Military Bowl thoughts

bluspecva

Pretty much a regular
I follow UVA athletics closely and wanted to post some insight on the game. This Virginia football team is lucky to be in the position to be playing in any bowl. Their biggest win of the season was beating a stunned Boise State team on the road. They got way to full of themselves and reality smacked them right in the face when they had to play their ACC side of the schedule. They showed flashes of what could be, but just like every single season they always will let you down. Their last game this season against Virginia Tech was a gut wrenching defeat. The defense played really well, but the offense was lucky to even make it past the 50 yard line. At the end of the game there was so much frustrstion on the sideline because this happens every single year. Around campus its like its expected for the football team to blow it. We have now lost 14 straight years against Virginia Tech and have not even made it to a bowl game since new years eve 2011 where we were blown out by Auburn. I hate to sound so negative, but it's just the way football is for Virginia. With that being said, I can see this game going either one of two ways. The hoos are in the game late and blow it due to a stupid mistake or turnover, or Virginia continues to drink it up and this game isn't even competitive. Navy is having a down year, so maybe there is just enough in the tank but I would not recommend anyone touching this game. If there is any play I could make a wager with gun to my head would be maybe the under. Enough of my rant enjoy the game.

It helps Virginia faces GT, Virginia still figures to have a hard time stopping it. I can envision Navy going for it on 4th down a ton in this game. Losing a post season bowl game, at home, isn't going to happen easy for kids that generally care as much as anyone about competing. But Navy D isn't very good at all. If Benkert can get a rhythm, Virginia should have alot of success through the air I figure.

Team seems on the edge of being decent again. Coach has a decent record against the option.

I am a UTEP fan ... it is what it is .. and I am not saying you should settle for what I have to settle for with UTEP ... but making a bowl is like making a championship game for me with UTEP. I think UVA got better but so did the ACC the last couple of years.

I think Mendenhall was a great hire and I dp like the direction of the team. We have been bad for so long and when Mendenhall took over we were the laughing stock of the ACC. I like how Mendenhall brings the west coast to Virginia and we have stopped competing with Vatech in the scouting wars over the tidewater region. It's nice to recruit in other areas instead of competing with Vatech and the Sec by going after players from Florida.
Didn't mean to sound like I was being negative with my write-up, but until we have shown some consistency, it's hard for me to get overly excited with this Virginia team. Good luck today guys

I can only echo the pessimism surrounding UVA football. In all honesty, when I went to UVA (class of '13) I didn't bother going to football games. I only went to soccer and basketball. After the Pitt game I lost all faith in UVA's ability to tackle a ballcarrier. I don't trust the discipline in this defense or its ability to stop big plays. I think we had a streak starting with UNC of allowing one huge touchdown run per game? Nor do I trust the consistency of the offense (see eggs against Pitt, BC and VT).

at +3 now. I latched onto UVA ML -113 yesterday, hate losing 3 points of value like this but oh well.

Agreed. Virginia does not play well from behind either. Hate to be so cynical, but this one looks like it's over

I like VA from behind. Just relying on Benkert and no run game. But Benkert is playing atrociously atm

The middle of the field is wide open but benkert cannot make the plays. Navy has been playing a easy zone defense with the safeties deep all game long.

Benkert is on his way for his worst game of the season, this against Navy of all teams! 8-20-69-0-1. Navy's D should be ripe for the taking, but UVA failing to exploit. I know their O has been up and down, but this is hard to foresee. Just another example of teams not living up to expectations in the bowls. Atleast Navy exceeding their part of the bargain for the over.

This thread help me today. Thx. I knew nothing and had not followed Va. at all.
Glad you were able to take something away from this. I've been following this team for over 30 years and this team has been nothing but a disappointment for many years. We have not even been relevant since Al Grohl was the head coach

Back