LFG Day Until Arizona vs Hawaii/Miami vs Florida

30 Dwight Clark cropped.jpg
Dwight Clark

Answered the doorbell one day when I was 11 or 12, and it was him selling orange gloves for the Block C Club. I think we bought four pairs.

Whoops ! I messed up completely. 34 David Ortiz. I wish him recovery soon.

And. Larry Bird. # 33 in your program. I lack the youth and the talent to bring forth images.
To me, #33 will always be my neighbor, a year older than me, who wore that number as my high school's starting QB and placekicker, as a star for the soccer team, and as a pretty good pitcher whom I could always hit because I used to catch him in the back yard. His dad was a physics professor who watched NASCAR every Sunday, and his son was picked in the second round by the Padres. I looked for a picture of him on the Internet, but couldn't find one.

But, yeah, Bird would be a good choice, too.

To me, #33 will always be my neighbor, a year older than me, who wore that number as my high school's starting QB and placekicker, as a star for the soccer team, and as a pretty good pitcher whom I could always hit because I used to catch him in the back yard. His dad was a physics professor who watched NASCAR every Sunday, and his son was picked in the second round by the Padres. I looked for a picture of him on the Internet, but couldn't find one.

But, yeah, Bird would be a good choice, too.

Very interesting. M. W. Would I recognize this person’s name.

I was off base in my comment about #32. Obviously I missed Jim Brown, top RB of all time. I was afraid someone would post someone else, also a running back. And also a murderer.

ALLTIME GREAT E.D.
289ec8cdff2affe1e058a11d8f6f5eaf.jpg

What year was that? 2010? That's absurd.

Yep, image how upset Bo was. I heard he called one of the refs a cheating cocksucker during the 2nd half. I found it hard to disagree.

One penalty was a personal foul on our guy for kicking away their guy. Their guy was pulling on our guy's nutsack.

Last edited:
1564493537278.png
David Shipman, just passed a couple of days ago. Lead Mojo to an undefeated '72 season and state championship.
He was leading Emory Ballard's wishbone at Aggieland when I got there in 75.

David Shipman, who lead the Panthers to win a state championship in 1972, has died.
CBS7 sat down with a former Permian football player who remembers Shipman not only as an iconic Permian quarterback, but as a good friend.
Rick Coskrey was a few years younger than Shipman when he joined the Permian panthers football team.
He didn’t know Shipman personally at the time, but his reputation was bigger than Ratliff stadium.
“The younger kids idolized him,” Coskrey said. “They all wanted to grow up to be like David Shipman.”
And it’s no wonder.
Shipman lead the Panthers in an undefeated season winning this championship game for the state title.
Even more impressive, he wasn’t even supposed to quarterback the team.
“He was actually a running back and the head starting quarterback got hurt,” Coskrey said. “They moved David to quarterback where he made all state position in a position that wasn’t even really his.”
It wasn’t until years later that he and Coskrey ran into each other and became good friends by bonding over their shared experiences on the field.
Coskrey said Shipman had a good sense of humor and a knack for just about anything from hunting to boxing baseball or track.
He did it all and he did it exactly the way a Panther would.
“Typical Permian player,” Coskey said. “Hard-headed, do what’s right and do it all day long if you have to do it. If you want it, you work for it.”
Coskrey said he was sad to hear about Shipman’s death, but said now that his battle with cancer is through, he’s in a better place.
“David was a heck of a player and a heck of a guy,” he said.
Shipman’s portrait still hangs at Permian High School’s hall of fame where he will always be remembered as one of the greats.

24 Ricky Henderson brah
Ricky Henderson was awesome.

There's another 24 I'm thinking about. He was a high-school all-America, but he was basically a bust when he got to Clemson. He died of cancer at the age of 45, but before he passed, he subdued a hijacker who had broken into the cockpit of a British Airways plane carrying 398 passengers. The hijacker had grabbed the controls and sent the plane into two nose dives. Everyone survived.

RIP, Clarke Bynum.

Ricky Henderson was awesome.

There's another 24 I'm thinking about. He was a high-school all-America, but he was basically a bust when he got to Clemson. He died of cancer at the age of 45, but before he passed, he subdued a hijacker who had broken into the cockpit of a British Airways plane carrying 398 passengers. The hijacker had grabbed the controls and sent the plane into two nose dives. Everyone survived.

RIP, Clarke Bynum.

Had no idea about this and just read up on it. Hell of a story, wow. Thanks for mentioning this.

Let me get a jump on tomorrow
Old School Slinger John Hadl somewhat of a childhood hero of mine along with Unitas, Brodie and Lamonica

2f7bb693f9e8b1bbf875f0818996978d_XL.jpg

That's a good pic. Emmitt looks good in orange, and those 22's sure are prominent.

Back