late night discussion NFL playoffs day 1

Ya it's funny, but it could damn well happen if they get past Carolina....something I don't think a lot of us see as being impossible, especially with the way that secondary has looked as of late.

It'd just come down to the NFC Championship, I guess you think the Falcons have a better shot though.

Steelers win 31-10 in that matchup BTW, it wouldn't even be close.

Well they wouldn't go on the road against Philly or Minnesota right? I think they could get lucky vs. Giants, it'll just be cold and Giants just have too many issues, they'd be due for that upset.

I agree they couldn't win in Philly, or probably even Minnesota though...

You are right, PHI would play in AZ if they matched up. If they played MN, it would be in the NFC Championship game in Minny. However, consider the recent eggs the vikes have laid in games to go to the super bowl. 1998 still stings. I was there for that one. :hang:

What about Boldin???

He has been working out but not playing in games, but he will be all of a sudden a superstar tomorrow?

Surely these teams are very similar. Atlanta gets the edge due to the running game!

Actually, I should revise what Sammy will be saying in the in-game tomorrow

It'll probably look something like this,

shit abraham isn't close to 100%. its clear or else warner would be on his ass all day. instead he's had time to pick apart this weak falcons secondary. brooking hasn't been seen yet today because arizona hasn't rushed the ball yet. shit. good thing I hedged on Arizona live in-game betting -6.5 early on.

the better teams without a doubt are atl and indy---

solid teams near end of season-- pron 2 of the better qb's ---

and that is why they were favored- they are better teams, now line has more value bigtime for falcons and indy

What about Boldin???

He has been working out but not playing in games, but he will be all of a sudden a superstar tomorrow?

Surely these teams are very similar. Atlanta gets the edge due to the running game!

Boldins game is based around physicality. The perfect compliment to a great route running and catching receiver in Fitzgerald.

You get Boldin the ball on short 10 yard patterns, the perfect throw for Warner...3 steps - 5 steps and bang, quick - accurate pass.

Then Boldin runs 5-10 yards with the ball because he is simply bigger than any CB or Safety in the NFL. You remember that old commercial "It takes Five?" It was actually about Anquan Boldin and how many CB's it takes to tackle him after the catch.

Yes these teams are both similar, you give Arizona the advantage because they are sick at home.

You are right, PHI would play in AZ if they matched up. If they played MN, it would be in the NFC Championship game in Minny. However, consider the recent eggs the vikes have laid in games to go to the super bowl. 1998 still stings. I was there for that one. :hang:

Ya and that dome really kills any home field advantage the Vikings could have if they were outside.

Just allows fast teams to stay fast....

What about Boldin???

bOLDIN wont do anything vs atl- atl has young fast db's--- boldin is slow and fat- he is possession strong receiver- good teams get in his face and he is really nothing special--

larry fitz is good, but he is soft and can be eliminated by a physical DB-

vs the 9'ers Nate Clements said he was so physical with Fitzgerald on the line that he could see that Fitx didnt want to get hit anymore and didnt want to run any patterns vs him.

Clements isn't on Atlanta.

Either is Champ Bailey or Nhamdi Asomougha. Two guys that could probably out-physical Fitz, yes.

I have no idea what youre talking about with Boldin though, he runs short 10 yard routes all day. There is nobody in that 2ndary sans Lawyer Milloy that can match his physical-ness.

I'm very ready for the start of this in-game tomorrow now. I think I'll stay home for the 1st game just so I can enjoy it.

Darnell Dockett clogging the middle is also big with the LB play the Cardinals have got this year.

Lets not forget how strong Dominique Rodgers Cromartie has looked at the end of the year...they can throw him in so many slots too...#2 corner, #3 corner, next to Rolle, etc.

I'm not hyped on the Arizona D, but they should have enough energy from the crowd to get a few early stops...which is what I'm banking on early in the game...I just expect a fast start from Arizona

If not, we might get that shootout Joe P wants late...

the game is really simple to me-

Zona is a Conference USA college team-- same as a Memphis or ECU--

Atl is like a Sec or good pac 10 team-- like an OLE MISS or lets say Vtech team-

the conference USA team beats up on shit teams and has decent offensive players who dominate weaker players-

the CUSA team never beats a good solid team from the SEC or PAC 10--

same reason why ECU today could not beat Kentucky-- I saw fear in the eyes of ECU- they were tied late with the ball and I saw the QB and the running back had that look like fuck here comes Kentucky please take the ball, i dont want it, let me fumble, please get me outta here they are too strong for us-- They break thier will to win-

Zona's will to win has been broken so many times, even the 9'ers on that prime time monday night should have beat them on that last play- that was a 3rd string qb who never played--

newsflash- warner also said he hates playing in prime time or in any game not on sunday- he says it kills his routine- look at him in prime time he sucks shit, on any special game- he said he is a sunday player and hates playing anwyere else-

the game is mental now, the old warner is gone my friends from the rams, this warner is not the same warner and this cards team is complete shit as a unit-

And also the fact that Arizona can come back from 14-21 down

Arizona gets up 21 on Atlanta and its over...no way Atlanta scores 21 unanswered...they might get a sniff within 7 or so, but Zona is good for a FG or two every quarter at least...

OK then Sammy,

UConn (a Big East team) beats Buffalo (a MAC team) by 28+ tomorrow then.

Thats good for me though, cause I took UConn -6.5

Youre thoughts are smart/good and all. Then we remember we're talking about the NFL Playoffs.

Not a damn bowl game. A bowl game is a vacation. A playoff game is a dream.

People aren't talking about Zona's home field advantage enough...

Those Zona fans have never been to a playoff game b4 they will not know what to do...

First home playoff game ever in the city and they barely sell it out...

Not much of a home field advantage.

:36_11_6:

And also the fact that Arizona can come back from 14-21 down

Arizona gets up 21 on Atlanta and its over...no way Atlanta scores 21 unanswered...they might get a sniff within 7 or so, but Zona is good for a FG or two every quarter at least...

okay cap you realize you are saying zona gets up on perhaps the best opening drive team in the NFL?

do you know how good atl is at the start of games, i believe they may be the best in the NFL--

Zona is always down 21 to good teams--

so are you telling me they will do a complete reversal tomorrow and zona is up 21-0??

atl does not turnover the ball, they run it, you cant blow them out--

same as TECH today- people envision these 21-0 leads with shitty ass temas like tech and zona, they dont get up on anyone 21-0 but when you have flashy receivers everyone will bet them anyway

Yeah....

They'll forget how to cheer.

Don't forget these people get to watch the best bowl games every year in that stadium. Hell, they get the Super Bowl too.

It's about time the hometown team makes the playoffs.

I'm sure they'll forget how to cheer.

Maybe Minnesota fans will be too cold to cheer. Maybe those final tickets sold will be sold to deaf mute kids in wheelchairs. No clapping in the Dome Sunday.

Hey, hey, some of us are on the Buffalo ML there, thank you very much.

There actually is something to the HFA tomorrow. When they want to those fans can get pretty loud.

That said, they were struggling to sell that place out tomorrow so . . .

Stop comparing NCAA Football teams to NFL teams. There are no NCAA players on NFL teams. Only NFL players.

God forbid some lurker reads your post and gets giddy all over himself about Arizona having College Players and Atlanta having Pro Players.

OK then Sammy,

Youre thoughts are smart/good and all. Then we remember we're talking about the NFL Playoffs.

Not a damn bowl game. A bowl game is a vacation. A playoff game is a dream.

uconn lost 5 of 7 games and are -6.5????

buffalo is pumped to be there, line should be pick--

i know bufalo has all the fans and they willdie for their coach, they love him, i think they can win outright--

uconn is overrated, that is a close game 3 to 4point win, line is off 6 points

There actually is something to the HFA tomorrow. When they want to those fans can get pretty loud.

That said, they were struggling to sell that place out tomorrow so . . .

Like I said those people that bought the final tickets won't know how to cheer. They clearly bought them to just observe the sport of football and see what all the fuss is about.

That was what, 3000 tickets they couldn't sell? Thats like the entire 214 section. Guaranteed it's dead in there.

I'm also half-waiting for SportsNut to come in here and break down how many sh*ts Kurt Warner takes on a Tuesday during the month of December and how that correlates to the Cardinals' scoring output at home vs. inter-conference opponents.

But that could just be me.

Home field advantage comes from knowing how and when to cheer. That my friend comes from experience...

I'm also half-waiting for SportsNut to come in here and break down how many sh*ts Kurt Warner takes on a Tuesday during the month of December and how that correlates to the Cardinals' scoring output at home vs. inter-conference opponents.

laugh.gif

i'm also half-waiting for sportsnut to come in here and break down how many sh*ts kurt warner takes on a tuesday during the month of december and how that correlates to the cardinals' scoring output at home vs. Inter-conference opponents.

:36_11_6::36_11_6::36_11_6:

sorry guys...I know this is the niffel, but I just saw something.
I'm not very familiar with Buffalo (cfb)...looks like this season they have NEVER failed to cover spread as a DOG.....is this correct???

zona does have noting to lose tomorrow so no pressure at all--

also i may be all over zona tomorrow in live betting---

i can make a quick decision based on probabilities and make a good bet-

i dont give a shit about any teams or any matchups, all i know if zona is going to win tomorrow i will be on that side somehow, i will make it happen at halftime or live betting or qtr betting--

I love these late night discussions because they help me sleep like a baby until 12pm, when the first batch of games start.

I hate waking up at 9am and having to wait 3 hours for a game to start...

Oh how I love when I'm on the West Coast....

sorry guys...I know this is the niffel, but I just saw something.
I'm not very familiar with Buffalo (cfb)...looks like this season they have NEVER failed to cover spread as a DOG.....is this correct???

they are stoked to be playing there and willl have more fans, however they are bad vs the run really bad apparently--

uconn has a good running back brown one of the best--

so peopl think uconn will run all over buffalo in this game and its a bad matchup for buffalo?

not sure myself but again I will be on the winner somehow i will find a way to get on the right side.

I cann't see how Warner wouldn't lit up the Falcons secondary. Only thing they should do is to put a RB/TE on Abraham to help the left tackle.

He is not great at all in pass coverage, Zona could lit him up with Breaston. (or Urban)

Ya the only thing is that Milloy plays close to the line a lot of the time...which hurts a guy like Boldin who relies on being the bigger guy all the time...

I hope Milloy plays at only 75% tomorrow, you're definitely right that they could light him up if he's not using his one + tool (physicality) due to an injury..

they are stoked to be playing there and willl have more fans, however they are bad vs the run really bad apparently--

uconn has a good running back brown one of the best--

so peopl think uconn will run all over buffalo in this game and its a bad matchup for buffalo?

not sure myself but again I will be on the winner somehow i will find a way to get on the right side.

Lets not also forget just a few years ago UConn was in 1-AA.

Motivation will not be a factor for either of these teams.

I'm going with UConn because of the rushing advantage, yes. Brown will get 200 yards with ease, and I think that will be the deciding factor. Big game for both teams, Buffalo could choke nasty.

Nothing I feel strong about either way, just like UConn at under 7. Would Buffalo even be in a bowl game if they lost to Ball State?

Plus there's that weird wacky theory that African American coaches can't win 100% of the bowl games in a given season and if Turner Gill won they'd be 100%?

But don't shoot the messenger, this theory is widely known in Costa Rica...

Only thing that bothers me about the Zona win is this f*cking idiot Edge coming out with the "i'm not here to block" shit.

Edge has been pretty much MIA all season, no?

The only thing I don't like about it is it's an unneeded distraction. He generally shows up to work hard in playoff games, though. But he's realizing what every single one of us said at the time he signed the contract. He needed to enjoy that money because that was the only benefit of signing with Arizona, save maybe the weather.

They've never had the kind of line there that he had in Indy, they still don't and probably never will. The chances of him finding as good a situation as he had in Indy are slim and none. That guy's on a collision course with an expensive bong and an early retirement. I just hope he can afford it.

The key with Arizona is getting Boldin back 100% healthy , giving Edge James the rock and he continus to run like a man possessed or trying to prove something hearing his he wont be back comments. Everyone saw he how hard he ran vs NE in a blowout except the Zona staff . So those 2 players make the offense more likethe reputation it has . The other is postseason experience of 37 yr old QB Warner who excels when blitzed , Edge James and Coach Wisenhunt ..ATL 1st year QB and Coach ...plus ZOna hosting 1st playoff game since like WW II !! ATL defense ? Abraham will play but questionable , Milloy missed last week with a back injury (that he struggled to tie his shoes that week) and Jamal Anderson appears doubtful...Also did ZONA reclaim momentum vs SEATTLE in the 2nd H ?? I kinda think they did if they didnt it would be a terrible season. To many expected ARI to just show up and play well but looks like it took some work and came together in the 2ndH especially when Fitz started getting the ball.

Some tidbits that were cut and pasted..the bold are most interesting to me

-Arizona played six of the NFL's top nine rushing teams this season and lost each time. My take is that lets look at the 6 games indivually. I would assume @ NE , Minny , NYG , @ Wash and @ Carolina , an @ Jets . So 4 road games we dont even need to look at that closely and the 2 home games . The Falcons are not the Giants and the game was fairly competitive and the Vikings game was turnover realted more then anything . Berrian got on the board with a punt return then they scored after a turnover . ATL is not either of those defenses and with Harry Douglas questionable the kick game loses alot of luster .

-When Atlanta has scored first this season, it is 11-0. When its opponent scores first, Atlanta is 0-5. Kinda of interesting because 1st year coach , rookie Qb and general young offense in its 1st playoff game. Might be a good omen if Zona scores 1st but really doesnt mean much of anything ...Playing a SB QB and RB in Zona plus Wisenhunt ..

-The Cardinals have committed 30 turnovers this season with QB Kurt Warner accounting for 25 of them (14 interceptions and 11 fumbles). In the past seven games, the Cards have committed 16 turnovers and opponents have scored 10 touchdowns as a result. In the last 7 games who have they faced ? @ Philly , @ NE in snow , Minny and NYG plus STL and SEA twice ...look at the 1st 4 teams and well thats tough defenses and tough venues..kinda have to overlook it some IMO

-No defense in the playoffs has fewer takeaways than Atlanta's (18). Now this is saying on paper a turnover prone team is catching a break as ATL has not forced many turnovers or recovered them..which could mean dropped INT's or not grabbing a loose ball at a key moment .

-The Arizona defense allowed a league-high 36 touchdown passes. Terrible but they faced some tough scheduling IMO oustide of the division they didnt have many easy games ..of interest is how well Zona played @ Carolina . They kinda fell apart in the 2nd H when Carolina needed a WIN but generally for a poor road team they showed well . Which remember how well the NFC South did at home all season ...27-5 and TB lost its last 2 home games and NO lost to Car by 2 points in the final week for 3 of those 5 losses , ATL lost to Denver and NO to Minny ..and Carolina was 8-0......

-Arizona is 6-2 at home this season, averaging 30.3 points per game, and 12-4 at home under second-year coach Ken Whisenhunt. The Falcons are 4-4 on the road this season and scored more than 24 points just twice away from the Georgia Dome.
I think Zona does have a decent home field edge as their defense and ST seem to play better and the offense executes well early . ATL is young and seeing that the conference doesnt lose at home 4-4 is solid...

Notes:

ATL has won 3 games down the STRETCH despite losing 3 turnovers a game in them..@ SD , TB , STL. Matt Ryan has 6 INTs last 5 games including 2 at home vs STL this could be a red caution flag. He only had 5 in the 1st 11 games ..

49—Yards given up by the Falcons punt coverage unit, a new league record.

8—QB Matt Ryan is 8-0 when he leads the Falcons in for a score on their opening drive of the game.

So Zona played 6 of the Top 9 rushing teams and lost all 6 which 4 were away . What do they allow rushing yardage wise? How bout 4 YPC and 110 yds pergame at home its 3.9 YPC and 105 yds . Pretty solid considering the opponents and the game @ NE where they looked terrible and couldnt tackle anyone ...also ZOna one of 6 teams to recover DD fumbles on running plays.

Travel for ATL on the short week but also since Thanksgiving in Philly the Cards have had to travel only to NE in the snow . While that weekend ATL went cross country to SD , then to NO , home for TB , out to Minny , home for STL and now out in Zona...

CB Chris Houston at 5'11 will cover Larry Fitzgerald who is 6'3 and loves the jump ball.

While its just precautionary mainly the Falcons had 5 key defenders listed on the injury report : Abraham , Anderson , Milloy , Grady Jackson and Curtis Lofton , plus Harry DOuglas KR/WR ...

Warner 1st playoff game since 2001 Super Bowl , ZOna 1st playoff game since 1998 and 1st home playoff game since 1947.

Economy woes are surfacing IMO . Thats why Zona and Minny are struggling IMO to sellout .

Cards KNOW they are UNDERDOGS :
The Cardinals are two to three-point underdogs against the Falcons. “I’m fine with being an underdog,” Whisenhunt said. “I’m fine with people thinking we don’t have a chance.”

It doesn’t surprise strong safety Adrian Wilson that the Cardinals aren’t favored, even though they are playing at home.

“We’re the Cardinals, man, nobody gives us respect,” he said. “It’s always something with this team. That’s what you hear in the media. It’s always somebody saying something. We’re underdogs. That’s fine. I know we play well at home. It’s going to be a tough game and we’re going to be ready to play.”

Wilson doesn’t need the underdog role to find motivation. “You’re asking the wrong one for motivation,” he said. “To me, the game can’t come fast enough.”

- The forgotten man is the KEY here . Edge james COULD have plenty of room to run with the Cover 2 scheme guarding against the deep pass . Which is Curtis Lofton' job to deal with Edge and he is on the injury report as well ...

- The ATL key could be Roddy White and Michael Jenkins facing a defense which allowed 36 passing TDs . Rod Hood has been targeted lately and expect that to continue . Ryan missed jenkins a bunch of times last week and finished just 10/21 160 yds ..Ryan @ Minny 13/24 134 yds TD not ovrly impressive . Last year White had a huge day @ Zona as did Boldin and Warner ...granted ATL was using Redman and terrible ..

ATL defense has really struggled the past 2 weeks IMO. They sold out to stop AP @ Minny and force Tavaris to beat them. Well AP 22c 76yds was held in check but Jackson himself had 8 carries for 76 yds and 22/36 233 yds 2 TDs 0 INTs.

The way I see it ARIZONA has the intangible edges here :
-Home Field
-Veteran team loaded with star players
-Experienced Coaching Staff vs 1st year coach
-Better health coming in especially on defense
-Underdog status in PrimeTime(okay midafternoon)

What scares me is that Zona is 5-5 L10 beating STL and SEA twice and SF on MNF . However I go back to the BYE WEEK when before that Edge was the main rusher . They ran the ball okay played well @ Wash and won @ SF , beat Dallas , Miami and Buffalo at home with just a terrible 1st H @ NYJ. I think the Boldin injuries and going to Hightower hurt the offense and they played some good teams and good defenses that gave them trouble

On Zona +1 , 1st H and 1st Quarter ......GL

Back