Kevin Steele new LSU DC

Ill put it this way. Clemson is a small school without the budget of some of the bigger schools because we have a much smaller alumni base. Until recent years we had a hard time being competitive when it came to coaches salaries. We were competitive within the ACC but not with Bama, Auburn, UGA, LSU, tOSU, etc. Steele left Alabama as co-DC to come to Clemson to be the DC. Im not sure if he got a pay raise but lets just say Saban didnt exactly make a big push to keep him. Dabo cut him loose after that WVU debacle and supposedly he had a mid-game mental breakdown but thats really just message board heresy. Then our next DC came to us the same way but we kinda jackpotted the Venables thing

My point is that he is a guy that Saban let walk and Dabo fired. I think LSU could have done much better

Steele had two stints at Alabama with Saban. Part of 0 NCs

My point is that he is a guy that Saban let walk and Dabo fired. I think LSU could have done much better
Agree. Not a big splash at all. Fucking LBs at Bama were kinda the problem too....

I will reserve judgement but obv a step down from Chief. The moron has to go....I just hope he is digging his own grave faster now.

Can this dude recruit gps?

Agree. Not a big splash at all. Fucking LBs at Bama were kinda the problem too....

I will reserve judgement but obv a step down from Chief. The moron has to go....I just hope he is digging his own grave faster now.

Can this dude recruit gps?

Steele can definitely recruit. Word is that he's a huge asshole and tough to get along with (other staff, not players). Heard he and Kirby nearly came to blows in New Orleans. No idea if true.

still so much to do this yr recruiting wise maybe they can pull some late magic

2016 is the gold tho...

I know you guys have been really upset about this hire for the most part - but I wanted to tell you all that losing Kevin Steele to LSU is not what anyone wanted to see happen - regardless of what any Bama fan tells you. I think most were anticipating him moving back into the DC role once Kirby found a head coaching gig.

In 2007, Steele led the least talented Bama team in 40 years to a fairly decent year. We ranked in the top half of the SEC on defense in every major statistical category. We were 3rd in the SEC for TFL, 5th in sacks, 6th in total defense, 4th in scoring defense, 4th in rushing defense, 3rd in INTs, etc... That was a team that lost to ULM and would be the first Bama team since 1971 to not have a single player drafted. Pretty good stuff.

Contrary to what has been posted here - Kevin Steele was not demoted to a position coach following the 2007 season. He was promoted to Associate Head Coach and "Head Coach of the Defense". Kirby Smart was given a promotion to "Co-Defensive Coordinator".

In 2008, Alabama's defense started becoming what it's been known for recently. We ranked 3rd in the conference in Pass efficiency defense, 4th in fumbles recovered, 1st in rush defense, 2nd in scoring defense (avg 14 pts/gm), 1st in total defense, etc... All top 10 rankings nationally.

I'm not sure what went down while he was at Clemson. Based on what I've seen, he really only had one bad year. It's obvious that Coach Saban thinks a whole lot of the man to hire him twice. The 2nd time he hired him he basically created a position for him just to have him on staff.

As far as recruiting goes - I'm not sure there's another defensive coordinator in America that is better at recruiting. Combine his recruiting strengths with Coach O and Les Miles on the same staff - all recruiting in the loaded state of Louisiana - and LSU will no doubt be absolutely STACKED for years to come.

I think you will all be pleasantly surprised at what Steele will do with an already extremely talented roster.

that's from a Bama fan on our boards

Its also not true. Steele, Thompson, and 1 or 2 others were told to start looking for jobs. Like I said earlier, more to do with personalities/egos than anything else. Steele was never going to be DC.

The good news for LSU fans is that they likely wont have to play a triple option team. Steele never had a clue how to stop Paul Johnson's offense

Back