Lets talk NHL in the summer...

What if Bettman does a Vince McMahon type announcement like that and says and ‘it starts right now!!!’ And they cut to them about to play

dimes is counting your futures as pending regardless of format change..just FYI if you have some in there.

no fans..gonna be weird....litmus test for other sports...

I am absolutely shocked NHL is the first team sport to come back first....cracks me up, and just shows how messed up this virus is.

So they are gonna have the lottery, same odds as past few years, draw for spots 1,2,3

Bottom 7 teams arent involved in playoffs, so if one of them wins any of the picks, its theirs

The bottom 8 picks of lottery are for the 8 teams that lose the qualifying play in, so for the first draft their odds are essentially combined, its 24.5% for pick 1, it will change for picks 2 and 3 depending on who wins them

So if any of the 3 picks goes to the bottom 8, it gets saved for a 2nd lottery

If a 2nd lottery is needed, then after the qualification round is played another lottery will be done, all 8 teams get same odds at whatever is available

These are the current odds, so detroit could move down to 4 possibly

1. Detroit Red Wings, .275, 18.5%
2. Ottawa Senators, .437, 13.5%
3. Ottawa Senators*, .437, 11.5%
4. Los Angeles Kings , 457, 9.5%
5. Anaheim Ducks, .472, 8.5%
6. New Jersey Devils, .493**, 7.5%
7. Buffalo Sabres, .493**, 6.5%
8. Team A , n/a, 6.0%
9. Team B, n/a, 5.0%
10. Team C, n/a, 3.5%
11. Team D, n/a, 3.0%
12. Team E, n/a, 2.5%
13. Team F, n/a, 2.0%
14. Team G, n/a, 1.5%
15. Team H, n/a, 1.0%

The july training camp is interesting, I think it has more to do with next season imo

Players can start working out at team facilities likely next week, they wont be forced but they can, so I don't think training camp will be longer than 2 weeks, means let's say

July 20 start

Playoffs is usually 8-9 weeks, add a week for the play in, that's a finish in early october most likely

Which would mean next season doesn't start till late december or january

I think they are doing that in the hope they can have fans in the stands for next season

Also I bet it takes 2 full seasons to get back to the october start, if that's what they do, but some teams have always wanted to start later anyway, I dont think we would see christmas like the nba may move too

But I could see a mid november start being the end game here by like the 2023 season, have season end in july instead of june

Either way, the plus for the sports world coming out of covid may be two fold

September this year could have

Stanley cup finals, nba finals, us open, ryder cup, opening months of cfb and nfl, and who knows with baseball

Going forward once things are back to normal, June-August could be very improved sports months for everyone, if stanley cup finals goes into july and nba finals start in august

Stanley cup finals, nba finals, us open, ryder cup, opening months of cfb and nfl, and who knows with baseball

Going forward once things are back to normal, June-August could be very improved sports months for everyone, if stanley cup finals goes into july and nba finals start in august

it's awesome, but at the same time i will be having a lot of FOMO from just sticking to football.

It seems like it would be a wise business decision to rival 4-5 months of baseball and 2-3 of football than 3 months of baseball and 4 of football.

I have to wonder, why a two hub system when Bettman says there are 9 cities that could be qualified to host games. Each hub is to have 8 team rounds in the preliminary and first rounds. I would assume that you're going to have series play every other day, so you're talking 4 games every 2 days, or two games a day at each hub. Are they playing a double header in the NHL arena or are they playing at multiple regulation rinks? What happens if there is an outbreak? Now what do you do with the rink? Are you potentially delaying four series instead of just one?

If you have a group of qualified cities, I'd considering using at least 4 hubs in the early rounds, 2 each for each conference. 1 game each night at each hub, leaving plenty of time to clean for the next night's game.

If you win your series, then yeah you might have to go to a different hub for the next round. But the travel element from one series to the next would seem to me to be one of the smallest worries.

I have to wonder, why a two hub system when Bettman says there are 9 cities that could be qualified to host games. Each hub is to have 8 team rounds in the preliminary and first rounds. I would assume that you're going to have series play every other day, so you're talking 4 games every 2 days, or two games a day at each hub. Are they playing a double header in the NHL arena or are they playing at multiple regulation rinks? What happens if there is an outbreak? Now what do you do with the rink? Are you potentially delaying four series instead of just one?

If you have a group of qualified cities, I'd considering using at least 4 hubs in the early rounds, 2 each for each conference. 1 game each night at each hub, leaving plenty of time to clean for the next night's game.

If you win your series, then yeah you might have to go to a different hub for the next round. But the travel element from one series to the next would seem to me to be one of the smallest worries.
Each rink has multiple dressing rooms

So they would have 4 available easily, wouldn't need to clean between games, just end of each day

They have said they wont stop for positive tests, now if a whole team tests positive who knows, but with everyone in same hotel, the chances are minimized

Each rink has multiple dressing rooms

So they would have 4 available easily, wouldn't need to clean between games, just end of each day

They have said they wont stop for positive tests, now if a whole team tests positive who knows, but with everyone in same hotel, the chances are minimized
Hearing rumors in Pittsburgh that a hub will not be able to have their hometown team at that location. That could make the hub choices very simple. Or really complicated.

Hearing rumors in Pittsburgh that a hub will not be able to have their hometown team at that location. That could make the hub choices very simple. Or really complicated.

That would be really dumb, especially if the teams are in hotels, not like they would let sid stay at his house

Theres no 'home ice' without fans

All that would do is piss off the hub cities team for no reason

Which means.... probably true

Rangers +125 series. Give me the best player on the ice with Panarin, the far better goaltending, and overall better talent as well as the team that has dominated this matchup for years. The only thing that would give me pause is David Quinn who is probably the worst coach in the league matching up with Brindamour who is excellent.

Personally I would let the King start in goal but Shesterkin is very good and the Carolina goaltending is amongst the worst in the league. The Rangers sweep this series and this matchup is why Carolina voted against this playoff format.

KY Derby too

Thank god best of 7 in playoffs

Also dont think the family stuff and too much time away will be much of an issue, 8 teams will be gone within 2 weeks of playing, another 8 after 1st playoff round in 2 weeks.

So after 4 weeks you have the final 4 in each conference, at which point the cup is in reach and wont be an issue for being away imo

Plus it sounds like the league is considering the entertainment and keep busy factor for the guys, I've heard renting out a golf course for whole days, theatres, etc.

Also plenty of people have said the 3 week training camp is crazy, most of these guys are already skating or working out informally

If camps start july 10, I've seen former players say 10 days max, 3 weeks is overkill, so if pa pushes for lower camp time, maybe we see games I'm 3rd or so week in July

Thank god best of 7 in playoffs

Also dont think the family stuff and too much time away will be much of an issue, 8 teams will be gone within 2 weeks of playing, another 8 after 1st playoff round in 2 weeks.

So after 4 weeks you have the final 4 in each conference, at which point the cup is in reach and wont be an issue for being away imo

Plus it sounds like the league is considering the entertainment and keep busy factor for the guys, I've heard renting out a golf course for whole days, theatres, etc.
Yup.

This holds true in the NBA as well...

buddy said a penguin player just tested positive, great ... hope that doesn't blow shit up

Brian Leetch is the greatest American player and easily the best defenseman and Mike Richter is the greatest American goalie.

Gonna be a hard no on Richter

I'd give leetch best d man, he has no one really to rival him besides chelios, Quinn hughes will be though down the line

Tsn guy saying he is hearing trudeau is gonna allow some kinda waiver on the 14 day thing for the nhl teams too

Nhl has always said they want 1 west and 1 east, so if I had to guess right now its Toronto and vegas

Also July 10 was confirmed for training camp start, really hoping they shorten training camp, 3 weeks is crazy, let's go 10-14 days max and start a week before nba

Is there any reason why these training camps couldn't have been open by now with games starting the first week of July.
Not really. Once it was known the virus dies within a couple of days on surfaces they could've tested everyone, confirmed no cases or quarantined the positive testers, and resumed the season with no fans. That could've happened in early May in their own buildings. These hub plans are a bit over the top, especially when I keep hearing in Pittsburgh that the hub hosts will need to go to the other hub to play. Now you've guaranteed additional travel beyond just getting to the hubs. At some point teams will need to travel to the other hub to meet their next opponent. At that point we're not much better than having everyone play out of their own buildings, especially now that the NBA had ceded all arenas.

It's either extreme fear that's robbing these folks from using common sense, or greed (continued delays in the hopes of getting spectators into the stands). Could be a combination, fear from players, greed from owners.

Not really. Once it was known the virus dies within a couple of days on surfaces they could've tested everyone, confirmed no cases or quarantined the positive testers, and resumed the season with no fans. That could've happened in early May in their own buildings. These hub plans are a bit over the top, especially when I keep hearing in Pittsburgh that the hub hosts will need to go to the other hub to play. Now you've guaranteed additional travel beyond just getting to the hubs. At some point teams will need to travel to the other hub to meet their next opponent. At that point we're not much better than having everyone play out of their own buildings, especially now that the NBA had ceded all arenas.

It's either extreme fear that's robbing these folks from using common sense, or greed (continued delays in the hopes of getting spectators into the stands). Could be a combination, fear from players, greed from owners.
All of this!

Back