Kentucky Derby PPs

The thing about Country House is he ran his race....he moves into the money on the far turn then flattens in the stretch. Happened in all 3 of his stakes races.

If he comes down he'd be placed behind WoW

they need to shut their mouth about the "best horse in the race." if that's all that matters, why run the race? Just give it to the favorite.

for the horse guys... was that the right call? if this was a different race would he have been DQ'd?
Loaded question. It was probably the right call, there was a safety factor that came into play. Most races it wouldn't have taken that long to overturn. Some places though....you just don't know how the stewards will see it.

yes, you can see the #1 War of Will have to check up, rider grab the reins to avoid an accident and caused a chain reaction with the horse behind him. All because the 7 beared out two paths ( judges allow a bit of bearing out as horses tire). So it doesnt matter whether the 20 Country House wouldve won or not but whether any horse was impeded that altered their order of finish which imo it did.

think War of Will got the worst of that whole mess
He was making a strong move and was totally cut off

for the horse guys... was that the right call? if this was a different race would he have been DQ'd?

Yes, I think it was the right call, Maximum Security moved out 2-3 lanes on Will of War and made contact with him and caused the jockey to check or pull up on the horse and cut off his momentum or he might have gone down. The interesting thing is the jockey of Country House who even by the trainer's admission was very minimally effected was the one who claimed foul. If he doesn't do that the don't look at it and it stands. Very smart move by Flavian Prat.

Now they show a different view I hadn't seen before.
Definitely dicey. I just don't think it intentional , but I see more now.

unfortunate.

Here's my take.

It sucks Country House got put up because he had the whole length of the stretch to go by MS and couldn't

They showed it for about 5 seconds. Master Fencer was respectable, around 7th. Roadster and Spinoff basically matched their numbers.

It wasn't Seaz' fault, the horse spooked. But IMO they made the right call. Didn't think they'd do that in the Derby. But he definitely impeded War of Wil and was lucky he didn't go down.

I don't like a lot of dqs. Horses aren't machines. The have quirks but I think he needed to come down.

nah the crowd noise can affect them, horses naturally bear out off turns usually just not that much, couldve been spooked by something in infield. These horses are still reativey babies with few races under their belts.

A lot going on there, going around the turn where momentum wants you to go out, a wet surface and the crowd noise starting to pick up can spook the horse. Saez known as a good jock, he wasn't guiding him out into traffic there

A lot going on there, going around the turn where momentum wants you to go out, a wet surface and the crowd noise starting to pick up can spook the horse. Saez known as a good jock, he wasn't guiding him out into traffic there
They clip heels and Maximum Security could go down too

Once they hit the head of the lane the crowd erupts, just think the horse shied from the crowd noise. Like I said they aren't machines. And normally I don't like taking the best horse down, but thought it was merited.

So in the final order of finish they placed Maximum Security behind Long Range Toddy. From 1st to 17th.

Maximum Security won the race. The stewards called on inquiry, meaning they wanted to take a look. Also there was two rider objections, because they felt their horses were interfered with.

The race finished like this:
1) 7 Maximum Security
2) 20 Country House
3) 13 Code Of Honor
8) Tacticus

But after the inquiry, the stewards ruled Maximum Security caused a chain reaction of interfering with #1 War Of Will who then swerved into #18 Long Range Toddy costing both of them placings in the race.

Back