late night discussion NFL playoffs day 1

Edge has been pretty much MIA all season, no?

The only thing I don't like about it is it's an unneeded distraction. He generally shows up to work hard in playoff games, though. But he's realizing what every single one of us said at the time he signed the contract. He needed to enjoy that money because that was the only benefit of signing with Arizona, save maybe the weather.

They've never had the kind of line there that he had in Indy, they still don't and probably never will. The chances of him finding as good a situation as he had in Indy are slim and none. That guy's on a collision course with an expensive bong and an early retirement. I just hope he can afford it.

Think it goes back to the DAL game where Hightower sort of ignited the offense after James couldnt do much then he lost a key fumble @ Carolina and got buried . Guy has run like a man possessed few times he has had the chance past few weeks...he knew what he was doing by making those comments . Like hey NFL I am FA next year watch what I can and will do..

Romo was sacked three times and had to hurry his throw on several other occasions.
“Today I got hit blindside for the first time in awhile,” he said. “But they’re good. Their D-line played an outstanding football game. You’ve got to give them credit. That was, I thought, the difference of the game.”:shake:

Nothing on the current state of Warner's digestive tract, so I'm tempted to say you kind of mailed that one in, but good post nonetheless, SN.

=)

Only thing that bothers me about the Zona win is this f*cking idiot Edge coming out with the "i'm not here to block" shit.

Dude same here.

WTF is Edge thinking? It's like he's trying to become an outcast or something...or frowned upon in the media

It doesn't make sense lol. The good thing is nobody cares what Edge says anymore because he can't carry the ball for more than 10 yards.

I have also had this weird theory in my head that they've just been saving him for the playoffs. Telling him he's washed up without really saying it by playing Hightower so much.

What if dude is just super fresh and runs all over a few teams in these playoffs? Talk about a story....and he IS trying to prove he's not washed up and play somewhere else next year...what better way...

I personally think Edge is too high on a day-to-day basis to be thinking that far in the future, Capt., but I hope you're right. If Arizona suddenly finds a running game tomorrow it's going to be a long day for the Falcons.

No joke though I've been telling all my roommates in Arizona that Edge was going to come out of nowhere and beast in the playoffs.

They laughed though.

Edge + Hightower running up the gut

Arrington on screen passes.

Fitz and Boldin running routes all day?

It could get REAL ugly.

Bed time now guys, look forward to discussing the game before the 430pm kickoff tomorrow :shake:

I have to lean all the road teams. Is that the public side as well? They are all such small favs. The two best I think are Indy and Balty.

I'm also half-waiting for SportsNut to come in here and break down how many sh*ts Kurt Warner takes on a Tuesday during the month of December and how that correlates to the Cardinals' scoring output at home vs. inter-conference opponents.

But that could just be me.

Lol...Brenda keeps Kurt under lock and key . I can tell you he only shits on her command..

kidding of course. I think.:36_11_6::cheers:

Dude same here.

WTF is Edge thinking? It's like he's trying to become an outcast or something...or frowned upon in the media

It doesn't make sense lol. The good thing is nobody cares what Edge says anymore because he can't carry the ball for more than 10 yards.

I have also had this weird theory in my head that they've just been saving him for the playoffs. Telling him he's washed up without really saying it by playing Hightower so much.

What if dude is just super fresh and runs all over a few teams in these playoffs? Talk about a story....and he IS trying to prove he's not washed up and play somewhere else next year...what better way...

Guy doesnt think he is washed up and wants to prove it . Whether he is Jamal Lewis Jr or not , woukd guess watching your team get spanked a few weeks in a row without ever getting a chance sort of festers in your gut . Anyone who can would say watch Edge come in the game @ NE and the first think the broadcasters talk about is how inspired he looked and why the hell wasnt he getting a chance . Then he runs over Seattle which is no great task but Stephen Jackson had what a 160 in ATL last week . The defense isnt a bend dont break its an Either Or defense . You either run the ball all day while the guard against the deep ball in the cover 2 Or you watch them stack the line and complete 65% of your passes . Minnys issues was 7 fumbles and 4 lost ! Look at Ryan's last 2.5 games really the possession before half at TB since then very medicore play ...the weakness is Zona allowing 36 passing TDs so if he isnt accurate or on how do the WR take advantage of that stat ? The Cards offense after the 1st Q had 7 possessions and scored on 6 of them punting ONCE ....

I think Arizona should be -1.5 to -3 here ...so expect them to favored tmrw

Nothing on the current state of Warner's digestive tract, so I'm tempted to say you kind of mailed that one in, but good post nonetheless, SN.

=)

The funny part how natural this stuff just flows out of me . Kinda why I am insomniac the brain doesnt slow down...have the AND THEN syndrome..:shake:

Gonna try and sleep now though

I'm also half-waiting for SportsNut to come in here and break down how many sh*ts Kurt Warner takes on a Tuesday during the month of December and how that correlates to the Cardinals' scoring output at home vs. inter-conference opponents.

But that could just be me.

quote of the year if you ask me,
:36_11_6:

that guy needs to relax and trust his gut and major info instead of looking at 700 variables and confusing himself.

Oh, and he isn't the most accurate passer. Chad Pennington is, believe it or not. :)

Kurtis Eugene "Kurt" Warner (born June 22, 1971 in Burlington, Iowa) is an American football quarterback who plays for the Arizona Cardinals of the National Football League. He was originally signed by the Green Bay Packers as an undrafted free agent in 1994. He played collegiately at Northern Iowa.
Warner is best known for his highly successful stint with the St. Louis Rams from 1998-2003, where he won two NFL MVP awards in 1999 and 2001<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-0>[1]</SUP>, as well as the Super Bowl MVP award in Super Bowl XXXIV.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-1>[2]</SUP> Behind Steve Young and Peyton Manning, Warner is ranked third all-time in career passing rating with a 93.8 (min. 1500 attempts)<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-2>[3]</SUP> He is also the second-most statistically accurate quarterback in NFL history behind Chad Pennington, with a career completion percentage of 65.7% <SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-3>[4]</SUP>
<SUP></SUP>
<SUP>Just remember that most of that was when he played for St. Louis Rams. And half the time he would just throw it up , deep, for grabs, cause he knew Moss or Rice would come down with it. Those 2 were the ones that made Warner great. </SUP>

Gents (and degenerates)...when Mike Vick went into snowy Lambeau back in 2002 (I'm thinking) wasn't that his first full year (perhaps not a rookie) when they handled GB 27-17 or 27-7? That game stands out a bit in my mind considering the conditions for a dome team and young QB at the time.

sorry guys...I know this is the niffel, but I just saw something.
I'm not very familiar with Buffalo (cfb)...looks like this season they have NEVER failed to cover spread as a DOG.....is this correct???

Yes , it is true 7-0 ATS. Think its sort of weak though cause 2 best teams they played were solid teams like @ Pitt who started slow and they covered +13 losing by 11 and Ball State in the Champ game again 14 pt dogs but allowed 500 yards but used 5 turnovers and late onside kick to score 35 of their points . Well and @ Missouri but they were 31 pt dogs and score some points early and Missouri was inefficient wasting scoring chances and won by 20 pts.

Other times they played mid level MAC programs and were essentially small favs like +1 to +3 . Teams that were not very solid though overall . Bowl Green , Akron and Miami Ohio the 1st two in OT and won @ Ohio as well ....

So a team who their division was NEVER road chalk in conference ..:shake:

Gents (and degenerates)...when Mike Vick went into snowy Lambeau back in 2002 (I'm thinking) wasn't that his first full year (perhaps not a rookie) when they handled GB 27-17 or 27-7? That game stands out a bit in my mind considering the conditions for a dome team and young QB at the time.

Think true rookies are 2-6 in the playoffs as rookies and Shaun King with TB and *** Ben with Pitt where the guys who went 1-1 and 4 others lost ....

Big Ben and Shaun King had elite defenses backing them . Which is the difference maker IMO:shake:

it usally comes down to the they are who we thought they were--

In this case zona or atl will revert back to their true identity

Edge + Hightower running up the gut

Arrington on screen passes.

Fitz and Boldin running routes all day?

It could get REAL ugly.

Bed time now guys, look forward to discussing the game before the 430pm kickoff tomorrow :shake:

I knew I would find it. So your really thinking they were faking all year and not running just to set it up their playoff games. I HIGHLY doubt that one. If the Cards get a big lead the Falcons can get back in it since the Cards have ZERO running game. If they play from behind Warner will press and look like Chase Daniel earlier this week. Expect alot of jump balls in this game and last I checked Falcons are tougher and can jump higher than pesky little Cardinals.

Arizona cant run the ball period. The discussion can be ended right there.

Disagree, Edge James can do enough . Can they run it well ? Probably not but ATL sells out on defense they are going to let Edge try and beat them.

Edge
@ SF 26 c 100yds - last drive 8c 26yds so 18c 74 yds before that. Zona had a TD lead and chewed up like 9,10 minutes just handing the ball off and get 3 yards a carry. SF ended up allowing 3.8 YPC about 13th in the NFL

vs Miami 18c 55 yds - really didnt get Edge involved early omly 2 1st runs and think just 5 1st H runs .. Phins solid DL was 10th in yards allowed but did allow a suprising 4.2 YPC but NE twice and Den could have played a role

@ Wash 18c 93 yds - they allow 3.8 YPC and 8th in yds allowed on the ground. He got involved early and his 1st 4c for 25 yds and 5c 25 yds on the 1st. he did fumble on a 5 yd catch setting up a Wash score and had 7 yd ,3 yd , 12 , 3 ,3 after that as Zona didnt have the ball much and last drive went heavy on the pass. So impressive 10c 53yds and 2 R 15yds but the bad fumble ..in the 1st H ...After half 3,8,6,3,1 on the initial ARI 2nd H drive , then they dont run it until the 4th Q with him -3 , 16 and 6 when they did....think it shows how important establishing the run and sticking to it somewhat can be for them ..did it at SF it worked , did not vs Miami and had a big lead regardless early then did @ Wash..

@NYJ 9c 29yds - Jets are 7th vs the run tied with tenny allowing 3.7 YPC and early on were really tough when Jenkins was a beast , fell behind big in the 2nd Q uhm 34-0 that period ! , jets earned 14 on offense with 2 nice drives but also were handed 20pts off turnovers ..Zona fumbles inside the jet 30 on the opening drive and then after an INT starting at NYJ 19 go backwards and miss the FG ...so while NY had run 6 plays ARI missed on 6 to 14points in a scoreless game and not suprising next drive after the missed FG the jets started the offense up getting the 1st TD. Zona after the 1st Q had 4 more 2nd Quarter turnovers basically producing 6 with the 1st Q fumble then missed FG in 7possessions and yet respond in the 2nd H with 5 straight TDs , another fumble and time runs out when ZOna is inside th Jet 10 yd line ..1st drive run 12 plays and Edge get 2 carries for 2 then 3 yds . SOmehow Zona turns a 1st goal at the 9 into a 3rd and goal at the 32 ! Then Boldin gains a few yards and fumbles ...then 1st and 10 a the the Jet 16 edge gets 7yds then a 1 yd and on 3rd and 2 incomplete and holing penalty ...FG blocked ..NYJ scores down 6-0 after missed PAT , Edge 2yds then none and then pick 6 TD by Warner , so 1st G just 6 carries and 15 yards ..1st drive after the half 8 yds , 4yd TD run and then 2yd TD run and his day was over ..cant say he was ineffective getting 2 TDs from 4 and 2 yds on the 1st sho plus 8 and 7 yd carries in a whole 9attempts...decent performance

Buff 21c 57 yds-22nd vs the run in yds allowing 4.3 ypc again the NE factor though , Edge 13 yds , 1 , 2 , 0 , 0 . What stands out besides the low yardage ? Ari on 1st down ran the 1 , 2 , 0 , 0 carries on 2nd and 10 they got the 13 . Again just shows undedicated Zona is to the run . Its like okay mandatory 1st down handoff where they mine as well tap the defense on teh shoulder and tell them the exact play . Would guess the amount of runs on 1st downs is so crazy lopsided and every team knows it cause i sure noticed looking at the game logs. next series he gets goes for 4yds on 2nd and 10 , then 15 yd 1st down run , capped by 1yd TD run ... so 8c 36yds and was 7 for 35 before the TD plunge but unbalanced runs , 2nd H back to running on 1st downs again Mr.Obvious OC ...Edge -3 , no yards and 1st and goal at the 5 he gets 3 yds.., then 1st and 15 he gets 3 , 4 ,2 ,3,3, 0,5,-1(on 4th and 2 ) ..again just obvious running situations and no suprise they didnt run it ..

Dal 9c 29yds--1st H Zona 19plays amd 51 yds TOTAL offense !
9 , -1 , 4 , 2 , 4 in the 1st Q 5c 18yds then 2nd Q 1c 1yd then 3rd Q 3, 8 ,3 so he looks like he ran okay as well IMO with such few carries 1 or 2 bad ones kills the avg just like 1 or 2 long ones would inflate it ..

Sea 14c 100yds- this and NE he ran with passion and pride IMO the only Card who showed any @ NE ...

So besides facing some solid and better defenses think ARI has a flaw in calling obvious run plays . When they could easily pass to set up the run instead of just hadning it off on 1st down when the defense expects it and you show a serious pattern of running it in comparision to other downs .....SO playcalling for one and also run blocking may suffer when your run blocking 3 or 4 times a Quarter week after week there is no groove to find....

If ATL does what they have done often choosen the lesser of 2 evils for the opposing offense to beat them . Then with a COver 2 defense and dropping it back plus shadowing a safety on Fitz , Edge will have room to run if they mix it up will and start early with the run..

Guess in a reflection of what the NFL has to offer Edge probably still rates as a top 20 back IMO ..definetly better then Jamal Lewis or Thomas Jones still IMO ...and they guy had decent hands but costly fumbles @ Wash and @ Carolina hurt him...

Also lets be honest the coaching staff doesnt like Edge either IMO at this point and he feels the same way . Just pointing out and not taking a side on it . That is always great motivation and coaches have the leeway of saying here is your chance prove Edge prove me or us wrong . If Edge plays well Wisenhunt gets the credit and if he plays poorly Edge is old and gets the blame . No lose situation for ZOna IMO.....

Opportunity is there to run the ball EFFECTIVELY . ATlanta allows 4.9 YPC on the ground this year and that is tied for 4th worst with STL but also are 5th in runs allowed over 20 yds with 16 . Think they had 3 fumbles vs Minny on running plays which was half of the 6 they recovered all season.

The difference is SEASONS is simple. Atlanta has not committed turnovers and Arizona had like 30 but usually in bunches vs the better teams ...cant have that today and ATL won 3 games with 3 turnovers which is "lucky" in the game of football...cause its hard to overcome that momentum shift 3 times in 4 quarters..:shake:

Back