Kentucky Derby PPs

Agreed with LB. Distance could be a concern for Improbable as well him being inside horses. He doesn't look like a real big horse but he has a massive long stride. He's my pick but definitely has his warts. Also that scratch of Omaha Beach is gonna hurt all the Baffert horses' odds.

Haikal with a foot abscess I think might be a scratch, was on the fence of using him underneath but will be a toss now if he runs

Eddie O is probably the best public handicapper out there in my opinion, probably because he’s one of the few who actually bet

Oaks Day Race 7-11 Pick 5: they snuck a 7f optional claimer in the middle of all these stakes and its a real head scratcher, although now that Baffert's horse has drawn in it's either a single or a spread. The track conditions also throw a wrench into things.

1,2,8 / 1,2,7,9 / 1,5,7,8,12,15 / 6 / 10,14

McKinzie showing why a move heading into the stretch is better than a mid-race move. Met Mile next? Or Stephen Foster?

Today's weather has improved, track is now fast, but tomorrow is looking wet all afternoon.

See it so often. You think a race is absolutely loaded with speed and will fall apart and one gets loose and parks.

I want to say the track become speed favoring as it dried but Solid Wager and Tiz Mischief closed well in the allowance for 2nd and 4th, and the Oaks just wasn't a fast pace going 1:11 and 1.

What’s up, strangers

I laid out Maximum Security, Improbable and Tax as my potential trifecta box a few weeks ago, so I’m sticking with it. Sure as I change it, they’ll come in.

I’ll have a dozen or so other bets but that’s it for now.

First year going. Section 111, Box 3, if anyone’s around.
I'm in 113, 3 rd row off the rail today.

Fascinating to me is Maiximum Security actually 'breezed' this morning according to the Churchill Downs clocker. He galloped then apparently blew out past the wire a quarter of a mile. That's almost unheard of these days.

On race days most horses will actually just walk the shed row. Some may go for a light jog. Some may just pony, meaning they go to the track without a rider and jog while being held by person on a pony horse. This is just to give the horses a bit of excercise to take some edge off of them.

But it's really unusually to actually give them a breeze the day of the race. This guy must be on full tilt.

Maximum Security such a hard horse to get a read on, and as mentioned by CPA the training methods of Jason Servis does not help figure out the puzzle. Made debut in a 16k maiden claiming race which is the bottom level maiden at Gulfstream, which indicates connections did not think much of him early on. He then runs in 2 starter allowances, meaning the horses entered in these races had to have been previously entered for a $50k claiming price or less, so again far from top competition, and I'd be willing to say that every horse entered in this race would have won all 3 of those races.

That brings us to the Florida Derby, the key to this race was the favorite Hidden Scroll was criticized for going way to fast in his previous race and falling back to finish 3rd. So his connections were intent on rating in the FL Derby, that turned out to be the wrong tactics here again as it allowed Maximum Security to set soft early pace over a speed favoring Gulfstream Park surface, he did finish strong however and no one was ever a threat to him.

He's never raced around other horses having run in 2 short fields and also being alone on the lead. Although he's always been in the lead the pace at which he's gotten those leads indicate that he will not be alone on the lead in this race, although the scratch of Omaha Beach probably helps with that.

That brings us to this morning and his 'breeze' and his other works coming into this race which are almost mind boggling, :54.4 4F on 4/13, :42 3F on 4/21, and :53.4 4F on 4/29 all at Palm Meadows in FL, those times are ridiculously slow and a few seconds slower than his previous works. Servis has been the hottest trainer in the country, winning at a 31% clip for the year, but does pick up many of those wins at the lower levels of racing he is not above some trickery, I would not be surprised if there were untimed works that were much better that did not appear on any clocker reports. Breeding doesn't really suggest he wants to go 10F but as mentioned did finish strong at 9F in FL derby.

I will defensively in a few tickets but will let this horse beat me for the most part.

Don't like too much on the early part of the Churchill card but will take a shot with a couple of longshots in Race 4. There are a few very good horses in this race, Hidden Scroll, who freaked in the mud in his debut, Fortin Hill an impressive debut winner for Chad BRown back in October but off since then, and High Crime who has won a couple of nice races. All 3 plus Michievious Bird all seem to be front running though and I will hope they set it up for some closers the best of which I think are Zorb and Youvesaiditall. I'll key those 2 in exacta's and tri's and have win bets on both at what should easily be double digit odds.

I feel like Roadster isn't getting enough attention. I don't know if that's because Smith bailed on him for Omaha Beach? But his upside is probably the best of the Baffert 3. Yeah Game Winner was wide the whole in the SA Derby, but the move Roadster made was amazing. Probably has the best turn of foot of anyone in here, but does that mean he gets 1 and 1/4 or an off track?

Don't like too much on the early part of the Churchill card but will take a shot with a couple of longshots in Race 4. There are a few very good horses in this race, Hidden Scroll, who freaked in the mud in his debut, Fortin Hill an impressive debut winner for Chad BRown back in October but off since then, and High Crime who has won a couple of nice races. All 3 plus Michievious Bird all seem to be front running though and I will hope they set it up for some closers the best of which I think are Zorb and Youvesaiditall. I'll key those 2 in exacta's and tri's and have win bets on both at what should easily be double digit odds.

Fortin Hill is scratched.

I feel like Roadster isn't getting enough attention. I don't know if that's because Smith bailed on him for Omaha Beach? But his upside is probably the best of the Baffert 3. Yeah Game Winner was wide the whole in the SA Derby, but the move Roadster made was amazing. Probably has the best turn of foot of anyone in here, but does that mean he gets 1 and 1/4 or an off track?

I like Roadster best of the Baffert 3. I do have some questions about the Baffert horses this year in that the closing of Santa Anita this year might have messed up what has become a bit of a set pattern with Bob on how he prepares his horses for the Derby and Triple Crown. Having the main and training tracks closed for a couple of weeks and days respectively caused him to make some audibles on training and what races these horses ran, but he is the best at at this. Just wonder if there was enough there to not have his horses at 110% like he usually does.

Disclaimer: The above thoughts are from a non-Bob Baffert fan and someone who is always looking for any angle to bet against him and his horses.

I tried to beat Baffert last year and we al know how that worked out. Now he has 3 of the top 4 faves. Lol. Good luck to us.

Still, GW and Imp or both 0 for 2 this year. That doesn't play into the recent derby winners coming into the big one. So can't fault anyone who takes a stand against them

Track playing eminently fare so far, leaders tiring under fast fractions. Whether it continues later in the afternoon when they're expecting some showers will be key.

The track can take a bunch of water, as long as it's not al at once. Supposed to gain intensity later in the day. Hard to gauge at this point.

Maximum security is the name of an album by one of my favorite guitarists.
I’m totally out of horse play anymore.
Depending on you sharps.

Have good day gents

Back