-$49,660

Approaching my budget for season

4 Lefties on the mound today

Chen-Marlins
Boyd-Tigers
Ramos-Rangers
Manaea-A's

Chen vs Rea

Rea will be making his 12th start of the season Monday (7:10 p.m.) while facing the Marlins for the first time in his career. Ironically, Wei, who will be making his 130th career start, has never faced the Padres.
And this will be the first meeting of the season between the two teams, each of which lost the rubber games of series on the road Sunday.
Miami was blanked 6-0 by Arizona in Phoenix as it fell to 2-4 after two stops of a three-city road trip.
The Padres dropped a 2-1 decision at Colorado ... adding to one of the worst stats in all of baseball for 2016. The Padres are 0-10 on Sundays this season -- and 1-20 in the finales of the 21 series they've played to date.
On the flip side, the Padres are 14-7 in the openers of series.
Rea is 3-2 with a 4.74 earned run average going into his 12th start of the season. Chen is 3-2 with a career-high 4.56 ERA going into his 13th start. Chen, a product of Taiwan by way of the American League, has only one win in his past seven starts. Rea is 0-1 in his last five starts.
One area where Rea might have an edge is with the bat. Rea is 3-for-22 this season with an RBI and three runs scored and is 5-for-31 in his career. Chen is 0-for-28 in his career at the plate and recently switched to hitting right-handed.
"I just started hitting right-handed," Chen recently told Miami reporters, "so I'm going to need a little time adjusting."
Chen's first hit wouldn't be the first hitting milestone for a pitcher against the Padres this season. Bartolo Colon hit the first homer of his career against Shields when he was still with the Padres on May 7.

Ramos vs Manaea (both lefties)

While the condition of Darvish's shoulder remains a mystery, so does Monday's starting pitcher. Banister said left-handed reliever Cesar Ramos was "most likely" to get the start but did not fully commit to him. Ramos is 1-2 with a 3.58 ERA in seven appearances (three starts) and has made two appearances spanning five innings since May 21.
The murkiness regarding Darvish's shoulder is not the only physical issue Texas is dealing with. Adrian Beltre missed his fourth consecutive game Sunday due to a hamstring injury, and although Banister said the third baseman is making progress, the team does not have a timetable for his return.
In the meantime, the Rangers kept winning, as their 6-4 decision at Seattle on Sunday was their eighth victory in 10 games. Cole Hamels allowed one run in seven innings, and Mitch Moreland and Ian Desmond hit two-run homers.
While the Rangers have won seven of nine meetings with Seattle, they were outscored 19-7 in a three-game sweep in Oakland from May 16-18 but are 15-5 since then. The A's owned a 19-22 record when Khris Davis homered four times in the sweep. Since then, the Athletics have lost 14 of their past 21 games.
Oakland ended a seven-game losing streak Sunday by getting home runs from Marcus Semien, Jake Smolinski and Danny Valencia in a 6-1 victory over the Reds at Cincinnati. During the skid, Oakland batted .219 and posted a 5.16 ERA.
"You have to stay positive," Smolinski said. "It's a long season, a lot of things can happen. We just have to even out those tough spots we've been hitting. We just have to stick with it and come out every day ready to play."
The first pitch of the game will start about an hour after the Golden State Warriors begin Game 5 of the NBA Finals against the Cleveland Cavaliers at Oracle Arena across the parking lot. Oakland will hope Sean Manaea can pitch as well as Stephen Curry can shoot 3-pointers.
Manaea is 2-3 with a 6.20 ERA but has pitched better recently, going 2-3 with a 4.18 ERA in his past five starts. Manaea last pitched Tuesday in Milwaukee, when he allowed five runs and six hits in seven innings during a 5-4 loss to the Brewers.
The right-hander's only start against Texas was also his first career victory. On May 16, he allowed one run and four hits in 6 2/3 innings of a 3-1 win.

Boyd vs Shields

James Shields (2-8, 5.06 ERA) will make his second start since joining the White Sox on June 4 in a trade with the San Diego Padres. Shields will try to bounce back from a miserable first start with the White Sox in which he allowed seven earned runs in two-plus innings against the Nationals.
Shields, 34, is familiar with the Tigers after spending the majority of his career with Tampa Bay and Kansas City in the American League. In 18 career starts against Detroit, Shields is 7-6 with a 4.10 ERA.
Left-hander Matt Boyd (0-1, 3.38 ERA) will start for the Tigers. The 25-year-old hurler did not earn the victory in his last outing despite limiting the Toronto Blue Jays to one run on three hits in 5 1/3 innings. Monday's game will mark his first career appearance against the White Sox.
Tigers second baseman Ian Kinsler carries a hot bat into the series. Kinsler recorded the first five-RBI game of his career Saturday against the Yankees, and he slammed a two-run home run in Sunday's finale.
"He's kind of Steady Eddie," Tigers manager Brad Ausmus told MLB.com. "He plays all the time, he's basically always hitting the same spot in the lineup. He's very intense and into the game. He's a catalyst and he brings a lot of attitude to the ballpark, in a good way."

-$49,660

Could be last day of the season for me. A total embarrassment

Tigers/White Sox under 9.5 -$120
$2,400/$2,000
Nats game -$131 $3,930/$3,000
Reds game +$108 $3,000/$3,240

Recap

LOSS White Sox/Tigers under 9.5 -$2,400
WIN Nats game +$3,000
WIN Reds game +$3,240

2-1
-$2,400 +$6,240 = +$3,840

+$3,840 -$49,660 = -$45,820

-$49,660

Could be last day of the season for me. A total embarrassment

Tigers/White Sox under 9.5 -$120
$2,400/$2,000
Nats game -$131 $3,930/$3,000
Reds game +$108 $3,000/$3,240

-$45,820

Price-Red Sox
Bumgarner-Giants
Perez-Rangers
Garcia-Cardinals
Surkamp-A's
Gonzalez-Nats
Finnegan-Reds
Pomeranz-Padres
De La Rosa-Rockies

Price

Price is 2-4 with a 2.90 ERA over 20 lifetime starts against Baltimore. Price has faced the Orioles once already this year, giving up five runs on as many hits with two walks and eight strikeouts in his second start as a member of the Red Sox on April 11.
The former Cy Young Award recipient is 4-1 with a 5.61 ERA at home this season.
Price is winless in his last three starts, including a pitchers' duel at San Francisco, in which he surrendered just two runs on three hits while striking out seven in eight innings on Wednesday.
Mark Trumbo has proven a good foil to Price, hitting .364 (8-for-22) with two homers and seven RBIs against him. Matt Wieters (.319, 15-for-47, four RBIs), Manny Machado (.273, 6-for-22) and Nolan Reimold (.133, 4-for-30, four RBIs) have also hit homers off Price.
Wieters has six doubles and Adam Jones (.265, 13-for-49) has four against Price.
Collectively, the nine active Orioles who have faced Price are hitting .272 (56-for-206) against him. However, they've also struck out 83 times.
Baltimore has outscored Boston 51-38 in winning four of the seven meetings this year.

Bumgarner

"Bumgarner, (Roy) Halladay, Cy Young, it doesn't matter. I don't care. I'm happy to be back out on that bump," Garza said. "I've faced guys year in, year out, and the names change. The mound and the baseball diamond doesn't, so I'm ready to be back out there."
Garza was 6-14 with a 5.63 ERA in 2015 during his debut season with the Brewers -- the worst year of his career. He says he pitched "with a purpose" in each of his three rehab starts with low Class A Wisconsin, a stretch in which he compiled a 4.76 ERA.
"First outing was just get my feet wet and feel good," he said. "The second outing was more of commanding the strike zone and mixing in pitches. And the third outing was trying to get strikeouts, trying to use my breaking stuff to put guys away."
Garza's biggest challenge Tuesday night might be keeping his emotions in control, along with his pitches.
"Energy level is through the roof, so I'm real amped up for Tuesday and ... I got to find a way to calm it down," he said.
The Brewers made room for Garza by demoting Opening Day starter Wily Peralta to Triple-A Colorado Springs. Milwaukee manager Craig Counsell said sending down Peralta was a tough decision, but the team needed better production from that spot in the rotation.
He knows Garza is ready and eager to go.
"For us, Matty's had an unfortunate injury right at the end of spring training," Counsell said. "It's been a long road back for him. He's anxious to get back out there. You miss the first 2 1/2 months, and he's anxious for sure. He's been chomping at the bit for a while. He's going to take the ball every five days, so we're not gonna get to crazy about the results in one start, but it's good to have him back out there."
Even though he hasn't pitched this year, Garza is no mystery to the Giants.
"We have a pretty good idea about him," San Francisco manager Bruce Bochy said. "We've faced him. Good stuff. Experienced starter with very good stuff. Haven't seen him because this is first start this year, but he's a good pitcher."
The Brewers are familiar with Bumgarner, too, having faced him on Opening Day. The San Francisco ace allowed three runs in five innings, but he emerged with the victory as the Giants won 12-3 in Milwaukee.
That was one of only two starts this season in which Bumgarner allowed more than two earned runs. Since May 1, he is 5-0 with a 0.96 ERA in eight starts.
In nine career starts against the Brewers, Bumgarner is 6-2 with a 2.25 ERA.

Gonzalez

Gonzalez has lost his last four decisions after starting the year in a positive note under new manager Dusty Baker and first-year pitching coach Mike Maddux.
Gonzalez (3-5, 3.93 ERA) will face Chicago right-hander John Lackey (7-2, 2.63 ERA) after Washington's Max Scherzer started against Cubs right-hander Kyle Hendricks on Monday in a 4-1 victory. Scherzer took a perfect game into the sixth, and the rest of the series could see more solid pitching.
Gonzalez has the highest ERA of any of the six probable starters in the series. The lowest belongs to the Cubs' Jason Hammel (2.36), slated to start Wednesday.

Garcia

Righthander Doug Fister (6-3, 3.34) starts for Houston Tuesday night opposite lefthander Jaime Garcia (4-5, 3.89). Fister has won five straight decisions, allowing only one run in 12 innings during two starts this month.
Meanwhile, Garcia struggled in a no-decision at Cincinnati Wednesday night, getting pounded for 13 hits and five runs in 4 2/3 innings. But the Cardinals' offense bailed him out, outslugging the Reds 12-7.
Wednesday night's series finale matches the Astros' Collin McHugh (5-5, 5.22) and the Cardinals' Adam Wainwright (5-4, 5.21).
This is the first regular season meeting between the former NL Central rivals and first since St. Louis admitted to hacking into Houston's scouting and personnel computer base last June. The revelation led to the dismissal of Cardinals scouting director Chris Correa.

Perez

Perez will try to extend his four-game winning streak Tuesday night when the Texas Rangers face the Oakland A's
Perez (5-4) went 1-4 in his first nine starts this season with a 3.48 ERA, 31 strikeouts and 28 walks. But over his past four starts he's gone 4-0 with a 2.63 ERA, 12 strikeouts and eight walks.
In his previous start, Perez gave up two runs on four hits over six innings in a 5-3 victory against Houston. It was his fourth straight quality start.
"I'm just trying to keep the game close, do my job and trust my pitches," Perez said after beating Houston. "I tried to go out there with my best stuff and compete as hard as I could."
The left-handed Perez is 3-5 with a 5.81 ERA in nine career starts against Oakland. He took the loss on May 18 at the Coliseum in his only start vs. the A's this season, giving up four runs and hits over seven innings in an 8-1 defeat. Khris Davis went 2-for-2 with a solo home run, and third baseman Danny Valencia was 2-for-3 with two RBIs.

-$45,820

Blue Jays 1st 5 innings -1/2 -$180
$5,400/$3,000
Blue Jays 1st 5 innings over 4.5 -$115
$3,450/$3,000
Blue Jays team total over 5 -$120
$4,800/$4,000

Recap:

Won all 3 bets before bottom of the 5th. Is there hope still? Stay tuned

WIN Blue Jays 1st 5 innings -1/2 +$3,000
WIN Blue Jays 1st 5 innings over 4.5 +$3,000
WIN Blue Jays team total over 5 +$4,000

3-0
+$10,000 -$45,820 = -$35,820

-$45,820

Blue Jays 1st 5 innings -1/2 -$180
$5,400/$3,000
Blue Jays 1st 5 innings over 4.5 -$115
$3,450/$3,000
Blue Jays team total over 5 -$120
$4,800/$4,000

-$35,825

Seattle 1st 5 innings +$100 $2,000/$2,000
Seattle game +$105 $3,000/$3,150
Seattle team total over 3.5 -$120 $4,800/$4,000

Adding these three

Reds 1st 5 innings +$125 $2,000/$2,5000
Reds 1st 5 innings over 4 -$110 $3,300/$3,000
Nats/Cubs 1st 5 innings under 4 -$110 $3,300/$3,000
Pirates/Mets 1st 5 innings over 3.5 -$120 $3,600/$3,000

Recap

WIN Reds 1st 5 innings +$2,500
PUSH Reds 1st 5 innings over 4 (3-1)
PUSH Nats/Cubs under 4 1st 5 innings (3-1)
LOST Pirates/Mets 1st 5 innings over 3.5 -$3,600

1-1-2
-$3,600 +$2,500 = -$1,100

-$1,100 -$35,825 = -$36,925

Adding these three

Reds 1st 5 innings +$125 $2,000/$2,5000
Reds 1st 5 innings over 4 -$110 $3,300/$3,000
Nats/Cubs 1st 5 innings under 4 -$110 $3,300/$3,000
Pirates/Mets 1st 5 innings over 3.5 -$120 $3,600/$3,000

Recap

-$36,925

WIN Seattle 1st 5 innings +$2,000
LOST Seattle game -$3,000
WIN Seattle team total over 3.5 +$4,000

2-1
+$6,000 -$3,000 = +$3,000

+$3,000 -$36,925 = -$33,925

-$35,825

Seattle 1st 5 innings +$100 $2,000/$2,000
Seattle game +$105 $3,000/$3,150
Seattle team total over 3.5 -$120 $4,800/$4,000

-$30,925

I've given myself some breathing room. But still awful

8 Lefties on the hill tonight, including the best one

Kershaw-Dodgers
Sale-White Sox
Locke-Pirates
Holland-Rangers
Smyly-Rays
Santiago-Angels
Corbin-D'Backs
Nicolino-Marlins

Kershaw

Kershaw might lead the major league pitchers in virtually every statistical category two weeks into June, but the Diamondbacks have found a way to hold their own against him in his career, even during his last five remarkable seasons.
Arizona has beaten Kershaw eight times in 23 starts, the most of any team in the major leagues. It is true the Diamondbacks have seen him plenty in the National League West, but none of the other teams in the division has fared as well.
Kershaw is 18-7 with a 1.62 ERA against San Francisco, 17-5 with a 3.20 ERA against Colorado and 14-6 with a 2.05 ERA against San Diego. He is 11-8 with a 2.76 ERA against Arizona.
An in-depth look at the numbers reveals more of the same. The Diamondbacks' batting average (.238), on-base percentage (.296), slugging percentage (.351) and OPS (.647) against Kershaw are the highest among opponents who have faced him more than three times.
Not that the Diamondbacks and opposing starter Patrick Corbin should expect a day at the park.
Kershaw (9-1) already has three shutouts, tied for the major league lead, and has given up 59 hits in 100 2/3 innings. He has 122 strikeouts and six -- six -- walks. He leads the majors in ERA (1.52) and WHIP (0.65).
Kershaw has finished first, second, first, first and third in the last five NL Cy Young Award votes, but his splits thus far as the best they have ever been.
"Clayton has been Clayton," Dodgers third baseman Justin Turner said. "He's a guy that changes the mentality of this team every time he takes the ball. I think that is something that as a club that we are trying to get to sustain it every day, but there is definitely a different demeanor when we know he is taking the mound for us.
"It's one thing to have six walks. It's another thing to have all the strikeouts. It is even more impressive. It doesn't surprise any of us. We all know the amount of work and how dedicated he is. He's our guy, and there's a reason he's an ace and a multi-Cy Young winner."
Turner has four hits, including a homer, and a walk in the first two games of the series at Chase Field. He had one of the Dodgers' four homers in a 7-4 victory on Tuesday, when Joc Pederson hit two.
The Diamondbacks will attempt to win their first home series against the Dodgers since May 16-18, 2014, in Wednesday's finale. They were 6-13 against the Dodgers last season and 4-15 against them in 2013.
Arizona first baseman Paul Goldschmidt had an RBI single on Tuesday to extend his streak of reaching base to 19 games. He is hitting .391 since May 27.
Goldschmidt has been particularly hard on the Dodgers, with 23 homers and 67 RBIs in 81 games against them. Both numbers are the most by any player against the Dodgers since Goldschmidt made his major league debut on Aug. 1, 2011.

Sale

Sale is coming off a six-inning outing against Kansas City when he allowed five earned runs and 11 hits but was bailed out by the White Sox offense, which put up seven runs. Afterward, Sale focused on the team win rather than dwelling too much on the quality of his outing.
"It didn't work out for me, but were still in here (celebrating)," Sale said.
"Even when he has struggled, Sale has become the White Sox most consistent starter in a rotation that has undergone its own roller coaster ride.
"The White Sox parted ways with John Danks and Mat Latos and brought in James Shields, who has struggled mightily in his first two outings in Chicago. Carlos Rodon has been a mixed bag and Jose Quintana hasn't gotten enough run support as the Sox have fallen on hard times after starting 23-10.
Through all of that, Sale has provided a sense of stability for manager Robin Ventura.
"You know when he goes out there pretty much what you're going to get," Ventura said. "That's the biggest thing is you see you have a pretty good shot of getting some innings and getting a win."
Sale will face Mike Pelfrey on Wednesday in the series finale between the Tigers and White Sox.
Pelfrey (1-6) has experienced his own struggles and has lost three of his last four starts after four straight no-decisions. His last victory came June 4 against the White Sox when he allowed two runs and five hits in six innings.
Sale, meanwhile, will look for his second straight victory in a season when he has often fought his own emotions in the outings when he has had difficulty finding the strike zone.

Holland

Holland (5-5) had four straight quality starts, lowering his ERA from 6.09 to 4.53, before having a rough outing against Seattle on Friday. He gave up five runs and three home runs over five innings in a 7-5 loss. Holland gave up two home runs to Dae-Ho Lee and one to Kyle Seager.
Holland had allowed only six home runs this season before Friday when he allowed three in a game for the sixth time in his career.
"I'm not going to get too caught up in it," Holland said Tuesday of his last start. "I feel like my mechanics are where they need to be. I feel very confident going into it."
Holland is 5-5 with a 3.24 ERA over 19 games, including 14 starts, against the A's. At the Coliseum, he's 3-4 with a 2.95 ERA in 12 appearances, including 10 starts. He gave up two runs on three hits over six innings in a 3-1 loss to the A's in Oakland on May 16.
"I do enjoy pitching here," Holland said. "It's a very pitcher-friendly ball park. It's a very comfortable feeling, but at the same time I can't worry about the stats that have happened before or anything like that. I've got to focus on what's going on tomorrow and go out and execute my pitches."
Holland is 0-3 with a 5.16 ERA in his past five appearances, including four starts, against Oakland.

Nicolino

Marlins improved to 20-15 on the road Tuesday.
Now it is up to the 24-year-old Nicolino, who will be facing the Padres for the first time. Nicolino is 1-1 on the road this season with a 4.63 ERA. He is also 0-1 in day games. Nicolino has worked 51 innings over nine starts. Opponents are hitting .313 against the Florida native, who has allowed 62 hits and 14 walks for a 1.49 WHIP.
The wildcard is Perdomo, who was force-fed into the Padres rotation when Andrew Cashner went on the 15-day disabled list with a neck strain June 11 a week after the Padres traded James Shields to the Chicago White Sox.
This will be Perdomo's third start and 18th appearance. His most recent start was June 5 against Colorado when he gave up six runs on eight hits and a walk in 4 1/3 innings against the Rockies at Petco Park. In his two starts, he has given up eight runs on 12 hits and three walks in 6 1/3 innings.
He is, however, coming off his most impressive outing of his rookie season.

-$30,925

Playing two afternoon games

Marlins 1st 5 innings -$115 $2,300/$2,000
Marlins game -$110 $2,200/$2,000
Giants 1st 5 innings -$230 $4,600/$2,000
Giants game -$220 $6,600/$3,000

Night game plays

Seattle game over 7.5 -$115 $3,450/$3,000
Seattle race to 3 runs -$120 $3,600/$3,000
Cardinals game over 8.5 -$110 $2,200/$2,000
Cardinals race to 3 runs +$105
$3,000/$3,150
Mets 1st 5 innings -$175 $3,500/$2,000
Mets NO score 1st inning -$150 $3,000/$2,000
Mets NO HR in game +$300 $1,000/$3,000

Recap the afternoon plays

LOST Marlins 1st 5 innings -$2,300
LOST Marlins game -$2,200
WIN Giants 1st 5 innings +$2,000
WIN Gaints game +$3,000

+$5,000 -$4,500 = +$500

+$500 -$30,925 = -$30,425

-$30,925

Playing two afternoon games

Marlins 1st 5 innings -$115 $2,300/$2,000
Marlins game -$110 $2,200/$2,000
Giants 1st 5 innings -$230 $4,600/$2,000
Giants game -$220 $6,600/$3,000

Recap

LOST Seattle game over 7.5 -$3,450
LOST Seattle race to 3 runs -$3,600
LOST Cardinals over 8.5 -$2,200
LOST Cardinals race to 3 runs -$3,000
WIN Mets 1st 5 innings +$2,000
LOST Mets no score 1st inning -$3,000
LOST NO HR in game -$1,000

1-6
+$2,000 -$16,250 = -$14,250

-$14,250 -$30,425 = -$44,675

Night game plays

Seattle game over 7.5 -$115 $3,450/$3,000
Seattle race to 3 runs -$120 $3,600/$3,000
Cardinals game over 8.5 -$110 $2,200/$2,000
Cardinals race to 3 runs +$105
$3,000/$3,150
Mets 1st 5 innings -$175 $3,500/$2,000
Mets NO score 1st inning -$150 $3,000/$2,000
Mets NO HR in game +$300 $1,000/$3,000

-$44,675

7 Lefties on the hill today

Happ-Blue Jays
Duffy-Royals
Sabathia-Yankees
Rodriguez-Red Sox
Snell-Rays
Paxton-Padres
Kazmir-Dodgers

Happ

33-year-old Happ, a third-round pick of the Phillies in 2004, was sent to Houston at the 2010 trade deadline as part of the deal that brought Philadelphia veteran right-hander Roy Oswalt. Happ (7-3, 3.70) is in his second tour of duty with the Blue Jays, one of five teams for which he has pitched in his 10-year career.
He is 3-0 with a 1.56 ERA in three career starts against the Phillies, but this season has allowed 10 runs in 12 innings while splitting his last two starts. He earned an 11-6 victory over Baltimore his last time out, going seven innings and allowing four runs on eight hits, including three home runs. He struck out five and didn't walk a batter.

Kazmir

Scott Kazmir looks to stay on a roll Thursday when Los Angeles opens a four-game series against the Milwaukee Brewers
Kazmir hasn't lost since May 9, when he allowed four runs (three earned) over 5 2/3 innings in a 4-2 loss to the Mets. In his six starts since, he's gone 3-0 with a 3.47 ERA with 39 strikeouts in 36 1/3 innings.
Against the Giants last time out, Kazmir allowed three runs over five innings as the Dodgers dropped a 10-inning marathon to their archrivals 5-4 on Saturday in San Francisco.

Rodriguez

On May 31, Eduardo Rodriguez came off the disabled list and beat the Baltimore Orioles -- the team that traded him away in 2014 -- in his 2016 debut.
Thursday night, the young left-hander, who has had two poor starts since, looks to beat the O's again and pitch his Boston Red Sox back into sole possession of first place in the American League East.
Rodriguez, acquired by the Red Sox in the trade deadline deal that sent Andrew Miller to Baltimore, failed to beat the Orioles in three starts last season but then worked six solid innings for the win after coming off the DL.
Then, the roof caved in on Rodriguez, who has been touched for 10 hits and nine earned runs and walked seven in 10 1/3 innings in his last two starts.
"It's all about consistent command," Red Sox manager John Farrell said before his team even the early first-place showdown series with a 6-4 win over the Orioles on Wednesday night. "It's something he's done in the past and something he did in his first start against the Orioles.
"He threw six quality innings in Baltimore and has shown it in a few other starts. It's all about maintaining consistent command."
He's not the only one trying to turn things around Thursday. Before Wednesday's game, Baltimore manager Buck Showalter tabbed right-hander Tyler Wilson as his starter -- and Wilson has struggled as well.

Sabathia

Two months ago, CC Sabathia was slotted in as the fifth starter for the New York Yankees.
Now he is pitching like the ace of an inconsistent rotation.
Sabathia looks to continue his renaissance Thursday night and the Yankees try to end a four-game losing streak when they visit the Minnesota Twins in the opener of a four-game series.
Sabathia takes a 14-inning scoreless streak into Thursday, the American League's fourth ERA and the 10th lowest in the majors (minimum 50 innings. Through 10 starts, Sabathia has the lowest ERA of his 16-year career.
The left-hander kept it going by allowing five hits in seven innings of Friday's 4-0 win over the Detroit Tigers. It was the second straight scoreless start and the first time Sabathia has not allowed a run in consecutive starts since June 30-July 10, 2011.
Sabathia's current ran began May 4 when he pitched seven innings of a 7-0 win in Baltimore. Coincidentally it was the same night he injured his groin but starting with those seven innings, he has a 0.71 ERA, the lowest in any six-start span of his career and the ERA has dropped from an unsightly 5.06.
So what's fueling this turnaround for someone considered to be a highly paid fifth starter during spring training? The most noticeable component of Sabathia's resurgence is simply knowing how to pitch and adjust to diminished velocity by using other pitchers such as the cutter.
"I think it's difficult because when you have 97 or 98 in the tank, you can rely on that when you're struggling with your other stuff," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "But he understands who he is now."
Also helping Sabathia is health. The groin injury was minor compared to the 2014 knee injury which ended his season in May and even smaller than last August's knee injury, which led to Sabathia successfully adjusting to pitching with a knee brace.
"I knew that, obviously every pitcher ages, and you lose your fastball velocity and all that stuff," Sabathia said. "It took a while (to adjust) and it was health. I just wasn't healthy enough to execute the pitches, so me being pain-free is a big difference."
Now Sabathia is someone the Yankees are hoping will get them back on track. Since Sabathia's last outing, New York has dropped four straight to Detroit and Colorado and its other four combined to allow 18 earned runs and 30 hits in 21 1/3 innings.
The Yankees went over .500 for the first time in two months after Sabathia's last outing but during their current four-game losing streak, they have scored seven of their 15 runs in one inning. They were held without an extra-base hit during Wednesday's 6-3 loss at Colorado and have dropped eight of their last 12 road games since taking four in Oakland May 19-22.
"This is an important month," Girardi said. "We can't keep having months where we're not making up ground. If you are losing ground, it's going to be tough catching up."
Sabathia has done well against the Twins, going 17-9 with a 3.20 ERA in 36 starts. Nine of those have been with the Yankees as he is 5-1 with a 3.47 against Minnesota since 2008.

-$44,675

Fingers crossed here

Rangers 1st 5 innings -$130 $2,600/$2,000
Rangers game -$125 $3,750/$3,000
Rangers over 8.5 -$110 $4,400/$4,000
Mariners/Rays over 8 -$110 $4,400/$4,000

Night game

Blue Jays 1st 5 innings -$130 $3,900/$3,000
Blue Jays team total over 4 -$110
$4,400/$4,000
Yankees 1st 5 innings -$120 $4,800/$4,000
Pirates 1st 5 innings +$110 $3,000/$3,300

Last edited:
Recap

PUSH Rangers 1st 5 innings (0-0)
WIN Rangers game (5-1) +$3,000
LOST Rangers over 8.5 (5-1) -$4,400
WIN Mariners/Rays over 8 +$4,000

2-1-1
+$7,000 -$4,400 = +$2,600

-$44,675 +$2,600 = -$42,075

-$44,675

Fingers crossed here

Rangers 1st 5 innings -$130 $2,600/$2,000
Rangers game -$125 $3,750/$3,000
Rangers over 8.5 -$110 $4,400/$4,000
Mariners/Rays over 8 -$110 $4,400/$4,000

Recap

WIN Blue Jays 1st 5 innings +$3,000
WIN Blue Jays team total over 4 +$4,000
LOST Yankees 1st 5 innings -$4,800
LOST Pirates 1st 5 innings -$3,000

2-2
+$7,000 -$7,800 = -$800

-$800 -$42,075 = -$42,875

Night game

Blue Jays 1st 5 innings -$130 $3,900/$3,000
Blue Jays team total over 4 -$110
$4,400/$4,000
Yankees 1st 5 innings -$120 $4,800/$4,000
Pirates 1st 5 innings +$110 $3,000/$3,300

-$42,875

Dodgers 1st 5 innings -$145 $4,350/$3,000
Dodgers race to 3 runs -$110 $4,400/$4,000
Nats race to 3 runs -$160 $6,400/$4,000

Recap:

LOST Dodgers 1st 5 innings -$4,350
LOST Dodgers race to 3 runs -$4,400
WIN Nats race to 3 runs +$4,000

1-2
+$4,000 -$8,750 = -$4,750

-$4,750 -$42,875 = -$47,625

-$42,875

Dodgers 1st 5 innings -$145 $4,350/$3,000
Dodgers race to 3 runs -$110 $4,400/$4,000
Nats race to 3 runs -$160 $6,400/$4,000

-$47,625

11 Lefties on the mound tonight

Hamels-Rangers
Lamb-Reds
Dean-Twins
Elas-Red Sox
Quintana-White Sox
Friedrich-Padres
Urias-Dodgers
Conley-Marlins
Ray-D'Backs
Morgan-Phillies
Liriano-Pirates

Hamels

Cole Hamels (6-1, 3.14) starts the series opener for Texas. Hamels is coming off a 6-4 victory Sunday over Seattle, allowing only four hits and a run in seven innings with two walks and five strikeouts. He's 3-4 in 12 career starts against St. Louis.
The Rangers are deep and balanced, enabling them to overcome off years from Prince Fielder and Mitch Moreland, who are hitting .197 and .232, respectively. They've gotten a huge bounceback year from Ian Desmond, the former Washington shortstop who signed as an outfielder and has merely batted a team-high .310 with 10 homers and 44 RBIs.
The 30-year old Desmond, who was seen by many as a cautionary tale after turning down a huge multi-year contract offer from the Nationals early last year and then settling for a one-year deal with Texas in late February, could play in next month's All-Star Game.

Liriano vs Arietta

Cubs right-hander Jake Arrieta (10-1, 1.86 ERA) takes the mound against Pirates left-hander Francisco Liriano (4-6, 4.92 ERA).
Arrieta, the reigning NL Cy Young Award winner, has been superb through 13 starts including a no-hitter in April and two wins over the Pirates in May.
Liriano, meanwhile, has had a hard-luck run since May 13 when the Cubs knocked him for eight runs on nine hits in a 9-4 Pirates loss at Wrigley Field. Liriano has five losses in his last six starts, including three straight.
The 32-year-old left-hander had seven days rest between starts before facing the Cardinals on Saturday. He told reporters that he felt better despite allowing four runs (one earned) on four hits while striking out eight in Pittsburgh's 5-1 loss to St. Louis.
"Everything was more at the plate," Liriano told reporters. "Not way too high, way too low. ... I feel like I threw the ball better today than the last couple times."
Pittsburgh and St. Louis are already a fair distance behind Chicago.
The Cubs could conceivably head into the season's next benchmark -- the Fourth of July -- with double-digit game leads on both.

Urias

Julio Urias will attempt to follow up his strongest outing of the season when the Los Angeles Dodgers meet the Milwaukee Brewers in the second game of a four-game series
Urias (0-2, 5.82), the 19-year-old Dodgers rookie, struck out a career-tying seven, walked one and allowed two runs on four hits in 5 1/3 innings in a 2-1 setback to the San Francisco Giants on June 12.

Quintana

Quintana will start Friday's game for Chicago. The White Sox have scored an average of just 2.76 runs in Quintana's 13 starts, which helps explain why he is just 5-7 despite a 2.66 ERA which ranks 4th in the AL

-$47,625

Yet again on the brink.

Blue Jays 1st 5 innings over 5 -$110 $3,300/$3,000
Marlins 1st 5 innings over 4 -$120 $3,600/$3,000
Mets 1st 5 innings over 3.5 -$125 $3,750/$3,000
White Sox 1st 5 innings under 4.5 -$125 $2,500/$2,000

-$47,625

Yet again on the brink.

U know I rooting for U Lefty :shake:

Recap

WIN Blue Jays over 5 1st 5 innings +$3,000
LOST Marlins over 4 1st 5 innings -$3,600
WIN Mets over 3.5 1st 5 innings +$3,000
WIN White Sox under 4.5 1st 5 innings +$2,000

3-1
+$8,000 -$3,600 = +$4,400

+$4,400 -$47,625 = -$43,225

-$47,625

Yet again on the brink.

-$43,225

Dodgers 1st 5 innings -$130 $5,200/$4,000
Dodgers 1st 5 innings over 3.5 +$125 $5,000/$4,000
Angels 1st 5 innings over 4 -$120 $4,800/$4,000

Parlay:
Dodgers 1st 5 innings -$130 /Angels 1st 5 innings over 4 -$120 $1,000/$2,243.58

Recap

WIN Dodgers 1st 5 innings +$4,000
LOST Dodgers 1st 5 innings over 3.5
-$5,000
LOST Angels 1st 5 innings over 4 -$4,800

LOST Parlay -$1,000

1-3
+$4,000 -$10,800 = -$6,800

-$6,800 -$43,225 = -$50,025

-$43,225

Dodgers 1st 5 innings -$130 $5,200/$4,000
Dodgers 1st 5 innings over 3.5 +$125 $5,000/$4,000
Angels 1st 5 innings over 4 -$120 $4,800/$4,000

Parlay:
Dodgers 1st 5 innings -$130 /Angels 1st 5 innings over 4 -$120 $1,000/$2,243.58

-$50,025

I have $9,975 left in my budget for the season.

8 Lefties on the hill today

Lester-Cubs
Keuchel-Astros
Moore-Rays
Reed-Reds
Boyd-Tigers
Niese-Pirates
Matz-Mets
Chen-Marlins

Keuchel vs. Reed

Left-hander Dallas Keuchel (3-9, 5.54 ERA) will start for the Astros looking to reverse course on what has been a miserable string of results.
Keuchel is 0-3 with a 5.40 ERA in June. After completing the 2015 schedule undefeated at Minute Maid Park, Keuchel has dropped three consecutive home decisions. His lone home win came against the Tigers on April 15 when he worked eight shutout innings in a 1-0 victory.
Given his recent run, Keuchel could use every advantage he gets, including the exceptional outfield defense the Astros (32-36) provided right-hander Lance McCullers Friday night.
Right fielder George Springer made a fantastic diving catch to rob Reds left fielder Adam Duvall of extra bases to close the sixth inning. With the game tied 2-2 in the ninth, center fielder Carlos Gomez matched Springer with a dazzling running grab to right-center field, snagging a ball off the bat of Reds second baseman Jose Peraza that appeared headed for the wall.
"For a non-fence type catch it's as impressive as you'll see," Astros manager A.J. Hinch said of the Springer catch. "The distance he covered he had no margin for error. He had to go at the perfect angle, he had to launch his body at the perfect time and it's away from his open side so he has to reach across his body."

Reed (6-3, 3.20 ERA with Triple A Louisville) has worked on developing his changeup following a positive showcase with the Reds during spring training. Price anticipates that Reed will stick around as long as he continues to show the measured improvement that followed his acquisition from Kansas City last July through his promotions from Double A to Louisville and now to the Reds

Matz

Steven Matz, meanwhile, will be looking to stop the first losing streak of his career. Matz took the loss in his most recent start Sunday, when he gave up five runs (four earned) over six innings as the Mets fell to the Milwaukee Brewers, 5-3.
"He didn't have a lot of help behind him at times," acting Mets manager Dick Scott said after the game, which he managed because Terry Collins was undergoing tests at a local hospital. "He competes well. He got us through six innings. He didn't have his best stuff, but I thought he did a good job."
In his last three starts, Matz is 0-2 with a 3.78 ERA. He opened his big league career by going 11-1 with a 2.32 ERA in 14 starts dating back to last June.

Lester vs Niese

Niese has pitched to a 2.15 ERA over a six-start span in which he posted five quality starts, but he hit a bump in the road Sunday against St. Louis. The Cardinals dinged the 29-year-old for eight runs and 11 hits in 5 1/3 innings, including a pair of home runs. Niese is 3-7 with a 5.23 ERA in 11 starts against the Cubs, including a 2-2 mark and 4.44 ERA in four outings at Wrigley Field.
Lester has been dominant over his past four starts – all wins – striking out at least seven in all four while allowing just two earned runs over 30 1/3 innings. The 32-year-old has not allowed more than one run in his last three outings and gave up just one unearned run and five hits in seven frames Sunday at Atlanta. Lester is 3-3 with a 1.52 ERA in six starts against the Pirates.

Chen

Wei-Yin Chen, who scored a four-year, $80 million contract from Miami this past offseason.
Chen, though, has yet to deliver the goods for Miami, posting a 4-2 record and a 4.68 ERA. That's the second-worst ERA among Miami's five starting pitchers.
This would represent a career-worst ERA for Chen, who is in his fifth season in the majors. He had a 3.34 ERA last year with the Baltimore Orioles, and that's in the DH league where it's generally tougher to pitch.
Chen, who is allowing 9.4 hits per nine innings, hasn't fooled many batters this season -- just 64 strikeouts in 77 innings.
Saturday's game will be the second of a four-game series. The Marlins won the opener of the series 5-1 on Friday.

-$50,025

Could be last swing of the bat today.

Yankees game -$150 $9,000/$6,000

Parlay : Yankees game -$150 /Yankees under 8.5 -$115 $900/$1,904.34

I only had 200 on the yanks and i will admit I was a little tight there towards the end, glad U got that win
GL tonite

I will join U on Dod late 1st 5 pk

:shake:

-$44,225

I want to wish all the Fathers out here the best day ever

I left myself some breathing room, let's see what happens today

8 Lefties on the mound today

Price-Red Sox
Perez-Red Sox
Finnegan-Reds
Anderson-Rockies
Gonzalez-Nats
Pomeranz-Padres
Rodon-White Sox
Surkamp-A's

Price

After three straight losses, Red Sox left-hander David Price (7-4, 4.52 ERA) is looking to get back into the win column Sunday. He has thrown seven straight quality starts and is 3-3 with a 2.68 ERA during that span.
In his last three starts -- against Toronto, at San Francisco and versus Baltimore -- Price pitched 23 innings, allowing eight runs (seven earned) with 22 strikeouts.
In his last outing, against the Orioles, he went eight innings, allowing three runs with no walks and 11 strikeouts.
"That's the best I've felt with everything that I was throwing in however many starts I've made here, for sure," Price said. "I feel like that was the best stuff I've showcased so far, and I'll continue to get better.
"I'm better than three runs (allowed), I know that. That's what I've done my entire career. Whenever I get eight innings and three runs I'm not going to take that. I'll take my chances and go out there to put up nine zeros. I'm getting there. I know that. This team and this coaching staff has confidence in me and we'll continue to get better."
Price has faced Robinson Cano more than any other Seattle hitter, holding him to a .271 average with a home run, 11 RBIs and seven strikeouts in 70 at-bats.
spacer.gif

Perez

Martin Perez (6-4, 3.38), who snapped a 14-game winless streak on the road Tuesday night with a 10-6 win in Oakland by pitching seven innings, giving up four runs off nine hits.
Perez will be backed up by a resourceful offense that scored all its runs in the last two innings Saturday. None of those runs came on a hit, as the Rangers scored on a wild pitch, an error, a walk and a sacrifice fly.
Second baseman Rougned Odor brings a six-game hitting streak into the series finale, going 2-for-4 on Saturday with an infield hit that started the winning rally in the ninth.
Right fielder Shin-Soo Choo's return to the lineup from an injury has only added to the depth of Texas' attack. Choo reached base three times Saturday, drawing a bases-loaded walk to tie the game in the ninth.
Choo's patient approach fits well with a Ranger team that clearly isn't afraid to pass the baton down to the next man. Texas owns 21 wins in games it has trailed in this year.

Rodon

White Sox will send left-hander Carlos Rodon (2-6, 4.28) to the mound on Sunday as they try to salvage the final game of the series. Rodon appears to match up well with Cleveland. In five career appearances, four of them starts, against the Indians Rodon is 3-0 with a 1.52 ERA.
Whether White Sox outfielder Melky Cabrera plays Sunday remains to be seen. He was removed from Saturday's game in the fourth inning after injuring his wrist while trying to make a diving catch in left field. Ventura said X-rays on the wrist were negative and that Cabrera's status is day-to-day.

Gonzalez vs Pomeranz

Gonzalez allowed three runs and struck out nine over 6 1/3 innings in a no-decision Tuesday against the Cubs and has 19 strikeouts over his past two starts covering 13 1/3 innings. The 30-year-old posted a 1.86 ERA through his first eight starts but has dropped his last four decisions. Jon Jay is 4-for-9 against Gonzalez, who is 2-1 with a 3.38 ERA in four career starts against the Padres, including a rough outing Aug. 26 when he yielded five runs (four earned) over 4 2/3 innings.

Pomeranz is looking to bounce back after allowing five runs with five walks over five innings in a loss to Miami on Tuesday. The 27-year-old has seven quality starts in his 13 outings this season, and his .189 opponents average ranks third among all qualifying National League starters, behind only Clayton Kershaw (.170) and Jake Arrieta (.173). Pomeranz tossed 6 1/3 scoreless innings against Washington on July 6, 2012, when he was pitching for Colorado.

Back