Lindy Ruff Fired

wow after 16 long yrs. he was in tight with the owner also. lots of talent on the Buffalo theam but not sure the bad start was all Ruffs fault

yikes! Hmmm stuck by him for many years through worse situations but fire him in a shortened season?

Yes, it's been long, long, long overdue. Pegula was too much of a Ruff fan to do it when he first bought the team.

The veterans on this team had tuned him out, most of the young guys aren't/weren't happy, and Ruff's message has just been stale for far too long. The fact that it's a shortened season is pretty meaningless, they can't possibly play any worse than they have been. He has ruined offensive talent for years, making them play into his "system."

wow after 16 long yrs. he was in tight with the owner also. lots of talent on the Buffalo theam but not sure the bad start was all Ruffs fault

The bad start was as much his fault as anyone elses on the team. The Sabres biggest problem this year has been motivation and effort, which is something the coach has to be held responsible for at some point. It's honestly as if the players had stopped competing hard every shift in hopes that it would get Lindy fired.

There were 179 coaching changes in the NHL since Lindy Ruff was hired by the Sabres. That's insane. That's an average of 6 times for every team in the league. They made it to the Finals ONCE in his tenure, and had missed the playoffs 4 of the past 5 years. How he lasted this long is quite remarkable. Pretty much any and everything else has been attempted in this organization, Darcy is most likely on the hot seat himself now (regardless of the recent extension he signed).

How ruff kept his job this long is beyond me.... They had some talented teams.

It was long overdue especially after the start

They better not get Eakins

How ruff kept his job this long is beyond me.... They had some talented teams.

It was long overdue especially after the start

They better not get Eakins

As of now, they are going with Ron Rolston who was coaching the Rochester Americans. He's the brother of Brian Rolston, and seems to be pretty damn well liked by his team. He's 41 years old, never played in the NHL, and may just be the "fresh" face the Sabres need. He is the interim coach for now...

Ya it's just that if pegula is really serious IMO rehire is next and most gms want their own guy

Then Darcy will be shown the door, because he just fired "his guy." Pegula has been questioned for a month or so now about his "our only reason for existence is to win the Stanley Cup" line he spat out when he bought the team....this move is a pretty good step in that direction. Pegula was infatuated with Lindy Ruff, and the fact that he actually fired him (or allowed Darcy to do so) is huge. There aren't many people around here in Buffalo who thought Lindy would ever be fired....seriously. He should have been gone years ago, then when Pegula bought the team and everyone realized he was more of a fan than an owner, this happening was not something any thought would happen.

I think Darcy is gone at the end of the year regardless

sadly for Santa I think Eakins is gone next year regardless, and Buffalo is a prime candidate

In terms of Ruff, he missed the playoffs 6 of 14 years, I have no clue how he stayed that long, anywhere else and he's fired years ago

Problem is that Buffalo team is really bad

Miller is average as I have been saying for years

they have no depth at center, their defense is big but slow and the league is getting faster and faster (you put the Buffalo back end in that Philly/Pitt game last night and the other team scores 10)

In my heart of hearts I hope they want Eakins to coach a full season and get a full body of work.

Look how many marlies are making the leafs tick

One thing though IMO miller has been good all year. They have like 3 wins all year without him. Ther talent is so lacking on all fronts... And they have the leagues leading scorer

Back