Lions vs. Jets Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Lions vs. Jets NFL Week 15 Picks & Prediction: Jets to Win Low-Scoring Battle

Detroit Lions vs. New York Jets
Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 1 p.m. ET at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey

Best Bet: Under 44 at -110 with BetOnline

Detroit's Improved Defense

Any analysis of Detroit's defense is totally worthless if it relies on season-long statistics to even the partial exclusion of more recent averages.

While the Lions, overall, rank 31st in scoring defense, this fact reflects their earlier-season struggles in which their defense lacked the same quality of coaching and personnel that it now possesses.

In their last three games, the Lions are allowing an average of 21.7 points per game.

If this were a season-long statistic, then they would rank 13thin scoring defense.

While 13thmight not seem that impressive, consider that Detroit's last three opponents rank top-10 in scoring offense while the third ranks above-average in the category.

Improved Coaching

The specific component of the Lion defense's improved coaching worth highlighting is its defensive backs coach.

Since the Lions fired Aubrey Pleasant after the team's loss to Miami, the Lions improved monumentally in pass defense.

Before last week, they held quarterbacks to the following statistic output: 57.4% completion rate, 1,223 passing yards, seven touchdowns, seven interceptions, and a 74.9 passer rating.

It's not like the Lions were simply facing bad quarterbacks, either.

Their victims included upstart Jaguar Trevor Lawrence and the high-caliber Bill Josh Allen.

While the Lions allowed a lot of passing yards last week, Viking Kirk Cousins was playing with a significant deficit, and superstar wide receiver Justin Jefferson amassed 223 receiving yards alone.

The Jets will suffer for not having any receiver like Jefferson.

Jeff Okudah

Detroit also possesses young talent in its defense that has been getting better.

One player worth highlighting is cornerback Jeff Okudah.

Since his hiccup against Green Bay, he has yet to allow 30 yards in a game to the primary object of his coverage.

Most recently, he held Viking Adam Thielen to 29 yards, Jaguar Zay Jones to 13 yards, and Giant Darius Slayton to 17 yards.

Other Key Figures

Significantly, other key Lion defenders are healthier.

Former first-round, second pick Aidan Hutchinson had been battling injury-related issues earlier in the year.

The rising defensive end has seven sacks now, including 1.5 in his past two games combined.

Jerry Jacobs is an example of Detroit's improved health on defense.

He is healthy now and has returned to his starting role at cornerback.

Jacobs is allowing a 54.1 percent completion rate and a 73.7 passer rating when targeted.

Mike White

In view of Detroit's massively improved pass defense, does Jet quarterback Mike White stand a chance.

White is struggling to be productive: he almost has as many interceptions as touchdowns and is yielding an awful 85.8 passer rating.

He is only playing -- even while banged-up with injured ribs -- because Zach Wilson was struggling so mightily at the position.

His replacement is hardly an optimal answer: White's completion percentage when pressured in 20, and he is completing less than half of his deep balls.

With Lion pass-rushers healthy, White will face significant pressure and, when he doesn't, he'll struggle to navigate Detroit's improved secondary.

Importance of Detroit's Pass Attack

Detroit's rush attack is not reliable.

The team's top running backs, Jamaal Williams and D'Andre Swift regularly struggle to be efficient.

Swift's YPC average looks attractive because of his earlier-season success which featured some very long rushing gains.

But, perhaps impeded by various injury struggles, he has failed to exceed 21 yards rushing in six of his last seven games.

Jets' Pass Defense

The biggest question is whether we get the good Jared Goff or the bad Jared Goff.

Detroit's quarterback has wild swings in performance from week to week.

His outlook this week is negative because the Jets rank second at limiting the opponent's passer rating.

He faced the one team, Philadelphia, that ranks better than the Jets do in this category, and barely managed an 80 passer rating.

The Verdict

Both teams will struggle to score, but the Jets will win.

Except against a Giant team that forgot how to win games, the Lions are proving to be a very different team on road.

They are still learning how to win, and their success this season has come disproportionately at home.

This is evident when they face the same caliber of opponent on the road and at home, or when they face the same opponent at home and on the road.

One cannot trust them to beat a winning team on the road.

Best Bet: Jets PK at -108 with Heritage

Man I can't read my articles after I write them, sometimes it feels so obvious that I write these half-wake at 4 a.m. haha

You know, I packed the laptop away for the night but I'll get a few in now ...some is repetitive from discussion thread...

Lions have won road games in the last month at Chicago and also at this venue.

Both games were played in chilly air (30s).

I prefer to judge Detroit defensive stats post Aubrey firing. They simply are a different defense.

Detroit run defense is excellent. Their achilles heel is a QB that can run (Fields and Josh got to them).

The pass defense is still an issue. Now, is it as bad as the first half of year? No. It's still below average though.

The defense plays nasty tho, with an edge. Aiden is a big part of this. He's having a helluva rookie year. People were calling him a bust after 3-4 games.

The Jets defense is excellent. No doubt about it.

Mike White is a gamer. This guy is tough as nails. I'm curious about his preparation this week. At least as of Wednesday, he hasn't practiced I believe.

Wilson will be a guy the Lions need to key on.

The Lions and Ben Johnson have a creative offense. They'll need to dig into the play book vs this tough defense and find a way to open things up.

Cliche, but this game comes down to turnovers.

True toss up here. The Jets need this game badly, and I think they'll play with a sense of urgency.

If Detroit can keep this close into mid third or so they have a great shot.

Fun game, only a live bet for me.

You know, I packed the laptop away for the night but I'll get a few in now ...some is repetitive from discussion thread...

Lions have won road games in the last month at Chicago and also at this venue.

Both games were played in chilly air (30s).

I prefer to judge Detroit defensive stats post Aubrey firing. They simply are a different defense.

Detroit run defense is excellent. Their achilles heel is a QB that can run (Fields and Josh got to them).

The pass defense is still an issue. Now, is it as bad as the first half of year? No. It's still below average though.

The defense plays nasty tho, with an edge. Aiden is a big part of this. He's having a helluva rookie year. People were calling him a bust after 3-4 games.

The Jets defense is excellent. No doubt about it.

Mike White is a gamer. This guy is tough as nails. I'm curious about his preparation this week. At least as of Wednesday, he hasn't practiced I believe.

Wilson will be a guy the Lions need to key on.

The Lions and Ben Johnson have a creative offense. They'll need to dig into the play book vs this tough defense and find a way to open things up.

Cliche, but this game comes down to turnovers.

True toss up here. The Jets need this game badly, and I think they'll play with a sense of urgency.

If Detroit can keep this close into mid third or so they have a great shot.

Fun game, only a live bet for me.

I heard on radio several players on lions d sick this week. I’d think enough days left they be ok but hopefully doesn’t spread.,

Jets season is over.

Short week also...

Jets getting the worst QB in the league to start the next 2 games.

FML

Yea, it a no brainer lions or nothing now. This kid is total garbage, been saying it since before they were dumb enough to draft him.

So the Jets are now starting a QB that has been inactive for the last 3 weeks and whose stats were the league's worst though half the season.

Recipe for disaster.

I just hate it for Garrett Wilson, more importantly for me who wanted to bet over his number and now gotta take him out bunch of dfs lineups I already made, lol.

So the Jets are now starting a QB that has been inactive for the last 3 weeks and whose stats were the league's worst though half the season.

Recipe for disaster.
Its not like the Jets went 5-2 with Zach starting. They will beat the Lions regardless of who plays QB and truth be told no one on this roster will be starting opening day next season.

No chance whatsoever. The Jets will be real contenders in 2023 with Rodgers. Fans like @scarf31 getting all upset about an injury to a Ryan Tannehill level QB is ridiculous.
Yeah with Miami getting better and the jets on the verge and Pats with greatest coach of all time, buffalo better make good this year

Yeah with Miami getting better and the jets on the verge and Pats with greatest coach of all time, buffalo better make good this year
Greatest coach or not the Patriots are not contending with this roster. As long as the Bills have Josh Allen and the rest of the division has question marks at best at QB the division is theirs though if the Jets trade for Rodgers as I expect they will things will get interesting.

Greatest coach or not the Patriots are not contending with this roster. As long as the Bills have Josh Allen and the rest of the division has question marks at best at QB the division is theirs though if the Jets trade for Rodgers as I expect they will things will get interesting.
What I mean is that the division becomes tough and that is six games. Teams out of those tough divisions have a hard time getting HFA

You should offer a disclaimer that you‘ve always had a totally unfounded bias against Tua @2daBank
Tua is a lefty version of Chad Pennington which means he is accurate but lacks arm strength which is not a good combination playing in Buffalo. For the record I liked Pennington but always knew his ceilng was limited.

Be patient because the payoff will come when Aaron Rodgers is the Jets QB in 2023. Its not like this team was a threat to the Bills or Chiefs.
Aaron Rodgers is not coming to this team. Douglas isn’t going to trade for a QB who is 39 and will bring a $32M cap hit plus more for the next 2 seasons. The core is too good to have to cut guys to make up for an old QB. We did that once with the Dongslinger. Straight pass brother.

Its not like the Jets went 5-2 with Zach starting. They will beat the Lions regardless of who plays QB and truth be told no one on this roster will be starting opening day next season.
Totally disagree. Jets went 5-2 based on their defense being top notch and the running game being great before Breece got hurt and the O Line crumbled due to mass injuries.

You cannot have a starting QB who you are afraid to let him throw the ball. Zach’s number in those wins show he’s averaging roughly 120-150 yards per game. They win in spite of him, not because of him. He SINGLE HANDEDLY lost both Patriots games. He is a flaming pile of dog crap who cannot go through progressions or stand in the pocket. And he misses the most basic throws. Definition of a bust.

Mike White is the starting QB for the Jets in 2023. He’s going to take WAY less on the cap hit than Carr or Rodgers or any other vet QB. Give White a healthy O line and Garrett, Breece on offense and that defense and the Jets can contend for the division next year with that squad.

Tua is a lefty version of Chad Pennington which means he is accurate but lacks arm strength which is not a good combination playing in Buffalo. For the record I liked Pennington but always knew his ceilng was limited.
Mike White’s comparison is 100% Chad Pennington except with a stronger arm.

And Chad was the best quarterback this team has had in the last 30 years outside of 1 Vinny Testaverde magical season in 1998.

Aaron Rodgers is not coming to this team. Douglas isn’t going to trade for a QB who is 39 and will bring a $32M cap hit plus more for the next 2 seasons. The core is too good to have to cut guys to make up for an old QB. We did that once with the Dongslinger. Straight pass brother.
With Sauce and Garrett on rookie contracts this is the perfect time to get Rodgers. If you want to beat Josh Allen and Pat Mahomes in the playoffs you better have an upper echelon QB and Rodgers is still that guy.

Tua is a lefty version of Phil Rivers. Their throwing motion looks like some of it is coming from their shoulder and it isn’t a full release. Look at old Phil Rivers tape and it’s wild.

Totally disagree. Jets went 5-2 based on their defense being top notch and the running game being great before Breece got hurt and the O Line crumbled due to mass injuries.

You cannot have a starting QB who you are afraid to let him throw the ball. Zach’s number in those wins show he’s averaging roughly 120-150 yards per game. They win in spite of him, not because of him. He SINGLE HANDEDLY lost both Patriots games. He is a flaming pile of dog crap who cannot go through progressions or stand in the pocket. And he misses the most basic throws. Definition of a bust.
I'm not giving up on a 23 year old QB but this is not the organization to develop any QB. The time is right to trade for Rodgers who doesn't need to be developed. Sorry but Mike White is never getting this team through a conference with Allen, Mahomes, and Burrow no matter how good the defense is.

I'm not giving up on a 23 year old QB but this is not the organization to develop any QB. The time is right to trade for Rodgers who doesn't need to be developed. Sorry but Mike White is never getting this team through a conference with Allen, Mahomes, and Burrow no matter how good the defense is.
There are plenty of recent examples of teams with mediocre QBs making it to the Super Bowl. Plus Bortles was a ref crew away

Mike White’s comparison is 100% Chad Pennington except with a stronger arm.

And Chad was the best quarterback this team has had in the last 30 years outside of 1 Vinny Testaverde magical season in 1998.
Chad was better yet not nearly good enough to compete with the best QBs. The AFC is loaded with top QBs and to reach the Super Bowl you will have to beat 2 of them so you better have a pro bowl caliber guy to do just that.

There are plenty of recent examples of teams with mediocre QBs making it to the Super Bowl. Plus Bortles was a ref crew away
Its not impossible but its unlikely mediocre QB play will get you by Allen, Mahomes, and Burrow not to mention Herbert and potentially Lawrence though those organizations are trainwrecks.

Enjoy Derek Carr
Mike White is the starting QB in 2023. And the Jets will get a vet backup like Keenum, Brissett or a Cooper Rush as the backup. All guys who won’t fuck up the salary cap and maintain the current roster depth.

Zach Wilson is a wet shower fart and stinks like one. He will be off this roster before the start of next year.

You mentioned Rodgers cap hit but what do you think White will be making next year since he is a free agent. If the choices are trading for an all time great making 32 million or paying White 20 million plus give me Aaron Rodgers without question.

Mike White is the starting QB in 2023. And the Jets will get a vet backup like Keenum, Brissett or a Cooper Rush as the backup. All guys who won’t fuck up the salary cap and maintain the current roster depth.

Zach Wilson is a wet shower fart and stinks like one. He will be off this roster before the start of next year.
I'm not paying him 20 million or more which is what it will take. Rodgers is the Jets starting QB in 2023 and my +550 will cash. If White is the guy I will root for the guy but the Jets are not winning a Super Bowl with him and that is all that matters.

Back