ML Dogs Week 7 Edition

s--k

Goodbye to Romance College Football
@ProV1Colt hope you are ok buddy. I'll get this fired up, it's Wednesday already!

One very high profile upset ML dog winner last week! Actually, the best team lost last week (giving Alabama the benefit of doubt as they have consistently been the best team, no I know Georgia who some think is the best team did not lose) and the worst team won (UMass)! Maybe UMass isn't actually the worst team after all. And in a battle of two bad teams, although BGSU has proven to be improved, was upset as a 2TD favorite!

I like the looks of this week for upset potential!

My first thought was Wyo and I'm pretty sure I'm ofer the last two seasons on my first thoughts I post here.

Wyoming is capable, just that their O has shown it's ugly head again this year their last two games. Both were on the road. Maybe being back at 7220 will help, but I remember week 1 also. Wish Pokes had a consistent O to go with their D.

Wyoming D will give them the chance to compete. Pretty sure about that. UNLV and Hawaii scored 30 and 27 respectively on Fresno, so there should be opportunity.

This card overall for me is pretty gross. May be my lightest Saturday of the year

I felt that about last week - I still found about 4 dozen plays, but only a couple MLs. I haven't picked any plays yet in ink, but I like the potential here!

I felt that about last week - I still found about 4 dozen plays, but only a couple MLs. I haven't picked any plays yet in ink, but I like the potential here!
Same here, wasn't a friendly card for me but ended up with my best week this season

Go figure

Oh I'm sure I'll end up with some plays. Always do. Just that usually at this point of the week I have a few locked in that I really like. Nada yet

Oh I'm sure I'll end up with some plays. Always do. Just that usually at this point of the week I have a few locked in that I really like. Nada yet
This is about the time of year where betting good teams over their team totals will kick you in the nuts

Thus why I'm looking at UNC's team total

Not a hate comment @carolinablue, just an observation

Some of my possibilities:

North Texas - I feel like I just have to consider them with how bad Marshall has been. Marshall has lost as DD fav home vs ECU, at MTSU and nearly lost home this past week vs ODU. Marshall needed basically a miracle TD to get to OT as 3 TD fav. Their loss to MTSU was filled with turnovers, but then look what MTSU did, they followed up their win vs Herd with a 28 point loss to Liberty. Remember Grant Wells had those horrific final 3 games last year vs Rice/UAB/Buffalo and it seems some of that is happening again. Not that I really like NTex, just that Marshall's continual failures as a favorite just forces me to see what NTex might be able to do.

San Jose St - This is kind of a stubborn look. I watch San Diego State vs New Mexico, I watch them vs Towson (yes I actually did I had plays), vs Utah, etc...well not vs Arizona, but I watch them in these games and I see weakness. The run game is good, it's not great. The D is solid, it's not great. The problem is they keep facing teams unsuited to exploit any of those opportunities. And so it is here again with a slumping San Jose State team. Nick Nash did not play well last week. Nick Nash did beat this Aztec team in relief last year, think he played 3.5 quarters as Starkel went out early. I expect San Jose D to matchup vs San Diego O here. The key is going to be, what kind of O will Spartans be able to generate. And that is a tough calculation, it isn't overly optimistic given San Jose's recent games, or any games this season. But I'm looking.

Cal - I do think Oregon is likely to lose another game this season. Whether or not it is Friday, I do not know. I tend to want to give the Cal O a mulligan for the Wazzou performance. No doubt, it was bad. They have had to stew on that loss, on their season during the bye week. Just as Oregon has had to do off their Stanford loss. I think both teams have a lot to prove and there are questions and weakness with both teams. Cal beat them last year and Cal was a mess last year. Cal is a head scratcher this year. I can't believe they are 1-4, but they are. Oregon is 4-1, but has played exactly one good game this year. Nice for them it was against Ohio St. Outside of that, Oregon feels much more like last year's Duck team than anything we might've believed they were after the win in Columbus.

Bowling Green - Two teams that were or are ascending. Was the improvement in BG real before the Akron loss? I mean it when I say it, Akron was on the verge of being blown out in the 1st Q vs BG last week. That game nearly went sideways real fast, best case BG could've been up 28-0, as it was, they led 13-0 and kept Akron in the game. I tend to think BG is better than that because they have shown life weeks 1-5 prior. Now, NIU's improvement is perhaps more believable...them beating EM and Toledo is not a fluke. BG beating Min is obviously a fluke. But BG's 7 point loss at Kent where they led in the 3rd Q also tells me they can compete. NIU might be rounding the corner and BG isn't to the corner yet, but they can see it down there somewhere. BG might compete here. Going from a 2 TD fav to a nearly 10pt dog tells me that odds makers aren't sure yet where to peg them.

Ohio - Ohio appears to be getting off the mat. They pulled away from Akron 2 weeks ago for their first win and played well vs Central Michigan last week. Teams don't really stay the same, they either get better or get worse and while it has taken a while, I think Ohio might be to the point of getting better. Buffalo did come back from 21 down to actually lead at Kent last week, but have still opened 0-2 in MAC play and nearly lost to ODU. Buffalo has at times competed better than expected, but they are also failed to meet expectations vs FBS with only 1 cover. This is a game where I think Ohio can continue to ascend and Buffalo could continue to slump.

Vanderbilt - Oh man, I don't know, but I think I like it, a little? South Carolina barely beat ECU, did not play well vs Troy despite the cover. We all know Vandy is bad, but they weren't all bad in the 1st H vs UF last week, except for the scoring part, which I'm told is kind of important. Just hard for me to watch SC play and think they are 18.5 pts better than anyone in the SEC, then I remember Vandy is in the SEC. I suppose I probably don't play this ,but for some reason I want to.

South Florida - Now we are getting towards the bottom of the barrel aren't we? Not sure if it is real or not, but USF showed some life the last two games (only trailed SMU by 10 in 4th Q and outscored BYU 21-7 2nd H) and maybe they find themselves off the bye week? Tulsa was not as impressive as their Memphis win implies and while they do get respect and credit for playing Ok St and Ohio St pretty tough, they also lost to UC Davis and got blown out by Houston. I honestly don't know much about USF other than looking at box scores and reading preview magazines, just a hunch - not normally the kind of team one would want to back.

Akron - I swear, I am just going down the rotation, but these last several teams are like the worst teams in football! So Akron lost 38-7 last year vs Miami, pretty sure I ML'd them in that game (oops). Miami is obviously better and actually think Miami is one of the better teams in the league. I did see a lot that I liked out of Akron last week vs BG once Gibson came into the game 2nd H. Gibson was the QB last year and Miami dominated him. Truth told here, Miami likely wins this game I am just assuming that Akron can be more competitive than the oddsmakers think they can. They are the smart ones though.

UCF - So the further I go down the less believable these are becoming! If only UCF had a QB to believe in. Guess it starts and stops there. UCF should have the roster to compete with Cincy which is exactly what they normally do. However, like ships turning at sea, this series is slowly turning. I remember an up-and-coming Cincy team getting waxed by a well oiled UCF team a few years ago. It is more likely that happens here than UCF winning. But still, I can't forget UC's lackluster 1st H vs Temple, or scoring only 7 points vs ND in the 2nd H, or the 1st H vs Murray St 7-7 or how UC nearly lost as heavy fav vs Tulsa last year AAC Title game. The ML odds for this game are crazy high and it's for a reason, so not advisable.

Air Force - AF's stumble vs Utah State was appreciated, they were up by DD in the 4th Q in that one. AF looks to be typical AF team, their domination vs an athletic FAU team was pretty impressive considering FAU hung 58 and 704y up the week after AF held them to 7 and 219y. BYU gifted Boise the game last week pretty much. Boise just doesn't feel the same, which is necessary because Boise has won and usually covered the last 4. AF upset them in 2016. The spread in this series has never been below 7.

TCU - Would like this a bunch of Rattler was QB since we all think that Caleb Williams can make OU O good again. He is still a true freshman, but played well last week. Duggan and Evans will be needed here, not sure of status. But OU has been living on borrowed time. Maybe the window for them to stubble and lose is closed now. Should be a good spot for TCU emotionally catching them off red river. Last year they had a bye after Texas, so I'm not sure what all the angles might be of let down or cover post Texas without knowing if there were byes after some years or not.

Central Michigan - If there is one team in the MAC that continues to be puzzling, it is Toledo. Take out the UMass game, and the last 3 games vs teams on their level (CSU, BallSt, NIU), UT is only averaging 16ppg! I do believe the Rocket D to be a pretty solid unit. Central Mich isn't great but they should be on even terms with Toledo, they possess some piece offensively where I doubt they get shut down (avg 460 ypg). I'm not sure why Toledo is a road fav here unless it is just total bait, in which case I will be guilty.

Purdue - All right now. Yes, I have bet against Iowa this year and lost. I know this. And I am not scared or embarrassed about it. Purdue has beat Iowa 3 of the last 4 and the loss was just by 6 points. Iowa O came out with something to prove vs Maryland it appeared, then Ohio St washed the floor with Maryland so that says Maryland simply isn't very good. You watch Iowa and you just see ways in which they are vulnerable, but it hasn't mattered yet. Hell, even Colorado St pushed them. Kent wasn't all bad vs them. It comes down to mistakes and turnovers and I can't know how Purdue is going to fair in that regard. I do think Purdue possesses a type of O that can challenge Iowa. And what then, if Purdue breaks through the black and gold wall and scores some points, will Iowa be able to put together drives of their own without the help of turnovers and beneficial field position? It's only one player, but Riley Moss being out certainly helps Purdue's chances. Boilers off a bye, Iowa off a field storming win vs top 5 sets up pretty nicely in theory. Come on Brohm!

Kent State - Kent got the O on track last week and I don't expect that to be just a one-off fluke at this point. They lost something in their receiving corp from last year that it took some time to reestablish and I am hopeful that their production on O can be sustained now. Western is good, but not really that good are they? I mean they are MAC good, Kent isn't too far off. The WM OL isn't very good and the WM O isn't very good when QB is under pressure. Buffalo sacked them 3x, Ball St sacked them 4x. And Kent has 7 sacks in 2 MAC games this season. Kent D shouldn't be overmatched here unless WM unleashes some kind of power run game, which they have not done to date vs anybody not named Illinois State.

Kentucky - blasphemy. So how does UK do it? Maybe UK wins one in ten games between them and Georgia. Well, if you are playing ML odds on a 23 pt dog and bet them to win 10 times and they only succeeded once, you would actually make money! But there is maybe a less than 1 in 10 shot. UK on D should matchup. These games between these two have been close. Georgia has only scored a combined 35pts on UK the last two meetings. Problem? Well yeah, it is that UK has only scored a combined 3 pts in those games. Could be the case again, however, this UK O appears better suited to score more although they have at times been disappointing on that side of the ball before the LSU game. Figuring on a low scoring game where UK has a few good drives in the game and if they get a couple plays, could even be a 4th Q game!

Texas State - full disclosure, I ML Texas State a lot and did win one last year, but am 0-2 this year. It's actually more against Troy than pro Texas State. What has Troy done this season to like, at all? Troy is only averaging 19 ppg vs other G5 FBS teams this year on O. What exactly should I be scared off here in playing against them? Texas St atleast has offensive potential. Now they have big turnover potential too. Bye 2 weeks ago, home win last week and home again second straight week vs a team that only beat Georgia Southern by 3 and lost to ULM by 7 and was trailing at HT vs a bad Southern Miss team? Historically this is a bad matchup for Texas State, but historically the 2021 Troy Trojans are not very good compared to their prior editions.

Kansas State - I remembered last night that Iowa State is actually still playing football. I had forgotten all about them. Both teams off a bye and last year ISU blanked them 45-0! Bet K St remembers that one pretty clearly. Prior to that ,these games were tight. K St has their QB back (which they didn't have vs ISU last year). Home night game, should be a good one this year as I'm not writing ISU off, just that their Big Xll games are often close...7 of their 12 Big Xll games this and last year were 1 score games, take out Kansas, because why not, and 7 of 10 Big Xll games over the past two seasons have been one score games. If it is tight late in Manhattan this game could go either way. K St beat them last time here in 2019 and before that in 2017 was a 1 point loss, think that was some failed 2pt play with :00 left where Cats lost.

UNLV - My favorite team from Logan Utah has hit the skids. After starting 3-0 ATS and winning 2 MLs, they have now failed to cover the last 2. Sorry, was fun while it lasted. UNLV, actually has played some decent football the past 2 games. Most of us saw the game they had vs Fresno and our friend VK actually took a shot at them in the ML contest at UTSA, crazy right, they only lost by 7. Utah State has more medals, but UNLV is definitely still trying. It will be hard for them as Utah St's O can stress a D like UNLV's. Then again, if Utah St's O plays like they did the last 2 and makes similar mistakes then this game could be up for grabs.

UTEP - My other favorite team this year (played RSW Ov). UTEP has come a long way. Not so far that they can play with the Boise's of the world though. So question is, what kind of team is LaTech? A very confusing team who has played up vs their tough games (could've/should've beat MissSt, SMU and NC State) ,but then they only beat North Texas by 7 and SE La by 3. UTEP is an old school, kind of plodding offense who can make plays on the outside, but they aren't going to hit many big plays vs the better Ds they play, so they will have to sustain drives. LaTech doesn't really get many sacks or TFLs so hopefully Miners can stay on schedule. The UTEP D is really where the concern comes in, the stats look good, but that is because of opposition faced. Then you see Boise had nearly 7.5ypp against them. LaTech O can be pretty good at times. UTEP believes and is tasting success and they are capable, it's not like they have a New Mexico kind of O or an Akron kind of D. They will believe they can play with LaTech, last year it was just 21-17 and three years ago it was 31-24. 2019 LaTech crushed them so that possibility exists.

So that is what I'm looking at. Now, how to narrow it down to the ones I actually want to risk real money on?

Last edited:

North Texas - I feel like I just have to consider them with how bad Marshall has been. Marshall has lost as DD fav home vs ECU, at MTSU and nearly lost home this past week vs ODU. Marshall needed basically a miracle TD to get to OT as 3 TD fav. Their loss to MTSU was filled with turnovers, but then look what MTSU did, they followed up their win vs Herd with a 28 point loss to Liberty. Remember Grant Wells had those horrific final 3 games last year vs Rice/UAB/Buffalo and it seems some of that is happening again. Not that I really like NTex, just that Marshall's continual failures as a favorite just forces me to see what NTex might be able to do.

San Jose St - This is kind of a stubborn look. I watch San Diego State vs New Mexico, I watch them vs Towson (yes I actually did I had plays), vs Utah, etc...well not vs Arizona, but I watch them in these games and I see weakness. The run game is good, it's not great. The D is solid, it's not great. The problem is they keep facing teams unsuited to exploit any of those opportunities. And so it is here again with a slumping San Jose State team. Nick Nash did not play well last week. Nick Nash did beat this Aztec team in relief last year, think he played 3.5 quarters as Starkel went out early. I expect San Jose D to matchup vs San Diego O here. The key is going to be, what kind of O will Spartans be able to generate. And that is a tough calculation, it isn't overly optimistic given San Jose's recent games, or any games this season. But I'm looking.

Cal - I do think Oregon is likely to lose another game this season. Whether or not it is Friday, I do not know. I tend to want to give the Cal O a mulligan for the Wazzou performance. No doubt, it was bad. They have had to stew on that loss, on their season during the bye week. Just as Oregon has had to do off their Stanford loss. I think both teams have a lot to prove and there are questions and weakness with both teams. Cal beat them last year and Cal was a mess last year. Cal is a head scratcher this year. I can't believe they are 1-4, but they are. Oregon is 4-1, but has played exactly one good game this year. Nice for them it was against Ohio St. Outside of that, Oregon feels much more like last year's Duck team than anything we might've believed they were after the win in Columbus.

Bowling Green - Two teams that were or are ascending. Was the improvement in BG real before the Akron loss? I mean it when I say it, Akron was on the verge of being blown out in the 1st Q vs BG last week. That game nearly went sideways real fast, best case BG could've been up 28-0, as it was, they led 13-0 and kept Akron in the game. I tend to think BG is better than that because they have shown life weeks 1-5 prior. Now, NIU's improvement is perhaps more believable...them beating EM and Toledo is not a fluke. BG beating Min is obviously a fluke. But BG's 7 point loss at Kent where they led in the 3rd Q also tells me they can compete. NIU might be rounding the corner and BG isn't to the corner yet, but they can see it down there somewhere. BG might compete here. Going from a 2 TD fav to a nearly 10pt dog tells me that odds makers aren't sure yet where to peg them.

Ohio - Ohio appears to be getting off the mat. They pulled away from Akron 2 weeks ago for their first win and played well vs Central Michigan last week. Teams don't really stay the same, they either get better or get worse and while it has taken a while, I think Ohio might be to the point of getting better. Buffalo did come back from 21 down to actually lead at Kent last week, but have still opened 0-2 in MAC play and nearly lost to ODU. Buffalo has at times competed better than expected, but they are also failed to meet expectations vs FBS with only 1 cover. This is a game where I think Ohio can continue to ascend and Buffalo could continue to slump.

Vanderbilt - Oh man, I don't know, but I think I like it, a little? South Carolina barely beat ECU, did not play well vs Troy despite the cover. We all know Vandy is bad, but they weren't all bad in the 1st H vs UF last week, except for the scoring part, which I'm told is kind of important. Just hard for me to watch SC play and think they are 18.5 pts better than anyone in the SEC, then I remember Vandy is in the SEC. I suppose I probably don't play this ,but for some reason I want to.

South Florida - Now we are getting towards the bottom of the barrel aren't we? Not sure if it is real or not, but USF showed some life the last two games (only trailed SMU by 10 in 4th Q and outscored BYU 21-7 2nd H) and maybe they find themselves off the bye week? Tulsa was not as impressive as their Memphis win implies and while they do get respect and credit for playing Ok St and Ohio St pretty tough, they also lost to UC Davis and got blown out by Houston. I honestly don't know much about USF other than looking at box scores and reading preview magazines, just a hunch - not normally the kind of team one would want to back.

Akron - I swear, I am just going down the rotation, but these last several teams are like the worst teams in football! So Akron lost 38-7 last year vs Miami, pretty sure I ML'd them in that game (oops). Miami is obviously better and actually think Miami is one of the better teams in the league. I did see a lot that I liked out of Akron last week vs BG once Gibson came into the game 2nd H. Gibson was the QB last year and Miami dominated him. Truth told here, Miami likely wins this game I am just assuming that Akron can be more competitive than the oddsmakers think they can. They are the smart ones though.

UCF - So the further I go down the less believable these are becoming! If only UCF had a QB to believe in. Guess it starts and stops there. UCF should have the roster to compete with Cincy which is exactly what they normally do. However, like ships turning at sea, this series is slowly turning. I remember an up-and-coming Cincy team getting waxed by a well oiled UCF team a few years ago. It is more likely that happens here than UCF winning. But still, I can't forget UC's lackluster 1st H vs Temple, or failing to score any points vs ND in the 2nd H, or the 1st H vs Murray St or how UC nearly lost as heavy fav vs Tulsa last year AAC Title game. The ML odds for this game are crazy high and it's for a reason, so not advisable.

Air Force - AF's stumble vs Utah State was appreciated, they were up by DD in the 4th Q in that one. AF looks to be typical AF team, their domination vs an athletic FAU team was pretty impressive considering FAU hung 58 and 704y up the week after AF held them to 7 and 219y. BYU gifted Boise the game last week pretty much. Boise just doesn't feel the same, which is necessary because Boise has won and usually covered the last 4. AF upset them in 2016. The spread in this series has never been below 7.

TCU - Would like this a bunch of Rattler was QB since we all think that Caleb Williams can make OU O good again. He is still a true freshman, but played well last week. Duggan and Evans will be needed here, not sure of status. But OU has been living on borrowed time. Maybe the window for them to stubble and lose is closed now. Should be a good spot for TCU emotionally catching them off red river. Last year they had a bye after Texas, so I'm not sure what all the angles might be of let down or cover post Texas without knowing if there were byes after some years or not.

Central Michigan - If there is one team in the MAC that continues to be puzzling, it is Toledo. Take out the UMass game, and the last 3 games vs teams on their level (CSU, BallSt, NIU), UT is only averaging 16ppg! I do believe the Rocket D to be a pretty solid unit. Central Mich isn't great but they should be on even terms with Toledo, they possess some piece offensively where I doubt they get shut down (avg 460 ypg). I'm not sure why Toledo is a road fav here unless it is just total bait, in which case I will be guilty.

Purdue - All right now. Yes, I have bet against Iowa this year and lost. I know this. And I am not scared or embarrassed about it. Purdue has beat Iowa 3 of the last 4 and the loss was just by 6 points. Iowa O came out with something to prove vs Maryland it appeared, then Ohio St washed the floor with Maryland so that says Maryland simply isn't very good. You watch Iowa and you just see ways in which they are vulnerable, but it hasn't mattered yet. Hell, even Colorado St pushed them. Kent wasn't all bad vs them. It comes down to mistakes and turnovers and I can't know how Purdue is going to fair in that regard. I do think Purdue possesses a type of O that can challenge Iowa. And what then, if Purdue breaks through the black and gold wall and scores some points, will Iowa be able to put together drives of their own without the help of turnovers and beneficial field position? It's only one player, but Riley Moss being out certainly helps Purdue's chances. Boilers off a bye, Iowa off a field storming win vs top 5 sets up pretty nicely in theory. Come on Brohm!

Kent State - Kent got the O on track last week and I don't expect that to be just a one-off fluke at this point. They lost something in their receiving corp from last year that it took some time to reestablish and I am hopeful that their production on O can be sustained now. Western is good, but not really that good are they? I mean they are MAC good, Kent isn't too far off. The WM OL isn't very good and the WM O isn't very good when QB is under pressure. Buffalo sacked them 3x, Ball St sacked them 4x. And Kent has 7 sacks in 2 MAC games this season. Kent D shouldn't be overmatched here unless WM unleashes some kind of power run game, which they have not done to date vs anybody not named Illinois State.

Kentucky - blasphemy. So how does UK do it? Maybe UK wins one in ten games between them and Georgia. Well, if you are playing ML odds on a 23 pt dog and bet them to win 10 times and they only succeeded once, you would actually make money! But there is maybe a less than 1 in 10 shot. UK on D should matchup. These games between these two have been close. Georgia has only scored a combined 35pts on UK the last two meetings. Problem? Well yeah, it is that UK has only scored a combined 3 pts in those games. Could be the case again, however, this UK O appears better suited to score more although they have at times been disappointing on that side of the ball before the LSU game. Figuring on a low scoring game where UK has a few good drives in the game and if they get a couple plays, could even be a 4th Q game!

Texas State - full disclosure, I ML Texas State a lot and did win one last year, but am 0-2 this year. It's actually more against Troy than pro Texas State. What has Troy done this season to like, at all? Troy is only averaging 19 ppg vs other G5 FBS teams this year on O. What exactly should I be scared off here in playing against them? Texas St atleast has offensive potential. Now they have big turnover potential too. Bye 2 weeks ago, home win last week and home again second straight week vs a team that only beat Georgia Southern by 3 and lost to ULM by 7 and was trailing at HT vs a bad Southern Miss team? Historically this is a bad matchup for Texas State, but historically the 2021 Troy Trojans are not very good compared to their prior editions.

Kansas State - I remembered last night that Iowa State is actually still playing football. I had forgotten all about them. Both teams off a bye and last year ISU blanked them 45-0! Bet K St remembers that one pretty clearly. Prior to that ,these games were tight. K St has their QB back (which they didn't have vs ISU last year). Home night game, should be a good one this year as I'm not writing ISU off, just that their Big Xll games are often close...7 of their 12 Big Xll games this and last year were 1 score games, take out Kansas, because why not, and 7 of 10 Big Xll games over the past two seasons have been one score games. If it is tight late in Manhattan this game could go either way. K St beat them last time here in 2019 and before that in 2017 was a 1 point loss, think that was some failed 2pt play with :00 left where Cats lost.

UNLV - My favorite team from Logan Utah has hit the skids. After starting 3-0 ATS and winning 2 MLs, they have now failed to cover the last 2. Sorry, was fun while it lasted. UNLV, actually has played some decent football the past 2 games. Most of us saw the game they had vs Fresno and our friend VK actually took a shot at them in the ML contest at UTSA, crazy right, they only lost by 7. Utah State has more medals, but UNLV is definitely still trying. It will be hard for them as Utah St's O can stress a D like UNLV's. Then again, if Utah St's O plays like they did the last 2 and makes similar mistakes then this game could be up for grabs.

UTEP - My other favorite team this year (played RSW Ov). UTEP has come a long way. Not so far that they can play with the Boise's of the world though. So question is, what kind of team is LaTech? A very confusing team who has played up vs their tough games (could've/should've beat MissSt, SMU and NC State) ,but then they only beat North Texas by 7 and SE La by 3. UTEP is an old school, kind of plodding offense who can make plays on the outside, but they aren't going to hit many big plays vs the better Ds they play, so they will have to sustain drives. LaTech doesn't really get many sacks or TFLs so hopefully Miners can stay on schedule. The UTEP D is really where the concern comes in, the stats look good, but that is because of opposition faced. Then you see Boise had nearly 7.5ypp against them. LaTech O can be pretty good at times. UTEP believes and is tasting success and they are capable, it's not like they have a New Mexico kind of O or an Akron kind of D. They will believe they can play with LaTech, last year it was just 21-17 and three years ago it was 31-24. 2019 LaTech crushed them so that possibility exists.

So that is what I'm looking at. Now, how to narrow it down to the ones I actually want to risk real money on?
I like Kent again this week. Not sure I’m ready to hop on the Bobcats ML train yet w Armani starting.

LOL at the scoring part......but my opinion is to look at USCjr's schedule the rest of the season if you have not already done so because this Vandy home game is their only likely win for the rest of 2021. I think they know that and I think they get it.

LOL at the scoring part......but my opinion is to look at USCjr's schedule the rest of the season if you have not already done so because this Vandy home game is their only likely win for the rest of 2021. I think they know that and I think they get it.

Do player really look at the schedule and think "this is our only chance to win" or do they actually relish in playing the best teams as a chance to prove themsevles?

If you are saying they will really care about this game as compared to others, does that make them better this week or are they still not good like normally?

I left off Arizona because I think CU should be able to stop them defensively and if nothing else run to a win on O. But yes, CU is a bad favorite and vulnerable.

I also left of Duke as I think there are more positive qualities about UVA, however, if Duke can run and succeed in running better than they did vs UNC to actually sustain and score off of it then absolutely Duke can win. Whether or not they have that success is the million dollar question.

ODU vs WKU? Tell me a story on it

UK on D should matchup.
I was going to bet Kentucky this week, and you are correct they should match up on D, but with their two best D linemen out out I don't see it the same way. Maybe Kentucky has the depth to replace them, but I doubt I risk any money on that.

Hit 2/9 last week, but could have easily been 6/9 with texas (embarassing), arkansas (loved the decision to go for 2 but hated the play call/execution), penn st (was dominating before clifford went out), and cuse (losing in OT).

Looks for me this week…

Cuse again—worth a sprinkle for friday night kick. Still think clemson’s numbers are too high. Although they will likely kick somebody’s ass sooner than later.

USF—not sure tulsa should be laying this number on the road…that is all

Mizzou—letdown spot of all letdown spots here. Noon snoozer kick. A&M 0-2 ats on the road not covering by 14.5 pts in each. Mizzou off a pseudo bye last week against the mean green.

E Mich—like the way this team is playing right now. Solid D and questionable O. But they’re gonna give solid effort. Nice come from behind win last week. And almost came back at UNI 2 wks ago

Akron—this is probably the week they get skull drug, but can’t jump ship now. Back to back roadies is a concern, but i like irons and who tf is miami (oh) to be laying 20?!

Purdue—again big time letdown spot for iowa, after the field-rushing come from behind (smoke & mirrors) win. Still think iowa is severely flawed on offense, and have been uber fortunate on the turnover front. They deserve credit for forcing some, but some of it is just outright luck. I like Brohm, they’re coming off a bye, and they have the type of offense that can move the ball a bit against almost anybody. What does Iowa do if they get down 10-14 pts and the opponent doesnt lose their starting qb? Can they keep up? I’m not so sure…

Kent St—got things rolling a little bit last week with 31 1H pts, and racking up over 400 yds passing and 600+ yds total. W Mich is giving up 9.2 yds/pass attempt on defense against michigan, illinois st (29 pass yds),pitt, sj st (59 pass yds), buffalo, & ball st. Not exactly a murderer’s row of passing O’s there, and they have gotten torched— especially lately. Not sure if the breakdown on pass D is injury or scheme or effort related, but i think kent gets it done here.

Wyoming—this one feels kinda dirty, with fresno coming in off an ugly loss and a bye week. Typically a week when i would look to back this type of team in this spot. But line seems spidey-sense low to me. Might pass here, but wyoming worth a look at least.

TCU—ugly dog of the week. In yet another monster letdown spot. Can’t imagine oklahoma being ready for this game—might play frogs 1H ML instead. Obv depends if rattler starts or what. Guessing riley starts rattler and gives him a short leash. If you start williams, and he struggles early, very hard to go back to rattler in that instance. Rattler most likely either won’t be ready to go or won’t give AF. Tough game, but i def think tcu is live. They can score, if nothing else, and actually rates better than oklahome in yds/pt def.

Tennessee—playing well with hooker and have alot of confidence. Ole miss coming into knox-vegas off a crazy, wild, back and forth, mentally draining game that ended on a failed 2 pt conv attempt. Another one where the line stinks to high hell, with rebs “only” laying 2.5. I may be wrong, but pretty sure short road faves are historically terrible bets, especially in cfb.

Army—another ugly dog here. Taking 14 in a game with a sub-40 total is a no-brainer long term. And i think army can hang. I know wisconsin has played a top-5 schedule in difficulty, but they haven’t shown particularly well in any game against teams with a pulse. Army has played nothing except cupcakes, but their scheme is one that is very hard to prepare for (especially in a one off game in the middle of their conf schedule). I could see this being an ugly slug-it-out game of field position. One or two plays could be the difference, in which case +450 looks pretty enticing to me.

Air Force—last one here. Just think boise is overrated, and won last week solely bc byu couldn’t hang on to the ball. Air force can play, obv will run it and run it and run it some more. This also is boise’s weakness. 111 rush yds by byu last week (mostly bc they all but abandoned the run down 2 tds in the 2H) actually brought boise run D numbers down to 180+ rush yds/game allowed (almost 5 ypa). I think air force runs it down their throats and makes them like it on the blue turf.

Like @s—k, will likely have to whittle these down some. Really like mizzou, e mich, kent st, vols, and air force fwiw.

I left off Arizona because I think CU should be able to stop them defensively and if nothing else run to a win on O. But yes, CU is a bad favorite and vulnerable.

I also left of Duke as I think there are more positive qualities about UVA, however, if Duke can run and succeed in running better than they did vs UNC to actually sustain and score off of it then absolutely Duke can win. Whether or not they have that success is the million dollar question.

ODU vs WKU? Tell me a story on it
Well ODU has gotten blown out by the two most competent offenses/teams they have played (and most comparable to wku offense imo). WKU can and will score in bunches. ODU has been outgained in every d-1 game, save a home loss to buffalo. ODU D appears to be improving, at least, but not sure they are ready for wku to sling it all over the yard on them. I think the total is a little light again at 67. wku power rating must be pretty close to buffalo as the line is the same (but the total is 17 pts higher). imo wku floor is like 40 pts here. Odu wants to, and probably will establish the run. wku can’t stop the run for shit, so i think odu gets home more times than not. Something like 42-34 wku

Every MAC dog is in play this week in my opinion, including my Zips :cool:
Have played BGSU and Ohio small so far...Will add Kent as well but think that ML will increase a bit so will hold on that one for a day or two...Figure I make profit if 1 of those 3 hit, so why not give it a shot.

FOOTBALL - 123 Bowling Green +275
Money Line
Pending

FOOTBALL - 135 Ohio +295
Money Line
Pending

Is Akron playing Gibson at QB? I cant find any update. He looked very good vs BG, and that whole team came to life behind him....

Is Akron playing Gibson at QB? I cant find any update. He looked very good vs BG, and that whole team came to life behind him....
Haven’t seen an update either, but surely to god he starts. He and irons are head & shoulders above nelson, based on what i have seen

I am also planning to put $25 each down on North Texas, SJSU, UTEP and Kent, but looks like I might get a little more value on those by waiting another day, so no rush for me. Figure if I play these 6 total, I need to hit at least 2 for profit and none of these winning outright would shock me considering more than a couple are at home.

Not sure if Nelson and Irons are healthy enough for Akron? Arth didn't say much in the press conference, so yeah, nobody knows. If just going off of health, I would have to think that Gibson is the healthiest. He started 6 games last year and led them to their first road win for this current head coach in 2.5 years. So my guess is that Gibson is going to start. I would be good with Irons too. Hard to see Gibson duplicating the amazing performance again this week, there are games he has played where we might want somebody else. It's Akron, so, yeah. As long as it is not Nelson - either Irons or Gibson should hopefully give us what we want.

As much as the QB question, I would like to see Arslanian back at LB. Some kind of hand injury, he's missed the last two games vs OU and BG.

My confidence level on Akron this week compared to last week is considerably lower. Last week I risked $50, I would probably risk $10 on them this week to get the 7.5:1 return. It's weird though, Miami has been decent for a few years and Akron is a cellar dweller, but the games in Oxford have been close (20-17 & 24-14) while the games in Akron have been blowouts (31-3 & 41-17). We probably need a WTF game out of Miami because Akron's best might not be good enough if Miami also brings their best.

BG I think might be the better option of the two, even though Akron beat them last week. BG has a QB who has played well this year, McDonald is the MAC's 2nd ypg passer (234.3), he's only 9th rating though. NIU relies on the run more, so he doesn't throw as much, but when he does throw, Lombardi is 12th out of 13th in passer rating. McDonald is off his worst game of the year however that goes beyond just the raw statistics of the game. And BG actually has some defensive qualiities to like. They can play behind the LOS with sacks and TFLs. BG D has 16 sacks on the ssn, tied for 2nd most among MAC teams (4 vs Akron, 4 vs Minn, 3 vs Tenn). That also translates into some good TFL numbers, 42, ranking 4th. Comparatively, NIU doesn't do those things well (just 10 sacks and 26 TFLs in 6 games). What NIU has done well is win, 2-0 in MAC with wins vs EMich and Toledo. So they believe in themselves. Bowling Green is likely pissed they played as poorly as they did last week for all the improvement they have shown. That should equal good effort out of them and they will need their best.

Here is my final $25 per play ML Dog card...Need to hit 2 out of 6 for profit

Friday 10/15
North Texas +335
SJSU +280

Saturday 10/16
Ohio +295
BGSU +275
Kent +210
UTEP +210

Best of luck this weekend guys!

Not sure if Nelson and Irons are healthy enough for Akron? Arth didn't say much in the press conference, so yeah, nobody knows. If just going off of health, I would have to think that Gibson is the healthiest. He started 6 games last year and led them to their first road win for this current head coach in 2.5 years. So my guess is that Gibson is going to start. I would be good with Irons too. Hard to see Gibson duplicating the amazing performance again this week, there are games he has played where we might want somebody else. It's Akron, so, yeah. As long as it is not Nelson - either Irons or Gibson should hopefully give us what we want.

As much as the QB question, I would like to see Arslanian back at LB. Some kind of hand injury, he's missed the last two games vs OU and BG.

My confidence level on Akron this week compared to last week is considerably lower. Last week I risked $50, I would probably risk $10 on them this week to get the 7.5:1 return. It's weird though, Miami has been decent for a few years and Akron is a cellar dweller, but the games in Oxford have been close (20-17 & 24-14) while the games in Akron have been blowouts (31-3 & 41-17). We probably need a WTF game out of Miami because Akron's best might not be good enough if Miami also brings their best.

BG I think might be the better option of the two, even though Akron beat them last week. BG has a QB who has played well this year, McDonald is the MAC's 2nd ypg passer (234.3), he's only 9th rating though. NIU relies on the run more, so he doesn't throw as much, but when he does throw, Lombardi is 12th out of 13th in passer rating. McDonald is off his worst game of the year however that goes beyond just the raw statistics of the game. And BG actually has some defensive qualiities to like. They can play behind the LOS with sacks and TFLs. BG D has 16 sacks on the ssn, tied for 2nd most among MAC teams (4 vs Akron, 4 vs Minn, 3 vs Tenn). That also translates into some good TFL numbers, 42, ranking 4th. Comparatively, NIU doesn't do those things well (just 10 sacks and 26 TFLs in 6 games). What NIU has done well is win, 2-0 in MAC with wins vs EMich and Toledo. So they believe in themselves. Bowling Green is likely pissed they played as poorly as they did last week for all the improvement they have shown. That should equal good effort out of them and they will need their best.
According to my data this week, BG might be the best dog on the board for Saturday.....FWIW my opinion is worth...;)

Just gonna post my thoughts on my Cats chances vs. those dastardly Dawgs...I'm not going to go into detail about it too much as there is plenty of opine about the game already available. It's pretty obvious my Cats need to win the TO battle by at least a couple and then Jawja play their "B" or "C" game.....but how likely is it Jawja does either??

Well one thing I keep thinking about (and not sure it's all that relevant but it might be) is the fact this game is sandwiched between the two arch-rivals for the Dawgs. Auburn is their long-time rival and then they have the Gators up next of course....I can't help thinking how much of an "unexpectedly" important game this has become for Georgia. Ky pretty much has nothing to lose and everything to gain whereas the Dawgs might not have thought about this game too much just a few weeks ago let alone going into the season. Now, all of a sudden, Ky comes into Athens every bit as important of a game as anything on their schedule....lose it and the Dawgs pretty much have hosed their path to the SEC Championship. I'm just wondering what the psychy is for their team and it may be hard for me to explain this to properly convey what I'm feeling and thinking but how much does this sandwich type of game is really going to affect the outcome?? I mean going into this season, if you're a Georgia player, fan, or coach, did you really say something like "I can't wait until that October 16th home game vs. the Cats!! We're really going to ready and waitin' for 'em!!" or did you really point to this game as being pivotal? Now, all of a sudden, a game they possibly considered already in the win column has garnered much more importance and meaning.....how are the Dawgs reacting to this situation going into this game?? I do think there is more than a little chance we not see Georgia at their best tomorrow.

:popcorn:

I like Kent again this week. Not sure I’m ready to hop on the Bobcats ML train yet w Armani starting.
Is Kent St +7 a solid play then if you like the ML some? Thoughts on the total? Any other MAC (or other conference) games on your radar? Leaning Akron +20

Played this one. 3, 4, & 5-teamer RRs:
Risking $16 ($1 per parlay) to Win $4,501.45

parlay6.jpg

BOLTA!

:watchingsports:

Played this one. 3, 4, & 5-teamer RRs:
Risking $16 ($1 per parlay) to Win $4,501.45

View attachment 59269

BOLTA!

:watchingsports:
Hey, if you get a minute, can you explain to me how exactly these work? I am playing 6 dogs for small change this week, but not sure if it makes sense to also do them in one of these round robins as well. The more you can dumb it down for me the better by the way haha. Thanks man!

Hey, if you get a minute, can you explain to me how exactly these work? I am playing 6 dogs for small change this week, but not sure if it makes sense to also do them in one of these round robins as well. The more you can dumb it down for me the better by the way haha. Thanks man!
Ok whelp the big idea is simply low risk vs. big reward....ultimately that's the goal for playing these. I picked 5 teams each above +200 ML odds. The reason I choose +200 as the cutoff is because if only one parlay (a 3-teamer) wins then you essentially make your initial stake back plus some small change depending which of the 3 teams hit. If 4 out of the 5 teams hit, then you win one 4-teamer plus all the 3 t-teamers that make up that 4 team combination and you are into some nice return on your investment at that point. If all 5 teams hit then you would win every single parlay and it's time to celebrate. As far as submitting them, my book has an option for parlays where you can add the 3, 4, & 5-teamer combinations....yours prolly does too.

3 team example…..round robin with 2’s & 3 team parlays….teams A, B, C…..four parlays total

Parlay A/B
Parlay A/C
Parlay B/C
Parlay A/B/C

As if parlays can be safe, but it’s a way to limit loss or the dreaded hit 2/3 parlay and lose it all. If you hit 2/3 at -110, that 2 teamsr pays 2.6:1. So in this example, you would risk 4 units. Hit 1/3 you lose 4x. Hit 2/3 you lose 0.4x. Hit 3/3 you win 13.8x (2.6+2.6+2.6+6.0).

3 team example…..round robin with 2’s & 3 team parlays….teams A, B, C…..four parlays total

Parlay A/B
Parlay A/C
Parlay B/C
Parlay A/B/C

As if parlays can be safe, but it’s a way to limit loss or the dreaded hit 2/3 parlay and lose it all. If you hit 2/3 at -110, that 2 teamsr pays 2.6:1. So in this example, you would risk 4 units. Hit 1/3 you lose 4x. Hit 2/3 you lose 0.4x. Hit 3/3 you win 13.8x (2.6+2.6+2.6+6.0).
Appreciate both you guys taking the time to break it down for me as I will be the first to admit there are a lot of things I just don’t know, so always up for learning something new!

Should I just do all my 6 in a 2’s/3’s RR which BOL says would be 35 bets or should I just do 2’s which would be 15 bets?

Should I just do all my 6 in a 2’s/3’s RR which BOL says would be 35 bets or should I just do 2’s which would be 15 bets?
There’s not much more to be made by going 2s thru 6s vice 3s thru 6s that’s why whenever I have done a 6-teamer I usually go 3, 4, 5, & 6-teamer RRs. The stake you risk by adding 2s doesn’t justify the reward IMHO. Compare them and you’ll see what I mean.

Reactions: KJ
There’s not much more to be made by going 2s thru 6s vice 3s thru 6s that’s why whenever I have done a 6-teamer I usually go 3, 4, 5, & 6-teamer RRs. The stake you risk by adding 2s doesn’t justify the reward IMHO. Compare them and you’ll see what I mean.
So this one…

By 3s to 6s (42 Bets)

Same if it's 5...3,4,5 but that's usually when I've played faves on the ML to compete. 2's might be worth it on dogs

So this one…

By 3s to 6s (42 Bets)
Was thinking 2’s through 4’s or 5’s initially, as I know all 6 won’t hit, so was at least gonna leave out the 6’s option unless I am missing something.

Figured 2’s through 4’s or 5’s would cover all realistic scenarios but may be thinking about it wrong.

Was thinking 2’s through 4’s or 5’s initially, as I know all 6 won’t hit, so was at least gonna leave out the 6’s option unless I am missing something.

Figured 2’s through 4’s or 5’s would cover all realistic scenarios but may be thinking about it wrong.
I'd probably do 2-4, If you hit 2/3 of ML dogs that's a helluva day and if a 5th hits, you'd still collect on the 2-4 on that 5th one

Hell you could probably do it for $2-$3 and have fun with it, still get a good payout and not cost an arm and a leg

I'd probably do 2-4, If you hit 2/3 of ML dogs that's a helluva day and if a 5th hits, you'd still collect on the 2-4 on that 5th one

Hell you could probably do it for $2-$3 and have fun with it, still get a good payout and not cost an arm and a leg
Appreciate it man…was looking to just toss 50 total into whichever one I do. Sitting here working through numbers now, probably overthinking it for 50 bucks but my brain works that way whether it is a $50 play or a $500 one.

Appreciate both you guys taking the time to break it down for me as I will be the first to admit there are a lot of things I just don’t know, so always up for learning something new!
Buddy turned me onto them about 20 years ago. My example used -110 odds, but i prefer to use +140-ish plus so that 2/3 wins you a little change.

Buddy turned me onto them about 20 years ago. My example used -110 odds, but i prefer to use +140-ish plus so that 2/3 wins you a little change.
All of mine will be dog plays as I am already running them small at 25 each but figured why not throw another 50 at something different since we ended up making some play money at harrah’s last weekend (KJ you were 100% on that prediction!)

Appreciate it man…was looking to just toss 50 total into whichever one I do. Sitting here working through numbers now, probably overthinking it for 50 bucks but my brain works that way whether it is a $50 play or a $500 one.
I always do the parlay with all my teams. It pays so crazy, hard to leave that one out for me. If I do 3 or 4 teams, i usually do 2 teamers thru 3-4 teamers. If i do 5 or 6, i cut down the number of parlays (and thus $$$ risked) by starting at 3. If i like alot of dogs in the +110-130ish range, i will do more teams total and start at 3 teamers. Hope that makes sense…

Given all mine are +200 to +300, that was my initial rationale for thinking 2’s through 4’s but I can be convinced of otherwise

Back