Johnny Football

Johnny Afluenza isn't fooling anybody with his name change. I don't think I've ever seen a bigger douche bag then this guy. After completing rehab, he at least tried to hide his identity partying with that mustache and wig. But now he just doesn't give a shit. Out in the open and still thinking NFL teams will pursue him. This guy will never learn. He's a rich, spoiled entitled brat who after blowing his money won't even have to worry. He'll still get allowance from mommy and daddy.

No chance he ever plays in the NFL again right? Not even signed to a practice squad right?

If he were any good he'd get a shot. No bang for the buck with this little fella.

No chance he ever plays in the NFL again right? Not even signed to a practice squad right?
At minimum, he needs to complete rehab again first. Then he'll have to quit partying and stay out of the spotlight. IMO there's no way he can do that. The guy loves to party.

At minimum, he needs to complete rehab again first. Then he'll have to quit partying and stay out of the spotlight. IMO there's no way he can do that. The guy loves to party.

He's gonna be a lifer junkie. It will be one of those great before and after pictures after he has destroyed himself.

They say the rehab won't work unless the person wants it to and I don't think he does.

Can it get any worse for this junkie with his lawyer accidentally tweeting what he did? This guy never sees another down in the NFL. He's starting to get to the Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf bust status, although he'll probably never get that high due to his draft position.

Hopefully he doesn't overdose or kill himself somehow. That is very possible.

Can it get any worse for this junkie with his lawyer accidentally tweeting what he did? This guy never sees another down in the NFL. He's starting to get to the Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf bust status, although he'll probably never get that high due to his draft position.

Hopefully he doesn't overdose or kill himself somehow. That is very possible.

i think hes above them. You are right about draft position factoring in, but at teh same time, this guy barely even played. At least Leaf and Jamarcus won a few games.

This is very sad. Yes he is a spoiled entitled prick. But he has a problem and it is very possible he ends up dead. Its a complete trainwreck, and hes surrounded by enablers and has no shortage of money, so there is nothing to really make him stop.

When I type "yet another....." keep in mind it is usually more than one life being ruined. His drug use is destroying his parents

When I type "yet another....." keep in mind it is usually more than one life being ruined. His drug use is destroying his parents

I think the way he was raised ruined his life and the drugs were a result of it. He was/is an entitled prick and never held accountable for anything in his life.

I think the way he was raised ruined his life and the drugs were a result of it. He was/is an entitled prick and never held accountable for anything in his life.
what are you basing this on other than him being rich? His father seems more than willing to hold him accountable now so wonder why he wouldn't have before. I don't think this is a L Lohan thing where the mother is a drug addict that dragged her daughter down. But I don't know too .. it isn't something I have read up on in regards to how JFF was raised.

This is where he should try and restart his career. He's crazy if he thinks an NFL team will just give him another chance after the shit he's done.

I was at the cats morning practice yesterday. Its amazing how many 'fans' suddenly show up just because a B-grade celeb is in town.

At any rate, Manziel didn't even throw a pass in the first team drills and will have a long way to go to be able to read a CFL defense.

I think the cats have made a big mistake wasting money on this guy. He clearly isn't committed to the CFL and all they've done is add a first class distraction to the team before the season has even begun. Its unlikely he will have any sort of impact on the field, at least in 2018. Between this and hiring Jerry Glanville, the organization is becoming a bit of a joke in CFL circles.

I'll happily eat my words if a miracle happens but I don't expect anything other than nonsense.

Just when you think sports media couldn't get any more ridiculous, TSN is now reporting daily on Manziels training camp stats.

You'll all be happy to know that yesterday he went 6/11 for 198 yards...in non-contact practice drill...with the second team offense. Could there be more meaningless numbers in all of professional sports?

Seriously, the circus surrounding this guy is insane. But hey, at least he didn't get cut 6 days into camp like Josh Freeman.

Matthew scianitti is the windhorst to johnnys lebron in terms of coverage

When he was covering practice last week i laughed seeing it

Thing most people who dont follow the league realize is how much the qbs up here get hit, its a 3 down league with 12 defenders and wider field and hashes

Especially if he wants to run, hes going to get injured

Other thing is the skill, like when people joke about if bama could beat the browns or something

The cfl is a good talented league, a bad cfl team would crush bama

Yeah very true. I think the biggest adjustment is 12 men on the field. Its like playing against a nickel package every down but still with a full compliment of men in the box. It takes a lot of getting used to read CFL defenses. Even the venerable Doug Flutie threw more picks than touchdowns in his first CFL season.

Add to that the shorter play clock, the waggle and snap resets and unlimited motion and its a big adjustment from the American game. The one yard restraining zone changes the timing of draw plays etc. There are just a million of little timing adjustments to make. If Manziel can pull that off in short order I would be mighty impressed.

Consider also that his agent tried to have the league allow a special 1 year contract so he could light it up and get back to the NFL. Thankfully the league said no but I think that demonstrates where his head is at. I don't see a bright future but will gladly eat my words.

Apparently there are shops offering a prop that Manziel starts game 1 of the regular season. If I had access to that I would hammer the 'no' side HARD!

Yeah very true. I think the biggest adjustment is 12 men on the field. Its like playing against a nickel package every down but still with a full compliment of men in the box. It takes a lot of getting used to read CFL defenses. Even the venerable Doug Flutie threw more picks than touchdowns in his first CFL season.

Add to that the shorter play clock, the waggle and snap resets and unlimited motion and its a big adjustment from the American game. The one yard restraining zone changes the timing of draw plays etc. There are just a million of little timing adjustments to make. If Manziel can pull that off in short order I would be mighty impressed.

Consider also that his agent tried to have the league allow a special 1 year contract so he could light it up and get back to the NFL. Thankfully the league said no but I think that demonstrates where his head is at. I don't see a bright future but will gladly eat my words.

Apparently there are shops offering a prop that Manziel starts game 1 of the regular season. If I had access to that I would hammer the 'no' side HARD!

Easiest bet ever. Thanks I’m going to try and find it

I hope they let him Johnny the fuck out of every play. It likely wont work but will be incredibly entertaining.

Ya thats crazy, if you guys find it let me know

I do think they rush him if they struggle, but my idea of rush was like week 6

Masoli himself is pretty much a Manziel.

Both can scramble. Both can throw.
Masoli probably stronger physically.

Manziel a little more circus plays

Ya thats crazy, if you guys find it let me know

I do think they rush him if they struggle, but my idea of rush was like week 6

That's my thinking also and considering the cats begin the season doing the Alberta two-step, they could easily start 0-2 and the pressure will be on. OTOH a strange quirk about Masoli is that he has a winning road record as a starter but a losing record at home so maybe he surprises us and reels off a win or two.

I read about that prop and some others in an online article but it didn't specify what shop. I have checked a few and didn't see anything so maybe its just a rumor or maybe the writer made it up out of whole cloth. I have to imagine if it exists, all the value will be juiced out of the no side.

Johnny looked good in his preseason debut.

Made some good throws. Scrambled quite a bit and looked confident out there.

Haven't seen it yet but june said he was basically going to ask manzeil for his top 20 list of plays he understands and just run those

Johnny looked good in his preseason debut.

Made some good throws. Scrambled quite a bit and looked confident out there.

I didn't think he look that good. Had no drives that resulted in pts. Took a 22 yd loss when they were in easy FG range. All those completions were short passes never threw the ball downfield once. The Adams guy should be the number 2. It's a joke that they think he is the clear number 2.

I thought he played decently well and it was fun to see him scrambling to make plays. Watching him use his legs to extend plays was reminiscent of a young Flutie when he first arrived in the league.

That being said, it was mostly dink & dunk against a nothing defense. The Argos left most of their starting defense at home and were auditioning a lot of players at LB and DB. 1st preseason games are usually pretty vanilla as far as schemes go too.

I was a little surprised to see him so butthurt over the intentional grounding call. He even looked pissed when mentioning it in the presser after. I mean, I like the intensity but it was a pretty clear call and the officials got it correct.

Finally I'll just say it was disappointing to hear fans chanting 'Johnny Football' while Masoli was operating. I suspect it will be this way all season as his celebrity status will attract "fans" who don't know whether a football is pumped of stuffed. Having fans calling for the backup every time your starter throws an incompletion is not a good scene. Having him on the bench will be a giant distraction for the cats all year which will won't help anything.

I thought he played decently well and it was fun to see him scrambling to make plays. Watching him use his legs to extend plays was reminiscent of a young Flutie when he first arrived in the league.

That being said, it was mostly dink & dunk against a nothing defense. The Argos left most of their starting defense at home and were auditioning a lot of players at LB and DB. 1st preseason games are usually pretty vanilla as far as schemes go too.

I was a little surprised to see him so butthurt over the intentional grounding call. He even looked pissed when mentioning it in the presser after. I mean, I like the intensity but it was a pretty clear call and the officials got it correct.

Finally I'll just say it was disappointing to hear fans chanting 'Johnny Football' while Masoli was operating. I suspect it will be this way all season as his celebrity status will attract "fans" who don't know whether a football is pumped of stuffed. Having fans calling for the backup every time your starter throws an incompletion is not a good scene. Having him on the bench will be a giant distraction for the cats all year which will won't help anything.

I agree, the question I have is how will this qb situation play out in Hamilton as I cannot see Manziel sitting on the bench for the entire year.

I suspect perhaps Manziel gets traded or masoli will? Likely Montreal could use one of these guys.

I believe Manziel has to be the starter otherwise as you stated there will be a big distraction.

I believe that any team has to spend 2 year commitment on Manziel.

I do feel that Manziels chances of success will depend on his receivers and scheme and overall talent on his team.
Hamilton to me looks quite weak at receiver. Many undersized no real big dominant names.

I think in today’s Cfl you will not see 1 player show up and do what Flutie did. It looks like the league is faster. Better athletes on defense.
It doesent loook to me that Manziel can just run around everyone.

The cfl is a winner no matter what. They get big exposure. More high caliber players will now come to the cfl knowing that if Johnny went there they can also go there.

Agree with pretty much everything you said. I'll just add that I think the single biggest missing ingredient with Manziel is commitment. The fact that his agent asked the league for a special exception contract that will allow him to bolt after a year demonstrates exactly how committed he is to the CFL. Even without that fact, its not like Manziel and commitment have ever belonged in the same sentence.

When the cats had his rights, they couldn't trade them because no one wanted to give up anything of value for a player who may never sign. I think the best case scenario for the cats would be to trade him away ASAP and start grooming a legit QB behind Masoli. Kavis Reed in Montreal might just be the only GM dumb/desperate enough to do it.

And you're right, the cats are thin at receiver. On the INT side of the equation, Terrance Tolliver should be back from last years torn ACL very soon but will he be the same? After that they only have talented but undersized guys like Brandon Banks, Jalen Saunders and Demar Aultmann.. Its even worse at NAT receiver. They lost Fantuz to retirement in the offseason and traded up to draft Mark Chapman out of central Michigan in the hopes that he could be the big-body NAT target they were looking for. But Chapman is holding out. Then on Friday they lost their only other NAT threat in Shamawd Chambers to a torn ACL. After that they have very little...Felix Fausier-Lambert looks good but lacks experience. Mike Jones is undersized and lacks strength. You'd better believe Chapman's price has only gone up with this situation.

There are other problems/deficiencies with this team but I won't clutter up the Manziel thread with them.

So Johnny Manchild took some significant strides between the first and second preseason games. His numbers weren't exactly stellar (12-20 88yds 1TD) but unlike the first game he actually executed some plays instead of just johnny-balling every down. He stayed in the pocket, generally made good reads and delivered the ball fairly accurately, even on the long outs. His longest completion was only 13 yards though so its still all underneath stuff. He threw 3 balls over 15 yards as I recall and every one was overthrown. 2 were long balls down the sidelines and its to be expected because throwing deep is a little different with the wider field. The other was across the middle and should have been intercepted if not for a stone-handed DB dropping it.

I wished they had started him instead of having him come in part way through the 2Q. As it was, he was playing against the ALs 2nd and 3rd string defense and with an OL and receiver group made up mostly of 2nds and camp meat. I would've liked to see what he looked like surrounded by actual starting calibre players.

I have no doubt with enough reps he could be a quality QB and will use the extra width of the field to his advantage. I won't belabour the point but if he's willing to put the time in, pay his dues and learn, he could have a long and successful career here. I still wouldn't bet on it though.

Will play tonight but not starting, We'll be seeing him more in Montreal since he was traded there .... if you havent watched the CFL in a long time if a decent game to watch with 3 downs, 12 players instead of 11 for the NFL, field is 30 yards wider, unlimited motion with receivers(best rule in my opinion)

It will be interesting to see how much Jean-y Football will be used tonight.

He only arrived in Montreal on Sunday so I’m not sure how much they will install for him in 3 practices. He barely knows his receivers names at this point.

They said they have packages for him tonight, your right probably not much, but they are probably desperate to find someone after going through 15 Quarterbacks the last few yrs, Clev of the CFL

I’m sure it helps that Sherman has coached him before and is aware of his capabilities. They may even have a few aTm plays that they adapt for the CFL game that they run.

Back