Johnny Football?

daveniner

Pretty much a regular
I never expected that to happen. I think Klein got robbed. But, he didn't even finish second, in the voting.

Overall
Manziel, 3419 yds, 24 TD, 8 INT /// 1181 yds, 19 TD
Klein, 2490, 15 TD, 7 INT /// 890 yds, 22 TD

Against ALL BCS teams
Manziel, 2289 yds, 11 TD, 6 INT /// 698 yds, 10 TD
Klein, 2096 yds, 11 TD, 6 INT /// 756 yds, 21 TD

Against .500 or better BCS teams
Manziel 2-2, 5 td's, 6 to
Klein 8-1, 26 td's, 5 to

I don't understand why the second kansas state lost a game that the media just threw Klein under the bus saying he couldn't win. I would have voted for Klein or Lynch. The ND linebacker? no.. prefer the UGA dlineman to him on that side of the ball. Still, Manziel has good enough stats for him to not come close to some of the ridiculous ones like R Bush.

Can they retroactively give Herschel Walker a Heisman for his freshman year now?

Klein needed a cool nickname to have a chance.

I would of voted Klein as well. Don't understand why he dropped down so much after one bad game vs Baylor. RG3 had a bad game last year and still won..

weird.

RG3 wore stupid colorful socks and had personality. He was easier for people to like, rather than a big boring donkey like Klein who happens to be a good football player.

Its not very often that the Heisman actually goes to the best football player. I'm not sure it did this year either, but Johnny is fun to watch and deserving.

I'm not really saying that Johnny Freshman is not deserving of the trophy. I was mainly surprised to see him picked over 2 seniors. I was also surprised at how many votes Te'o received.

They picked a kid that didn't have a chance to speak for the entire year.
Apparently, they chose him for his FB ability.

As an Ag I was more happy with 10-2 than this. And still ended up 5th(?) in conference?

I'm glad I lost respect for the Heisman many years ago bc I would be hot right now. Klein played better and was more important to his team than Johnny Manzeil was. His stupid nickname and the SEC were the reasons he won. If he would have still been playing in the Big XII, he wouldn't have won much less been in NYC.

that being said, I like the guy as a QB and he will continue to shine I'm sure.

Yeah, if he was still in the BEVO10 his numbers would have been twice what they are.

Bowl games mean little.
If 0u gets pummeled , then there is always the "Stoops Performance" in a bowl game.

I think it shows how big a pussy some people are, to call a kid a "POS" because he was given an award by a group of people. When all any of these kids did was play a game they love and were equally good in their own way.

There is no way any hip-hopper should win a grammy because it's not music. Some group votes to give it to them anyway. I'm sure someone called Meryl Streep a POS for winning the Oscar.
The Heisman ceased to be important a long time ago.

Overall
Manziel, 3419 yds, 24 TD, 8 INT /// 1181 yds, 19 TD
Klein, 2490, 15 TD, 7 INT /// 890 yds, 22 TD

Against ALL BCS teams
Manziel, 2289 yds, 11 TD, 6 INT /// 698 yds, 10 TD
Klein, 2096 yds, 11 TD, 6 INT /// 756 yds, 21 TD

Against .500 or better BCS teams
Manziel 2-2, 5 td's, 6 to
Klein 8-1, 26 td's, 5 to
what does this prove?

The SEC is the reason he won? You all are crazy..

Klein shoulda won? I thought he was great too...

The problem is, you need a "moment" apparently for this thing

Bowl games mean little.
If 0u gets pummeled , then there is always the "Stoops Performance" in a bowl game.

I think it shows how big a pussy some people are, to call a kid a "POS" because he was given an award by a group of people. When all any of these kids did was play a game they love and were equally good in their own way.

There is no way any hip-hopper should win a grammy because it's not music. Some group votes to give it to them anyway. I'm sure someone called Meryl Streep a POS for winning the Oscar.
The Heisman ceased to be important a long time ago.

I'll agree with the Stoops thing. He's shown on many occasions how he cannot coach against a good team outside his conference.

As far as 1kstate calling Manzeil a "POS" you have to see it from his perspective. Klein had the Heisman locked up until they lost to Baylor. We're talking one game. Johnny lost two games and his school didn't even play for anything? Klein led his team to a Big XIi title and a top five ranking. Without him, they don't finish no where near they did. Sure, aTm beat Alabama at their place, but it was only bc the Bams did a horrible job of play calling down inside the ten in the last few mins. It wasn't like they blew them out the way USC did a few years back. Also, Manziel had some pretty inflated numbers against some unworthy opponents. Again, a top heavy SEC paves the way for the appearance of a "every game is a battle amongst ranked teams." #jealous

can we address how ridiculous that Manti Teo was even at the ceremony?

Did he not lead the country in interceptions and was the anchor on the best defense in college football? I don't think it was ridiculous at all. The amount of votes Klein got was ridiculous.

lil more than that CG....you know that

His nickname put him on the map. But he was handed that trophy after they beat Alabama. Do you really feel that Johnny was dominantly deserving of the Heisman over Klein?? The voting was not even close.

I have a hypothetical situation that would really have pissed some people off with unfairness and bias on an angle that surprisingly hasn't been brought up (the angle; not the hypothetical). Oh the humanity had both circumstances been real.

What does it prove?

Let me spell it out for you - Manziel wasn't that much better than Klein. Manziel had massive stats against shit teams. Jesus even you can see that Twink.
I see stats that break massive records....

I liked your guy too..

Johnny football mormon and take like a 15 year mission....dude looks 35 yo easy.........

His nickname put him on the map. But he was handed that trophy after they beat Alabama. Do you really feel that Johnny was dominantly deserving of the Heisman over Klein?? The voting was not even close.

I have a hypothetical situation that would really have pissed some people off with unfairness and bias on an angle that surprisingly hasn't been brought up (the angle; not the hypothetical). Oh the humanity had both circumstances been real.
i guess you cant shit the bed vs Baylor and throw 3 picks to a team in the Holliday Bowl unranked that was 4-5 in the Big12....harsh yes

but reality

The only issue I have with him winning is that HE is the first Freshman to win the award. OJ, Herschel, there are others....for Manziel to be the one that finally wins it as a freshman is ridiculous IMO.

He had a record setting season, breaking great Heisman seasons from 2 of tha best qbs tha sec has seen wit cam an tebow.

He had a record setting season, breaking great Heisman seasons from 2 of tha best qbs tha sec has seen wit cam an tebow.

He may have broke a couple of records, but he wasn't better than either one of those guys. Not to mention both Cam and Tebow won national titles.

He may have broke a couple of records, but he wasn't better than either one of those guys. Not to mention both Cam and Tebow won national titles.

Cam an Tim both of course won Tha national title after Tha award was given to them, not really a valid point. Johnny put up much better numbers vs roughly Tha same strength of schedule. Ksu 19th in nation SOS, tamu 25th in nation SOS. He put up numbers no one else has at that position as a freshman, he won it. So how is it he didn't deserve it when he as a freshman broke both cams and tims numbers, and put up better numbers than Klein and beat #1 bama at bama?

i guess you cant shit the bed vs Baylor and throw 3 picks to a team in the Holliday Bowl unranked that was 4-5 in the Big12....harsh yes

but reality

RG 3 had more combined yards and TD's than Manziel. He also had fewer turnovers and a better completion % and completely dominated him in passer rating by 33 points.

Im telling you right now as asinine as it sounds if Johnny Manziel doesn't have that nickname, he doesn't win this award. He's a great story and a great player, but his nickname propelled him to this award. Period. This award - and we all know it - is a popularity competition.

Cam an Tim both of course won Tha national title after Tha award was given to them, not really a valid point. Johnny put up much better numbers vs roughly Tha same strength of schedule. Ksu 19th in nation SOS, tamu 25th in nation SOS. He put up numbers no one else has at that position as a freshman, he won it. So how is it he didn't deserve it when he as a freshman broke both cams and tims numbers, and put up better numbers than Klein and beat #1 bama at bama?

Manziel's numbers are skewed pretty large to the garbage teams his team played against. Go back close to the top of this page and look at the numbers Smith1051 gave us. Overall #'s/BCS team #'s/.500 or better BCS teams #'s. these are telling numbers and it shows K-St played against better competition two to one. That's BIG.

And we need to get over this win at Bama. Manziel didn't ultimately win that Bama game like you see with so many "moments". His defense beat them.

I saw a breakdown that showed that Manziel accumulated a great # of his stats while A&M was up 21+ points or something like that. I agree that it is horsesh!t that Klein got dropped because of one game. And while Manziel played great against Bama, his defense is what made that win. And that Teo was only there because of the name on his jersey and him overcoming tragedy so well this season. Don't get me wrong, Teo is a great linebacker, but he didn't dominate the way great defensive players in the past have, or even players this season like Clowney, Jarvis Jones, etc. I think that this group of Heisman finalists shows just how average college football is this year. Lot of parity and not much distinguishing one team from the other top teams.

Manziel's numbers are skewed pretty large to the garbage teams his team played against. Go back close to the top of this page and look at the numbers Smith1051 gave us. Overall #'s/BCS team #'s/.500 or better BCS teams #'s. these are telling numbers and it shows K-St played against better competition two to one. That's BIG.

And we need to get over this win at Bama. Manziel didn't ultimately win that Bama game like you see with so many "moments". His defense beat them.

Strength of schedule is strength of schedule. Both teams roughly had Tha same overall SOS. So against roughly Tha same overall competition he had 1000 more passing yards, almost 10 more passing tds, better completion %, roughly same ints, more rushing yards, and roughly the same rushing tds. I can understand ur argument if Johnny had worse numbers Tha Klein, but his numbers were much better overall as a freshman than Klein. So they shoulda just gave it to Klein cause he was a senior and Johnny was a freshman? He had a much better season overall and deserved it

I saw a breakdown that showed that Manziel accumulated a great # of his stats while A&M was up 21+ points or something like that. I agree that it is horsesh!t that Klein got dropped because of one game. And while Manziel played great against Bama, his defense is what made that win. And that Teo was only there because of the name on his jersey and him overcoming tragedy so well this season. Don't get me wrong, Teo is a great linebacker, but he didn't dominate the way great defensive players in the past have, or even players this season like Clowney, Jarvis Jones, etc. I think that this group of Heisman finalists shows just how average college football is this year. Lot of parity and not much distinguishing one team from the other top teams.

haha what was Johnny doin sittin Tha bench when tamu went up 21 on teams? He was Tha reason they were puttin up Tha points

I'm willing to meet you half way on Teo bc your reasoning was rationale and accurate. There are other guys who statistically were better, but he was an anchor on the best defense in the country. They (and he) were the focal point in a season where they constantly were making big plays and won every game. There's something to be said about that as well.

The rest of your post was dead on and I endorse every word of it. Solid post all around and am glad to see someone else isn't afraid to take the unpopular route and say the aTm defense beat Bama and Johnny did not. If Bama scores on that last drive instead of throwing an int AND Johnny brings his team back to win ... That is a "moment." He had no "moment." ESPN manufactured his "moment" early in the game while the sun was still out when he bobbled a fucking snap and threw a TD. Whoop-de-fucking-do.

Strength of schedule is strength of schedule. Both teams roughly had Tha same overall SOS. So against roughly Tha same overall competition he had 1000 more passing yards, almost 10 more passing tds, better completion %, roughly same ints, more rushing yards, and roughly the same rushing tds. I can understand ur argument if Johnny had worse numbers Tha Klein, but his numbers were much better overall as a freshman than Klein. So they shoulda just gave it to Klein cause he was a senior and Johnny was a freshman? He had a much better season overall and deserved it

So we are going to ignore that aTm played only FOUR opponents that were .500 or better from the BCS conferences and was 2-2 while K-St played NINE of them and went 8-1. Wow. That's pretty lazy work if you ask me and you don't really care about the truth, but just your version of it. If that's not a college football injustice I simply do not know what is. #JohnnyFootball

ESPN manufactured his "moment" early in the game while the sun was still out when he bobbled a fucking snap and threw a TD. Whoop-de-fucking-do.

Unfortunately the Heisman now has ESPN's dirty fingerprints all over it. Just another thing they've ruined.

SOS is still SOS. U can try to twist it all u want but overall Tha whole season they roughly played Tha same schedule. Tamu played 2 top 10 schools ksu played 1. Like I said overall ksu schedule was 19th, tamu was 25th. Vs Tha same competition basically he put up better numbers bottom line, u can try and twist shit all u want about Tha schedule. Numbers show overall whole season they basically played Tha same competition.

Tru, you can say I am twisting the SOS if you'll admit you are hiding behind it. We'll simply have to agree to disagree.

haha what was Johnny doin sittin Tha bench when tamu went up 21 on teams? He was Tha reason they were puttin up Tha points

I think the point was that he accumulated much of his numbers in games after the result was not in doubt, when they could have had a backup in. I have no problem with Manziel winning it. I would have been ok with any of those 3 winning a largely irrelevant award.

Not hiding behind anything, SOS shows they played overall all season close to Tha same competition, wit Johnny puttin up much better numbers. If tamu SOS was 50s or much worse then this wouldn't be up for debate.

Back