a little on the ridiculous side tonight (a good stylist, much like a good closer, shouldn't be that hard to find...)

So now it sounds like Chapman to LAD isn't happening, fun while it lasted

dodgers could use some power bats and a legit starter. Not sure why they signed Utley for another year. Guy bats .200 and is an easy out.

Dodgers problem last year was too many poor avg hitters. Utley, Rollins, Joc all were under .230 hitters, too many easy outs there.

But they're all big names Gabe. That seems to be worth more to the Dodgers ownership than any other.

Zobrist to the Cubs, 4 years $56 million.

The Cubs have to be the favorite to win the NL next year, and have to be close to the favorite to win it all. They already had the young core and now added a swiss army knife to their lineup, in addition to the pitching they already had. Sure the pitching can always get better, and they didn't sign Price, which was pretty surprising to me (although he got A TON of money they probably didn't feel like spending), but that team is primed to be a force in the NL for the next half dozen years or so.

The Cubs also sent Starlin Castro to the Yanks. Sounds like a decent pickup for the Yankees.

Fuck Dbacks getting Shelby Miller, hope didn't give much up...just not a fan of his and certainly buying high regardless of his record

Greinke, Corbin and Miller...was hoping for a little more splash after the Greinke signing than Shelby

Fuck Dbacks getting Shelby Miller, hope didn't give much up...just not a fan of his and certainly buying high regardless of his record

Greinke, Corbin and Miller...was hoping for a little more splash after the Greinke signing than Shelby

I like Arizona's rotatoin don't forget about Bradley, if and I tink he will, gets back to where he was you have GReinke/Corbin/Shelby/archie

also you guys have projects with rubby and randall and maybe ray.

why are the diamondbacks sending every 1st round or top prospect they have to Atlanta?
who knows, dave stewart in win now mode?

but many mlb execs are saying braves just robbed the sh** out of the d Backs...

he's first overall pick to be moved since A Gon

Braves wanted Pollock badly and just glad he wasn't moved, Dansby was going to be a trade piece (Bradley I still believe is) but just frustrated that Miller is all they could land using that piece.

AZ has been pretty quick on the trigger with the prospect trades in recent years. What was Bauer, the 4th overall a few years ago? Think they got Didi for him in a sexy interracial three-way with the Tribe and Reds, can't recall what they flipped him for.

The bullpen is important. That's why you should pitch your best guys when the game hangs in the balance. Protect the lead, or tie, while it fucking exists. There's no clock.

While I always enjoy banter with you, we don't see eye to eye on everything. That said, this to me is common sense and the one thing I have always been in your corner about.

Looks like the O's pulled their 7 year deal offer off the table and will continue business as usual with or without Davis.

Heyward is nice but for that money its crazy ...But hell it isnt my money so if i was a cubs fan its great ...Cubs and Theo going all out $$$..

Cards will go after Gordon now it seems and i would rather have him.

NL Central is looking like a 2 team race as Pirates await prospects ..

Heyward is nothing special to me, great OF arm but I dont want him batting in a key spot..
i would rather Alex Gordon

Heyward 5th in MLB the past two seasons in combined WAR. Trout, Donaldson, Goldschmidt, and Beltre the only 4 better than him over that time span.

He's a gold glover who steals bases (20+ in 3 of last 4 seasons) efficiently, 86% the past 3 seasons, hits for average and doesn't strike out, with a little bit of pop to go with it. Putting him in that lineup, at that stadium could see him increase his power numbers, and he should certainly score a bunch of runs hitting in the leadoff spot.

The Cubs have to be the favorite to not only win the NL, but win the WS next year. They've made some great acquisitions already, and they're probably not done. Seems they now have some trade pieces (Soler, Baez) if they're looking to add a starting pitcher or a reliever or two.

Heyward is nothing special to me, great OF arm but I dont want him batting in a key spot..
i would rather Alex Gordon

in the playoffs last year, i'd want him taking about every at bat in a big spot. and there's no way you'd rather have gordon than him and i'm saying this as a huge Gordon fan. They were taking him out for defense some last year....think about that.

What are the Yanks going to do?

Trade Miller? No way you can have Chapmin, Miller and Betances. Too much there.

What are the Yanks going to do?

Trade Miller? No way you can have Chapmin, Miller and Betances. Too much there.

They may trade Miller, but those 3 sure sound like a great 7th, 8th, 9th inning combo. KC has used that blueprint for success the past couple of years, making sure the back end of the game is just shut down...give us a lead by the 7th inning and we'll win the game and limit our starters' innings at the same time. No salary cap, and the Yanks haven't really spent as much recently as they have in the past, so I doubt the money is a concern to them at all.

The egos of the pitchers is probably the biggest concern...do they each feel the need to be "the guy," or are they content being part of the potential best back end in baseball and see it as a way to win a championship? Chapman is also a free agent after this season, so they may just try the experiment for a year and see what happens.

I am upset obviously because I wanted the Dodgers to get him. If the Dodgers don't do something solid with this BP it will be another wasted season.

The Yanks might be trying to do a Royals situation, also they could limit their innings this way using one or two guys sparingly periodically. If the Yanks stay this route they will win almost every game with a lead after 6. Maybe a lot of teams will start going this route?

Cashman said the Yankees' intention is to keep Miller, Betances and Chapman for 2016. Cashman is not ready to declare a closer yet. All three have pitched in different roles and whatever inning they throw, they should be a dominant trio. Cashman also has the option of eventually trading Miller, clearing money (Miller is owed $27 million over the next three years) and perhaps adding a starter. For now, though, on the field, the Yankees are much better for 2016 with an overwhelming pen. They do have risk, bringing in Chapman considering his domestic violence situation.

On the field, this trade is a no-brainer, considering the discount bin price. Off the field, it remains to be seen.

It's quite possible they just mix and match the 3 of them as opposed to actually naming a closer. That's not exactly what the Royals have done, but it's certainly a possibility. Having 2 lefties and a righty for the last 3 innings, they can pretty easily match up with any lineup in the league if they aren't defining a 7th, 8th, and 9th inning guy. I'm definitely interested to see how the Yankees play it with the 3 of them this year.

I am upset obviously because I wanted the Dodgers to get him. If the Dodgers don't do something solid with this BP it will be another wasted season.

The Yanks might be trying to do a Royals situation, also they could limit their innings this way using one or two guys sparingly periodically. If the Yanks stay this route they will win almost every game with a lead after 6. Maybe a lot of teams will start going this route?

Sure, I'd imagine a lot of teams would like to go this route. The problem is that there aren't that many great relievers to go around. And, again, the guys that know/feel they should be closing games want to do just that...and will find a team who will use them as a closer and go there.

Yanks are old and questionable starting pitching overall. Nothing to see here.

Yanks are old and questionable starting pitching overall. Nothing to see here.

The questionable starting pitching just became a helluva lot better when you've essentially locked down the last 3 innings.

Not if you get rocked in the first 4 innings. Plus they don't have a plethora of arms in the pen like the Royals did. Comparing apples and oranges with those pens side by side.

Adam Warren a big loss. Big swing man pitcher which every team needs.

Not if you get rocked in the first 4 innings. Plus they don't have a plethora of arms in the pen like the Royals did. Comparing apples and oranges with those pens side by side.

Adam Warren a big loss. Big swing man pitcher which every team needs.

Well they have pitching that shouldn't just get rocked in the first 4 innings. You're acting as if they're throwing out AA pitchers from 1-5.

Warren was a big loss. A loss they just made up by getting Chapman.

Nice to see Warren end up with the Cubs though. Excited for him and their chances this season.

They aren't bad. They aren't winning it all though. Warren is completely different than Chapman bro. Chapman is a bona fide closer. Warren is a swingman. Need both.

They aren't bad. They aren't winning it all though. Warren is completely different than Chapman bro. Chapman is a bona fide closer. Warren is a swingman. Need both.

lol, who said they were winning it all?

Betances may be able to do what Warren did for them now that Chapman is there was my point. I understand Chapman and Warren aren't the same bro. Doesn't mean I think Betances becomes a swing man, because he certainly won't, but it's a nice luxury to have guys who can all close and be able to just plug them into any situation.

Warren also isn't going to continue to simply be a swingman either. He got his chance to show what he can do, proved himself, and now will most likely be asked to do a bit more and pitch in later inning situations much more often. He may end up closing before long.

Well, if you're kind of pumping your team you think they are good and can possibly win it all, right?

I like the Tigers, and they fucking suck.

Well, if you're kind of pumping your team you think they are good and can possibly win it all, right?

I like the Tigers, and they fucking suck.

Not really. Just said I was excited to see how they use the 3 of them.

If you ever say anything good about the Tigers this year, can I assume you've changed your mind and think they're gonna win it all?

:tiphat:

Back