Let the UM/OSU debate begin fellas...

HUNT

CTG Partner
Staff member
here is what Herbie has to say...

Herbstreit rips U-M on radio
TV analyst and ex-OSU quarterback says defense will fail, receiver Breaston is mostly 'worthless.'
Angelique S. Chengelis / The Detroit News
John T. Greilick/The Detroit News
Kirk Herbstreit on U-M receiver Steve Breaston: "Outside of returning a few punts he hasn't done anything since his freshman year."
http://subscribe.detnews.com/
The big game is more than two weeks away, but because of the potential matchup of No. 1 Ohio State versus No. 2 Michigan, the talk already has started.
Here are some excerpts from Kirk Herbstreit on his radio show Monday afternoon on "The Big Show" on WBNS 1460 in Columbus. Herbstreit, a former Ohio State quarterback, is a well-respected college football television analyst:

On the Michigan defense: "I personally don't think their defense, the way Ohio State will spread them out, can just dominate the game and shut Ohio State down."

On Michigan not being able to score enough points to beat OSU: "The way they look right now, I don't think anybody can see that.
"(Receiver) Mario Manningham coming back, one guy doesn't make a big difference in most cases, but the reason it does in Michigan's case is because it's like a domino effect.
"If Manningham's able to come back and be the player that he was before the injury, (receiver Adrian) Arrington can go back to doing what he does, instead of being the go-to guy.
"(Receiver Steve) Breaston can go back to whatever he's doing these days, if they could ever find a way to actually apply him in the offense. He's worthless in my mind, outside of returning a few punts. I'll say that, and he'll end up winning the game for them on Nov. 18. But he hasn't done anything since his freshman year."

On what would happen today if U-M and OSU met: "If those two teams were to play right now, just the way they're playing, I don't even think it would be close. Ohio State not only wins that game the way they're playing right now, maybe by a few scores."

On Michigan's fans not sticking around for last Saturday's game against Northwestern: "If you're a Michigan fan, honestly, help me to understand, you have a team that is No. 2 in the country, you only get a chance to see them play at home six or seven times and you bail in the second quarter?"

I got to admit, Breaston has really dissappointed big time overall, but it hasn't mattered so far. This should be a great one and I see it being a 3-6 point game either way.

Last edited:
He is right about Breaston for most part. The kid has been awesome in the last two bowl games. The regular seasons last 3 years though have been shitty.

If OHio St moves the ball at will against UM I will be as impressed as anyone. I think they move it, just sporadically. Not what they are used to. Game still comes down to basics--defense, turnovers and T.O.P. I think Michigan is well equipped to win 2 outta those 3 catergories.

Gonna be a great game.

i personally think Ohio State will come out on top. If UM plays like they did last week it will be a total blow out. they are just lucky northwestern kept turning the ball over.

Croc69wheat said:
i personally think Ohio State will come out on top. If UM plays like they did last week it will be a total blow out. they are just lucky northwestern kept turning the ball over.

violin

I was wondering the same thing as Herbstreit with regard to the Michigan fans on Saturday. I'm watching the game on TV, it's only a 1-2 score lead the entire game, and the Big House looks like it was half empty early in the game. You have the number two team in the country and your fans can't stay for the game. Very poor Michigan fans. Embarrassing.

Hey TWITA, was John Parsons hiding in your back yard? I heard that he was found wearing a Michigan sweatshirt. j/k.

Herbstreit - also said that the Mich offense without Manningham is dull and boring without big play ability...and he's right...but with him back at 100% (our close to it) it's going to make for one hell of a game with the big play dimension added.

Ohio states run defense is not steller so Mike hart should be able to run against them most of the day. That being said, Michigan cant afford to get down early and be forced to abandon the running game early or they could be in trouble. With manningham probably not being 100% for this game, The buckeyes have a shutdown corner in malcolm jenkins so they should be able to leave him in man coverage all day and not have any issues. Unless Ohio State turns the ball over 3 times or more, I dont see Michigan being able to hang around offensively. Ohio State knows Michigan can shut down the run so they will do what they did last year and spread them out all over the field and put the game in Troy Smiths hands and let him run and pass all day long... Theres not any team in the country with the secondary good enough to contain Ginn, gonzales, Robiskie, Hartline, and Ray small if he returns from his concussion problems.

Just hope for good weather and no turnovers and Ohio State rolls.

Ohio State 31 Michigan 14

Stewart20 said:
Hey TWITA, was John Parsons hiding in your back yard? I heard that he was found wearing a Michigan sweatshirt. j/k.

No, but I wish I found him. That $125,000 would be nice!

And for the record, he was wearing a #13 OSU Maurice Clarett jersey.

Stewart,

Herbie was wrong about that...It was a cold and rainy day, those fans were never there in the first place, there had to have been only 90,000 for the game..definitely not a sellout though.

As for the game, OSU gets a TON of turnovers defensively..UM does not turn the ball over, Mike Hart does not and will not fumble. Henne might throw a pick but that's it. I don't expect to see too much Kevin Grady, I bet Lloyd brings in Jerome Jackson for this one as the backup...the point about turnovers is that is why OSU seems to blow everyone out, they get turnovers, good field position and throw the ball...TOP will be key, Hart will run and run and set up play action over the top all day. The funny thing is UM has used Play action maybe 5 times all year, they haven't used it much...OSU is a different game, huge rivalry game, huge revenge game I take UM anything over 4....This game is won in the trenches, it ALWAYS is, every year. UM is better in the trenches IMO...but I am a homer, don't mind me right?

yup, should be a great one Jump....I am obviously biased, but from a betting standpoint I will strongly look at UM anything over 4, if it is under 3 I will watch as a fan..I expect it to open at 7 and work it's way down to 3 or 3.5 by gametime.

I will be in C-bus for the game.....ANYONE ELSE??? Could be pretty cool...going down Thurday...

JUmp?

BAR?

Hunt?

would not blame UM fans for not going because of the ruthless(some use the word classless) OSU fans...but Jump you better get your ass there:cheers: :smiley_acbe: < and if OSU wins can we turn that guys head to scarlet?

Herbie is about as unbiased as they come...many times locals hate him(when he has criticized throughout the years). I think he is the top guy in college football and is honest every time!

Herbie catches alot of heat over on Bucknuts. They want him to be a homer but he really isn't.

UM has "crushed" teams defensively with their pass rush because they have played against drop back passers. They have like 26 sacks. Won't happen against TS. And our O-Line is more than good enough to keep the onslaught of the D-Line away for the most part.

How many times has a QB that can scramble burn UM? They will keep Pittman at bay, for the most part, but Smith will gain significant yards on the ground. And when not on the ground through the air. No team can stop the WR's that OSU will put out their play after play.

UM will eat some yardage up on the ground but wont put up many points. They have to go to the air. With Jenkins man on man and Oneill and Antonio Smith improving game after game Henne will make mistakes. Henne is less than spectacular. That is the difference between this years D and last years D. Turnovers. So far every team has. I dont think Henne will be any different.

1.) I think this game comes down to their run game against our run D.

2.) Our O putting up points quickly.

3.) Henne not making mistakes.

1a.) I will take the bend and eventually make them punt

2a.) They will not control the tempo or our ability to move the ball.

3a.) Henne wil be asked to win the game instead of manage it and he will buckle like normal.

When it is all said and done you have Smith v. Henne and Tress v. LLLoyd

I take Smith and Tress in any stadium! tOSU 30 scUM 13

Found a picture of BAR in grade school

class.jpg

LMAO!

wish I was going sir, can't afford it man.

I actually am a big herbie fan, he knows his shit.

good write up mut! good point about troy not being your normal drop back passer.

Hunt- I am not positive if I will be at the game but I will be in C-Bus for sure....My buddies are starting to tailgate the Monday prior lol

LOL..shit, I might have to go and just tailgate and we can all talk shit!

Thanks BAR.

Only wish I would/could fly up for the game. But if anyone is in South Florida a former Buckeye/ Dolphin player has a few bar and grills and it gets prett crazy. Especially for The Game. They block off the parking lot and set up kegs, grills , etc and it is all free. Only tips! Good times.

JumpOnBoard said:
Yeah...You are a homer...

Trenches are the key....and it's a draw....

can't wait to decide it.

Trenches are NOT A DRAW

Regardless of outcome..you are kidding yourself there

YesSir said:
Found a picture of BAR in grade school

class.jpg

14-7-1 last 22....

Start talking son after 8 wins in a row..

Ohio St just became a rivalry to us again when Tressel got there...before that ND and even MSU were bigger rivals

Defense-Michigan
Running-Michigan
QB-tOSU
Coaching.tOSU is popular iopnion..but new UM coordinators make that much closer

Special Teams-Michigan

Clasiness of fans-Michigan

Bigger Cocks-Michigan

Michigan 28-24

Sorry ladies

Win or lose..hope for great game. Michigan runs a classy program and is winningest D1 program out there. We also have OWNED the series...

Nuff said

GL Fucknuts

Buckeyes haven't been tested fellas. Nice win at Tex with a team missing secondary and with a new QB. If game was now I would say it would be down to wire if not Texas win.

That Bowling Green game was nice tho...

The point is..rip on UM for NW game when they played in horific conditions and are PURPOSELY playing vanilla

Lets get some SERIOUS talk about the game other than biased shit about matchups.

If you think Troy walks all over them you are kidding yourself..

I have to agree...I just think homefield is huge in this contest...like I said I will play UM if it is over 4, which I expect it to be. Indiana will be a great test for UM to see how well they can handle a spread out offense with a decent qb, although he is no Troy Smith...I will also take the ML if UM impresses next week on Defense like they have all year...

Offense can be vanilla and conservative, they don't need to throw.

YesSir, I'm a student at tOSU so yeah I'm obviously on campus, sadly not going to the game but definately down to drink Thursday-Saturday so yeah when you get into town and are looking to hit up a bar with a happy hour or just a bar and whatnot let me know

B.A.R. said:
Defense-Michigan
Running-Michigan
QB-tOSU
Coaching.tOSU is popular iopnion..but new UM coordinators make that much closer

Special Teams-Michigan

Clasiness of fans-Michigan

Bigger Cocks-Michigan

Michigan 28-24

Sorry ladies

Defense - I personally wouldnt give up the Bucks D but I will try to objectionable and call it a draw

Running - See above, draw

QB - This is a Clinton v Dole drubbing

Coaching - Come on again not close

Special Teams - dont know much about scUM's ST other than Breaston returning but I will say draw for the sake of arguing. Has TGII been a disappointment? I would say no. Look how many shanks we get because everyone, yes everyone tries to angle it out of play. Not flashy, but hey, they wont kick it to him.

Classiness of fans - both have their drunks and retards, your free board on goblue.com is better than our free board at bucknuts. You lose about 3 I.Q. points every hour you are on there. Place is terrible. The premium is getting bad too.

Cocks - I need to take a looksy at yours but you probably have me. I do have decent gerth though.

My best friend is a UM fan and he says the exact same thing you do about the last such and such many years. You cant compare Tressel v LLLoyd and Cooper v LLLoyd. It is a new game. You guys have the Coop now. Cant beat tOSU and cant win the bowl games.

Everyone all of a sudden says OSU has not played anyone. Why were so many people saying we would lose the UT game? Why were there so many people saying we would lose the Iowa game? People are saying we have not played anyone becasue we have dissposed of every team in such a quick and easy manner. Was anyone saying USC wasnt that good last year? Same this year w/ OSU. OSU is that much better than the field this year. Not saying that they can get nipped by UM or Cal or Florida.

With the spped that will be thrown at you guys by our 4-5 WRs and Smith delivering the ball tOSU 30 - UM 13

BAR, Im smiling, and smiling here.

I know now you bet with your heart when it comes to MICH. The team is good BAR but BTS King is right. I conferred with him some time ago, and the Buckeys will cover any spread that comes up on this game. I know you are counting on the Big Play reciever for M here to make a difference but he wont.

As a matter of fact - whoever Mich is playing in the bowl game, they wont cover it. Now thats a long way off and I dont even know who they are playing, but they aint covering.

Of all the hype I have seen on teams this year,, there are three(3) that are way overblown this season.

Worst is first.
1. Mich. rated (2)
2. Wake Forest. (24)
3. Rutgers. (12)

Washingtion st. who is barely ranked can pound Rutgers, or Wake Forest.

Louiville will man handle Rutgers worse than they beat WV.

The Buckeyes will do the same to Mich. Last yr Mich didnt finish better than 40th in offense points scored. This year, with their over-rated status, theyre not even in the top 25!

Watch these teams tumble after losses.(MICH/Rutgers) At the start of the season NONE of these teams were top-ten. MICH (17) and Rut and Wake werent even in the top 25.?

What makes them so good now? This is what undefeated teams have as a burden. They play mostly soft schedules, win a few games on turnovers they could have lost - and all of a sudden they are top-ten rated /top-25 rated!

No offense meant here BAR... just my point from a handicapping view.

I agree, tOSU WILL cover any spread that Vegas puts out. Let the UM supports pound it then see where it is at. At least I am guessing some are going to jump on UM right out of the gates. I hear too much love for UM and the OSU hasnt played anyone talk.

close calls for both teams today....Nov. 18th cannot get here soon enough, UM will get another scare next week IMo, but they do seem to play better on the road.

You can only look like garbage so many weeks in a row before it'll come back to bite you in the ass.

BAR your post is so HOMER I can't even begin to delve into it....

There's no way that tOSU/scUM fans can objectively speak on this game...it's impossible..

To say the trenches aren't even close is a complete joke..

I think I'll late people that aren't personally involved in this one debate it..

Good luck on the 18th boys.

B.A.R.....................come on dude.....i hate michigan with a passion but its gonna be a battle for sure......and who has tosu played????? who has mich played????? mac teams are pretty tough to beat i guess!

I like tOSU big here. Not saying that cause they handled my Horns earlier in the year either because I think that game would be a little closer if played today the way Colt is playing and the fact that they've opened up the playbook more. Still think tOSU wins in a rematch though and if Louisville loses that may become a reality.

That being said tOSU OL did the best job on the Texas DL which might be the best in the nation I've seen in awhile especially during pass protection.

The game being at the Shoe is huge and the fact that Troy Smith is playing on another level and the tOSU coaches are doing a helluva a job (the gameplan vs Texas was fuckin brilliant playing off the Texas WRs, going after the new corners with Gonzo, etc.)

SHSUHorn said:
I like tOSU big here. Not saying that cause they handled my Horns earlier in the year either because I think that game would be a little closer if played today the way Colt is playing and the fact that they've opened up the playbook more. Still think tOSU wins in a rematch though and if Louisville loses that may become a reality.

That being said tOSU OL did the best job on the Texas DL which might be the best in the nation I've seen in awhile especially during pass protection.

The game being at the Shoe is huge and the fact that Troy Smith is playing on another level and the tOSU coaches are doing a helluva a job (the gameplan vs Texas was fuckin brilliant playing off the Texas WRs, going after the new corners with Gonzo, etc.)

:bow:

this is a RIVALRY...it is the BIGGEST rivalry in sports..gimme a 7 and I will be happy. :shake:

I disagree with horn, UM has the best defensive front...Branch and Woodley are just beasts...but what do BAR and I know? we are homers after all.

HUNTDOG said:
this is a RIVALRY...it is the BIGGEST rivalry in sports..gimme a 7 and I will be happy. :shake:

I disagree with horn, UM has the best defensive front...Branch and Woodley are just beasts...but what do BAR and I know? we are homers after all.

I would agree...

Because I'm gonna say that Pidcock and Patterson are the two best DT's we've had in twenty years...

And half would agree...

Jump..both dline's are awesome.

I just think 7 is way too many points in this big of a rivalry...and with 2 great defenses, it is good value IMO..I give OSU 3 points for home field and troy smith and jim tressel 2 points....that's 5 points..I gladly take 7.

Jump

Both teams have excellent Olines.

Michigan has best D line in country no matter what any Texas kids have to say.

Thats why I say that about the trenches.

We actually give Ohio St credit here. I see more pissy posts from Buckeye fans so I will go back at em for next few weeks.

We have dominated this serieds over time, have a nattie championship to our credit as well as a few Heismans. Not many schools can compare with Michigan. Ohio St certainly has a ways to go to get on our level.

Coaching wise, this game is a little closer than the last few years. In fact, a lot closer IMO.

You guys have the HFA, you should win. That was the case years ago when UM won 13-9 at the Shoe. Also, when Michigan won 37-21 behind one Drew Henson. That was the worst UM defense ever IMO. Howabout when Tim Biakubutuka ran for 313 on that vaunted OSU team back in 95 I believe?

Its truew the other way too. Michigan was the team a few years ago but tOSU played excellent behind an improving Troy Smith. Also, 2001, when Michigan slept thru the first half. Took too long to wake up and lost 20-26

The thing with this series, since about the late nineties more often than not the team that shouldn't win does.

Back