Marsski Week 1: The Return of the MACtion

Next up: Liberty @ Kent, no spread

Not gonna say much since its not lined but I will be watching to see how Fisher does. I think the QB play could be better this year but we will see...

I was reading about Akron football the other day and their WRs. They did lose their #1 guy from last year, but to your point the guys that are back aren't much to write about, litterally. What they did write about was true freshman WRs Fransohn Bickley and Mykel Traylor-Bennett who have been impressive in fall camp. Bickley is an amazing 5'6" 138 lb kid. Bowden compares him to Dri Archer. Akron also has both Col St transfers CJ James and Nordly Capi.

Zips seem like a team that could be in position to better compete starting in mid October once they gell a bit and the schedule softens up and assuming they stay healthy.

Chisholm has worked really hard in the offseason, training on his own a good bit. Bowden had said they needed more out of the RB position after last season (implying somebody else could be doing it), but they are pleased with how he has responded and looked in camp. That and it took him a while to adapt to reading the zone blocking schemes last year. It sounds like he could be a stronger brighter spot for the offense this year.

Funny story, my wife met Bobby Bowden this year. She told him she was from Ohio and he asked her 'what about Akron, you go to Akron games', she replied 'I'll go if you'll be there' and he said 'oh, I'll be there'. I think he actually is around a good bit.

On Kent - Liberty, I read that Liberty HC Turner Gill did not agree to send any Liberty game film. Not that it means much, but typically that is good sportsmanship thing to do.

Marski, what do you expect from BGSU tomorrow night? I was a Tulsa hater last year and they made me pay, often. Don't want to start out doubting them again, but I just have a hard time seeing them as this year-in and year-out quasi dominant team. I think defensively Tulsa has a chance to regress alot this season, but BGSU offense has been in hibernation. I'm leaning towards BG and looking around for something to give it credibility.

Next up: Illinois St @ Ball St, not lined...
Not much to talk about here although the major question mark for the Cardinals will be OL. Sooooo it'll be worth monitoring how they do upfront particularly in the first half.

I was reading about Akron football the other day and their WRs. They did lose their #1 guy from last year, but to your point the guys that are back aren't much to write about, litterally. What they did write about was true freshman WRs Fransohn Bickley and Mykel Traylor-Bennett who have been impressive in fall camp. Bickley is an amazing 5'6" 138 lb kid. Bowden compares him to Dri Archer. Akron also has both Col St transfers CJ James and Nordly Capi.

Zips seem like a team that could be in position to better compete starting in mid October once they gell a bit and the schedule softens up and assuming they stay healthy.

Chisholm has worked really hard in the offseason, training on his own a good bit. Bowden had said they needed more out of the RB position after last season (implying somebody else could be doing it), but they are pleased with how he has responded and looked in camp. That and it took him a while to adapt to reading the zone blocking schemes last year. It sounds like he could be a stronger brighter spot for the offense this year.

Funny story, my wife met Bobby Bowden this year. She told him she was from Ohio and he asked her 'what about Akron, you go to Akron games', she replied 'I'll go if you'll be there' and he said 'oh, I'll be there'. I think he actually is around a good bit.

On Kent - Liberty, I read that Liberty HC Turner Gill did not agree to send any Liberty game film. Not that it means much, but typically that is good sportsmanship thing to do.

Marski, what do you expect from BGSU tomorrow night? I was a Tulsa hater last year and they made me pay, often. Don't want to start out doubting them again, but I just have a hard time seeing them as this year-in and year-out quasi dominant team. I think defensively Tulsa has a chance to regress alot this season, but BGSU offense has been in hibernation. I'm leaning towards BG and looking around for something to give it credibility.

Good stuff on the zips, sounds like Fat Boy was making a move on your old lady...getting into BG now...tricky one for sure...back soon with thoughts

Forgot that UCF finished last year by whipping Ball State in the bowl game. I know it's a new season and bowl dynamics are different but I rate Ball State (last year) as way way above Akron this year.

Game of opening night: Tulsa @BG, spread is BG -4

Let me just say for starters that BG was very impressive last year when they opened vs Fla. They could have legitimately won that game and the defense is back except for 2 stars from that squad.

BGs defense is by far the strength of this team as last year at times it seemed like they were happy to just sit on the ball, punt and play defense knowing that teams couldn't move the ball or would self destruct if they got enough chances.

The only real place to attack them was hypothetical through the air especially after Boo Boo Gates got hurt. But with everyone back this year, the weakness in the secondary is gone.

For all of BGs talent on defense, I find their QB Schilz to be very underwhelming even though he is gonna be a fourth year starter this fall. He's never hit more than 60 percent completions and seems to throw late over the middle and make risky decisions with the ball too often.
BGs stud RB Anthon Samuel transferred down to FIU and is a huge mega loss for BG in my opinion.

Another QB I'm not that high on is starting for Tulsa in this game in Cody Green the Nebraska transfer. He does have a ton of weapons around him with talented WRs and a pair of very good backs. The BG defense vs Tulsa offense figures to be the key matchup in this game.

I want to say that BG will win this game at home behind a senior QB and a shutdown defense....but I'm not convinced that BG can play the low scoring grinder style in this one that was their calling card last year. I think Tulsa will have some success moving the ball and getting on the scoreboard. I think we go to the wire in this one and I prefer the 4 points I think.

With the total set at 50, I think there is a strong Tulsa/over and BG/under correlation.
Not sure if I wanna get involved in this one or not....gonna think about it some more...very tricky

Leaning hard on Carolinas under tomorrow... Old Ball Coach will grind and slow play this one. 30 pts LY in Scary opener and I think this one stays under as well... Two new kickers in this game so I wouldn't be surprised if we see some misses...

Any thoughts on Toledo? Seeing +24 pop up at a couple books.. seems like a lot of points on a pretty good squad.

Good stuff on the zips, sounds like Fat Boy was making a move on your old lady...getting into BG now...tricky one for sure...back soon with thoughts

LOL, well it was the old man. Not sure if that makes it better or worse.

I'm like you that I have never liked Cody Green at Tulsa. Their running game is what kills you and their defense last season. If the number could drop back to 3 I might still take BG. When I saw Tulsa -1 this summer I was all over BG and it is hard for me to shake it now.

Note on BG's secondary, I think their starters are ok, but they have suffered some unexpected losses to their depth. Not that Tulsa can or will exploit that, but it should be something to keep an eye on.

LOL, well it was the old man. Not sure if that makes it better or worse.

I'm like you that I have never liked Cody Green at Tulsa. Their running game is what kills you and their defense last season. If the number could drop back to 3 I might still take BG. When I saw Tulsa -1 this summer I was all over BG and it is hard for me to shake it now.

Note on BG's secondary, I think their starters are ok, but they have suffered some unexpected losses to their depth. Not that Tulsa can or will exploit that, but it should be something to keep an eye on.

Now, dadgumit, there's a nice lookin' woman...LOL Bobby...this is a tough game to call, two average to bad Qbs....

Played 3 so far:

usc/unc under 56.5 for 1 u

vandy/olmiss under 52 for 1u

Tulsa +3.5 for 1 unit -115

trting to find out more about ill state as my local has hung -12.5 on ball st game.

Cody Green must be the worst Tulsa QB in 20 years, if not ever.

Shilz started the game and went 1-4, but I turned away and Johnson was in and Shilz never returned. Will have to see why. Johnson wasn't good either. Somehow BGSU got nearly 400 yards of offense I never would have known watching the game.

I watched with a friend who took the over, it was brutal for him.

Cody Green must be the worst Tulsa QB in 20 years, if not ever.

Shilz started the game and went 1-4, but I turned away and Johnson was in and Shilz never returned. Will have to see why. Johnson wasn't good either. Somehow BGSU got nearly 400 yards of offense I never would have known watching the game.

I watched with a friend who took the over, it was brutal for him.

Schilz got benched as far as what I could see. He didn't get hurt.
I wasn't expecting that, I thought his suckiness would pervade fro four quarters of action. Cody Green was shittier than I ever could have imagined.
I came away not very impressed with BG despite the score. That freshman Qb is a decent runner, but not much of a passer and he loved throwing off his back foot, and goofy sidearm stuff. I think some decent MAC offenses will find success particularly in the passing game.
Not saying BG's defense is bad, but they aren't some lockdown unit like you might think after watching Tulsa bumble around

I will have to give them credit for their run D. But agree on their pass D. With Green at QB last night the DBs didn't have to do too much, although there was a nice pbu in the EZ by one of the Falcon DBs.

Let me find some stuff on the secondary depth because this could be key vs Indiana.

Somebody already picked up the BG D off the waiver wire in a fantasy league I am in and if BG has a similar performance vs Kent next week then we might get a little value on Indiana as BG reaches overrated territory perhaps. I'd like IU to find one QB, but their offense looked great albeit vs Ind St.

Back to BG 2ndary, Cam Truss and Gates are studs, but they lost McKoy (8 career starts) to either inj or transfer and also lost reserve Johnny Joseph. I have Darrell Hunter circled in my PS book meaning he is injured or was injured in camp. He started 12 games last year. If he is out for IU that will matter.

Friday game breakdown: W Michigan @ Michigan State -27.5

That seems like a pretty high spread for Michigan State considering that they only score 27 or more twice last year--31 on Indiana and 41 on Central Michigan. They only had 23 on E Michigan for godssakes.
Part of that is a style thing, they want to power run and control the time of possession and grind away at you. It's not a style where you score big points usually.
And now this year Dantonio brings in Jim Bollman who has to be one of the worst offensive cordinators in major college football (as any Buckeye fan will tell you)...I expect same ol power football, vanilla Michigan State even though Bell has graduated.

Western Michigan is transitioning from the Bill Cubit era who I felt was a very very good MAC coach. Their Dutch Qb surprised me last year when he took over for an injured Carder and kept the team rolling...but the team has an all new staff and is not that strong on the OL and DL which is a huge problem against Sparty. They look to be a middle of the pack MAC team, and its hard for em to see them really putting up a bunch of points in this game considering the way I expect they will get dominated at the LOS. If they do have success, it will be the Dutch kid throwing the ball all over the lot.

However, as I noted above, I don't expect Michigan State to score that much, and the spread is 27.5....I guess I lean to Western covering but only because of Michigan State's ho hum offensive attack.
Dantonio will want to stay real basic, and real vanilla and not try to give much away for South Fla who they got next week. I think it will be tough for Michigan State to break 30 and I guess I think Western will score at least once or twice...I think something like 27-6 with Michigan State controlling throughout is very likely...

Lean to Western; no play for now....

Pretty good stuff here....Q&A with Buffalo Bulls blogger from OSU blog:

[h=1]Q&A with a Buffalo Bulls Blogger[/h]August 30, 2013 by Shannon 3 Comments
So I decided to try and do something a little different for you readers and thought lets see what the opponents bloggers think about the upcoming game. I know we will have previews of the players, break down their plays and all that fun stuff we like to read about. I am hoping this will continue into a weekly series with each opponent the Buckeyes face this year.
I reached out to the University of Buffalo fans to see who I could get in touch with to possibly do this and a great gentleman from ubbullrun.com by the name of BrandedBull emailed me and we went from there. I would like to thank BrandedBull for taking time out and answering some questions that I came up with. Being this is the first time doing this I couldn’t think of all the questions I wanted to ask so hopefully I will get better with each one.
MotSag: How exciting is it to watch one of the best linebackers in the nation, Khalil Mack, each week?
ubbullrun: It has been an absolute pleasure to see a player of Mack’s Caliber thrive in Buffalo. For a player to have zero Division 1 offers to grow brings great pride to a fan base who has not had much to cheer for the past three years. Buffalo is starting to place players in the NFL, with Josh Thomas in Carolina, Trevor Scott and Steve Means in Tampa Bay, Naaman Roosevelt in Cleveland, and James Starks in Green Bay. It will be fun to see how Khalil Mack performs on Sundays. The last big player we had with high draft aspirations was James Starks who won a Super Bowl with Green Bay missed his entire senior campaign in Buffalo (and missed many games in Green Bay!) I just hope Khalil stays healthy and has a monster season.
MotSaG: Jeff Quinn is starting his 4th season as the Bulls head coach. Are the players buying into his philosophy and system?
ubbullrun: I sure hope so. I think that Quinn is finally building a philosophy and system that fits the players on the team and who he can recruit. When Quinn came to Buffalo he wanted to install a quick up tempo offense just like the one in Cincinnati. He had the offensive lineman slim way down and it was a disaster. This will be the fourth straight year that UB will be trotting out a new QB. That is not a good stat. This is the year that Quinn has to win. Losing Mack, the only real receiver threat in Nuetz, one of the best backs to ever play at UB in Bo Oliver, and a DB who has a shot at the next level Johnson.
MotSaG: Many are looking at Buffalo to make a run at the MAC Championship this year and they have the second ranked defense from a year ago is this Quinn’s last hope of turning the program around?
ubbullrun: In Buffalo it has been a struggle and many fans still have guarded optimism. We all believe that the talent to win a MAC is in Buffalo but we have not seen this team under this coaching staff win. If this team does not have a successful season this year, oh boy, I do not want to even think about the next couple of year. Very spoiled by the success under Turner Gill.
MotSag: Joe Licta your starting QB is a sophomore and it is probably his biggest start to date do you think he can handle the pressure?
ubbullrun: No and I do not think that anyone would expect him to be all-world against Ohio State. Joe has only four starts. Total. All I would like to see is to make smart plays and take what the D is giving you. I would like Licata to take a shot once in a while. The jury is still out on Licata. He won three straight games against teams we can all admit where not world beaters but really struggled the last game of the season. Cash the check and hope everyone comes out healthy.
MotSaG: I’ve seen on your message boards much dislike for Ohio State from a lot of fans why is that. Why do fans dislike the Buckeyes so much in your opinion?
ubbullrun: That is a great question. Buffalo gets beat up in the media about being a rust belt snow forgotten city, so fans become very passionate in defense. I have not been to your boards and I sure hope that no Trolls came on talking smack. The majority of our fans understand we are a MAC team and have struggled but would love a good run. MAC football is actually really good and I love going to the games. A couple of OSU fans came on our board guns blazing and that was throwing gas on the fire. We get who you are. We understand your history and that Urban Meyer is on ESPN every 13 minutes. But you come talking smack, do you really expect us to just take it. Of course we will take the cheap shots about players arrested and soft scheduling. It is all we got.
MotSaG: Some fans feel this is the year that the Bulls beat a Big Ten team for the second time in their history, do you believe it could happen?
ubbullrun: We should have beaten UCONN twice before as well as Pitt. We have the talent, but do we have the coaching staff to instill the right game plan and put the right players in a position to excel. Do not be shocked if you see UB throw a beat down to UCONN. Don’t be surprised if UB can take Baylor to the wire. I will also not be shocked if UB does not lay an egg in both games. There is so much talent on this roster that you hope the playmakers make big differences.
MotSaG: What are your concerns for this game?
ubbullrun: The check does not clear! Seriously, Injuries are the biggest concern I have. Also, mentally if OSU really keeps it foot on the pedal and this becomes extremely lopsided. Traveling to Baylor the next week feeling like you already lost could spell disaster.
MotSaG: What are you expecting out of your RB Brandon Oliver Saturday?
ubbullrun: He will get yards. He is a top flight Division 1 running back. Gained 100 years last year against Georgia at their stadium. He is small but a punishing runner. If Licata can have some success throwing the ball, then OSU cannot stack the box to stop him. Even with stacking the box, Bo will get yards. He is not a burner who will get the corner first and explode up the field but rather finding holes and driving through. He will make your LB’s sore the Saturday. He is a very special runner who does not get the credit he deserves. He is fun to watch. He is a runner who OSU fans would have loved to see in your uniform.
MotSag: Do you feel that the speed of Ohio States defensive line will be an issue for your offensive line?
ubbullrun: Of course. But the one thing that UB has improved is both the O and D lines. Next year I would be extremely concerned but your unit while loaded with talent but is young. Some breakdowns are going to happen. And that is the exact reason you’re playing UB and not Michigan in week one.
MotSaG: Do you feel the Bulls have the ability to keep Braxton contained in the pocket and limit his rushing yards?
ubbullrun: Our linebacking core is solid and have a strong nose tackle who will push the center back. We will have some success but Braxton is a machine. He will make plays. Like Berman used to shout, you can only hope to contain him.
MotSaG: The Bulls defense gave up 485 yards to Georgia on its opener last season do you feel they will do better against an Ohio State team that is loaded with offense weapons?
ubbullrun: You are making these questions pretty easy to answer. I expect the outcome to be the same. OSU will make big plays and get yards.
MotSaG: What are you looking forward to the most?
ubbullrun: Seeing the team play at such an iconic stadium and seeing how the team stacks up to a top five rated team. I am under no grand illusion that we can pull a Toledo against Michigan or Appalachian State. (See what I did there, I joined you bringing up bad memories for Michigan!)
MotSaG: What is your prediction for the game?
ubbullrun: 41-17 OSU
I would again like to thank BrandedBull from ubbullrun.com he is a class act and enjoyed working with him. If you get a chance and I hope you do before the game check out their site they have a lot of great stuff up pertaining to the game tomorrow.

If you want to get involved and have questions about upcoming opponents feel free to send them in to me and I can send them on. Email your questions to AskMotSaG@gmail.com or MotSaG@gmail.com. Would love to know your thoughts on this post and hope you enjoyed it.

This conference confounds me, but I enjoy betting it cuz it's local and I recognize the names. Not going to move on it this season without Marsski Maction or a nod of approval from Jump.

Any thoughts on Toledo? Seeing +24 pop up at a couple books.. seems like a lot of points on a pretty good squad.

Saturday game Toledo @ Florida -24

Toledo is a well-rounded team, they do everything OK and usually play pretty well in the out of conference games (jobbed @ Cuse two years ago; lost by 5 in the Shoe, OT in Arizona LY)...They have a lefty Qb Terrance Owens with an absolute rifle arm and hes very athletic with good scrambling ability. His weakness is a lack of touch on balls, and a propensity to try for the home run when a dump off is wide open.
Reedy was a 1000 yard pass catcher last year and Fluellen is in the first tier of MAC RBs if a little undersized. They have one of the MACs best OL.

Now, going into the Swamp is no treat--and Toledo will have to contend with maybe the best secondary in the NCAA. Reedy will be getting plenty of attention.
However, Florida has only four starters back on defense and I guess I question how good that front 7 is going to be especially early in the year. They lost their top playmakers at RB and WR and lets not forget they really struggled with BG in week one last year (BG had 8 more first downs). Kind of feels like a little bit of a down year for the Gators in my mind...although if Driskel made a big leap forward it would be huge for this team. I think by the end fo the year they will have a much better offense but not thinking they have it together in week 1....

I guess what I'm saying is that I like Toledo to hang around and give Florida some problems with their run/pass balance...I'd say take the 24 points, I haven't played it yet myself but I'm thinking about it.

Marss, serious question, you think the MAC is fishier than most, gambling-wise? Couple point-shaving scandals under its belt, smart kids not going pro playing regularly lined games ... I think it is, FWIW. 99.99% of the time I dismiss this to losing gamblers bellyaching, but in this particular conference, not so sure.

Saturday game: U Mass @ Wisky -44.5

This is the highest spread on the board which ought to tell you everything you need to know about how bad UMass really is...even though they beat Akron last year, I would have to say they are probably worse.
They lost games by 37, 29, 50, 38, 42 and 63 last year...And they only have four starters back on offense and their halfway decent RB from LY is gone.
They are going to get destroyed by Wisky's ground game. Either lay 44.5 or just avoid...No fucking way would I bet this game.

Marss, serious question, you think the MAC is fishier than most, gambling-wise? Couple point-shaving scandals under its belt, smart kids not going pro playing regularly lined games ... I think it is, FWIW. 99.99% of the time I dismiss this to losing gamblers bellyaching, but in this particular conference, not so sure.

The conference home of Scooter McDougle? Nahhhhhh......

I think it s a little shadier especially when the MACtion starts up the mid-week games...no one else playing, only gamblers care...seems like a ripe environment for, uh, exactly what happened @ Toledo.

Just bought a new house fellas, so I'm taking tonight off from gambling to move a bunch of shit in so I can go tailgate tomorrow for the HUGE Buffalo/OSU game...I like SMU and Western a little bit tonight.

I will try to get in here late tonight or tomorrow to talk a little bit about the rest of the games but my favorite plays tomorrow in MAC games would be Buffalo and Marshall, which were both discussed a bit at various points in here.

TeeDub has a bunch of good stuff in his thread on Iowa/NIU...I think its a tough call as to whether they can beat the Hawkeyes in Kinnck especially after they lost to a MAC team LY....not the usual MAC team catching someone sleeping...

Only thing I've played for Saturday so far is Marshall -19. Don't see how they score less than 50...

Play: Marshall -19 for 1 unit

Last edited:
Reading my Phil Steele, Miamis D Line is so small...the biggest guy is 275 and a bunch of 250,240,210 guys. Marshall doesn't even have an especially big OL (295-300) and they are gonna have 30-50 pounds a guy.
That should mean plenty of time for Cato to throw and some nice running lanes. You factor in a nighttime start in west by god Virginia and I think we see an ass whooping. The key to covering will be Marshall's defense being better than LY...bunch of transfers and new blood so definitely a question mark...

My local had moved Buffalo to 35 already and I'm gonna be tailgating tomorrow AM so l jumped it tonight instead of seeing if I could 36. You gotta love those Columbus bookies messing with the OSU spread...

Bunch of reasons for this that I have touched upon...Hyde and Bradley out, Buffalo will get some yards and points with Oliver...Bulls defense pretty decent by MAC standards, OSU line backing issues should persist early in year. Feels like too many to me. I think we see something like 41-17...

Play: Buffalo +35 for 1 unit

Only MAC games On Saturday I haven't talked about yet are EMU/Howard and Michigan/CMU, spread is 31.5

Even the parents of EMU players dont care about that opener so no reason to talk about that one...

Michigan is a tough team for me to get a read on. The play calling was horrid in the Buckeye game last yr and then the collapse to SCary. New year new year I know...but can't shake the feeling they are getting out coached when the pressure is on. I like Hoke from his MAC days just saying...So I don't know what to think about them, but Devin Gardner should be pretty good and the defensive overhaul from Dick Rod has been impressive even if a little Paper Tigerish..

Into the Big House comes CMU a mid pack MAC team with one of the best RBs in the MAC Zurlon Tipton. They knocked off Iowa in Kinnick LY so they can play a little. Kind of feels similar to me to MSU/Western which look like it will wrap 26-7...in that Michigan will dominate but probably stay vanilla and CM will mount a few drives...I lean taking the points, not sure if it makes my small card tomorrow...I'm just a little gunshy early in the year...

-17, already got em

more a fade of howard, which i've done in any sport when i get a line on them

-17, already got em

more a fade of howard, which i've done in any sport when i get a line on them

I really don't know shit about those D3 teams, so it's hard for me to pontificate...but EMU did have a decent back emerge late last yr in Hill. QB Benz is serviceable and they actually competed well with the lower tier MAC teams...beat western, almost beat Central. I think they are on the upswing a bit but don't know how much it'll show considering they drew BG and the mighty Bobcats from the east.
Good luck on your bet, let me know how you thought they looked

don't confuse me for someone who will watch that game, i'll be lucky to catch anything tomorrow

just fading howard, that's all mars. hope it hits

Adding from this pile:

Byu-- Va goes 4-8, fires a bunch of coaches, had their QB leave and is gonna beat BYUs bunch of 25 year olds? With a bunch of freshman and sophomores? Byu defense was tough as nails LY but Van Noy is gonna have to lead a bunch of new starters
LSU---Patterson running his mouth should have Les ready...

Toledo--Talented bunch always plays tough out of conference on the road

Adding from this pile:

Byu-- Va goes 4-8, fires a bunch of coaches, had their QB leave and is gonna beat BYUs bunch of 25 year olds? With a bunch of freshman and sophomores? Byu defense was tough as nails LY but Van Noy is gonna have to lead a bunch of new starters
LSU---Patterson running his mouth should have Les ready...

Toledo--Talented bunch always plays tough out of conference on the road

:shake: Was able to grab Buff +36.5, have 2 of the above and will add BYU. Good luck, thanks for all the info.

CJ Barnett twisted an ankle and isn't going to play.....that means 10 of top 12 tacklers from 12 not in this game....9 new starters..gonna be interesting

Have a great one today, Marshall Marsski ... and an excellent 2013 campaign! Can't wait for the Tuesday night Game of the Week to start up again!!

Back