Kentucky Derby Thread

Gorgolon Lives

The Reverend of CTG
I'm betting the derby tomorrow. I don't know much about horses, but I'll devote this thread to some discussion throughout the day. First topic that needs to be addressed is the weather for tomorrow.

Post thoughts/plays/whatever.

My main goal is to narrow the field. I'm going to eliminate every horse who runs for speed. They are:

Musket Man
Advice
Papa Clem
Regal Ransom
Join in the Dance

Is Saez the jockey who rode that horse to death last year? Could be a nice story to go from tragedy to victory one year later..

My main goal is to narrow the field. I'm going to eliminate every horse who runs for speed. They are:

Musket Man
Advice
Papa Clem
Regal Ransom

What about Friesen Fire?

Personally I am on Pioneerof The Nile. I got him at 8-1 in Vegas back before he won the Santa Anita Derby.

Musket Man
Advice
Papa Clem
Regal Ransom
Join in the Dance

I liked reading some touts reasoning on eliminating Pioneer of the Nile based on minimal dirt experience...

I'm taking fliers on RR, Hold Me Back, and Chocolate Candy. Just going with my gut though. Friesan Fire seems to be the smart money.

yah race 6. played a 2,3,6 ex box. shoulda had the exacta. prado got the roundhouse going too late. really pissed i passed on the 6 to win there. kk with a terrible trip. onto race 7....

So I narrowed the field:

#1 WEST SIDE BERNIE
#3 MR HOT STUFF
#5 HOLD ME BACK
#6 FRIESAN FIRE*
#8 MINE THAT BIRD
#12 GENERAL QUARTERS
#14 ATOMIC RAIN
#15 DUNKIRK
#16 PIONEEROF THE NILE
#17 SUMMER BIRD
#18 NOWHERE TO HIDE
#19 DESERT PARTY
#20 FLYING PRIVATE

I'm also going to eliminate Chocolate Candy who has never raced on dirt.

:shake:

Pretty big move on chocolate candy and not too many people are understanding why. Down to 8:1....

Went with friesan fire. No wind or sun and its very unlikely the track will be dry by race time. Advantage FF.

:shake:

Pretty big move on chocolate candy and not too many people are understanding why. Down to 8:1....

Went with friesan fire. No wind or sun and its very unlikely the track will be dry by race time. Advantage FF.

Yea, I really am monitoring this. It's funny...It the track is sloppy, FF is in my Tri. If it's fine, he's not.

#1 west side bernie
#5 hold me back
#6 friesan fire*
#8 mine that bird
#12 general quarters
#14 atomic rain
#15 dunkirk
#18 nowhere to hide
#19 desert party
#20 flying private

So I narrowed the field:

#1 WEST SIDE BERNIE
#3 MR HOT STUFF
#5 HOLD ME BACK
#6 FRIESAN FIRE*
#8 MINE THAT BIRD
#12 GENERAL QUARTERS
#14 ATOMIC RAIN
#15 DUNKIRK
#16 PIONEEROF THE NILE
#17 SUMMER BIRD
#18 NOWHERE TO HIDE
#19 DESERT PARTY
#20 FLYING PRIVATE

right now have it down to

5-hold me back
6- friesan fire
15- dunkirk (my fav., now that i want revenge is out)
17- summer bird
19- desert party

will look it over before the race, but thats what im looking at for now...

right now have it down to

5-hold me back
6- friesan fire
15- dunkirk (my fav., now that i want revenge is out)
17- summer bird
19- desert party

will look it over before the race, but thats what im looking at for now...

it's great to narrow down the field. Then you can just throw your top 5 into a bunch of different bets.

saw this on another forum. dunno how accurate it is, but seems legit.

decided to take a flyer on nowhere to hide for $10 @ 50:1.
if it loses well ive spent $10 on worse things.

Daily Racing Form's computerized Tomlinson Ratings, which rate a horse's ability to run well on a wet track based on its pedigree (the higher the number the better the grade).

Nowhere to Hide 480
Friesan Fire 447
General Quarters 445
Dunkirk 427
Join in the Dance 422
Flying Private 420
Mr. Hot Stuff 408
Desert Party 405
Hold Me Back 404

saw this on another forum. dunno how accurate it is, but seems legit.

decided to take a flyer on nowhere to hide for $10 @ 50:1.
if it loses well ive spent $10 on worse things.

Daily Racing Form's computerized Tomlinson Ratings, which rate a horse's ability to run well on a wet track based on its pedigree (the higher the number the better the grade).

Nowhere to Hide 480
Friesan Fire 447
General Quarters 445
Dunkirk 427
Join in the Dance 422
Flying Private 420
Mr. Hot Stuff 408
Desert Party 405
Hold Me Back 404

Interesting...Im gonna look this up. Is the track still bad ?

i dont like the british guy

I'm on the other side of that. I like him. I didn't like the NBC guy they had forever.

for the derby , as far as strategy goes is it profitable or smart to play more or less exacta boxes?

like should i just pick out a few horses and play 2 or 3 ex boxes, or spread i around it pick out a number of different combos of horses and play around 5-6 of them? whats the best way to do that?

I'm scratching Flying Private due to a poor last outing. He finished 5th with a few other derby horses in the field. Also, the poor post position only adds to his downfall. So I narrowed my list to 9 horses:

#1 west side bernie
#5 hold me back
#6 friesan fire*
#8 mine that bird
#12 general quarters
#14 atomic rain
#15 dunkirk
#18 nowhere to hide
#19 desert party

for the derby , as far as strategy goes is it profitable or smart to play more or less exacta boxes?

like should i just pick out a few horses and play 2 or 3 ex boxes, or spread i around it pick out a number of different combos of horses and play around 5-6 of them? whats the best way to do that?

personally, im gonna find 2 money horses. (likely friesan fire and dunkirk right now, but I dunno). And then just play tris and supers with those 2 and some other smart long shots.

MineThatBird is also out after a poor last outing finished 4th a field even worse than what Flying Private faced. So we're down to 8:

#1 west side bernie
#5 hold me back
#6 friesan fire*
#12 general quarters
#14 atomic rain
#15 dunkirk
#18 nowhere to hide
#19 desert party

why is 6 flags sponsoring the derby?? i would imagine not a lot of younger people are watching the derby..

Atomic Rain is gone for the same reasons as the 2 above. Down to 7 now:

#1 west side bernie
#5 hold me back
#6 friesan fire*
#12 general quarters
#15 dunkirk
#18 nowhere to hide
#19 desert party

why is 6 flags sponsoring the derby?? i would imagine not a lot of younger people are watching the derby..

I think they try to advertise to the main buyers (the parents). But I think usually women decide on vacations/trips, and I can't imagine many women are watching.

I'm scratching Nowhere to Hide. The horse was a late addition and has no place being in this field. So now we have 6:

#1 west side bernie
#5 hold me back
#6 friesan fire*
#12 general quarters
#15 dunkirk
#19 desert party

Back