James Franklin - Resident Toughguy

He didnt lose the game by the 4th down call, though it was moronic. He lost the game throughout because he is not a good in game manager. Whether it was FG attempts or not, punts, schemes defensively, learning in game situations, he blew it throughout. Its not the first time either as noted. He did it against OSU last year, USC year prior and on multiple occassions in year prior but people gave him a pass because of sanctions. Guy is A+ everything else but in game coaching. Its amazing.

Penn State should have won this game 42-17 honestly.

Yeah there is another angle of the video. The fan wasn't all that bad to be honest and even understood that the coach had just come off a devastating loss (so it seems).

thanks for seeing both sides of it. there are definitely two sides. but some posters hate this coach so they jump on him immediately. maybe that penn state ML ?

thanks for seeing both sides of it. there are definitely two sides. but some posters hate this coach so they jump on him immediately. maybe that penn state ML ?

Could be...think a lot of guys though just like to see him get knocked down a few knotches because they feel he runs up the score on sisters of the poor, making him an asshole in a lot of folks' minds... It was a bad call. I don't particularly like the guy, but you can't knock what he's done in either Vandy or Happy Valley.

He didnt lose the game by the 4th down call, though it was moronic. He lost the game throughout because he is not a good in game manager. Whether it was FG attempts or not, punts, schemes defensively, learning in game situations, he blew it throughout. Its not the first time either as noted. He did it against OSU last year, USC year prior and on multiple occassions in year prior but people gave him a pass because of sanctions. Guy is A+ everything else but in game coaching. Its amazing.

Penn State should have won this game 42-17 honestly.

the guy on the other sideline has multiple natties and is a HOFer. maybe that guy coached a little better? penn state absolutely positively has less talent just from the eye test. outside of trace at qb, every guy on tosu looked more athletic and just more gifted overall. penn state gave up almost 400 yds. does the DC get some heat? they went 3/17 on fourth downs, does the penn state OC take some heat?

they lost a ton of talent from last year's team but just lost to perennial top 5 program by 1 pt at home. nothing to hold their heads down about. they are still in the hunt for the CFP without a doubt

I am not a fan of him, I just wanted to point out that the fan was actually sympathetic which makes the reaction of Franklin look worse to be honest.

We've seen athletes and coaches mix it up with opposing fanbases but this is his home field and it also is COLLEGE.

I could go step-by-step on each reaction he had during this but its not really worth it.

The reason this guy moves the needle, imo, with many here is the fact he runs up scores. So, this is vindication of sorts.

I am not a fan of him, I just wanted to point out that the fan was actually sympathetic which makes the reaction of Franklin look worse to be honest.

We've seen athletes and coaches mix it up with opposing fanbases but this is his home field and it also is COLLEGE.

I could go step-by-step on each reaction he had during this but its not really worth it.

The reason this guy moves the needle, imo, with many here is the fact he runs up scores. So, this is vindication of sorts.

all i could hear him say as he was walking forward was "can you give me a minute" or something to that effect. then when he was approaching the tunnel you could see his adverse reaction. it was inaudible what the fan was saying, at least from my vantage point. unless we were right there to listen to everything being said between fan(s) and the coach, we really do not know all that was said. and maybe that particular fan was sympathetic but 8 other dickhead fans were screaming at the coach?

it's pretty clear hear that posters are allowing their personal feelings to get involved and cloud their judgement. as if franklin is the only coach in CFB right now or in recent history, to run up scores. come on guys, look at what those asshats saban, urban, and harbaugh have done. is there a top flight coach who has not run up scores in recent years? if you don't, the pollsters punish you for it.

The running up the score stuff couldn't be more irrelevant. It's a pretty black or white issue. Right vs wrong.

Franklin has made me a ton of money by running up the score. I really don't give a shit. The idea that this has "clouded my judgement" is about as illogical as it gets.

Also when 99.9% of the country is discussing the incident they don't have the foggiest concern or knowledge of Franklin and his impact on covering spreads haha. Again, it's an illogical defense.

The running up the score stuff couldn't be more irrelevant. It's a pretty black or white issue. Right vs wrong.

Franklin has made me a ton of money by running up the score. I really don't give a shit. The idea that this has "clouded my judgement" is about as illogical as it gets.

Also when 99.9% of the country is discussing the incident they don't have the foggiest concern or knowledge of Franklin and his impact on covering spreads haha. Again, it's an illogical defense.

Oh, absolutely.

I was merely referencing this thread in general.

Majent so you‘re cool with Frank begging the fans to go nuts then you wanna „defend the poor human being“ when the fan gets justifiably pissed lol and anyone who disagrees with you has an agenda. Its absurd. You‘re overemotional. The guy fucked up. Big time. Again.

Okay, new thread...

Clay Helton or James Franklin?

BAR you remember one of the posters here last year preseason stating that he thought Helton was an elite coach and several of us including me told him in a nice way that he was off his rocker

Let's keep everything civil in here gents. Nothing is bad yet ... So let's keep it that way. :shake:

we're all friends, just debating. i just cannot imagine many coaches in the top 25 with strong programs, who would have been real happy hearing from any fans let alone sympathetic ones, after losing a great and close ballgame like that one.

take the dislike of mr. franklin out of the equation, and you will find that pretty much any coach would have reacted that way, and we still do not know what fans on near the tunnel walkway may have said to franklin. the kid saying "bad call coach" was in front facing the field. when franklin lost his cool, he had already passed that guy.

you see, i pay extremely close attention to detail, and you can bet your bottom dollar that one of the several dozen fans within earshot of mr. franklin, probably said something to him that he did not appreciate.

:-)

Oh, absolutely.

I was merely referencing this thread in general.

Running up the score is relevant when it comes down to assessing team and institutional culture and respect. its not a surprise tosu and Penn state have such dirty recent histories. The programs have zero class. Fuck them both.

this is simply a clear overreaction from coach franklin haters on the board. saying it is all his fault while the pimply faced 20 year old gets to run his mouth from the stands, safely. uhmmmmm No, you want some? come get some.

From what I saw the fan wasn't even heckling him though, said something along the lines of "Love you coach, but you should have thrown on 4th down"

Okay, new thread...

Clay Helton or James Franklin?

LOL.

Franklin is a winner. Helton is a loser.

I can expound but not sure if it's necessary.

Given what went on there**, PSU should currently be in the dust been of has-been programs like Tenn, nebraska, and yes...USC. Instead, Franklin has them as a top 10 program on the field and in recruiting.

**with respect to having to recruit players to a program that endured the most horrific PR scandal (whether or not you believe it was justified) in the history of sport. Not an easy task to get that program up and running again.

Last edited:
you see, i pay extremely close attention to detail, and you can bet your bottom dollar that one of the several dozen fans within earshot of mr. franklin, probably said something to him that he did not appreciate.

You pay such close attention that you didn't even know what the fan clearly said in the video.

And to make matters worse you're then going to ignore the objective evidence presented but then make assumptions about what might or might not have been said by other fans sitting nearby.

LOLZ

I watched it 4X now. I'm convinced the initial fan statement is not what provoked him. It was someone about 4-6 seats away to the right on the camera but to the left of the first fan who said something and he then had the quick reaction. There were dozens of kids a d adults in that area and it could have been anyone. There was lots of noise also. The only clearly audible voice is the initial fan. No one else is clear especially on the railing on the other side of the fan. No one in the media cares about this. Non story

Penn state still in the thick of things. Great coach.

I think the guy is a douchebag but not because he yelled at a fan in a moment of honest disappointment in himself. It is a character flaw (one I have myself) but not the worst of his flaws in my opinion.

I think he can recruit, I think he can emotionally have his kids ready, I think he can gameplan well for the week but I do think he struggles to manage close games. He is much better at managing covers late in games where other coaches sit on the ball and take the easy win. He is a front runner. I think it is unbecoming of a coach, team and program to do some of the things he does but I suppose covering makes the booster bettors happy and that actually matters to a coaches long term livelihood.

The problem with him is that his anus puckers up in close games against competition.

That program is going to be good for a long while now, so we can expect more Franklinisms to tick some folks off and we can expect him to get other cracks at big time teams in big time games because that is where the program will be going forward.

From a betting perspective, you are gonna have a good spot to play PSU in their next game. MSU likely to be off a victory against Northwestern and PSU off a bye, and with coach taking the blame for the loss against TOSU. I think we see a game from PSU, particularly since MSU is so overrated. We should get good line value on penn state for that one. I think they mop the floor with MSU.

I can’t recall a game where a coach’s decisions cost his team as many points as Franklin on Saturday.

To review:

2 punts inside the OSU 40 (that’s never ever punt territory)

1 punt on 4th &1 from the OSU 49 (that’s a go for it unless you’re up and there’s very little time left)

A red zone field goal on 4th and 3

Didn’t go for 2 when up 19-14 (literally cost them a chance at OT because of this)

Blew 2 timeouts before the last offensive play.

—————-

He was unprepared and raised a lot of questions about whether he’ll ever be able to outcoach Meyer or any other truly premier coach in-game. It was truly a train wreck, he fucked up everything he could in terms of game management.

And the notion that he’s going to examine what’s necessary to go from great to elite ——- he doesn’t even have the self awareness to know what the cause was. He’s just being a blowhard.

The thing is nobody in the country is as good as him at recruiting and organizing staffs while also being an in game upgrade. When the only team you lose to more often than not is OSU, you’re not in bad shape. It’s a frustrating predicament for sure.

I do find it interesting that on the topic of Franklin's worth as a human being there has been far more discussion about scoring a few extra td's at the end of a game than his issues concerning rape accusations at Vandy.

Me thinks gambling forums might not be the best arbiters of morality haha.

I watched it 4X now. I'm convinced the initial fan statement is not what provoked him. It was someone about 4-6 seats away to the right on the camera but to the left of the first fan who said something and he then had the quick reaction. There were dozens of kids a d adults in that area and it could have been anyone. There was lots of noise also. The only clearly audible voice is the initial fan. No one else is clear especially on the railing on the other side of the fan. No one in the media cares about this. Non story

Penn state still in the thick of things. Great coach.

Yes, people in the stands talk shit every game and have been doing so for however long competitive sport has been around. Enduring it is the price you pay for being in the arena.

I agree PSU still has much to play for. No need to jump off a bridge Oct. 1.

Last edited:
I do find it interesting that on the topic of Franklin's worth as a human being there has been far more discussion about scoring a few extra td's at the end of a game than his issues concerning rape accusations at Vandy.

People only talk about rape accusations when they wanna put down the accused. Unless its obvious guilt like Nassar. Thats why conference rivals secretely hope for rape accusations to make a big splash on rival school and don‘t bother to look into the side of the accused.

Yes, people in the stands talk shit every game and have been doing so for however long competitive sport has been around. It's the price you pay for being in the arena.

I agree PSU still has much to play for. No need to jump off a bridge Oct. 1.

Hopefully no let down like vs Sparty last year? Converse scenario with osu and last year it was iowa

People only talk about rape accusations when they wanna put down the accused. Unless its obvious guilt like Nassar. Thats why conference rivals secretely hope for rape accusations to make a big splash on rival school and don‘t bother to look into the side of the accused.

I don't recall whether the rape at Vandy was an accusatory thing or factual. I'd have to look it up. So let's not dive off on a tangent.

The point is a lot of people's priorities are whacked and are primarily influenced by what affects them personally. And in this case it's football fandom and betting outcomes. AKA insignificant shit in the larger order of things.

Last edited:

I think I've said he's a POS enough with that being the central issue I have with him. If was then stated that he's a 'great guy'.

I‘ll never get why false accusers are morally permissible while one gets demonized just for being accused. Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty. Slander sucks

I think I've said he's a POS enough with that being the central issue I have with him. If was then stated that he's a 'great guy'.

My comment wasn't directed at you personally. There's been a lot of Franklin commentary on here by a variety of people and I don't necessarily remember who said what. I just don't recall the rape stuff being brought up much or really at all. Or if it has, then I missed it. Which is certainly possible.

the guy on the other sideline has multiple natties and is a HOFer. maybe that guy coached a little better? penn state absolutely positively has less talent just from the eye test. outside of trace at qb, every guy on tosu looked more athletic and just more gifted overall. penn state gave up almost 400 yds. does the DC get some heat? they went 3/17 on fourth downs, does the penn state OC take some heat?

they lost a ton of talent from last year's team but just lost to perennial top 5 program by 1 pt at home. nothing to hold their heads down about. they are still in the hunt for the CFP without a doubt

Their coaching staff cost them the game. HF and the fact that there players arent as poor as you may think kept them in it. In fact, if they didnt use gimmick plays on the first couple of drives using a backup QB to throw backwards too when they could have continued matriculating the ball down the field, the 4th down call isnt even discussed. PSU is out of the sanction era, they dont have a bunch of slow stiffs running around anymore with no depth. They have talent all over that field though some may be young. Yes, as of this year OSU has more (than just about anyboyd in CFB) but its not like its OSU vs Tulane out there. I said it earlier in week, you cannot underestimate the White OUt at PSU, huge HF advantage worth at least 6 points to me instead of the customary 3.

It leads to another conversation so i ijtentionally avoided it

Franklin's game managing skills remind me of Les Miles- however, Les Miles, while a goofball, had tons of class- even the fans that wanted to hate him because of his offense actually really liked the guy- Franklin is trash and will never win a Natty

Back