Jordan & LeBron

Glad we reconsidered the term "tremendous"

I loved Horace Grant. But a career 11/9 guy, definitely a role player. Did he make the All-Star game 1x ? Yes he did. Don't try and say he was a Chris Bosh or Kevin Love type player.

egg, it's really simple from my perspective...

Chicago made the playoffs the season Jordan sat out in the middle of the 2 three ring runs...

When Lebron left Cleveland, they lost HOW many more games the following year... Maybe that was just THAT move? Ok, but Miami went from finals appearances every season two missing the playoffs after adding Deng and Dragic...in the fucking east...where 500 ball gets in easily.

Lebron has had a greater impact on his team then any player in history. I don't think there's any denying that anymore...that being said, I'm not saying that puts him ahead of Jordan for all-time number one though...but if Lebron gets 6 total rings in his career, and takes his team to say 10 finals...I'd probably go there

egg, it's really simple from my perspective...

Chicago made the playoffs the season Jordan sat out in the middle of the 2 three ring runs...

When Lebron left Cleveland, they lost HOW many more games the following year... Maybe that was just THAT move? Ok, but Miami went from finals appearances every season two missing the playoffs after adding Deng and Dragic...in the fucking east...where 500 ball gets in easily.

Lebron has had a greater impact on his team then any player in history. I don't think there's any denying that anymore...that being said, I'm not saying that puts him ahead of Jordan for all-time number one though...but if Lebron gets 6 total rings in his career, and takes his team to say 10 finals...I'd probably go there

From the "impact on his team" angle I would maybe agree. No question the teams he left in the dust have ended up sucking. Guess a lot of things come into play though. I personally believe Jordan being Jordan created Pippen, and Grant and so forth. They always knew who the leader was. And I think he made them all better because he refused to lose or give up. Lot of stories about him basically being a dick at practice and I think that atmosphere created better teams all around. I don't think LeBron has ever made his teammates better.

All this being said, my forever argument will be that Michael Jordan is the greatest player to play the game, and the best closer without a doubt. He was a defined player that played his role every game. 25 shots or so, great D and never gave up. LeBron is a Center some games, a PG others, and a SG others. His teamates never know which role they are going to be filling in a night.

If LeBron played the rest of his career the way he played in games 1& 2 and be "the man" the way God intended when he gave him sick skills and a 270/6'8" frame then he could go down as the goat.

I don't think there's any question that LeBron is a superior athlete to MJ. What separates Jordan is complete unwillingness to quit and/or lose. I don't think LBJ has that level of competitiveness. Very few do.

He was a better basketball player, not a better athlete. Kaitlyn Jenner was a better athlete than Jordan too ... so what?

He was a better basketball player, not a better athlete. Kaitlyn Jenner was a better athlete than Jordan too ... so what?

My point was that there are things that LeBron can do physically that MJ couldn't, but that doesn't mean that LBJ is better at basketball.

LeBron is a more muscular, explosive Magic if we are gonna compare...

Or Karl Malone with skills like Magic...

Only person you compare to MJ is Kobe...as far as being similar...

When my kids ask me, I compare Bron to Bird, not Jordan. Seeing things two steps ahead, the passing, effortless rebounding, elevating the guys around him. He'll never shoot like Bird, but he plays like Bird.

The thing Bron doesn't have that Jordan had (and Bird, for that matter) is a mean streak. I don't mean toughness. Mean.

When my kids ask me, I compare Bron to Bird, not Jordan. Seeing things two steps ahead, the passing, effortless rebounding, elevating the guys around him. He'll never shoot like Bird, but he plays like Bird.

The thing Bron doesn't have that Jordan had (and Bird, for that matter) is a mean streak. I don't mean toughness. Mean.

Another good comparison...

Disagree about Bird not having a mean streak. Dude talked more BS than anyone in the history of the league, often told opponents what he was gonna do and even from what spot on the floor and then did it. Regularly called out his teammates in public, never more so than after game 3 in LA of the 1984 Finals when Boston got run out of the gym and lost by 33, calling his teammates soft and a bunch of sissies which lead to McHale clotheslining Rambis the next game.

This was a guy that got in a fight with Dr. J...in the preseason no less.

No, I was saying Bird had one. He'd kick a puppy to win a game.

good LA boy

Ive never once heard he was a dick

Don't talk to his son that played in the NFL then, Demetress Bell. Never acknowledged him not to mention he fathered him when he was at Louisiana Tech while the mother was only 13; if that happened today instead of the early 80's he would have gone to prison.

He also was a cheap bastard when it came to child support for him, family wanted $200 a week in support, he only paid $125 and then said it was too much and reached a settlement with the family. NBA fucking superstar paying $500 a month in child support and the fucker is complaining.

Last edited:
It's not the husband/father of the year thread. You don't have to have these guys over for dinner, just rate their basketball prowess.

Don't talk to his son that played in the NFL then, Demetress Bell. Never acknowledged him not to mention he fathered him when he was at Louisiana Tech while the mother was only 13; if that happened today instead of the early 80's he was have gone to prison.

He also was a cheap bastard when it came to child support for him, family wanted $200 a week in support, he only paid $125 and then said it was too much and reached a settlement with the family. NBA fucking superstar paying $500 a month in child support and the fucker is complaining.

OK....all I needed.:shake:

Like I said I never heard anything..

Didn't need a 12AM type shit...

It's not the husband/father of the year thread. You don't have to have these guys over for dinner, just rate their basketball prowess.

Top Ten Ever

1. Jordan

2. Wilt
3. Magic
4. Oscar Robertson
5. Duncan
6. Shaq
7. Jabbar
8. Bird
9. Russell (eh maybe I have him high)
10. Elgin Baylor or maybe Jerry West

Honorable mention: Moses Malone, Rick Barry, Patrick Ewing

He is right there with Izayer, kobe, Olajuwon ... just on the outside looking in .... to LeBron's credit he can still move up ... the others cannot.

I thought Jabbar was a weak superstar in the Magic years, but he played a long time and scored and scored, I'll allow it. Patrick Ewing shouldn't even sniff this list. Isaiah and 20 other dudes over Ewing.

I admit Ewing is a bit of a personal eye test addition. His lack of titles makes it hard given he had a lot of good players on his teams around him. Those were some pretty good Knick teams. But he just ran into better teams his whole career and then got robbed or Starked of his title against Houston.

did I say you were wrong?

how about some examples, genius

AK answered it for the most part; in addition to fathering Bell with a 13-year old when he was 20, he also fathered twins when he was 17 that he didn't acknowledge until 1998 when a tabloid ran an article exposing the fact. To his credit, since then he has maintained a relationship with those two kids.

I realize this isn't father of the year thread, but I just never cared for the Mailman. The over the top diatribe after Magic announced his HIV all the way to hitting on Kobe's wife in 2004 (and I dislike Kobe more than Karl).

Top Ten Ever

1. Jordan

2. Wilt
3. Magic
4. Oscar Robertson
5. Duncan
6. Shaq
7. Jabbar
8. Bird

It brings a smile to my face to see you have him that high...

AK answered it for the most part; in addition to fathering Bell with a 13-year old when he was 20, he also fathered twins when he was 17 that he didn't acknowledge until 1998 when a tabloid ran an article exposing the fact. To his credit, since then he has maintained a relationship with those two kids.

I realize this isn't father of the year thread, but I just never cared for the Mailman. The over the top diatribe after Magic announced his HIV all the way to hitting on Kobe's wife in 2004 (and I dislike Kobe more than Karl).

I can't stand him because he was the dirtiest player in the history of the league. What he did to Isiah Thomas was deserving of criminal charges and he should have been suspended for 20 games minimum.

I can't stand him because he was the dirtiest player in the history of the league. What he did to Isiah Thomas was deserving of criminal charges and he should have been suspended for 20 games minimum.

I agree with you AK; I wasn't going to go there, but yes, he was a bully as well. He constantly took shots at smaller players throughout his career. As I recall, Zeke required 40 stitches after that particular play. He also took multiple shots at Nash as well. In true bully fashion, he whined to the refs and the media (to some extent) when he couldn't get away with that crap in the Finals when Rodman got under his skin and clearly got the better of him.

No Isiah? Absolute killer.

I am positive he is not better than 1-8. Stone cold positive, though I didn't see Oscar or Wilt really.

I think maybe I should flip Shaq and Jabbar .. Jabber with the better career and more adept at the game of basketball itself... Shaq was just insanely dominant in his prime.

It brings a smile to my face to see you have him that high...

An amazing player. Dribble, fast break passing, could play bigger positions on the court, leadership, heart, clutch .... guy even beat THE aids ... errr HIV anyway

kobe doesn't even make the honorable mention list? But shaq is 6th all time?

Correct. Kobe was robin to Shaq's batman for their stint together for sure and was far more dominating than kobe could ever dream of being ... well that's not true as he dreamed of being Jordan to the point of copying mannerisms and speech... was kind of creepy. Shaq>kobe

Top Ten Ever

1. Jordan

2. Wilt
3. Magic
4. Oscar Robertson
5. Duncan
6. Shaq
7. Jabbar
8. Bird

I know you hate Kobe, but?

LeBron not there yet?

I came away HATING ZEKE after the 30 for 30

the fact that Mokey idolizes him, well....

and what he said about Bird...

I find Zeke way down on my like list of really good players

I am positive he is not better than 1-8. Stone cold positive, though I didn't see Oscar or Wilt really.

I think maybe I should flip Shaq and Jabbar .. Jabber with the better career and more adept at the game of basketball itself... Shaq was just insanely dominant in his prime.

I feel like Shaq gets the "well he was just huge....who would't be good" treatment.....he was UNSTOPPABLE in his prime. He played too long, but whatever.

I OBV have a bias....

I like seeing a guy I respect put him high up there tho:shake:

Didn't mean to call you an asshole

believe me, I can be pretty prodding here at CTG

my last response wasn't that time tho:shake:

Back