MLB Discussion for the Week of 5/2/2016...

tuck321

Not all those who wander are lost
Pretty stupid. I do not have time putting it mildly
Early thoughts that I may play
Philadelphia and Rangers first half
AJ on turf 11.2 innings 1.54 all at Toronto
Mets
Pirates
Colon may suffer from the catcher problem but it is Monday which was a favorite of his and he does like 5 days
Pirates
First of all there is a very simple Rule
PLAYOFF REVENGE.
Plus a lot of technical edges
Houston Maybe. I really want to see the ump

Don't know about playoff revenge in baseball, maybe, but it does seem Cole is pitching himself into pretty good form lately. Like under there, even though it's no bargain.

Hammels has improved but if you look at those starts in 2 he got huge support. In 1 he had to play vs the Cards and their huge home field edge and Garcia who just does not seem to win and then he lost at Arizona Arizona facing Ray. No player on that Pitt team has forgot last year and they have to win. Fairly simple

Don't know about playoff revenge in baseball, maybe, but it does seem Cole is pitching himself into pretty good form lately. Like under there, even though it's no bargain.

Was going to say something similar about "playoff revenge." Seems to be quite the reach of that's any type of angle for handicapping a game. If they face each other in the playoffs again this year, you could certainly make a case for revenge, but insinuating it would exist in a regular season game seems kinda laughable.

Lol Tuck, why can't you just change the title to create a discussion thread?

Can a mod please change this to "MLB Discussion for the week of May 2nd, 2016" or something to that effect...

TIA

any idea if Foltynewicz is any better that last year.... i see he has 2.05 in 4 AAA starts

Was going to say something similar about "playoff revenge." Seems to be quite the reach of that's any type of angle for handicapping a game. If they face each other in the playoffs again this year, you could certainly make a case for revenge, but insinuating it would exist in a regular season game seems kinda laughable.

At least it's an angle. Did you do any research of your own on the subject or is that just your opinion. If it's just your opinion I find your opinion "laughable."

At least it's an angle. Did you do any research of your own on the subject or is that just your opinion. If it's just your opinion I find your opinion "laughable."

My opinions are laughable an awful lot...all of ours are at some point. Not sure how you'd research that angle, but you're right, it is an angle. Even looking at past results wouldn't tell you much, player turnover would factor into it, and unless we can hear interviews with players saying they really wanted revenge for last season's playoff loss, it would just be guessing and trying to fit something into a perceived angle.

With baseball especially, there are so many other angles/trends/etc to look at, it just seems like a reach to try and use angles that may or may not exist. But to each their own...that still doesn't mean people can't be questioned if/when they bring up angles that, again, may or may not actually exist.

I'd also mention that we should probably ask the person who made the claim of the angle if they've done any research and have any actual stats/proof that such an angle exists. Right?

Don't understand why the rangers are getting so much love

It may be due to the price alone. That's a high tariff to pay with Dickey on the hill, as many guys on here have been talking about how he's been pretty average (if that), and isn't really worthy of being a big favorite anymore.

Pirates look good to me

[TABLE="class: Lhead2, width: 550, align: center"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: Ltitle"] 05/02/16 11:58:29am Pacific [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: Lhead1"] MLB: Game 951-952 (ORN# 951-952) [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: Ldata"] [TABLE="width: 755"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: Ctitle, width: 375, colspan: 5"] Chicago Cubs [/TD]
[TD="class: Ctitle, width: 2"] [/TD]
[TD="class: Ctitle, width: 375, colspan: 5"] Pittsburgh Pirates [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: Lhead1, width: 4%"] Pos. [/TD]
[TD="class: Lhead1, width: 25%"] Player [/TD]
[TD="class: Chead1, width: 7%"] HR [/TD]
[TD="class: Chead1, width: 7%"] RBI [/TD]
[TD="class: Chead1, width: 7%"] AVG [/TD]
[TD="class: Lhead1"]
[/TD]
[TD="class: Lhead1, width: 4%"] Pos. [/TD]
[TD="class: Lhead1, width: 25%"] Player [/TD]
[TD="class: Chead1, width: 7%"] HR [/TD]
[TD="class: Chead1, width: 7%"] RBI [/TD]
[TD="class: Chead1, width: 7%"] AVG [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: Ldata"] CF [/TD]
[TD="class: Ldata"] Dexter Fowler [/TD]
[TD="class: Cdata"] 3 [/TD]
[TD="class: Cdata"] 15 [/TD]
[TD="class: Cdata"] .350 [/TD]
[TD="class: Cdata"]
[/TD]
[TD="class: Ldata"] 1B [/TD]
[TD="class: Ldata"] John Jaso [/TD]
[TD="class: Cdata"] 2 [/TD]
[TD="class: Cdata"] 8 [/TD]
[TD="class: Cdata"] .306 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: Ldata"] 3B [/TD]
[TD="class: Ldata"] Tommy La Stella [/TD]
[TD="class: Cdata"] 1 [/TD]
[TD="class: Cdata"] 4 [/TD]
[TD="class: Cdata"] .357 [/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="class: Ldata"] CF [/TD]
[TD="class: Ldata"] Andrew McCutchen [/TD]
[TD="class: Cdata"] 5 [/TD]
[TD="class: Cdata"] 10 [/TD]
[TD="class: Cdata"] .227 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: Ldata"] LF [/TD]
[TD="class: Ldata"] Kris Bryant [/TD]
[TD="class: Cdata"] 4 [/TD]
[TD="class: Cdata"] 16 [/TD]
[TD="class: Cdata"] .287 [/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="class: Ldata"] 3B [/TD]
[TD="class: Ldata"] David Freese [/TD]
[TD="class: Cdata"] 9 [/TD]
[TD="class: Cdata"] .290 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: Ldata"] 1B [/TD]
[TD="class: Ldata"] Anthony Rizzo [/TD]
[TD="class: Cdata"] 8 [/TD]
[TD="class: Cdata"] 24 [/TD]
[TD="class: Cdata"] .220 [/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="class: Ldata"] LF [/TD]
[TD="class: Ldata"] Starling Marte [/TD]
[TD="class: Cdata"] 13 [/TD]
[TD="class: Cdata"] .327 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: Ldata"] 2B [/TD]
[TD="class: Ldata"] Ben Zobrist [/TD]
[TD="class: Cdata"] .250 [/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="class: Ldata"] C [/TD]
[TD="class: Ldata"] Francisco Cervelli [/TD]
[TD="class: Cdata"] 0 [/TD]
[TD="class: Cdata"] 12 [/TD]
[TD="class: Cdata"] .321 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: Ldata"] SS [/TD]
[TD="class: Ldata"] Addison Russell [/TD]
[TD="class: Cdata"] 14 [/TD]
[TD="class: Cdata"] .216 [/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="class: Ldata"] RF [/TD]
[TD="class: Ldata"] Gregory Polanco [/TD]
[TD="class: Cdata"] .315 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: Ldata"] RF [/TD]
[TD="class: Ldata"] Matt Szczur [/TD]
[TD="class: Cdata"] .357 [/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="class: Ldata"] 2B [/TD]
[TD="class: Ldata"] Josh Harrison [/TD]
[TD="class: Cdata"] .326 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: Ldata"] C [/TD]
[TD="class: Ldata"] David Ross [/TD]
[TD="class: Cdata"] 6 [/TD]
[TD="class: Cdata"] .267 [/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="class: Ldata"] SS [/TD]
[TD="class: Ldata"] Jordy Mercer [/TD]
[TD="class: Cdata"] 13 [/TD]
[TD="class: Cdata"] .303 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: Ldata"] P [/TD]
[TD="class: Ldata, colspan: 4"] Jason Hammel (3-0) 0.75 [/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="class: Ldata"] P [/TD]
[TD="class: Ldata, colspan: 4"] Gerrit Cole (2-2) 2.78 [/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

any idea if Foltynewicz is any better that last year.... i see he has 2.05 in 4 AAA starts

<tbody>
[TD="align: left"]Braves recalled RHP Mike Foltynewicz from Triple-A Gwinnett.
[/TD]

[TD="align: left"]Folty will start against the Mets on Monday and could stick around for a while if things go well. He was sporting a 2.05 ERA in four starts this season, though it has come with a rough 5.7 BB/9 (or 14 walks in 22 innings). His ongoing control issues make him a poor fantasy streaming bet against a good Mets offense. Answer would be a no.
[/TD]

</tbody>

I'd compare Folty's stuff to Andrew Cashner's. Both sit mid-90s and throw a high percentage of fastballs, except Cashner throws more four-seamers. Cashner finds too much of the plate (been walking more hitters last year+ though), whereas Folty can't find it. Used to own Folty for a couple years in a keeper and have always felt his stuff would translate better to the back end of the pen.

Mets have landed. Good start. Really think betting against them at home off a loss is very dangerous

One can get really carried away with that stuff. Lot of coincidence in baseball, I think. I'll probably play the run line against Atlanta until it hurts.

Verlander and Tomlin just faced each other in Detroit 11 days ago.

Both pitched well in that one. Still not baseball weather here, the cold spring won't let go. Might look at under.

Tribe's had Verlander's number in recent years, reversing an earlier pattern against him. He's faced Cleveland more than any other team in his career. Think the day off came at a good time for Cleveland (I hope), tough to swallow all those consecutive one-run losses, gets in the head.

Junior Guerra "called up" by MIL. 31 year old who only pitched in MLB last year.

Brewers recalled RHP Junior Guerra from Triple-A Colorado Springs.
Guerra will start Tuesday against the Angels. Claimed off waivers from the White Sox last October, the 31-year-old had a 4.63 ERA and 23/9 K/BB ratio in 23 1/3 innings over four starts in Triple-A. He made three relief appearances for the White Sox last season, but this will be his first major league start. Fantasy owners have better options to choose from. May 3 - 8:36 AM

Alex Meyer

Converted to a relief role last May after command issues surfaced again, he stayed healthy but his weeklong stay in the majors went poorly. Largely due to his towering frameat 6'9" and 225 pounds, Meyer continues to struggle with repeating his delivery. Along with nagging command issues, Meyer's confidence frequently wanes and his lack of mound presence has become a concern. Even out of the rotation, his four-seam fastball sits at 95-98 mph and has touched 100 mph. He mixes in a low-90s sinker with good arm-side run and a power knuckle-curve at 84-87 mph. After making progress with his changeup in 2014, Meyer seemed to lose feel for the pitch. Whether a starter or reliever, the clock is ticking on his ability to convert all that potential into something useful. Meyer did make a brief appearance with the Twins last year where the results were not good and he also made one appearance in the pen this year that did not go well either (1 IP 5H, 2ER 1BB, 1K). Meyer gets the call tonight (May 3) in Houston but to us, this looks like a “running out of patience” move by the Twinkies. They have spent a fortune on Meyer and teams that invest that much time and money into a prospect do not like to give up on their investment. This could be a last ditch effort by the Twins, as if to say, “Let’s see what we got here”. Meyer has not come close to showing he’s major-league ready yet but always remember that anything can happen in one game. We’ll pass.
In five minor league seasons his ERA is 3.40 with a 1.30 WHIP in 447.0 IP

2015 STATS: Rochester (AAA) – 38g, 8gs, 4-5, 4.79 ERA, 92.0 IP, 4.7 BB/9, 9.8 K’s/9, 4 HR, .281 oppBA

more Alex Meyer

It’s not difficult to see what scouts liked about Meyer. He’s 6-feet, 9-inches tall with a relatively lean 225 pounds on that frame. He throws hard and with that height, ought to be able to get a strong downward-plane on his pitches.
Things have not gone the way the Twins had hoped, however, when they acquired Meyer. He jumped from Rookie-ball to Double-A quickly enough, and by 2014 was in Triple-A Rochester. But the only consistent thing about his performance was its inconsistency.

He’d string together several good starts, tease fans with the prospect of being a bona fide top-of-the-rotation starter, and then lose his mechanics and start walking guys at an alarming rate.
Finally the Twins made the decision to move him to the bullpen in 2015, thinking that perhaps shorter, yet more frequent appearances might help him find his “mechanical groove” as it were.

Meyer to make his big-league debut on June 26th, 2015, against the Brewers.
That game didn’t go so well. Meyer went 1.2 innings, giving up four runs on just three hits (two of which left the ballpark) and a walk. His next appearance on the 29th in Cincinnati went slightly better as he gave up only one run on one hit (not a homer), though he did walk two more batters.
Those performances got him sent back to Triple-A Rochester, where things got decidedly worse. Over the next 21 games, Meyer posted a 4.29 ERA with just over a 2-to-1 strikeout-to-walk ratio.

So when 2016 began, it was a chance to for Meyer to start with a cleanslate. “Start” being the operative word. After finishing out a game in his first appearance of the season, he rejoined the rotation in Rochester for his next two outings.
In those three games, Meyer put together an impressive 1.04 ERA, striking out 19 batters, while walking only four.

he Twins got him an inning of work last Friday against Detroit, and once again, Meyer was shaky coming out of the pen. He gave up a pair of runs on five hits and a walk while also notching a strikeout.
To be fair, he hadn’t pitched for eight days prior to that appearance. That next time out is Tuesday night in Houston against the also-scuffling Astros.
For his part, Meyer says shifting between relief and starting roles isn’t a big change for him.

Eddie Butler started some last year...

Butler looked sharp in 2 2-3 innings of relief duty for the Rockies on Wednesday, allowing one run on two hits with one walk and four strikeouts. His sinker, his bread-and-butter pitcher, was under control. Rather than breaking over the plate where it could get hit, the ball was effectively diving off the plate at the moment.

In parts of three major-league seasons, he's 4-11 with a 5.99 ERA in 19 starts. In 11 career starts on the road, the right-hander is 2-6 with a 5.47 ERA.

ANyone backing Corbin tonight?

Yep. Will take a while to regain my trust in Corbin at home, but then again, who pitches well there with the roof open. Like his prospects a lot better in the friendly confines of Marlins Park, for sure. Played Drury in all my daily leagues against the soft-tossing lefty Nicolino, who has solid command, pitches to contact and is mentally tough on the bump. Segura, Tomas and Castillo have been mashing lefties this season, and of course, Goldy usually feasts on them as well. Saw a + and ran with it.

Agree with what Grind posted

Lean Arz

Corbin has 3 home starts this season 0-3 7.23 ERA but 2 road starts 1.42 ERA
Corbin is on 5 days rest, 23 career starts on 5 days rest 11-5 3.12 ERA
Nicolini 7 career road starts 5-1 2.70 but 6 career home starts 1-3 4.93 ERA
Nicolini is on 5 days rest also, he's 2-3 6.51 ERA in 5 career starts on 5 days rest
4 days rest: 3 starts 1.74 ERA
6 or more days rest: 5 starts 2.45 ERA
Arz 5-0 L5 road games
Mia 2-7 L9 home games
Arz 4-1 L5 games after off day
Mia 1-5 L6 games after off day
Arz 6-1 L7 Corbin road starts

LHP John Lamb starting tonight for CIN

This might tilt me over the total. Reds think highly of this guy, but Giants did see him once last year (and knocked him around a little bit), and I'd imagine he's on a pitch count which should get us into that juicy Reds bullpen.

Yep. Will take a while to regain my trust in Corbin at home, but then again, who pitches well there with the roof open. Like his prospects a lot better in the friendly confines of Marlins Park, for sure. Played Drury in all my daily leagues against the soft-tossing lefty Nicolino, who has solid command, pitches to contact and is mentally tough on the bump. Segura, Tomas and Castillo have been mashing lefties this season, and of course, Goldy usually feasts on them as well. Saw a + and ran with it.

Well, Segura getting the night off.

Wonder why the Giants line went down after the announcement of Lamb. Now at -137.

Guy that got scratched is chopped liver. I'm betting Lamb gets hit and takes an early shower, I have the over, but he's got strikeout stuff, so I guess some bettors find him a few cents more attractive.

Mets will be flying out west after today's game... not good for everyone who picked em in the contest :hang:

The White Sox had to kick John Danks off the roster before giving him one more promised start and, by extension, their friend Joe an opportunity to hit the over.

So selfish.

Back