Is there a reason not to bet South Carolina?

you have provided great analysis etg. looks like you have access to our premium site on scout or rivals.

im looking forward to the season kicking off. Also, I disagree with you about it being Evans. I would be completely shocked if he started this one even with his experience. We need to go a different route this year. We know we will not be that good and need to get some qb experience for the future. Look for it to be Glennon or Wilson.

Thanks, hopefully you are around to discuss this game in the coming week.

I am surprised you don't think it will be Evans. Honestly to me, if you throw Wilson out there, its because you want to utilize his mobility because there is a lack of confidence in the OL to maintain protection. If you throw Glennon out there you are starting the year already looking at the future. I thought it would be Evans given that the game is on the road and the season is not in the dumps yet.

Can you tell us a little about the defense. I know the DL is the strength (Young/Cash), what about the LB's and DB's.

I got the articles from Rivals, seems over on the NCST board a bunch of fans expect to win this game over SC.

Last edited:
USC report: Offensive line battle continues
rscoppe@greenvillenews.com
COLUMBIA -- The battle continues at left offensive tackle, with four players fighting for the job as the University of South Carolina's opener Aug. 28 against North Carolina State draws closer.
"It's definitely a battle," said sophomore Hutch Eckerson, who spent most of the time with the first unit Monday night at practice. "You've got to come out here and do your best every day ... because if you don't, you'll get moved back in a heartbeat."
Redshirt freshman Quintin Richardson found that out. After working with the No. 1s, he was demoted to No. 3. Junior college transfer Jarriel King worked at No. 2 and some with the first team when Eckerson's not in.
Starter Jamon Meredith, a Simpsonville senior, is also in the mix but has to sit out the first two games because of an NCAA eligibility ruling.
King has been slowed in recent days with a hurt hamstring.
"I've not been in the race for a minute, but I'm back in it now," King said, adding he would scrimmage tonight. He believes a good performance could earn him the No. 1 spot.
"I know that's what coach is basing it on, our performance. That's all it is," he said. "It's going to be a fight."
Eckerson expects it to be a fight that could last throughout the season.
"They made it clear they're going to put the best five guys out there," he said. "Whoever does good that week is going to play in the game. I think that's fair."
• King said the transition from defensive end to the offensive line has been "weird." No longer is his first priority to hit someone ó and he has to think now, too.
"I don't like to think when I play football. I just want to run and hit. My coach says defense you don't have to be so smart. Just see the ball, tackle ball," King said, quickly adding he wasn't saying defensive players weren't smart.
"That's my theory, 'See ball, tackle ball."'
And his simplified offensive theory? There isn't one, he said. "It's not simple," he said. Assistant John Hunt grades "us on anything and everything."
"Coach hunt is the warden," King said. "We can do our steps right. We can make the block. We can probably pancake somebody, but our head wasn't looking in the right direction at that time. So that's a minus right there."
• TB Taylor Rank continued with the first unit ahead of Brian Maddox as incumbent starter Mike Davis remained out with a virus. Also sick was TE Mike Triglia. ... MLB Jasper Brinkley (ankle) was "pretty close to full go," coach Steve Spurrier said, while DT Marque Hall (knee) was doing a "little bit."

Gamecocks and NC St are both scrimmaging tonight, both are closed to public, hopefully have some posts later tonight with some updates.

On a Jasper Brinkley note, Gamecockcentral has an analyst who fields questions everyday, he is as close as you can get to the team and he is a straight shooter. Of course one question asked many times is the health of B52, one poster asks:

Tony, I don't like the silence on Jap. I am hearing a couple of grumblings that he may miss the first 2 games, which in the scheme of the things that is not the end of the world. What i am worried about is the lingering part of this kind of injury. To do anything special this year we need him 100%. Please talk me back off the ledge.

- There is no "silence" where he's concerned. He practiced full speed last night.

Thanks, hopefully you are around to discuss this game in the coming week.

I am surprised you don't think it will be Evans. Honestly to me, if you throw Wilson out there, its because you want to utilize his mobility because there is a lack of confidence in the OL to maintain protection. If you throw Glennon out there you are starting the year already looking at the future. I thought it would be Evans given that the game is on the road and the season is not in the dumps yet.

Can you tell us a little about the defense. I know the DL is the strength (Young/Cash), what about the LB's and DB's.

I got the articles from Rivals, seems over on the NCST board a bunch of fans expect to win this game over SC.

I'll have more on the game at a later time. I am shocked to read that last statement though. I don't know too many people that think that that follow the team closely. With O-line, QB, health issues, and LB, Secondary concerns, it would be hard to think it. Im still catching up on my reading after getting back from my honeymoon, but ill add more.

Glennon to redshirt. Still undecided between evans and wilson.

eugene starting rb with brown behind him.
Hill starting te.

Final Scrimmage Statistics

RECEIVING
Jarvis Williams: 5 catches, 81 yards
Owen Spencer: 3 catches, 30 yards
Andre Brown: 4 catches, 20 yards

RUSHING
Curtis Underwood: 12 carries, 43 yards
Andre Brown: 11 carries, 33 yards

DEFENSE
Dwayne Maddox: 7 tackles, 1 tackle for a loss
JC Neal: 6 tackles, 1 tackle for a loss
Robbie Leonard: 6 tackles, 1 tackle for a loss
LeRoy Burgess: 5 tackles
Markus Kuhn: 2 tackles, 2 tackles for a loss
Shea McKeen: 1 tackle for a loss
DeAndre Morgan: 1 INT
Justin Byers: 1 INT

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Carolina scrimmaged Tuesday night for the final time before next Thursday's season opener against NC State. The offense was not impressive during the scrimmage, but more importantly it avoided the mistakes that plagued it during previous scrimmages. Afterwards, Steve Spurrier mentioned a few positives and a few disappointments, but was largely indifferent to the proceedings.
</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>

“It was nothing spectacular tonight,” he said several times, “nothing big happened. We had a bunch of plays, and nothing happened very good. The defense looked better than the offense. They gave up a couple of big balls. Other than that, the offense didn’t have much going.”

The offensive struggles came as no surprise for two reasons. First, although quarterbacks Tommy Beecher and Chris Smelley played, the majority of the established players were held out of the scrimmage. Starters Kenny McKinley, Jared Cook, Justin Sorensen, Heath Batchelor, and Garrett Anderson combined to play one snap (by McKinley). Still, Spurrier expected more from his offense.

“The offense is struggling,” he said. “We’re going to get better though. We didn’t play our top guys, [but] I thought we could make a few more first downs than we did. We’ve got a lot of work to do to see if we can make a few first downs here and there right now.”

As bad as he made it sound at times, Spurrier was nowhere near as pessimistic as he was a week ago, when he was predicting doom and gloom after Beecher struggled in a scrimmage.

“We're generally pretty slow at this time,” noted Spurrier. “We’re always slow against our defense, no matter how good or how bad our defense is. We look better on the practice field than we do in here. I don’t know why, but that’s not a good omen, is it?”

Somehow, Spurrier found a positive in that problem.

“Sometimes it’s good that you don’t get confident this early in the year, thinking that you’re good,” he continued. “We certainly don’t think we’re very good right now.”

Beecher did not have an outstanding scrimmage, going just 5-12 for 118 yards. He did toss a 57-yard touchdown pass to Jason Barnes and avoided throwing an interception. While confirming that Beecher is the unquestioned starter, Spurrier said that Beecher did “all right.”

“He just didn’t have a lot of time, didn’t have a lot of guys open,” said Spurrier. “He didn’t do much. Chris Smelley probably did a little better overall. Maybe he had a little more time, maybe had a guy open. I don’t know, we’ll have to watch the tape and see what happened.”

For all the talk of various struggles, Spurrier did utter some golden words for Gamecock fans.

“We’ll start getting ready for the game probably tomorrow,” said Spurrier, and that means kickoff is right around the corner.

Brinkley confident he will be ready for opener

Linebacker Jasper Brinkley was one of several starters who sat out the scrimmage. Brinkley has been plagued by a heel injury, and he is sitting out the scrimmages as a precaution. Just eight days from kickoff, Brinkley is confident he will be ready to play against N.C. State. The senior All-SEC selection said that he is able to run straight-line, but he still feels pain when he is shifting and cutting.

“I’m like 90% [healthy],” Brinkley said Tuesday night.

New defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson worried recently about the lack of reps Brinkley has gotten in the new scheme. He thought that even though Brinkley is sitting in on meetings, watching film, and studying the playbook, that work is no substitute for actually being on the field and reacting to what is in front of him. Brinkley is not nearly as concerned about the lack of physical reps, noting that he gets plenty of “mental reps.”

“I’m pretty good at getting those mental reps,” he insisted. “I can catch on pretty quick.”

Although he was careful to say he only looked at the defense, Brinkley was able to offer an analysis of the offensive performance during the scrimmage.

“The offense didn’t do too good, and had some minor mental mistakes, but that’s why we have film,” he said. “We’ll go in and correct those mistakes and come out tomorrow and fix them.”

It may seem like, with just more than a week to go, a team should be fine-tuning rather than correcting mistakes. Brinkley stated emphatically that he has no fears whether the Gamecocks will be ready when the Wolfpack comes to town.

“I think we’ll be ready come August 28th,” said Brinkley. “We’ve got some great coaches, and I know they’re going to have us well-prepared.”

Notes:

- Running back Mike Davis again missed practice, this time with a stomach illness. In his absence, Taylor Rank worked with the first team.

- Wide receiver Joe Hills returned to practice and caught one pass for 28 yards.

- Spurrier fell one short of the “record” he set in the previous scrimmage for quarterbacks played. Michael McQueeny has an eye infection that kept him out, meaning only six quarterbacks participated in the scrimmage. McQueeny still had a better night than Stephen Garcia, who went 0-5 with two interceptions.

- The quarterbacks did spread around their throws. Only one receiver, walk-on Stephen Flint, caught more than one pass.

- The Gamecocks practice again Wednesday night. That practice is closed to the public.

Stats:

SCORING PLAYS:

Jason Barnes 57-yard pass from Tommy Beecher (Ryan Succop kick)
Ryan Succop 22-yard field goal
Taylor Rank 1-yard run (Succop kick)
D.L. Moore 13-yard pass from Reid McCollum

PASSING:

Tommy Beecher 5-12-0-118; Chris Smelley 5-11-0-83; Reid McCollum 3-5-1-31; Aramis Hillary 1-3-0-15; Stephen Garcia 0-5-2-0; Zac Brindise 0-1-0-0

RUSHING:

Taylor Rank 5-24; Kenny Miles 8-23; Brian Maddox 5-14; Eric Baker 2-10; Bobby Wallace 4-9; Stephen Garcia 3-7; Zac Brindise 1-2; Aramis Hillary 1-1; C.C. Whitlock 1-(-3); Reid McCollum 1-(-5); Chris Smelley 1-(-7); Tommy Beecher 5-(-20)

RECEIVING:

Stephen Flint 2-23; Jason Barnes 1-57; Moe Brown 1-52; Matt Clements 1-29; Joe Hills 1-28; Weslye Saunders 1-13; D.L. Moore 1-13; Alex McGrath 1-10; Brian Maddox 1-8; Taylor Rank 1-6; Bryan Kingrey 1-5; Eric Baker 1-5; Dion LeCorn 1-(-2)
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Thanks for the updates Wolfpack.

Saw today at work that Glennon would RS so that leaves Wilson-Evans to start

I'm not at all concerned with how the SC scrimmage went, it was another glorified practice with the 2's and 3's to decide who will get reps and who will get the RS this year. From all accounts when Beecher is running with the 1's, including the OL, he hits his target and looks fine but when he gets in these scrimmages with the 2's and 3's and the protection is not there and the timing of the routes are off, his numbers look like they do. The best thing I can take away from this is that least there were no INTS from Beecher. Spurrier is a perfectionist, he doesn't care who the OL-WR's are, he wants his QB's, no matter who is on that play to be on target so of course he isn't pleased with the performance of any of them.

I would prefer Wilson because this is Evans last year and I don't think Evans will get us 8 wins (don't think anyone will). I would much rather get someone some experience. Wilson is very very mobile and this will help with our patchwork OL that we have rotating in and out. Evans did take us to win 4 out of the last 6 last year which isnt half bad but he is so frail and non evasive.

What I prefer and what I think they will go with will probably be two different things though. I could be wrong though.

From what I hear Wilson looked very good last night and improves snap after snap.

Well, we had some struggles with mobile QB's last year so if he is the starting QB, I would expect to see SC run the 4-2-5 defense for most of the game, this is the exact type of situation it was designed for and pretty soon this will probably be the base defense.

Wilson also plays baseball so he has a pretty strong arm I assume?

August 20, 2008

O'Brien not Ready to Name QB

Matt Carter and Jacey Zembal

TheWolfpacker.com Editor
<SCRIPT language=javascript>document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in The Wolves' Den

North Carolina State second-year coach Tom O'Brien didn't name who would be the starting quarterback for the season opener at South Carolina on Aug. 28 at his Wednesday press conference.

O'Brien did deliver important quarterback news that freshman Mike Glennon is expected to redshirt this season.

NC State's quarterback race is now down to redshirt senior Daniel Evans, the incumbent, and redshirt freshman Russell Wilson.

O'Brien also announced that redshirt sophomore outside linebacker John Ware is academically suspended by the school and is out indefinitely.

Click below to listen to the audio interview with O'Brien, and a complete transcription will be up later today.

<CENTER><!--Tom O\'Brien Aug. 20 PC (16:41)-->Tom O'Brien audio press conference (16:41)<!--Tom O\'Brien Aug. 20 PC (16:41)--></CENTER>

Do you know who the starting quarterback is?

"No."

When will you announce the starting quarterback

"When we have to exchange with South Carolina, and we'll do it then. If this was a normal week, we'd be doing this on Saturday. No sense rushing what we are doing right now. We just finished up the scrimmage last night.

"I have made the decision to redshirt [quarterback Mike] Glennon. He's an exceptional talent, he's just not ready to handle some of the situations. That has become apparent in the last scrimmage that we had, prior to this one. We have gotten together and talked about it. He's fine with that. It is down to [Daniel] Evans and [Russell] Wilson. [Harrison] Beck will be the third quarterback."

Could you play both Daniel Evans and Russell Wilson?

"It's possible but I don't know that. My first couple of years at BC, we had these situations. We started Matt Hasselbeck my first year, but then the next year was Timmy Hasselbeck and Scott Mutryn. Mutryn started, but then we had Hasselbeck and Brian St. Pierre. We've been in these situations, and we would put the other guy in the game sometime in the second quarter, just to get the starter out. It depends on who it is. If it is Russell Wilson, then maybe we will take him and put Daniel in, just so he can settle down and look at the defense. I can't answer that right now, but I've done it before."

How much does it help to have a guy with the character of Daniel Evans on the sideline or the field?

"I think that is true, but that is also true of Russell Wilson and true of Mike Glennon, or any of them, the three of them. That is not taking anything away from Beck. All of those kids are the same way. I think that is one of the good things, is that I trust them all."

Have you made a decision who the starting quarterback will be?

"No. We scrimmaged last night and looked at it, and then looked at it again this morning. We met and then went to a coaches meeting this morning, and then do other duties on campus. We'll get together again and go over the film this afternoon, and then we will talk tomorrow and work hard on trying to figure out not only the quarterback position, but all positions as we start our preparation for South Carolina tomorrow."

Were Wilson and Evans playing half the snaps?

"We only had two days of practice before we scrimmaged last night. They got most of the work, and then we gave Harrison a little work last night too because he'll be the third quarterback."

How many positions are unsettled?

"I think the offensive line. We still haven't put the five guys who will be the starters are. We don't have that at fullback. We don't have that at wide receiver. We don't have that at quarterback. [Jamelle] Eugene will start and Andre Brown will backup at tailback. That is the only position on offense, and Anthony Hill at tight end [that is settled]. We have two of them done.

"Defensively, we are pretty well set at on the interior, but I'm not sure about the ends. The linebackers are pretty well set. The secondary, we are probably set on the starters, but it is who is going to back up."

Have you known for a while that Glennon would redshirt and did you keep him in the equation to get him more experience?

"I thought he was in the mix until I decided that he wasn't after the third scrimmage. A lot of the third scrimmage, it was game-ending situations where things happen fast, and you are in the two-minute offense, you are in the four-minute offense. A lot of things that win games for you at the end of games. A lot of it is the experience factor and the college game moves a lot faster than the high school game did. Getting signals, knowing what the clock is doing. It only comes with experience. He has everything else, he just needs time to soak [it in]."

Will Glennon see the benefit of that extra year?

"What we have done with redshirt quarterbacks in the past, and it goes through all the guys at BC that we have redshirted that came and played, they'll go to every quarterback meeting. They'll be on every game plan and situation. I'll take him to all the away games, just so he travels, so he learns how to do that part of it. We expect him to prepare each and every week like he is the starting quarterback. That is every guy that I had at BC has done the same thing. That is an advantage that way, so hopefully he'll learn. The best way to learn is to be on the practice field. We won't do that with him until spring practice."

What are some of the things you are seeing with Russell Wilson that is making this a tough decision?

"The more he plays, the better he gets, the more comfortable he feels. Everything goes fast. The more you play, the more it slows down. Your execution gets better. The more he plays, the more , he executes the offense much better."

When do you plan on swapping depth charts?

"We called South Carolina and asked them when they want to do it. Whenever they want do it, we'll do it. Maybe, they have some similar situations. I don't think so, but generally, if this was a normal game week, we'd do it on Sunday after a Saturday game. Last year, we did this on a Monday before the first game. Whenever they want to do it, we'll do it."

What if they want to do it right now?

"I'm not ready, so they will have to wait."

How many players will you be bringing to South Carolina?

"As many as we feel we have to take to win. Obviously, he likes to throw the football around, so we might bring a couple extra defensive lineman to do things like that. I don't like to travel with extra guys, but only guys that we feel will get into the football game and help us win."

Will you bring 70 players to South Carolina?

"If that is what we feel we have to take to play special teams and everything else to win a football game, that is what we'll do. We are taking a bus, so we'll have a lot of room."

How did the team do in the situation scrimmage after you said they didn't do well last year?

"They are much better this year because they understood what is going on. It gets confusing. On the scoreboard, you don't put up who is ahead and who is behind, when you are playing so many different teams. Everything else in the program, as we go through it in another year, as they get used to seeing the same thing over again with the same coaches, in the same system, they are better at playing those situations to."

So you won't expect a repeat of Kevin Smith and UCF?

"I can't ever say that. I would hope not."

How do you stimulate the atmosphere of South Carolina?

"I don't think you can do that. I've never been one of the guys that pipe in all the noise and all that. I don't know if that does any good anyway. You just have to do the best job that you can to prepare to win and then you have to count on your senior leadership.

"The problem is that we don't have that many seniors, those guys that have played a lot. When you look we moved Bedics to the offensive line with Crouch and Green. You got Hill. You've got Evans and Brown, but I think that's all the seniors you've got on offense. Defense you've got Holmes, Willis, Robbie Leonard and J.C. Neal and Jeremy Gray. That's not a lot of senior football. I think there is going to be more, there might be more freshmen or walk-ons on the two-deep than there are seniors."

Regardless of which starter, you confident you have a guy you can win with?

"Yes."

You can win with either guy?

"Right."

Have you talked about the injuries with your team?

"No, I haven't said that because we are still in the practice mode. The thing with fall practice is that those guys get nicked up everyday, one where he may be out today and back tomorrow. It's kind of a revolving door, so it's kind of senseless to talk about it."

Is Jamelle Eugene hurt?

"Not really."

So he should be able to go against South Carolina?

"[Yes], he's not hurt more than anybody else has been. Last night we had to give Andre a lot of work so that's what we did because he has not had any work the last few scrimmages."

So he should be there for South Carolina?

"Yep."

Were you pleased with Andre Brown's performance?

"Yeah, I think that he came back, he ran hard. He ran with pretty good vision. His conditioning needs to improve, but that's why we tried to get him as much work as we could last night."

Do you want to have multiple guys carrying the ball or one guy carrying the load?

"I think that'll play itself out how we rotate the backs in and out. Jamelle has proven that he can carry the load and play a lot. Andre's a pretty good back, too. If it's 2-to-1 or 2-to-2 or however we rotate, those things are things that we are going to have to decide on."

Where is John Ware right now?

"John Ware has been suspended from school.

Is it an academic suspension?

"[Yes]"

Does that mean you don't expect him back?

"He's suspended. That doesn't mean he's out. He has to clear up some things academically, and he's going to come back."

He was playing at linebacker?

"Yes, we moved him back to linebacker."

Have you ever gone through a season two in a row with the injuries and such?

"I think I've been through it every time we've been in a program where we've started new, so I think that's to be expected at this point, and more times in the second than the first some times."

What other redshirt quarterbacks have you had?

"Quinton Porter, I think we redshirted Peterson a year, no Peterson was JC, we brought him in. Brian St. Pierre, Tim Hasselbeck, Mutryn was a redshirt, but he was a redshirt by the time I got there. So that's, you go I had Matt Hasselbeck, I had Scott Mutryn who was a redshirt, Tim was a redshirt, St. Pierre was a redshirt, Quinton Porter was a redshirt, Peterson was a JC kid and Ryan was a redshirt."

Excited or nervous at all to go out there Thursday in the first nationally televised game?

I'm excited. I think it's a big game and it's fun to go play that type of game. I think the last I played there was '87. It's been a long time since I've been there but it's probably about the same. I went down there with Virginia."

What are the long term benefits of playing in the first nationally televised game or is that overstated?

"I think there are long term benefits. It's national television, everybody gets to know about your program, where you are. We're going to find out where we are. We're going up against a good SEC football team, and we're going to go down there and play the best football game we can and see what happens. Nothing but positive can come from this being on national TV."

What worries you most about South Carolina?

"With all their experience back, they got 10 starters back on defense and then they are getting three injured starters back, so we're going to try to have to stay on the field best we can because if they have the ball all night and throwing it around, that's going to really put our defense in a disadvantage, so somehow we are going to have to find a way to make first downs and stay on the field.

All week on opening games you always worry about your kicking game because as much as you work on it and scrimmage it and stuff, you never know what's going to happen the first night when you punt the ball, snap the ball, do whatever you are going to do."

Have you ever coached against Steve Spurrier as a head coach?

"[No]"

Is there still a battle for placekicker or is it going to be Josh Czajkowski?

"Josh is going to be the placekicker."

How has he done in camp?

"He's had a nice, it was a little tough the other night in the rain, so I think that was good for him. In the rain you got to concentrate, and concentrate more and harder on what you're doing. You can't take anything for granted. We're glad we got the rain and glad that under his belt."

Do you know who the special teams quarterback is?

"I'll tell you who the third string is and we are redshirting. I wish I knew."

RB Mike Davis (illness, shoulder) practiced for the first time in about two weeks. Spurrier said Davis looked “healthy and ready to go,” but stopped short of naming Davis the starter.

We sure that Brinkley is going ETG ??

August 21, 2008

<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("[FONT=Franklin Gothic Heavy, Impact, Arial Black, Arial]Sapp Ready If Needed To Replace Brinkley[/FONT]
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "Sapp Ready If Needed To Replace Brinkley "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "Sapp Ready If Needed To Replace Brinkley"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT><OBJECT id=rvflash codeBase=http://active.macromedia.com/flash2/cabs/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0 height=60 width=620 classid=clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000>

<EMBED SRC=http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf?h1=Sapp+Ready+If+Needed+To+Replace+Brinkley+&h2=&lwidth=620&lheight=60&lshadow=1&sFontColor=000000&sLink= WIDTH=620 HEIGHT=60 SALIGN=lt QUALITY=best SCALE=noborder wmode=transparent ID=rvflash NAME=rvflash BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF TYPE=application/x-shockwave-flash PLUGINSPAGE=http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash></EMBED></OBJECT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT></P>David Cloninger
GamecockCentral.com Staff Writer
<SCRIPT language=javascript>document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in The Insiders Forum

Ellis Johnson didn't pull any punches.

"Jasper (Brinkley)'s starting to get more and more work," South Carolina's defensive coordinator said after Wednesday's practice. "If he can practice a good week of practice before the first game, he'll be ready to go. If he can't, Marvin Sapp's had a great camp, (Eric) Norwood's had a good camp at Will linebacker. Also Shaq Wilson and (Dustin Lindsey) and even Rodney (Paulk) can play either side."

He was so flippant it bore repeating. That was a consideration to sit Brinkley, the heart and soul of the Gamecocks' defense, if his tender left ankle was still nagging in a week, right?

"Right," Johnson said.

Everybody remembers -- not that many want to recall -- what happened to USC's defense when Brinkley went down with a knee injury last year. When he sprained his left ankle in preseason camp this year, of course he was told to stay off it because the Gamecocks wanted to see the hulking No. 52 out there on Aug. 28.

It has gotten better, and Brinkley's shown no ill effects of the knee surgery that cost him most of 2007.

But the ankle's still not 100 percent, and Johnson seemed to be saying that if it wasn't by close to gametime, he wasn't going to risk hurting his biggest playmaker in Game 1 when he was going to need him for Games 2-12.

One could almost hear the gasps coming from all corners of the Gamecocks' fan base. Odds are Brinkley will start against N.C. State, but if he can't or has to come out after a couple of snaps just to avoid any bad karma, so be it.

Johnson said USC is prepared for it, and Sapp is a big reason why.

"My feeling is I feel like I've been working in the shadows and I have my opportunity," Sapp said. "I feel like I've been kind of underneath the surface."

Sapp, although he had to sacrifice his entire spring practice because of a hernia, should be seeing a lot of early time this year, whether it be as Brinkley's stand-in or playing beside him. With a stacked depth chart, Sapp knows he can't take it easy or his senior year will end like his junior year -- in disappointment.

It was Sapp who got the call at middle linebacker last year when Brinkley went down, and although he contributed 61 tackles (50 solo), the intensity Brinkley brought to the unit was clearly missing.

With more defensive starters pulling up lame by the week, the Gamecocks were gashed for 1,631 yards (989 rushing) and 122 points in their last three games. It wasn't an uncommon sight to see Darren McFadden, Tim Tebow or James Davis to be picking garnet and black out of their spikes as not uncoincidentally, USC lost its last three games.

Knowing he'd probably be getting Brinkley back in the middle for 2008, Sapp didn't take it easy one bit. With Norwood, a guy whose practice jersey is forever ripped at the seams, switching to linebacker and the defense switching to using a two-LB set most of the time, Sapp knew his days could be numbered.

He committed himself to improving, swelling those Popeye arms until it looked like that can of spinach was firmly embedded in them full-time. If Brinkley needs a breather or a replacement this year, fine.

Sapp says he can handle it.

"Primarily, we have to shut down the run," he said. "We have to be very disciplined, that means we've got to make less mistakes as possible.

"I think they're looking for me to be more of a cutback kind of player ... I'm not too keen on cutbacks. I'm just trying the best I can. We all have to give 110 percent."

The Gamecocks' defensive line is deep and talented, ditto the linebackers and the secondary. But it's the linebackers who are going to get the immediate test at solving the late-season woes of 2007 -- stopping the run.

If practices and scrimmages are any indication, they're doing well against USC's stable of running ponies. Coach Steve Spurrier said Wednesday the linebackers cover the receivers and backs "like a wet blanket" and was a big reason the offense wasn't looking so hot through three weeks of preseason camp.

But as Sapp knows, USC's backs are familiar in their cuts, spins and jukes. N.C. State's, Vanderbilt's, No. 1 Georgia's, etc. mostly are not.

Brinkley is biding his time, trying his best to keep his ever-running motor idling until it's time to get on the field. But if it throws a sparkplug in seven days, he said his safety switch -- Sapp -- will be ready.

"I can only help myself by getting better," he said after USC's last scrimmage. "But we've got plenty of guys behind me. Marvin's doing well, Eric's doing well … I'm aiming to be there, but so are the rest of the guys."

"It's kind of different because we've switched the Mike and Will a little bit, but it's different because we switched the name a little bit also," Sapp said. "Last year we had a different gap plan, this way I think we have a better way for our linebackers to split the gaps.

"Nothing too different from what we've been doing. I just follow (Brinkley's) lead and fit the scheme."

VK, you beat me to posting this article about Sapp.

Tony Morrel, the gamecockcentral insider, believes Jasper is no less than 90% and he has been running around out there in the recent practices. Obviously it is something to monitor this week with his ankle (not the knee) but I don't think you are going to keep this beast off the field, he won't let them. He said the other day something along the lines of "I just want to pound someone". I think if he was 75% or so, he would not play in this game but from what I understand as of now, Brinkley is starting. I doubt he plays much on passing downs which helps the gamecocks more than it hurts them but he will be out there to counter the run in the 4-2-5. I'm more worried about Darian Stewart not being back than Jasper not playing.

Well, we had some struggles with mobile QB's last year so if he is the starting QB, I would expect to see SC run the 4-2-5 defense for most of the game, this is the exact type of situation it was designed for and pretty soon this will probably be the base defense.

Wilson also plays baseball so he has a pretty strong arm I assume?

Wilson does play baseball and has a pretty solid arm. He is what we need because our oline wont be able to keep the SC defense at bay.

Reporting this from work, website blocked so format all crazy. Wilson is the starting QB.Wilson gets starting nod at QB Wilson gets starting nod at QBMatt CarterTheWolfpacker.com EditorTalk about it in The Wolves' DenThe long awaited and eagerly anticipated news about who will be under center for NC State in the season opener against South Carolina next Thursday has been answered.Russell Wilson.The redshirt freshman was named the starter for the game by Tom O'Brien, ending a nearly-month long competition. Wilson edged out fifth-year senior Daniel Evans for the job."As I've said from the beginning, the decision would be made on who we feel gives us the best opportunity to win the football game, and right now we feel Russell Wilson will do that," said O'Brien. "He will be our starter as we go but we certainly feel that Daniel [Evans] has some things he can contribute to this football team, as well. Russell is the starter and Daniel is the backup, but as Daniel knows he is one play away from being the starter.""I'm excited to be the starter," Wilson said. "I believe Daniel and I can both step in and help this team win some games. The team is really excited to go down to South Carolina and we hope it will be a great game."Earlier redshirt junior Harrison Beck and redshirt sophomore Justin Burke had been eliminated from the competition. Burke since decided to transfer to Louisville.Beck will serve as the No. 3 quarterback in 2008. Highly touted freshman Mike Glennon, who was officially eliminated following the team's third scrimmage, will redshirt.The 5-foot-11, 191 pound Wilson was the MVP of the offensive scout team last year. As a senior at The Collegiate School in Richmond, Va., Wilson completed 185 of 310 passes for 3,009 yards and 34 touchdowns with seven interceptions. He also ran 143 times for 1,132 yards and 18 more scores.Wilson also plays second base for the baseball team, playing in 32 games and making 16 starts. In 71 at bats, Wilson had a .296 average with a pair of homers and eight runs batted in while stealing six bases in seven attempts."I'm very excited about the opportunity to play on Thursday," Evans said. "I know Russell is going to do a great job. Hopefully we can both help the team go down and compete against the Gamecocks

i've skimmed through some of this thread, so have we come to a consensus around here that SC at -12/12.5 is a pretty good play to get the season rolling....?

you are on the ball etg...glad we are giving wilson a shot...

here's the depth chart

<TABLE borderColor=#c0c0c0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=2>2008 NC State Organizational Chart</TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE borderColor=#c0c0c0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TD class=player bgColor=#cc0000 colSpan=5>Offense</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=4>Quarterback</TD></TR><TR><!--QBs--><TR><TD class=player>16</TD><TD class=player>Russell Wilson</TD><TD class=player>5-11/191</TD><TD class=player>Fr.*</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>7</TD><TD class=player>Daniel Evans</B></TD><TD class=player>6-2/200</TD><TD class=player>Gr.*</TD></TR><!--END QBs--><TR><TD class=player align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=4>Halfback</TD></TR><!--Halfbacks--><TR><TD class=player>29</TD><TD class=player>Jamelle Eugene</TD><TD class=player>5-10/195</TD><TD class=player>Jr.*</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>24</TD><TD class=player>Andre Brown </TD><TD class=player>6-0/228</TD><TD class=player>Sr.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=4>Fullback</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>27</TD><TD class=player>Harrison Ritcher</TD><TD class=player>5-11/215</TD><TD class=player>So.*</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>47</TD><TD class=player>Taylor Gentry </TD></B><TD class=player>6-2/215</TD><TD class=player>Fr.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=4>Wide Receiver</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>13</TD><TD class=player>Owen Spencer</TD><TD class=player>6-3/180</TD><TD class=player>So.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>15</TD><TD class=player>Darrell Davis </TD><TD class=player>6-4/212</TD><TD class=player>So.*</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=4>Wide Receiver</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>5</TD><TD class=player>Jarvis Williams</TD><TD class=player>6-4/205</TD><TD class=player>So.*</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>80</TD><TD class=player>Geron James </TD><TD class=player>6-3/220</TD><TD class=player>Jr.*</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=4>Tight End</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>83</TD><TD class=player>Anthony Hill</TD><TD class=player>6-6/265</TD><TD class=player>Sr.*</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>89</TD><TD class=player>Matt Kushner</TD><TD class=player>6-4/265</TD><TD class=player>Jr.*</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=4>Left Tackle</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>73</TD><TD class=player>Julian Williams</TD><TD class=player>6-5/305</TD><TD class=player>Jr.*</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>61</TD><TD class=player>Matt White</TD><TD class=player>6-6/325</TD><TD class=player>Sr.*</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=4>Left Guard</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>75</TD><TD class=player>John Bedics</TD><TD class=player>6-4/295</TD><TD class=player>Sr.*</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>70</TD><TD class=player>Jake Vermiglio</TD><TD class=player>6-5/315</TD><TD class=player>So.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=4>Center</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>58</TD><TD class=player>Teddy Larsen </TD><TD class=player>6-2/295</TD><TD class=player>Jr.*</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>74</TD><TD class=player>Andy Barbee</TD><TD class=player>6-3/310</TD><TD class=player>Jr.*</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=4>Right Guard</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>60</TD><TD class=player>Meares Green</TD><TD class=player>6-4/306</TD><TD class=player>Sr.*</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>76</TD><TD class=player>Curtis Crouch</TD><TD class=player>6-5/320</TD><TD class=player>Sr.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=4>Right Tackle</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>50</TD><TD class=player>Jeraill McCuller</TD><TD class=player>6-7/330</TD><TD class=player>Jr.*</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>71</TD><TD class=player>Gary Gregory</TD><TD class=player>6-4/305</TD><TD class=player>So.*</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE borderColor=#c0c0c0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TD class=player bgColor=#cc0000 colSpan=4>Special Teams</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=4>Place Kicker</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>36</TD><TD class=player>Josh Czajkowski</TD><TD class=player>5-9/184</TD><TD class=player>So.*</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=4>Punter</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>26</TD><TD class=player>Bradley Pierson</TD><TD class=player>5-9/163</TD><TD class=player>Sr.*</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>38</TD><TD class=player>Jeff Ruiz</TD><TD class=player>6-2/185</TD><TD class=player>Jr.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=4>Long Snapper</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>56</TD><TD class=player>Corey Tedder</TD><TD class=player>6-1/212</TD><TD class=player>Jr.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>57</TD><TD class=player>Michael Maurer</TD><TD class=player>5-11/225</TD><TD class=player>Jr.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=4>Holder</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>26</TD><TD class=player>Bradley Pierson</TD><TD class=player>5-9/163</TD><TD class=player>Sr.*</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>56</TD><TD class=player>Corey Tedder</TD><TD class=player>6-1/212</TD><TD class=player>Jr.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=4>Kick Returner</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>29</TD><TD class=player>Jamelle Eugene</TD><TD class=player>5-10/195</TD><TD class=player>Jr.*</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>24</TD><TD class=player>Andre Brown </TD><TD class=player>6-0/228</TD><TD class=player>Sr.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=4>Punt Returner</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>29</TD><TD class=player>Jamelle Eugene</TD><TD class=player>5-10/195</TD><TD class=player>Jr.*</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>6</TD><TD class=player>T.J. Graham </TD><TD class=player>6-0/180</TD><TD class=player>Jr.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD vAlign=top><TABLE borderColor=#c0c0c0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TD class=player bgColor=#cc0000 colSpan=5>Defense</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=4>Left Defensive End</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>91</TD><TD class=player>Markus Kuhn</TD><TD class=player>6-5/280</TD><TD class=player>So.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>98</TD><TD class=player>Shea McKeen </TD><TD class=player>6-5/250</TD><TD class=player>Jr.</TD></TR></TR><TR><TD class=player align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=4>Left Defensive Tackle</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>96</TD><TD class=player>Antoine Holmes </TD><TD class=player>6-2/281</TD><TD class=player>Sr.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>94</TD><TD class=player>Keith Willis Jr.</TD><TD class=player>6-1/284</TD><TD class=player>Sr.*</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=4>Right Defensive Tackle</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>49</TD><TD class=player>Alan-Michael Cash </TD><TD class=player>6-1/286</TD><TD class=player>Jr.*</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>95</TD><TD class=player>LeRoy Burgess </TD><TD class=player>6-1/300</TD><TD class=player>Jr.</TD></TR><TR></TD><TD class=player align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=4>Right Defensive End</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>97</TD><TD class=player>Willie Young</TD><TD class=player>6-4/243</TD><TD class=player>Jr.*</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>11</TD><TD class=player>Audi Augustin </TD><TD class=player>6-2/253</TD><TD class=player>So.*</TD></TR></TR><TR><TD class=player align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=4>Weakside Linebacker</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>56</TD><TD class=player>Nate Irving </TD><TD class=player>6-1/225</TD><TD class=player>So.*</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>41</TD><TD class=player>Dwayne Maddox </TD><TD class=player>6-2/225</TD><TD class=player>Fr.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player colSpan=4></TD></TR><TR><TD class=player align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=4>Middle Linebacker</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>44</TD><TD class=player>Ray Michel</TD><TD class=player>6-0/224</TD><TD class=player>Jr.*</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>7</TD><TD class=player>Sterling Lucas </TD><TD class=player>6-2/220</TD><TD class=player>Fr.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=4>Strongside Linebacker</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>34</TD><TD class=player>Robbie Leonard</TD><TD class=player>6-0/205</TD><TD class=player>Sr.*</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>42</TD><TD class=player>Audie Cole </B></TD><TD class=player>6-5/229</TD><TD class=player>Fr.*</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=4>Boundary Cornerback</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>30</TD><TD class=player>Jeremy Gray</TD><TD class=player>6-2/188</TD><TD class=player>Gr.*</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>20</TD><TD class=player>Dominique Ellis</TD><TD class=player>5-11/190</TD><TD class=player>Fr.</TD><TR><TD class=player align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=4>Field Safety</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>14</TD><TD class=player>J.C. Neal </TD><TD class=player>5-11/195</TD><TD class=player>Sr.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>32</TD><TD class=player>Jimmaul Simmons</TD><TD class=player>6-2/200</TD><TD class=player>Fr.*</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=4>Boundary Safety</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>28</TD><TD class=player>Justin Byers</TD><TD class=player>6-0/185</TD><TD class=player>Fr.*</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>31</TD><TD class=player>Bobby Floyd</TD><TD class=player>5-9/211</TD><TD class=player>Jr.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player align=middle bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=4>Field Cornerback</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>21</TD><TD class=player>DeAndre Morgan</TD><TD class=player>5-10/170</TD><TD class=player>So.*</TD></TR><TR><TD class=player>33</TD><TD class=player>Koyal George</TD><TD class=player>5-11/175</TD><TD class=player>Jr.*</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Some articles about the defense and some updates on Brinkley

Posted on Fri, Aug. 22, 2008
USC defense is heavy duty

Norwood, Brinkley aim to prove bigger is better at linebacker

By JOSEPH PERSON
jperson@thestate.com
As they flipped through the preseason magazines, Eric Norwood and Jasper Brinkley came across no other linebacking tandems that outweighed them.
South Carolina’s beefy backers are the biggest in the SEC — and beyond, according to Brinkley’s unofficial count.
“We pretty much know we’re probably the biggest duo in the country,” Brinkley said this week.
“We’re going to try to be the best,” Norwood added.
If it appears Brinkley and Norwood are linebackers trapped in a defensive end’s body, that would be accurate. Brinkley played end with his twin brother, Casper, at Thomson High outside Augusta, while Norwood was an All-SEC defensive end last year.
Now they are manning the middle of the Gamecocks’ defense as the heaviest set of inside linebackers in the conference.
Both tipped 270 pounds in the spring, but dropped weight during preseason camp. The 6-foot-2 Brinkley is at 264, while Norwood checked in at 6-1 and 258 pounds.
Still, no one will confuse them with the Gamecocks’ punters anytime soon.
A study of SEC media guides and Web sites found that Norwood and Brinkley were without peer in the heavyweight division.
The only linebacker tandem close to going pound-for-pound with USC’s is the Alabama duo of Rolando McClain (6-4, 249) and Don’ta Hightower (6-4, 250), who is competing with Cory Reamer (6-4, 218) for the Crimson Tide’s weakside spot.
Most SEC linebackers are built more like Georgia’s interior starters — Dannell Ellerbe (6-1, 232) and Rennie Curran (5-11, 220).
Gamecocks receiver Kenny McKinley said he can’t see the forest for the trees when he runs crossing routes against the USC defense.
“Those guys, man, when I go across the middle, they might be the biggest two that I see,” McKinley said.
At SEC media days last month, Brinkley was asked several times whether he had outgrown the position. Season-ending knee surgery last year and a nagging ankle injury during the preseason have slowed Brinkley, but the fifth-year senior brushes off talk that he can’t stay with backs slipping out on pass routes.
As for Norwood, the junior from Acworth, Ga., is growing more comfortable in a position he had not played since high school.
“I’m still working on learning where the DBs (defensive backs) are fitting, so I’ll know where all my support is,” he said. “(Playing) D-line, I knew where the D-tackle was and that’s about it.”
First-year defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson, who moved Norwood to linebacker in the spring, plans on using Norwood at end in certain situations, creating confusion for offenses.
USC coach Steve Spurrier said Norwood will go full-throttle wherever he lines up.
“He’s active. I love the way he plays. He loves to practice, loves the game,” Spurrier said. “He’s full of enthusiasm. He’s got a chance to be a big-time player for us on defense.”
Norwood averaged 6.5 sacks his first two seasons and set a school record last year with 19.5 tackles for loss. As much as Brinkley enjoyed playing with his twin brother, Casper, the former USC defensive end who is a rookie with the Carolina Panthers, Jasper appreciates Norwood’s intensity.
“He’s a great player, very enthusiastic and brings a lot of energy to the game,” he said. “I like playing beside a guy like that.”
Brinkley estimates he is about 95 percent recovered from his sprained left ankle, which includes a strained ligament in his heel. Brinkley, whose 107 tackles in 2006 were twice as many as the Gamecocks’ next-leading tackler, said he would definitely play against North Carolina State next week.
Norwood has no doubts about it.
“Right now he’s just not pushing anything. It’s not bothering him,” Norwood said. “He’s just waiting ‘til the game, really.”
Waiting to prove that bigger does mean better.
</EMBED>
LINEBACKER DEPTH CHART
“Spur” linebacker
Darian Stewart 5-11 219 Jr. | Playing well at safety/linebacker hybrid spot before foot injury
Antonio Allen 6-2 190 Fr. | Competing with former receiver Larry Freeman for playing time
Middle linebacker
Jasper Brinkley 6-2 264 R-Sr. | 78 percent of his tackles at USC have been solo stops
Marvin Sapp 5-11 229 Sr. | Had solid preseason camp after missing spring following hernia surgery
Weakside linebacker
Eric Norwood 6-1 258 Jr. | Named to second team of preseason All-SEC team before taking a snap at LB
Rodney Paulk 6-0 227 Jr. | Overlooked Columbia native has 22 career starts

Q&A with Gamecocks' Ellis Johnson

Joseph Person
jperson@thestate.com
Ellis Johnson, who grew up in Winnsboro and has coached in just about every corner of the state on the high school and college levels, finally made it to USC in January as the Gamecocks’ defensive coordinator. The 56-year-old Johnson sat down with GoGamecocks The Magazine's Joseph Person to discuss his homecoming and his thoughts on the Gamecocks’ defense.
QUESTION: What’s been the best part about being back home?
ANSWER: It’s been kind of strange in some ways. I really haven’t seen my extended family. Being here in a familiar area, it’s really been kind of funny. Every year we planned at least one week of our vacation time, we’d come over here and run around and see family and hang out. So that week got here, and we sort of didn’t know where to go.
The professional side of it’s been good. . . . We’re changing the scheme, changing some of the Xs and Os. I’ve got to get to know personnel. But I’ve worked with all three of these defensive coaches before, and that helps. Personalities-wise, we’d all met each other, knew each other and so forth.
Q: What’s been the most challenging aspect of the transition?
A: I guess the timing aspect. It was a very limited amount of time that I got to get in the offseason program and look at the kids and get to know them. Even to this day, when I sit down with someone like you, I have to pull out the depth chart to make sure one of them doesn’t slip my mind.
Q: You mentioned a different scheme; how different will the defense look?
A: I think our basic scheme is a lot different than it was last year. They were more of a 3-4 team last year, and the more film I’ve watched, the more I’ve seen we’re not very much alike at all. We’ll be much more of a 4-3 (or) 4-2. We’ll wind up playing two linebackers and three safeties quite a bit. . . . I think we’ll probably pressure and blitz a little bit more than I’ve been doing the last few years because I think we’re a little more skilled at the coverage spots out back, and we’re definitely more mobile and faster up front than I’ve been lately.
Q: It sounds like you’re going to need some depth at the safety position.
A: When I say three safeties, a lot of people play that third linebacker or that third safety – “spur,” as we’re going to call him – he’s a field-side linebacker, almost like a nickel back. And what you’re asking him to do is not play a lot of man coverage on wide receivers, but he’s got to be able to play great coverage out in space. I think South Carolina’s basic defensive scheme two years ago was really more similar to what we’re doing now than last year. . . . It’s just some guys are lined up in some different positions, and we’re calling some things by some different terminology.
Q: Speaking of guys in different positions, you turned a lot of heads in the spring by moving Eric Norwood from end to linebacker. Are you confident that’s his best position?
A: To help us, it is. Now Eric today weighs about 270 (pounds). He’s going to be playing rush end in our four-man (front) dime package, our third-down package. So he’s got to stay in tune with that type of position. It’s going to enable us, if some other linebackers step up and we can put him back to that position, we’ll be fine. But we came in originally (and) were going to put Cliff Matthews in the backer package and put Eric in the front. The more we went through it, and the guys on the staff and I started to see where we were going and they realized where I wanted to take it, we flopped those two guys. I think it’s definitely a good swap for both of them.
What Norwood’s doing at the position we’ve got him is playing in the box a lot versus the run; he’s blitzing off the edge and up inside as a linebacker. And at 270 pounds, that’s a plus.
Q: At middle linebacker, you have got an All-SEC type of guy coming back. What are your expectations for Jasper Brinkley?
A: I hope the sky’s the limit. And I’m not putting any pressure on him. But he’s proven in his year and two games here he’s a big-time football player. The main thing we wanted to make sure he did in the offseason is he learns the scheme and we keep him healthy because he’s older and he’s proven. I hope he’ll bring back some leadership, some poise, mental toughness. The first half of the season, it was the defense that gave them the opportunity to be a good football team. From the time they were ranked sixth or seventh in the nation to the time that they went through a five-game slide, it was the injuries and the lack of leadership on defense that hurt. And he’s obviously the main one.
Q: Where do you think this defense’s strength is going to be?
A: It’s kind of hard for me to judge it right now. We’ve got Nathan Pepper coming back off of a rehab that’s not completed but going well. Brinkley didn’t practice in the spring. Dusty Lindsey didn’t practice in the spring. When you look at the (guys) coming back on paper, we should be a very strong, physical, dominant front seven.
When you look at what’s actually on the field in the spring, it wasn’t quite back there yet. So there’s still some fill-in-the-blanks. The things I liked in the spring is that our corners can cover. Our safeties are good football players and good run-support players. They pick up things real fast. But there’s not much depth behind them that’s proven. You take (Chris) Culliver and (Mark) Barnes and we move them real late (from receiver), but, boy, just first look, they can be great players back there. But they don’t know the scheme; they’re not ready to play yet. So we’ve got a very short time with which to get them ready.
Now all of a sudden we go from two or three proven players to four. When I say those four, I’m talking about (Darian) Stewart and (Emanuel) Cook and Barnes and Culliver. Those are four really good football players. I’m very impressed with Barnes and Culliver. That enables us to take a look at a young guy like Antonio Allen, Jay Spearman, some of those guys, to see where they fit in the best. Antonio Allen is a kid I’d like to move up there and look at him as our outside field safety or field linebacker - the spur. He’s an immature kid. He hasn’t been very consistent in his offseason preparation. But he’s got a lot of natural ability.
I think if everybody comes back healthy and everybody’s healthy when we line up for that first ball game, I really think the strength is the front seven – the overall ability. I hope we can dominate the line of scrimmage.
Q: How would you compare it to other groups you’ve had elsewhere?
A: Just pure talent, we’re better than we were at Mississippi State. We look like at some spots a lot like we did with some of the teams I was involved with at Alabama. Just physical talent. The one thing we’ve got to prove is whether we can get it across the finish line. . . . You don’t win big in this league unless you win close games. And that has more to do with maturity and discipline and dependability than it does talent.
Q: When you had your health scare (Johnson was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s disease in 1993 while at Alabama), did it force you to look at some things differently in terms of taking care of yourself?
A: No question about it. I’m a little more conscious of health habits and exercise. When I had that health scare, I was single and didn’t have family, and that makes it a lot easier to accept something like that. It’d be a lot more difficult now because there are so many other people depending on you. But it does make you take stock of a lot of things.
I think I probably work harder than I used to. I appreciate the daily aspects of my job more than I do the Saturday afternoons now. The interactions with people. You really do. You go through something like that, you start realizing just how much fun it is - some of the things you took for granted. How important they are. I probably work at it a little bit harder. I know I do a better job with personal relationships both in work and in social situations. And just taking life day by day, you appreciate it a lot more.

This was a question asked to the GCC reporter today:

Tony, I'm hearing that Jasper may not start or play against NC State. Is there any truth to this rumor?

- He's expected to be ready, but they're not going to sacrifice his whole season and force the issue if somehow he isn't ready.

Any news on how D. Stewart is coming along?

- They're still hopeful he'll be ready for the opener.

<SCRIPT language=javascript>if (getCookie("HideSigs") != 1) {document.writeln('');} </SCRIPT>

In the Article w/ Ellis Johnson, Brinkley says he is 95%. It is going to be very tough to keep him out of the lineup

Wolfpack, looking back over that depth chart.

Question bout the secondary.

Is Javon Walker hurt? He is not even listed on the depth chart at Safety and RS-Frosh Justin Byers is listed as the starter.

Scott Hood
<SCRIPT language=javascript>document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in The Insiders Forum

Battling Mother Nature, South Carolina began its on-field preparations for next Thursday night's season-opening clash with North Carolina State with a two-hour workout Friday afternoon interrupted periodically by rain.

By the time the workout ended, heavy rain was pelting the Bluff Road practice fields.

USC's preparations began Thursday on the first day of classes with team meetings at the Crews Facility, but Friday's wet workout actually marked the first opportunity for the Gamecocks to actually start putting the game plan into action.

"It was a normal practice in shorts," Spurrier said. "We had meetings (Thursday), so it wasn't a full day off. We were running around OK. We're still six days away, so this is like a Sunday before a Saturday game. We didn't do too much today, really."

By the time USC hit the practice fields, they knew N.C. State head coach Tom O'Brien had selected athletic redshirt freshman Russell Wilson as the Wolfpack's starting quarterback over fifth-year senior Daniel Evans, who has started 17 games over the past two seasons but has 17 career TD passes compared to 23 interceptions.

Spurrier expressed mild surprise N.C. State decided to go with the inexperienced Wilson.

"It's interesting they've chosen him," Spurrier said. "But I guess they chose him because they think he's the best quarterback to help them win the ball game. That's how you make the decisions. That's why Tommy Beecher is starting for us. We think he's the best one. We don't know a lot about their quarterback. Hopefully, we'll be prepared."

While Beecher will, like Wilson, make his first career start on Thursday night, Spurrier said the circumstances between the schools were different based on history.

"Tommy has played a little bit and our offense hasn't changed too much over the years," Spurrier said. "It's what we're trying to do. It will be interesting to see if their (offense) changes."

As offensive coordinator, Spurrier must take N.C. State's talented defensive front into consideration in designing a game plan along with his son, Steve Spurrier, Jr. Two of the Wolfpack's best players are junior defensive end Willie Young, who possesses plenty of quickness despite his 6-foot-5, 230 pound frame, and junior defensive tackle Alan-Michael Cash.

They both have All-ACC potential. Spurrier said Friday that Young has been particularly impressive on film. He had 48 tackles, 16 for loss, in 2007.

"He's an excellent pass rusher and run stopper," Spurrier said. "He's very active. We have to make sure we know where he's coming from most of the time.

N.C. State is coming off a 5-7 record in O'Brien's first season as head coach. They started slowly before reaching the .500 mark with a four-game winning streak. But last season ended badly with lopsided losses to Wake Forest and Maryland.

"They're a good, tough team. They're a lot like us, to tell you the truth," Spurrier said. "We should matchup pretty evenly. We know it's going to be a tough game. We have to play well. We have to play a lot better than the way we have been playing if we expect to beat them."

All four young quarterbacks behind the top three of Tommy Beecher, Chris Smelley and Stephen Garcia were dressed in black shirts during the shoulder pads and shorts practice, signifying their involvement with the scout team.

Other scout team players included running back Bobby Wallace, wide receivers D.L. Moore and Scott Spurrier, offensive linemen T.J. Johnson and Pierre Andrews, defensive linemen Kenny Davis and Clark Gaston, a converted fullback, and defensive back Jarrett Burns.

USC will practice again Saturday at 4 p.m. Spurrier is scheduled to conduct his first weekly press conference Sunday at 1 p.m. when the depth chart will be revealed.

DEAD HEAT FOR PUNTNG JOB: With just five practices left before Thursday night's season opener against N.C. State, Spencer Lanning and Ryan Doerr are in a dead heat for the punting job, according to special teams coordinator Ray Rychleski.

"They're neck and neck," Rychleski said. "We might punt both of them. Spencer has been a little more consistent in the normal punts, while Ryan has been a better pooch punter. I'm going to tell both of them they're going to get a shot. If we go with two, we're going to say, hey, you're both our punters. One of them will get the first punt, the other will get the second and we'll rotate. They won't get yanked after one bad punt."

Rychleski agreed with the suggestion that it appeared he would hold in-game auditions in order to find the best punter.

"That's exactly right," Rychleski said. "But we've got to do it. Somebody told me one time that if you don't have a starting quarterback and two guys are vying for the job, that means you have two second-teamers. Right now, we have two second-teamers hoping to find the first team. We'll give them both a shot."

Lanning will likely punt first on Thursday since he's been a member of the team longer than the freshman Doerr, Rychleski said.

Rychleski said NFL punters average about 40 yards per kick with a 4.5 second hang time. Asked if either Lanning or Doerr met that criteria, he quickly responded, "No."

"Some they're rocketing, some they're shanking," Rychleski said. "You want it to be exactly like golf. Tiger Woods has a coach, but when something goes wrong, he watches himself and makes the corrections. That's what they have to do. They have to get in that film room and watch their steps and figure out what they could do better."

Rychleski has all but ruled out Ryan Succop as the punter, saying there was a "95 percent chance" either Lanning or Doerr would handle the punting duties.

Spurrier suggested the choice between Lanning and Doerr had already been made when he met with reporters after practice, saying USC would keep the identity of the starting punter a secret until just before the game.

"We're trying to keep it a secret right now," Spurrier said. "Coach Ray will make that call later in the week."

HALL WILL PLAY LIMITED SNAPS: Head coach Steve Spurrier commented Thursday night on his weekly call-in radio show that senior defensive tackle Marque Hall will likely play about 15 to 20 snaps per game this season due to a "bum knee." Hall agreed with the strategy late Friday afternoon.

"I had a little swelling last week, so I'm just rehabbing and getting ready for the season," Hall said. "(Taking fewer snaps will) keep my legs fresh for the rest of the season. I didn't do much today. I rode the bike, just trying to rest my knee.

Hall, who had a career high 22 tackles last season, said the depth on the defensive line is the best he's seen during his five years with the program.

"We look a whole lot better than we have the last several years," Hall said. "The team unity is great. I love these guys. We work hard every day. Coach Lawing makes us work and tries to make us better every day. He'll come out here and work our ass off to get us better. Right now, we have a lot of good players and we'll be able to keep the guys fresh."

SORENSEN SECURE AT RIGHT TACKLE: Six days from the opening game, fifth year senior Justin Sorensen appears secured in his role as the starting right tackle. But that's a position he's quite familiar with, having made 18 consecutive starts at the position. Sorensen believes he has an integral role in assuring head coach Steve Spurrier gets what he wants – a more dependable offensive line.

"We have lots of improvements to make, but I think we're doing fairly well," Sorensen said. "Nobody's spot is permanently set. You mess up, you're going to get pulled. That's pretty much how it is."

Sorensen, one of eight Gamecocks to start every game last season, is part of a five-man offensive front that also features two juniors (LG Lemuel Jeanpierre and C Garrett Anderson) and a pair of redshirt sophomores at left tackle (likely Hutch Eckerson) and right guard (Heath Batchelor). There are plenty of players behind them looking to make the jump to the first team.

"I don't think there's been a line here that knows the system as well as it does now," Sorensen said. "In the past, we've had guys that played football and were good athletes, but mostly everyone's been in Spurrier's system for so long now that everyone knows the system a lot better. There's still mistakes, but not as many."

Sorensen, a native of Vancouver Island, B.C., was drafted fifth overall by the hometown B.C. Lions in last spring's Canadian Football League Draft. Pro football can wait, though. After completing his eligibility, Sorensen will first take a shot at the NFL before heading back to Canada.

"If I end up there, I'll be happy, but I pretty much want to stay here and finish out my last year," Sorensen said. He graduated in December with a degree in retailing. He's now working on a second degree in psychology.

QB SUSPENSE OVER FOR WOLFPACK: N.C. State head coach Tom O'Brien ended the drama on Friday when he named redshirt freshman Russell Wilson as the starting quarterback for Thursday's season opener at Williams-Brice Stadium, according to a report on The Wolfpacker, the Rivals site covering N.C. State athletics.

Wilson edged fifth-year senior Daniel Evans for the job, ending a month-long competition for the job. Wilson will make his first career start against the Gamecocks, a fact that didn't seem to faze O'Brien, who will begin his second season as N.C. State head coach on Aug. 28.

"As I've said from the beginning, the decision would be made on who we feel gives us the best opportunity to win the football game, and right now we feel Russell Wilson will do that," O'Brien was quoted as saying. "He will be our starter, but we certainly feel that (Evans) has some things he can contribute to this football team, as well. Russell is the starter and Daniel is the backup. But, as Daniel knows, he is one play away from being the starter."

Wilson, who is from the Richmond, Va., area, is regarded as the best pure athlete among the five QB candidates who started the fall in a free-for-all competition until O'Brien started weeding them out one-by-one.

"I'm excited to be the starter," Wilson said. "I believe Daniel and I can both step in and help this team win some games. The team is really excited to go down to South Carolina and we hope it will be a great game."

Redshirt junior Harrison Beck will be the third team quarterback, while highly touted freshman Mike Glennon will redshirt after he was eliminated from consideration following a scrimmage last week.

The 5-foot-11, 191 pound Wilson, the MVP of the offensive scout team last year, completed 185 of 310 passes for 3,009 yards and 34 touchdowns with seven interceptions during his senior year in high school in Richmond. He also ran 143 times for 1,132 yards and 18 TD.

This past spring, Wilson played second base for the N.C. State baseball team that eliminated USC from the NCAA Tournament in June. Wilson appeared in 32 games and compiled a .296 average with a pair of homers and eight RBI while stealing six bases in seven attempts.

While naming Wilson the starter, O'Brien did not rule out the possibility of playing Evans, as well, in next Thursday's national televised game on ESPN. The head coach said it might be beneficial for Wilson to occasionally watch the defense from the sidelines.

While some have expressed concern over Wilson's lack of size, he's not one of them.

"My size is a little deceiving," Wilson said. "I do have 6-foot-3, 6-foot-4 size hands, and that helps a lot. I've been throwing my whole life. The hands definitely helped."

NOTES:

-- Some "Super Gamecocks", as Spurrier described them, fed the players watermelons following Friday's practice. He described it as "Watermelon Day."

-- Spurrier said RB Mike Davis was close to 100 percent and was "ready to play." But, Spurrier cautioned nobody will know until Davis is tackled for the first time, since he's been held out of contact drills for most of fall camp with a bad shoulder and then the flu.

-- DT Nathan Pepper missed Friday's workout with the flu, Spurrier said.

<!-- no ad here-->

GamecockCentral.com Staff Writer<SCRIPT language=javascript>document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in The Insiders Forum

Talk about a trial by fire.

When hearing the news on Friday that N.C. State will put redshirt freshman Russell Wilson under center for its season-opener at South Carolina in five days, the Gamecocks hit the practice field with a mission. They had to get as much simulated experience as possible handling a Wilson-esque QB, although they've got scarce game tape to view (Wilson has never taken a varsity snap), and realize the scout team, donning black jerseys with the Wolfpack's numbers on them, was also on its first day of simulating.

The overcast skies and scattered rain cut practice a little short, and with the session being closed, the only way to judge how the defense looked against the scout quarterback was to take the players' and coaches' words for it.

"It's like any other offense," coordinator Ellis Johnson said recently. "It's not the scheme. There's always an answer for every scheme."

Everybody's hoping those aren't just empty words, and USC can quickly find an answer if Wilson shows up and performs like the last season-opening quarterback the Gamecocks faced.

It was just less than a full year ago that Michael Desormeaux and Louisiana-Lafayette strolled into Williams-Brice Stadium, blinked twice and were down 14-0. But after Desormeaux got settled against the Gamecocks' defense, the Ragin' Cajuns tied the score at 14 and USC struggled thereafter to put points on the board.

At the heart of the attack was Desormeaux, who scampered for 116 of the team's 252 rushing yards. Of course it was an entire year ago and USC has some new personnel at defense, but if a Louisiana-Lafayette quarterback could do that, and if it stands to reason that N.C. State can recruit much better athletes than the Ragin' Cajuns, and Wilson is one of them ...

See the problem?

"Everybody is pretty healthy and our confidence is way up, we're looking real good," defensive tackle Ladi Ajiboye said on Friday. "We've done real well in the scrimmages."

Besides the short time to get ready and the unfamiliarity of Wilson -- the most any Gamecock has seen of him was when Wilson played baseball for the Wolfpack last year, helping eliminate USC from the NCAA Regionals -- the Gamecocks are dealing with some pesky injuries. Ajiboye and fellow DT Nathan Pepper should be the first guys to get a crack at Wilson on the field, but Ajiboye still has a cast on his right hand and Pepper missed Friday's practice with the flu.

Marque Hall is probably only going to play 15-20 snaps on Thursday to rest his ailing knee, while backup Donte'e Nicholls has missed the past few practices with a left ankle tweak. Throw in that linebacker Jasper Brinkley is trying to limit himself, playing on a recovering sprained left ankle and a surgically repaired knee, and that spur Darian Stewart is on crutches with a sprained foot arch, and the Gamecocks' defense could be very holey.

Not to say Wilson will launch a Heisman Trophy campaign when he arrives on Thursday, because who knows how long he'll stay in the game or how effective he'll be? The only thing the Gamecocks know from his high school stats is the kid can apparently play some football.

At Collegiate (Va.) School, Wilson threw for 3,009 yards and rushed for 1,132 during his senior year. He accounted for 52 total touchdowns (18 rushing).

He was named Offensive Scout Team Player of the Year during the Wolfpack's spring practice, throwing for 410 yards and three touchdowns and rushing for 84 yards in a combined three scrimmages. Wilson doesn't seem to be the kind of player to take lightly, especially considering it'll be his college debut on national television.

And N.C. State, expected to have another rebuilding year, would love to start its season with an upset.

Not that USC's defense seemed concerned, injuries or not. Hall said the group's attitude is wonderful and despite the bumps and bruises, the depth is enough to overcome any absences.

"We look a whole lot better than we have the last several years, the team unity is great. I love these guys, we work hard every day," Hall gushed. "We have a lot of good players and we'll be able to keep the guys fresh."

The secondary, which has had a member lead the team in tackles in two of the past three seasons, is hoping the line and linebackers can keep Wilson contained. Although the Gamecocks have been fantastic against the pass in years past, opponents quickly figured out they hardly had to pass because the run worked so well.

"It all depends on what kind of running back is running," laughed strong safety Emanuel Cook earlier this month. "Nah, we'll be ready if they come to us, but we're confident in our guys up front."

NOTE: USC confirmed that five walk-on players made it through tryouts and have joined the team. Their jersey numbers haven't been released yet, but their names have (with position and hometown): Adam Yates, K, Sparks, Md.; Brandon Davis, WR/CB, Columbia; Eric Davis, P/K, Newberry; Kerry Pippin, P/K, Simpsonville; Dalton Wilson, LB, Williston.

<!-- no ad here-->

I don't necessarily like the general pattern of what I'm hearing about this game. Really, a lot of unknowns on both sides. I thought w/o Bowens it would be something of a slam dunk, but the SC DL now sounds a little more questionable than I thought it would be and Russell is probably an upgrade from Evans or the TOB wouldn't have gone with him. Not sure I'm gonna be able to bet this one. Still favorite and UNDER.

August 23, 2008

Last Minute Decision on Stewart likely

Scott Hood

Slightly more than 24 hours after suffering a strained arch in his left foot during a full-team scrimmage last Saturday, safety Darian Stewart insisted he would return to practice on a full-time basis by today.

But it didn't happen, as Stewart wore a yellow jersey for the sixth straight workout, throwing his availability for South Carolina's season opener Thursday night into doubt.

The South Carolina coaching staff could decide as late as Wednesday whether the junior from Huntsville, Ala., will play against the N.C. State Wolfpack when USC kicks off the fourth season of Steve Spurrier's tenure as head coach, he said late Saturday afternoon following a two-hour workout in helmets and shorts.

"He's jogging around a bit," Spurrier said. "We'll have to wait and see on Wednesday, probably. It will be a late decision whether or not he will be able to play."

After an MRI on Stewart's foot was negative, Spurrier described the injury as "a bad bruise on the bottom of his (left) foot."

Stewart said he suffered the injury when he made an interception "early on" in last Saturday's scrimmage and came down awkwardly. Since then, he's undergone treatments in the whirlpool and ice packs under the direction of USC's medical staff.

Stewart, who won the Joe Morrison Award as USC's top defensive player in the spring, finished third on the Gamecocks last season with 68 tackles while appearing in all 12 games. His 56 solo tackles ranked second on the team.

Before the injury, Stewart had been preparing for his role as "spur linebacker," the term given to the newly created position by defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson.

If Stewart is unable to play, senior Larry Freeman or redshirt freshman Antonio Allen will probably replace him. Freeman was moved to linebacker shortly before the start of pre-season camp after totaling two receptions last season as a JUCO transfer.

Chris Culliver, a converted wide receiver and one of the fastest players on the team, has taken over the free safety spot in USC's favored 4-2-5 scheme.

While Spurrier must decide whether Stewart will play against N.C. State, a key position battle is still ongoing at left tackle between Hutch Eckerson and Jarriel King.

The question is whether Quintin Richardson remains a part of the conversation at that position. Spurrier acknowledged Saturday that the top two candidates for the job are Eckerson and King.

Richardson, who had been battling the duo for the job, has been placed on the scout team. Spurrier said the redshirt freshman from Spring Valley High School has also been seeing action at backup right tackle along with Kyle Nunn, warned the media not to search too deeply into his scout team role.

"We had to send somebody over there," Spurrier said. "Don't read too much into that. He'll be suited up Thursday night, hopefully ready to play some. I think he'll play some."

With USC preparing to play Thursday night, Saturday's practice was comparable to a Monday workout during a typical week, Spurrier said. He expressed his delight with the intensity shown by the Gamecock players until now.

"Obviously, Tuesday and Wednesday are your little bigger practice days, so they'll fall on Sunday and Monday this week with a Thursday game," Spurrier said.

USC will practice in full pads Sunday and Monday and "butt heads a little bit" when they next return to the practice fields.

"We're pretty close to being ready to play, but not quite ready yet," Spurrier said. USC's 2008 schedule is a bit unusual in that the Gamecocks will play its first two games of the season on Thursday nights.

After squaring off with the Wolfpack, USC will travel to Nashville to face Vanderbilt on Sept. 4. That SEC contest will also be nationally televised by ESPN.

"It does take your guys a little out of school when you have a road game on a Thursday," Spurrier said. "When we play at home, we might miss one class. A (weekday) road trip during the school year does take a little time. But those basketball teams and those baseball teams, and just about every sport here, misses class for a game. If football misses one morning, I think the presidents can live with that.

"They worry about football, but never about the other sports, so it's sort of ironic."

Spurrier said the USC players haven't given much thought about the fact that the first three games are on national TV. CBS will show the potential Top 25 home battle with Georgia on Sept. 13 at 3:30 p.m.

"We're on a lot, so we're not worried about that," Spurrier said. "We're worried about blocking and tackling and playing our assignment. That's the only thing we need to be worried about. We're trying to line up and play without stupid errors. That's what we're trying to do right now."

Is USC making progress in that area? Spurrier said he wouldn't know the answer until Thursday night's matchup with N.C. State. But indications from pre-season camp have been positive.

"In practice, we're staying on-sides and we're not jumping (offsides) like we have a history around here of doing," Spurrier said. "We'll see if we can do it in the games. That's when it counts."

INGRAM PREPARED TO REDSHIRT: Sophomore Melvin Ingram, who was recruited as a linebacker, said Saturday he's ready to redshirt in 2008 and vowed to prepare himself physically to return next season as a defensive end.

"It's just a year to get bigger, better, faster and stronger and know my new position," Ingram said. "I played linebacker in high school and linebacker last year, so I'll have to just adjust to the change. It will be different playing with my hand on the ground."

Ingram was regarded by some as the top linebacker in the State of North Carolina when he signed with USC in 2007. He endeared himself to Gamecock fans before stepping on campus when he scooped up a fumble from current Clemson QB Willy Korn and returned it for a touchdown in the 2006 Shrine Bowl.

Last season, he registered 15 tackles in 12 games as a true freshman, including a season-high five against Kentucky. He also gained 90 yards on five kickoff returns.

He was expected to compete for playing time at linebacker this season, but suffered a setback in the spring when he broke a bone in the days before the spring game.

CULLIVER, MUNNERLYN RESUME RETURN ROLES: It appears Chris Culliver and Captain Munnerlyn will repeat their roles in 2008 as the main kickoff returner and punt returner, respectively.

Culliver averaged 23.8 yards on 34 kickoffs last season, including a trio of 44-yard returns against LSU, Miss. State and Arkansas. His total of 809 kick return yards ranks second in school history behind only the 880 yards logged by Dickie Harris in 1970.

"Our kickoff return has to get better," Rychleski said. "It's our area of concern. We didn't do well in the last scrimmage. It was disappointing. We missed assignments, we missed blocks. We didn't give Culliver a chance to be good. We have a good one back there. We have to help him."

Munnerlyn averaged 9.2 yards on 18 punt returns last season, ranking seventh in the SEC. His career long return of 46 yards came against Vanderbilt. His 165 return yards were the most by a Gamecock since Ryan Brewer had 202 in 2000. He also returned 12 kickoffs.

Freshman Akeem Auguste is the top backup to Munnerlyn on kickoffs, while Munnerlyn is the second choice on kickoffs behind Culliver followed by Auguste.

Rychleski showed he doesn't play favorites when he carped on Munnerlyn Friday for arriving a few minutes late for practice. Accordingly, he was absent for the start of the special teams session prior to stretching.

"I told Captain that we can't operate special teams if he and Auguste aren't out here on time," Rychleski said. "If they're not out here on time, I don't care we'll go to the sixth string returner. I didn't run them but I gave them a warning. They won't be late again. If they are, they won't be returning."

Rychleski said he's relying on Ryan Succop to boom some kickoffs into the end zone now that he won't be responsible for the punting chores. Eleven of Succop's 60 kickoffs last season traveled into the end zone and weren't returned.

"With all that rest he's got, I'm expecting (the ball) in the end zone," Rychleski said. "I want to put a little pressure on his butt."

AJIBOYE'S BROKEN HAND HEALING: Defensive tackle Ladi Ajiboye suffered a broken bone in his hand in early July during a work-related incident. As a result, he's been wearing a protective case over his hand throughout pre-season camp. Ajiboye said Friday that his hand is nearly 100 percent healed.

The injury followed a stellar freshman campaign in which Ajiboye earned the most post-season acclaim of any Gamecock freshman. He was honored as a Freshman All-America by the Sporting News, and was named to the Freshman All-SEC team by the coaches. Ajiboye made a strong impression with 39 tackles, three sacks and 3.5 tackles for loss. This season, Ajiboye looks to be part of a deeper defensive line.

"Everybody is pretty healthy and our confidence is way up," Ajiboye said. "We're looking real good. We're way ahead of where we were last season at this time. We had a great attitude all summer and fall and we've done real well in the scrimmages."

Defensive line coach Brad Lawing intends to rotate five players at the defensive tackle spot, though Marque Hall might be limited due to a balky knee. Ajiboye will be joined by Nathan Pepper, Jonathan Williams, Travian Robertson and Hall.

"We can rotate guys more than last year to keep us fresh," Ajiboye said. "It helps to have confidence in our second team and even the third team. Right now, I need to be smarter on the field in following my assignments."

Ajiboye said new defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson is a little different in his approach from Tyrone Nix, who left to take the same job with Ole Miss.

"(Johnson) is much more technical. He wants everyone on the field to know everything and every little assignment," Ajiboye said. "He doesn't like messups. Coach Lawing is the same way. He's a very hard worker. He'll get after you."

DEFENSE WINS IN THE SEC: There is a strong correlation between playing stout defense and success in the SEC. Last season, the top three teams in total defense went a combined 32-8. National champion LSU was No. 1 in total defense (288.8 ypg). I 1Head coaches maintain one key element separates the SEC defenses from other conferences – speed.

"The defensive speed is outstanding in this league," Kentucky head coach Rich Brooks said recently. "Defense in this league is what has ended up winning the championships. You look at LSU last year. They were an outstanding defensive football team. The year before, Florida was an outstanding defensive football team. They were really good on offense, but they were great on defense. There's no question the best teams in this league have great defenses."

USC finished ninth in the SEC in total defense last season, prompting Spurrier to change defensive coordinators. The hiring of Ellis Johnson has Spurrier expecting better things. He recently said he wanted the Gamecocks to finish among the top three or four defenses in the SEC.

"Ellis is a proven defensive coordinator with a very good track record," Spurrier said. "To be honest, I should have hired him two or three years ago. We feel that with Ellis and better players, we're going to play better on defense. Hopefully, we'll do a good job coaching hire."

WOLFPACK'S WILSON EXCITED OVER STARTING ROLE: When N.C. State redshirt freshman Russell Wilson met with reporters following Friday afternoon's practice in Raleigh, he couldn't hide his excitement over being selected as the Wolfpack's starting quarterback for next Thursday's opener at USC.

Wilson beat out four other quarterbacks pursuing the job, including fifth-year senior Daniel Evans, the incumbent, to earn the starting nod. NC State coach Tom O'Brien informed Wilson and Evans of his decision during a meeting on Friday mornings.

"I was definitely excited," Wilson was quoted as saying in an article on TheWolfpacker.com, the Rivals.com site covering N.C. State athletics. "We will be prepared for South Carolina. I never really worried about (the starting spot). I've been waiting for this my whole life. My mindset has been on this."

Wilson, who compiled sensational numbers while a prep quarterback in Richmond, Va. will be just the third Wolfpack signal caller since 1971 to start as a freshman in his first collegiate game, and only the eighth freshman quarterback to start a game for N.C. State over that same stretch.

O'Brien said Wilson, the third different starting quarterback in his 13 games as head coach, earned the starting nod with his performance on the practice field.

"The decision always came down to who would give us the best chance to win the football game," O'Brien said. "That was the deciding factor. He did things well enough for us to think he is the guy we have to have under center to win the football game. Somebody grabbed the thing and we have to move forward."

Although he lost the starting QB battle, Evans knows things could change quickly, especially if Wilson gets injured. A year ago, Evans was the starting quarterback in the season opener against Central Florida but was replaced at halftime by Harrison Beck, now the third stringer. Evans expects to call signals for at least one series in the first half against USC.

"I'm just one play away," Evans said. "I never felt things were slipping away from me. We had our scrimmage Tuesday and thought I played well. But Russell has been playing great too. I feel I have done pretty much everything I could have done."

O'Brien agreed inserting Evans into the game in the first half would be a good move for the Wolfpack.

"Somewhere in the first half, he (Evans) will have to go in and play," O'Brien said. "He's done too much for this program. He's a good enough player. Somewhere, Russell is going to get tired in the first half because of the emotion of the night. It might be more (than one series), but it will depend on the game situation and how things are."

Wilson will have a pair of experienced running backs to hand the ball to in redshirt junior Jamelle Eugene (667 yards rushing in 2007) and senior Andre Brown, who 2007 season was cut short by an injury. Junior Toney Brown will also be available.

However, Wilson will lack an opportunity to throw to N.C. State's most dangerous returning receiver, Donald Bowens. He had 41 catches for 598 yards a year ago.

NOTES:

-- ESPN's broadcasting crew for Thursday night's game between USC and N.C. State will be Chris Fowler, Craig James and Jesse Palmer. Kickoff is set for 8 p.m. Erin Andrews will be on the sidelines. The contest can also be heard on WKNT 107.5 FM "The Game." The radio station will have a three-hour pre-game show.

-- Starting right guard Heath Batchelor said Saturday that although Steve Spurrier has talked about the right side of the offensive line being fairly solid with C Garrett Anderson, Batchelor and RT Justin Sorensen, it wasn't "set in stone yet." Batchelor, who started four games at right guard last season, is excited about playing alongside Sorensen again. "I've played next to Sorensen three games last season, all through the spring and now this entire fall camp, so we're on the same page," he said. "I've roomed with Garrett the first two years, so we're on the same page too."

-- Spurrier said starting QB Tommy Beecher "will get every opportunity to go the distance" on THursday night. He said there wouldn't be any pre-game plan to insert Chris Smelley into the game unless Beecher was injured. "We're going to try to play our best players for as long as we can and try to win us a ballgame."

-- Spurrier said all four quarterbacks behind the top three of Beecher, Smelley and Stephen Garcia have led the scout team offense. With N.C. State having already named Russell Wilson as its starting QB, Spurrier speculated freshmen Aramis Hillary and Reid McCollum have taken most of the snaps with the scout team.

-- Spurrier said he has decided which game RB Mike Davis must sit out for class attendance issues last fall, but declined to reveal the contest. He would only say it was a "middle of the year game." Spurrier said a total of three players must sit out one game. The most likely game would be UAB on Sept. 27.

OFFENSE
(12 offensive positions listed)

WR 11 Kenny McKinley (6-0, 187, Sr.***)
15 Matt Clements (6-0, 188, Fr.-RS)
12 C.C. Whitlock (5-10, 169, Fr.)

WR 18 Dion LeCorn (5-11, 220, So.*)
4 Jason Barnes (6-4, 204, Fr.-RS)

WR 9 Moe Brown (6-0, 184, Jr.**)
85 Joe Hills (6-4, 201, So.)
82 Freddie Brown (6-3, 208, Jr.**)

LT 66 Hutch Eckerson (6-6, 292, So.*)
76 Jarriel King (6-7, 285, So.)
72 Quintin Richardson (6-4, 290, Fr.-RS)

LG 57 Lemuel Jeanpierre (6-3, 305, Jr.**)
62 Pierre Andrews (6-3, 288, So.)

C 70 Garrett Anderson (6-4, 310, Jr.**)
63 Seaver Brown (6-5, 302, So.*)

RG 74 Heath Batchelor (6-7, 309, So.*)
60 Terrence Campbell (6-3, 277, So.)

RT 78 Justin Sorensen (6-7, 316, Sr.**)
68 Kyle Nunn (6-6, 306, Fr.-RS)

TE 84 Jared Cook (6-5, 240, Jr.**)
88 Weslye Saunders (6-5, 274, So.*)

QB 6 Tommy Beecher (6-2, 220, Jr.*)
7 Chris Smelley (6-2, 211, So.*)

FB 47 Patrick DiMarco (6-1, 238, So.*)
46 Bryan Kingrey (6-1, 241, Sr.**)

TB 25 Mike Davis (5-9, 207, Sr.***)
10 Brian Maddox (5-10, 224, So.*)
-OR- 20 Taylor Rank (6-0, 216, Jr.**)

DEFENSE

DE 41 Jordin Lindsey (6-3, 266, Sr.***)
96 Clifton Geathers (6-7, 284, So.*)

DT 95 Nathan Pepper (6-1, 287, Jr.**)
42 Travian Robertson (6-4, 281, So.*)
79 Marque Hall (6-3, 292, Sr.***)

DT 91 Ladi Ajiboye (6-1, 298, So.*)
99 Jonathan Williams (6-2, 296, Sr.*)
79 Marque Hall (6-3, 292, Sr.***)

DE 83 Cliff Matthews (6-4, 259, So.*)
92 Byron McKnight (6-5, 231, Fr.-RS)
-OR- 98 Devin Taylor (6-6, 232, Fr.)

MLB 52 Jasper Brinkley (6-2, 269, Sr.*)
45 Rodney Paulk (6-0, 227, Jr.**)
44 Dustin Lindsey (6-4, 251, Sr.**)

WLB 40 Eric Norwood (6-1, 267, Jr.**)
53 Marvin Sapp (5-11, 229, Sr.***)
16 Shaq Wilson (5-11, 197, Fr.)

SPUR 24 Darian Stewart (5-11, 219, Jr.**)
8 Larry Freeman (6-1, 228, Sr.*)

CB 36 Stoney Woodson (5-11, 200, Sr.***)
5 Carlos Thomas (5-11, 199, Sr.***)
3 Akeem Auguste (5-9, 180, Fr.)

FS 17 Chris Culliver (6-0, 199, So.*)
13 Mark Barnes (6-2, 196, Fr.-RS)

SS 21 Emanuel Cook (5-10, 203, Jr.**)
29 Chris Hail (5-10, 193, Jr.**)

CB 1 Captain Munnerlyn (5-9, 185, Jr.**)
7 Addison Williams (5-8, 178, So.*)

SPECIAL TEAMS

PK 14 Ryan Succop (6-3, 221, Sr.***)
34 Spencer Lanning (5-11, 182, So.)

P 34 Spencer Lanning (5-11, 182, So.)
39 Ryan Doerr (6-3, 173, Fr.)

KR 17 Chris Culliver (6-0, 199, So.*)
1 Captain Munnerlyn (5-9, 185, Jr.**)
9 Moe Brown (6-0, 184, Jr.**)

PR 1 Captain Munnerlyn (5-9, 185, Jr.**)
3 Akeem Auguste (5-9, 180, Fr.)
11 Kenny McKinley (6-0, 187, Sr.***)

DS 59 Charles Turner (6-4, 225, So.*)
67 Chris Vaughn (6-1, 257, Fr.-RS)

H 6 Tommy Beecher (6-2, 220, Jr.*)
27 Scott Spurrier (5-4, 163, Jr.)
34 Spencer Lanning (5-11, 182, So.)

* = Indicates Letters Won

August 24, 2008
<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("[FONT=Franklin Gothic Heavy, Impact, Arial Black, Arial]Spurrier Hoping For Different USC Team[/FONT]
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "Spurrier Hoping For Different USC Team "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "Spurrier Hoping For Different USC Team"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT>

Spurrier hoping for different USC team

Scott Hood

Steve Spurrier has complained in the past about South Carolina's inability to take the lessons they learned on the practice fields during the week into the stadium on Saturday.

This year, though, might be a different story. In fact, Spurrier is counting on it.

After a grueling summer of conditioning workouts followed by 29 practices during pre-season camp, the Gamecocks will kick off the 2008 schedule Thursday at 8 p.m. against former ACC rival N.C. State at Williams-Brice Stadium.

The way the 2007 season ended – the current five-game losing streak is the longest since 2002 - has Spurrier and the USC players anxious to get back on the field.

When they do, Spurrier expects to see a more disciplined and conscientious team willing to give full effort on every play, something he contends hasn't always happened in the past.

"Time will tell if we're a different team than what we've been the three years that I've been here," Spurrier said Sunday during the first weekly press conference of the season. "We've played very well at times. I don't know that we've played an entire game extremely well. Again, we're going to try to play with more discipline, with fewer careless mistakes.

"It's very disappointing when you give games away because you're careless. We're going to try our best not to do that and as coaches we've got to do a better job. Our players have made a conscious effort to eliminate some careless mistakes that have cost us in the past."

One of the biggest culprits has been an offensive line plagued by miscues last season, including a mistake-filled performance in the shocking loss to Vanderbilt. But the four weeks of pre-season camp has the head coach encouraged things will be improved in 2008.

"I'm not sure how we're going to exactly get it stopped till we go play with some different guys," Spurrier said. "Our linemen have been better. We've emphasized the snap count to where they know when to go. We haven't jumped in practice at all. It was sad watching us jump off-sides before. We've had some crucial false starts in the other guy's stadium. We're trying to learn from it."

The Gamecocks have not dropped six games in a row since the infamous 21-game losing streak in 1998-99. They'll also be seeking to end a four-game losing skein to the Wolfpack. USC's last victory over N.C. State came in 1988.

Despite the disappointing conclusion to the 2007 season, USC is ranked No. 26 in the Associated Press pre-season poll just one point behind Pittsburgh. They are No. 27 in the USA Today Coaches poll. The Gamecocks are the seventh-highest ranked SEC team in both polls.

"I really believe our team will be pumped up and eager to play our best Thursday night," Spurrier said. "I know our fans are. They get tremendously excited this time of year and the reason is they have hope that maybe something really good can happen this year. Hopefully, we've got a team that can give them hope and then get the results. We're going to try our best so that a lot of good things will happen for everyone involved with University of South Carolina football."

Thursday's game will mark the first meeting between the former fierce rivals in nine years and just the second since 1991. USC and N.C. State open the 2009 slate in Raleigh with another nationally televised Thursday night affair.

The ninth straight season opening win by USC would even the all-time series with N.C. State at 26-26-4. The last loss by the Gamecocks in the first game came in Lou Holt's debut in 1999 when the Wolfpack prevailed 10-0 in a heavy rainstorm.

"They've got an active bunch," Spurrier said when asked about the Wolfpack. "Heck, North Carolina had a good bunch. They stymied us the entire second half up there. The ACC is a good league. I see us and N.C. State as two pretty evenly matched teams right now."

The depth chart released Sunday revealed few surprises. However, senior Stoney Woodson was listed ahead of Carlos Thomas at the cornerback position opposite Captain Munnerlyn.

Darn Stewart was listed as the starter at spur linebacker (the terms given the position by defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson), but Spurrier said the junior from Huntsville, Ala. was questionable for the game due to a heel injury. He reiterated the decision about Stewart's availability probably won't be made until Wednesday.

Sophomore Spencer Lanning was listed as the first-team punter ahead of true freshman Ryan Doerr, but Spurrier said the latter might get a chance to boot one on Thursday night.

Besides Stewart, another important player bothered by the injury bug during pre-season camp was senior Mike Davis, who missed nearly two weeks of practice with a left shoulder injury and then the flu but was nevertheless listed as the No. 1 running back on the depth chart.

Spurrier emphasized, though, his availability for Thursday night's contest would be gauged by the practice sessions on Sunday and Monday when USC is expected to put on full pads and engage in some "bumping."

"We'll see if Mike Davis is ready to start," Spurrier said. "We'll do a little inside bumping around (Sunday), so he'll get hit a little bit. We'll see if that shoulder is 100 percent, which we think it is. We've got to run the ball. We know that. Our best games historically, we've really mixed in the run. So we're not going to just come out throwing all the time. We do not need to get into third-and-15 (situations) as much as we did last year."

Brian Maddox and Taylor Rank are listed as co-backups behind Davis. Maddox saw limited playing time behind Cory Boyd and Davis last season, while Rank, a redshirt junior, has a single 100-yard game to his credit.

Marque Hall, who is battling knee problems, is listed at third-string at both defensive tackle spots.

Redshirt sophomore Hutch Eckerson has won the left tackle job, at least temporarily, over 21-year old sophomore Jarriel King, a JUCO transfer, and redshirt freshman Quintin Richardson.

"We're hoping Jarriel King comes on at left tackle," Spurrier said. "He's a 21-year old with three years left. We'll have a man over at left tackle."

Richardson, a graduate of Spring Valley High School in Columbia, was a member of the scout team in Saturday's workout, but Spurrier said that wouldn't be the case Sunday. Richardson has also practiced at right tackle alongside starter Justin Sorensen and redshirt freshman Kyle Nunn.

One of more intriguing storylines about Thursday night's game is both quarterbacks are making their first career starts. USC's Tommy Beecher has waited three seasons for his opportunity, while Russell Wilson of N.C. State will make his debut as a redshirt freshman after beating out four other contenders for the job.

When he takes the first snap, Beecher will become the fifth different starting quarterback for USC in Spurrier's four seasons as head coach.

"It's been well documented what type of young man Tommy is." Spurrier said. "I think that will help our team. I hope it rubs off on the other players. He certainly does have a chance to be a quarterback that's a leader because of the way he handles himself.

"Tommy's going to get a chance to go the distance. Tommy' earned the right to be the quarterback and he's going to have every opportunity to hang in there a long time. I think he's ready to play and he's put in a lot of time to know our offense very well."

If something should happen to Beecher, Spurrier said Chris Smelley is prepared to play as well. Smelley started six games last season and compiled a 4-2 record as a starter.

Little is known about Wilson except that he was a outstanding prep quarterback in Richmond, Va. and is considered a threat both running and throwing the football. He will become just the third N.C. quarterback since 1971 to start as a freshman in his first collegiate game.

Spurrier wasn't concerned about the fact USC has virtually no film on Wilson since he will be making his first collegiate appearance.

"I don't think it makes a huge difference, although it could," Spurrier said. "Coach O'Brien's offense has never been much of a quarterback run-oriented offense. It's similar to maybe what we do as far as our offense hasn't featured a lot of quarterback runs. (Wilson) is supposedly a very good athlete that can run around, make things happen throwing and running. We've been working on the quarterback runs preseason and we'll continue doing that I'm sure up to the game."

Considering Wilson's versatility, USC will likely regularly utilize the 4-2-5 defensive package designed to stop spread offenses and multi-threat quarterbacks like Wilson

The sell-out crowd should also be a factor. Williams-Brice Stadium's listed capacity of 80,250 seats will be the largest non-conference road crowd for N.C. State since a 2003 trip to Columbus, OH to face Ohio State. N.C. State lost that game, 44-38, in triple overtime.

Thursday's game will mark N.C. State first game against a SEC opponent since the season opener against the Gamecocks since 1999. The last time the Wolfpack faced a SEC opponent on the road was Oct. 11, 1995 at Alabama.

Another interesting subplot to the game has former Gamecock Shea McKeen listed as a backup defensive end. McKeen left the USC program prior to the start of the 2006 season following an incident in Five Points.

Wolfpack, looking back over that depth chart.

Question bout the secondary.

Is Javon Walker hurt? He is not even listed on the depth chart at Safety and RS-Frosh Justin Byers is listed as the starter.

yes javon walker is hurt. He is recovering from an injury last year.

Weather Update: Doesn't look like it will be raining by gametime. Rain would have been an advantage to NCST in my mind because it would help neutralize the speed SC has on defense.

Here is a video of NCST QB Russell Wilson in the spring game. Nothing to take too serious but least it gives you an idea about the kid. No idea if it is 1st team D, 2nd team D, 3rd team D or the offensive players for that matter. Didn't notice any passes downfield and he does have some wheels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKJ2o7pWYI4&NR=1

Keeping the updates going. For those of you who got the UNDER 50, good job, it was too high, I hesitated but had the feeling that is the side you should play, I guess everyone else did, see line @ 46 right now.

Jasper Brinkley says he is 95% healthy, he should be practicing full go this week.

<TABLE class=tborder style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 998696" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>TheGarfather</TD><TD class=alt2>I don't necessarily like the general pattern of what I'm hearing about this game. Really, a lot of unknowns on both sides. I thought w/o Bowens it would be something of a slam dunk, but the SC DL now sounds a little more questionable than I thought it would be and Russell is probably an upgrade from Evans or the TOB wouldn't have gone with him. Not sure I'm gonna be able to bet this one. Still favorite and UNDER.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I'm mixed on why TOB went with Wilson. I think it has something to do with the fact that he is not a statue back there like Evans and if the NCST OL can't hold up, least Wilson can create something with his feet.

Now with the DL, its pretty much the same as it has been all spring/summer. Lindsey/Geathers will play one DE spot, Geathers more so on passing downs. Cliff Matthews will play the other DE spot, he should make a name for himself this year. At DT they have Ladi Ajiboye who had a cast on his hand for most of summer but he is 100% now. He was injured working at a bar but hardly missed any practice. Nathan Pepper will start at the other DT spot and his knee is pretty good. Jonathan Williams will relieve one of the DT's and Sophomore Travian Robertson will also gives one of the DT's some breaks. Marque Hall is the one who has a knee that is troublesome. He wasn't 100% last year and he isn't 100% this year. If the coaches get 15-20 snaps from him a game, they will be happy so likely a 5 man rotation at DT. I imagine that Norwood will see some time at DE in passing situations as well.

Last edited:
some articles

Spurrier playing coy with expectations

By Travis Haney (Contact)
The Post and Courier
Monday, August 25, 2008

COLUMBIA — Wanna know what South Carolina's going to look like in its opener Thursday night against North Carolina State?
Hey, you're not alone. So does Steve Spurrier.
"You don't know exactly what you've got until you go play," Spurrier said Sunday during his first weekly news conference of the season. "We have confidence our team will play well. But, until we do, it's just sort of hope and confidence that we will play well. So, we've got to go do it, and then go do it again and again and again."
Spurrier's typical weekly preview is to either poormouth his team or, sometimes, build it up with compliments. Neither applied Sunday.
His offense is being led by a quarterback, Tommy Beecher, with little experience. The offensive line is deeper with some scattered experience, but it's still widely unproven. The receivers beyond Kenny McKinley echo the same chord.
The defense and special teams have new coaching leaders, but no one is certain how that'll translate exactly.
"I usually have a feel," Spurrier said, "but I don't know what's going to happen."
Spurrier is 3-0 in his openers at USC. Just as Thursday will be, two of those games (Central Florida in 2005, Mississippi State in 2006) were
the ESPN national telecast to open the entire college football season.
Also, it's the Gamecocks' first chance, in about 10 months, to end their five-game losing streak.
"We need a win, no doubt," linebacker Eric Norwood said. "It's a big game, just to build that momentum back up."
Last year's 6-6 finish in mind, senior receiver Kenny McKinley said the team has a more "humble approach" this time around.
As a result, it's a more muzzled Spurrier you hear and a South Carolina team that's hopeful of sneaking up on opponents.
That's the case just a year after Spurrier boisterously talked about lifting the expectations for the program.
"Again, we're trying to stay a little bit underneath the radar, whatever you want to call it about not trying to talk too big," he said Sunday.
"Hopefully (we'll) let our play do whatever talking needs to be said. I don't know if we've got a really good team, an average team or what. I don't know yet.
"We've got to go in the stadium here Thursday night and start finding out how we can perform. We've done a lot of things differently around here, and we'll find out if it pays off this coming Thursday night."
The Gamecocks and Wolfpack will kick off at 8 p.m. (TV: ESPN).
Sunday was also the first look at USC's depth chart entering the season. Here are a few highlights.
--Senior Stoney Woodson has jumped senior Carlos Thomas at corner. Spurrier said Woodson, Thomas and freshman Akeem Auguste will all rotate.
--Spencer Lanning is listed as the starter at punter, but Spurrier reiterated that Lanning and freshman Ryan Doerr will both punt Thursday.
--In a three-receiver set, Moe Brown and Dion LeCorn are the second and third receivers to complement Kenny McKinley. Brown would likely get the nod if there's a tight end on the field.
--The defense was laid out in the 4-2-5 format, as expected. Darian Stewart is the starter at the "spur" spot, a linebacker-safety hybrid. Spurrier said USC will not know until Wednesday, perhaps, if Stewart (foot) is available. Converted receiver Larry Freeman is Stewart's backup; he's turned heads in camp.
--Brian Maddox and Taylor Rank have an "or" beside their names for second-string running back behind Mike Davis. Rank worked with the first team when Davis was missing with a shoulder injury.

-------------------------------------------------------------

August 25, 2008

Will NCST Stay Grounded?

Scott Hood

Despite the recent decision by North Carolina State head coach Tom O'Brien to name multi-talented redshirt freshman Russell Wilson as his starting quarterback, Steve Spurrier expects O'Brien to continue emphasizing what has made him a successful Division I head coach.

And that's smash-mouth football.

O'Brien had a reputation while the head coach at Boston College of thinking run first and pass second, even when he had top-notch quarterbacks like Matt Hasselbeck or, more recently, Matt Ryan calling the signals.

"His style has been to play with very few mistakes, run the ball and play good defense," said Spurrier, who starts his fourth year as Gamecock head coach. "I guess they might have a little bit more of a pro-style offense now, maybe similar somewhat to what we do."

So, while Wilson has been described as a quarterback who's has the potential of being dangerous both running and throwing the football, Spurrier anticipates seeing a heavy dose of N.C. State's backfield, particularly junior Jamelle Eugene, last season's leading rusher with 667 yards, and senior Andre Brown, the Wolfpack's top ball carrier in 2005.

Running the ball proved successful last season against the Gamecocks, which finished last in the SEC in rushing defense. Spurrier believes the Wolfpack will utilize Eugene early in Thursday's game to see if the USC defense is up to the challenge of stopping the Wolfpack's running game.

"Jamelle Eugene seems to be their top guy right now," Spurrier said. "It seems like Eugene is a player that can go the distance. He's going to get the ball a bunch, there's no question. Every team that plays us is going to feature the run first until we prove we can stop the run. It's pretty simple. Hopefully our guys are ready to be strong up front and tackle well and so forth."

O'Brien has made it a point of emphasis in the off-season of improving N.C. State's running game, which averaged a paltry 89.2 yards per game in 2007. As a matter of comparison, USC was last in the SEC in rushing last season with an average of 113.7 yards per game.

In fact, N.C. State was outgained on the ground by its 12 opponents by more than a 2-to-1 margin (2,237 yards to 1,071 yards).

"We have to run the ball better," O'Brien said. "We can't be second-to-last in the conference in rushing offense. Jamelle Eugene did a tremendous job in the last six games and a tremendous job in spring practice. He has proven he can be the ball carrier. He is going to have to come out of the game and he is going to have to rest and other people are going to have to come into the game so we will have a rotation."

Redshirt junior Toney Baker would have given the Wolfpack a formidable backfield trio, but he underwent surgery recently to clean out some residue in his knee and should be sidelined for several weeks.

Eugene started the 2007 season third on the depth chart at running back before rising to No. 1 by the halfway point when Baker suffered a season-ending injury in the season opener and Brown (447 rushing yards in 2007) broke his foot in the sixth game of the season. Eugene played 445 snaps in the final seven games, an average of 63.5 plays per game.

He posted three games with 100 yards or more rushing, averaging 83.7 yards per game. He was on the field for 76 snaps against Virginia on Oct. 27. Two weeks later, he had 159 rushing yards on 32 carries in the victory over arch-rival North Carolina.

After that latter performance, it's no wonder O'Brien started calling Eugene the "Energizer Bunny" because, he said, Eugene "just kept going and going." The nickname stuck through the spring when Eugene carried most of the load at running back while his comrades recuperated from their injuries.

N.C. State's failure to make a bowl games, though, left Eugene with an empty feeling. The Wolfpack won four straight games to reach the .500 mark before lopsided losses to Wake Forest and Maryland ended O'Brien's first season in Raleigh on a disappointing note with a final mark of 5-7.

"I feel like last year was C-plus for me," Eugene said. "My team didn't win. To be successful as a running back, your team has to win. We won a few games then we fell off at the end. On the whole, we didn't have a great season. I can't separate my individual success from the team if we are not winning."

Baker's absence, together with the loss of Donald Bowens, the team's top returning receiver, for the entire season with stress fractures in his back, has limited O'Brien's options offensively.

With a young quarterback making his first career start, will N.C. State look to pound the ball right at a Gamecock defense that struggled to stop the run last season? Considering O'Brien's history, it might happen.

The two-deep on N.C. State's offensive line averages 6-foot-5, 309 pounds, so they're big enough to dominate opponents up front.

If USC defeats N.C. State, Spurrier believes they'll have to earn it since O'Brien is a coach who preaches a philosophy of his own club not beating itself with careless errors.

"His teams have a history of playing very solid with very few mistakes," Spurrier said. "That's a very good compliment to say your players play within the rules and play with great discipline. We're trying to get that established around here a lot better."

O'Brien was named the 33rd head coach in the history of N.C. State on Dec. 30, 2006 after directing Boston College to eight consecutive winning seasons and seven consecutive bowl victories. He left Boston College after 10 seasons (1997-2006) as its head coach as the school's all-time leader in wins (75)

"His teams at Boston College obviously were good. They came close to winning the conference championship last year," Spurrier said. "Of course, they had a new coach but it was mostly the guys that coach O'Brien had recruited and trained and so forth. N.C. State wouldn't have paid him a whole bunch of money if they didn't think he was one of the best coaches in the country."

After most of North Carolina's top talent left the state during the 2007 recruiting cycle, O'Brown vowed to keep the best talent at home. N.C. State signed eight of the top 30 prospects in the Tar Heel State last February, more than any other school, including three of the top six players, according to Rivals.com.

"They've turned the corner up there a little bit," Spurrier said. "I think their recruiting has been very good the last several years. They're a good-looking team."

-----------------------------------------------------

August 25, 2008

Breaking the Streak
<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("[FONT=Franklin Gothic Heavy, Impact, Arial Black, Arial]Breaking the streak[/FONT]
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "Breaking the streak "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "Breaking the streak"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
David Cloninger

They don't like talking about it, but it was bound to come up.

"Coach Spurrier always preaches that we're only as good as our last game and we lost our last game, so we're not very good right now," senior linebacker Jasper Brinkley said.

It's a brand-new season. There's a lot that's changed since that bitter day in November, when Mark Buchholz's field goal sailed through the uprights and brought South Carolina's 2007 season crashing to earth.

But the fact remains that the last time the Gamecocks took the field, they lost their fifth straight game. Although it's a new season, the losing streak still carries over.

It's the longest such streak at USC since 2002, when that team likewise finished a season with five straight losses. It's also the longest streak of coach Steve Spurrier's career, topping the four-game skids he had during his first year at Duke and his second year with the Washington Redskins.

Brinkley said he knew that. Eric Norwood, Chris Culliver and Kenny McKinley said they didn't, although they probably could have guessed it.

It's not really something one would brag about.

"It's over and done," Norwood said. "We're going to remember it, just work off it. Just remember how we lost those-type games. Try to pay attention to the ways we lost them.

"But I mean, I doubt that will happen again."

Thursday's season-opener hosting N.C. State was important anyway. National TV, first game of the season, etc.

Now the Gamecocks have the burden of breaking a lengthy stretch of sour results, too.

"It's important anyway just because it's the first game and it's going to be the start of our new season," McKinley said. "It is an important game, but it's just another game. We lost five games, that's in the past. It's a new season, we just want to start the season off the right way."

"It doesn't change if we've won four in a row or lost four in a row, I don't think," Spurrier said. "As players and coaches you have the ability to try your best to forget the last game whether you won it or lost it.

"Obviously, we didn't win it."

Spurrier went on to say he didn't really believe the old adage of learning more from a loss than a win. He believes in a much simpler creed, one popularized by Vince Lombardi.

"Winning breeds more winning and unfortunately, losing does the same thing," Spurrier said. "So we need to break that losing habit we've got right now."

Culliver, the sophomore speedster who should be starting at free safety on Thursday, said the team doesn't mention the streak as any kind of rallying cry, yet it's in the back of everybody's minds. They use it as motivation when there's a dropoff in practice.

"If somebody's bending over when we're not supposed to, 'C'mon, work harder. You're not going to be bent over in the game.' Things like that," Culliver said. "We push each other just to try to be better football players.

"Coach Black Iron (strength coach Mark Smith) been preaching to us, talking about, '6-6, we're not trying to go there.' We run more gassers, we do everything harder and everybody tries to work harder and to be a better football player."

Spurrier pointed out that only time will tell if the Gamecocks are ready to do battle, but one change can already be seen in the preseason predictions. There's nobody confidently saying USC is ready to take the SEC crown, not after 2007 ended so abruptly.

"Of course we're not going to talk … last year we kind of came up about how we were going to win the SEC and all that and we didn't live up to it," McKinley said. "So now we're just going to take the humble approach and go into every game and just play hard to the finish."

It all begins on Thursday. The Gamecocks are hoping the memory of the hollow feelings they had in their stomachs last year will be sufficient motivation.

"Going on that 0-5 losing streak doesn't really feel too good," Norwood said. "Getting that win ...

Good news for SC

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=top>Monday, Aug. 25 pre-practice updates...</TD><TD class="" style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=bottom noWrap align=right 1??>Reply</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<HR color=#cccccc noShade>Five players are in yellow: Bowens, Ingram, Nicholls, Young and Spearman (These are all frosh, redshirt frosh, nothing of concern)

Unlike last week, Childers is not wearing a scout-team jersey. He's in a regular jersey.

Darian Stewart is in full pads.

<SCRIPT language=javascript>if (getCookie("HideSigs") != 1) {document.writeln('

<hr align="left" noshade size="1" color="#000000" width="90%">Brian Shoemaker (Shoe)
GamecockCentral.com Founder/Publisher
Click here to contact me');} </SCRIPT>

honestly, do not even know what to say to this. I can not see this happeneing for more than the first couple series. No way has Rank jumped Davis/Maddox on the depth chart like this... I would be interested to see if Mike Davis's shoulder was acting up but more to come on this later. Even then, why Maddox isn't starting is beyond me here. Rank runs hard and he hits the hole quick but he is not that fast, not that elusive, can block pretty good though. Overall a tough kid but not as talented as the backs in front of him. The only reasonable scenario I see here is if Davis Shoulder is bothering him and Rank has been having a better summer than Maddox, which is very possible because I myself haven't been that impressed with what I've heard about Maddox since he got on campus.

August 25, 2008

Rank named Starting RB vs. NCST
<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("[FONT=Franklin Gothic Heavy, Impact, Arial Black, Arial]Practice quick kick: Rank will start at RB[/FONT]
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "Practice quick kick: Rank will start at RB "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "Practice quick kick: Rank will start at RB"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
David Cloninger

Yes, you read that right -- Taylor Rank will start at running back when South Carolina begins the season on Thursday.

Coach Steve Spurrier confirmed on Monday that the injuries and illness suffered by Mike Davis since Aug. 7 have pushed the senior out of the starting spot, at least for the first game. Davis said he felt fine but was going with the coaches' decision, clearing the way for Rank, a redshirt junior with 104 career rushing yards who once considered transferring to Montana State, to take the job.

Darian Stewart was out of a yellow jersey and back in full pads, a day after the junior spur was listed as questionable for the opener.

Stewart, recovering from a sprained foot arch, was listed first on the depth chart with senior Larry Freeman behind him. Each should play a good number of snaps as the Gamecocks adjust to their new 4-2-5 defensive package, bringing a player between the cornerback and linebacker on one side of the field.

Freshman Tori Childers, who just gained admittance to USC last week, was working with the Gamecocks' defense instead of the scout team, where he had been since he joined the squad. Childers, a wide receiver in high school and at New Hampton (N.H.) Prep School, has been switched to safety and will wear No. 32.

Stay tuned to GamecockCentral.com for a complete practice recap.

Last edited:
August 25, 2008

Spurrier: Rank Derserved to Start

<NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>Scott Hood

The starting running back for South Carolina is a guy that's carried the ball twice in the last 13 games,

Taylor Rank, a redshirt junior from Vancouver, Wash., will make his second career start Thursday night in the season opener against N.C. State, head coach Steve Spurrier announced following Monday night's rain-soaked two-hour practice on the Bluff Road Practice Fields across the street from Williams-Brice Stadium.

However, the number of carries Rank receives remains to be seen. Spurrier added that senior Mike Davis, who was listed as the No. 1 running back on this week's depth chart despite missing about two weeks with a bad shoulder and the flu, would enter the game "pretty early".

"Taylor Rank will start. Taylor's had a little bit better preseason practice," Spurrier said. "He had a good summer going to workouts and Mike did too. Mike will be in early, though. He's ready to play. (Taylor) has performed well, taken care of the ball, knows what to do. He's a good solid back. But Mike will be in there pretty early."

Spurrier responded "I don't know" when asked if sophomore Brian Maddox would factor into the running back rotation Thursday night.

"I hope they all are," Spurrier said.

Rank was not made available to reporters for comment following the practice. The final full practice before Thursday's clash with the Wolfpack is scheduled for Tuesday at 4 p.m.

Davis, who suffered the shoulder injury when he slipped on the wet grass during a non-contact drill, spoke with reporters afterwards and said he would abide by the decision of the coaches.

"I have to come out here and play hard, just like the rest of the team," Davis said. "I'm fully behind what the head coach wants to do. I'm just doing what the coaches want me to do. I'll have to deal with that. I did pretty well in practice. I'm good (healthy). I'm going to go there ready to play every day."

Spurrier said Davis, who had avoided contact in practice drills until the last few days while recuperating from his injury, "looked OK" in practice the last couple of days.

The second half of Monday's practice was conducted in wet conditions, with heavy precipitation falling at times. However, with early weather forecasts calling for possible rain on Thursday night, Spurrier decided to keep plugging away despite the poor conditions.

"We had a rainy day today and practiced pretty much right on through it," Spurrier said. "A lot of dropped balls and stuff like that, but it could be wet Thursday night. So, I don't know if this has helped us or not. We had a decent practice and we'll see what happens Thursday night."

Rank was third behind Davis and Brian Maddox on the depth chart released at the start of pre-season camp before managing to maneuver his way up the ladder through a series of solid performances in the three scrimmages permitted under NCAA rules.

Rank has 104 career yards on 22 carries, an average of 4.7 per rush, for one touchdown. Most of those yards came in his lone career start against Florida Atlantic on Sept. 23, 2006, when he totaled 101 yards on 15 yards while filling in for the injured Davis and Cory Boyd.

His career-long burst of 44 yards came in that contest, which at the time was the longest run by a USC running back since the 2004 season.

Rank has gained three yards on his other seven carries in his career. He had five carries for negative-2 yards in the win over Middle Tennessee on Nov. 18, 2006.

Rank, the 2004 Class 4A Player of the Year in the State of Washington after 2,013 yards and 33 touchdowns as a senior at Evergreen High School, signed with USC in 2005 as part of Spurrier's first signing class.

After receiving a medical hardship for his first season (he played briefly on special teams in the Georgia game), he has appeared in 24 of the 25 games over the last two seasons and has been used primarily on special teams.

Rank grew up in Georgia but moved to the West Coast with his family when he was a sophomore in high school.

In another development, fullback Yvan Banag has been ruled ineligible for Thursday's game as a result of visa problems. Banag grew up in Paris and came to the United States in the eighth grade.

"They have to do some legal papers," Spurrier said. "I don't have all the details. It may have been that his student visa ran out and he didn't reapply on time. He just doesn't have his papers right now. He'll be out, but he's supposed to be ready for next game. But he won't play Thursday."

Thursday's matchup marks the latest edition in Spurrier's lengthy duel with N.C. State defensive coordinator Mike Archer, a former head coach at LSU and defensive coordinator at Kentucky.

"I don't remember many (games against Archer)," Spurrier laughed. "I've just been watching the N.C. State tape. He is a coach that adjusts with the times, like we all try to. I'm sure he's added some defenses to what he used to do. He's a good coach. He's a guy that's done it for a long time. His players are in position. They don't get out of position too much."

STEWART SAYS HE'S READY: Spur linebacker Darian Stewart said he's ready to play in Thursday's season opener against N.C. State even though he missed over a week of practice with a heel injury suffered Aug. 16 in a scrimmage.

"The foot is pretty good. It's feeling all right," Stewart reported after Monday night's workout. "I'd say I'm ready to go. I'm not 100 percent, but it's getting there."

Spurrier said he would take a "wait and see" approach regarding Stewart's availability for Thursday's game.

Stewart, third on the team in tackles with 68 in 2007, sustained the injury when he landed after jumping to make an interception. He wore a yellow jersey for eight days before finally putting on the white jersey typically worn by defensive players.

"It was real tough sitting out and watching my teammates practice without me," Stewart said. "That's the hardest part. I felt like I was ready after running the last two days. I didn't really have any serious limps or anything, so they cleared me."

Stewart said he shared snaps at the newly created position of spur linebacker (the term used by defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson) with Larry Freeman during Monday's workout. Redshirt freshman Antonio Allen is also available for duty. USC has one more full practice on Tuesday before conducting a walk-through on Wednesday.

"I did mostly dime (coverage) today," Stewart said. "I worked with the first dime team. I really don't mind (splitting snaps) with Larry. It really doesn't matter to me. I think Larry is ready to play also. If it happens, it just happens."

LANNING TALKS ABOUT WINNING PUNTING JOB: Redshirt sophomore Spencer Lanning, a graduate of York (s.C.) High School, emerged as the winner in the four-week long punting duel with true freshman Ryan Doerr when the depth chart for the N.C. State game was released on Sunday.

"I'm anxious but excited and appreciative of Coach Spurrier and Coach Ray (Rychleski) giving me this chance," Lanning said. "I'm actually glad (Doerr) came here. He's made me a lot better. The competition has been lights out. You can't take a day off."

Ryan Succop has served as the USC punter during Lanning's first two seasons with the program. His only action last season came on an extra point in last season's win over S.C. State and kickoff against LSU. He has never attempted a punt for the Gamecocks.

"I'm just nervous to get that first punt off," Lanning said. "I'll settle down after that, I'm just ready to go out and beat N.C. State. Our punt coverage has looked real solid. I think we'll be a whole lot better than last year."

Lanning averaged better than 41.0 yards per punt as senior at York High School. He kicked the winning field goal in the North's 11-10 victory at the 2005 North-South All-Star game en route to claiming Offensive Player of the Game honors.

Rychleski brought a different system with him from Maryland when he took over as special teams coordinator in December. His scheme emphasizes the importance of the gunners.

"The key for me is the gunners - Chris Hail, Carlos Thomas, Chris Culliver and Captain Munnerlyn," Lanning said. "Those guys get down the field and make the tackles. It makes me look good. It's all about team, it's not just me.

Lanning applauded Rychleski for the dramatic improvements both physically and mentally in USC's special teams. Rychleski was regarded as one of the finest special team coaches during his seven seasons at Maryland.

"I love Coach Ray," Lanning exclaimed. "He's a hard nosed coach, but he sincerely cares about his football players. Once you realize he's just not ragging you but trying to make you a better player, then you realize he's a really nice guy."

With rain possible for Thursday night, Lanning appreciates the fact the Gamecocks have worked out in inclement weather several times during pre-season camp to get used to performing in poor conditions.

"Coach Ray has made us practice in the rain, and he said they won several games at Maryland because they knew how to execute in the rain," Lanning said.

CULLIVER HAPPY AT SAFETY: Now that he's projected to start at free safety, Chris Culliver is pleased with his decision to shift from wide receiver early last spring. Culliver signed with USC in 2007 as a wide receiver but determined after a single season that it wouldn't work. So he returned to the position that he played in high school.

"Safety is my dominant position," Culliver said explaining the move. "I was trying to learn receiver, but it wasn't really working out for me."

Culliver was one of the few true freshmen to maker an impact last season despite not making a catch. He averaged 23.8 yards per return on 34 kickoffs. He also rushed five times for 32 yards. While he feels good about what he was able to accomplish, USC's final record of 6-6 doomed the Gamecocks

"We've got something to prove," Culliver said. "The coaches have been preaching to us, talking about 6-6. We're not trying to go there. We run more gassers, we do everything harder and everybody tries to work harder and to be a better football player. We push each other just to try be better football players."

"But it's not what's done against each other. We can beat up on each other all day, but if we can't perform against another team than we are going to be average. I think we're getting close to it. It's up to us. It's not up to coach Spurrier to make us become SEC champions. It's up to us. We're the ones on the field. He's the one calling the calls but we're the one that has to perfect those calls that's being called out there."

MCKNIGHT BACKING UP MATTHEWS: Redshirt freshman Byron McKnight, a high school teammate of DT Travian Robertson, is backing up Cliff Matthews at one defensive end spot along with true freshman Devin Taylor and figures to see some snaps in Thursday's contest against N.C. State.

"I've been practicing hard and trying to go full speed every play," McKnight said Monday evening following the next-to-last workout prior to the opener. "I think I'll get some snaps in the game. I'll be ready to go every snap."

When McKnight, who stands 6-foot-5 and weighs 236 pounds, steps on the field, it will mark the first time he's played for the Gamecocks. He used the redshirt year to improve his size and strength.

"Speed, lots of speed," McKnight said when asked to describe the biggest difference between high school and college football. "I've been watching from the sideline. I just have to go in and play hard and play fast. I'm still working on everything, trying to get my technique down and improve my pass rush moves. That's definitely the thing I need to improve the most."

McKnight showed good athleticism and speed while playing defense alongside Robertson at Scotland County High School in Laurinburg, N.C. He has a 31-inch vertical leap.

SEC AGREES TO BLOCKBUSTER DEAL WITH ESPN: Few people thought the SEC could equal the new 15-year agreement with CBS announced a couple of weeks ago. But somehow they did. In fact, they might have exceeded it.

Establishing itself as the preeminent conference in the country when it comes to television, the SEC has agreed to a gigantic 15-year, $2.25 billion contract with ESPN and its various platforms that will provide unprecedented national coverage for the conference's football, men's basketball and women's basketball programs, as well as a number of the Olympic sports.

"I knew the TV people were trying to do a deal with the SEC," Spurrier said. "That's a compliment to our league. But it's not going to help us beat N.C. State Thursday night. I'm sure the ACC schools would love to beat up on the SEC schools, as well as all the other schools. We've gotten a lot of attention lately as the best conference and all that. We might have been last year, but last year is history. We'll find out this year who has the best teams."

The historic agreement, which begins in 2009-2010 and runs through 2023-24, will provide the conference with an unprecedented level of coverage on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN on ABC and ESPNU. In addition, ESPN Regional Television will become the new syndication home of the SEC. The new deal eliminates the possibility of the SEC following in the footsteps of the Big 10 and Mountain West Conferences and forming its own TV network.

"This agreement makes the SEC the most widely distributed conference in the country," Slive said. "Our agreements with ESPN and CBS allow us to achieve our goals without the problems and risks associated with creating a (SEC) channel. In some ways, these agreements increase the national exposure for football, significantly increase the national exposure of men's and women's basketball and help increase the national exposure of our Olympic sports.

"It also provide a significant opportunity to promote academic achievement at our institutions, increases national recognition of the SEC, retain control of the SEC copyright and our digital rights, and finally, provides long-term financial stability for our institutions."

Under the agreement, ESPN has acquired the rights to every SEC home football game excluding those shown as part of the CBS network package, and will serve as the exclusive national cable home and syndication rightsholder for the conference.

honestly, do not even know what to say to this. I can not see this happeneing for more than the first couple series. No way has Rank jumped Davis/Maddox on the depth chart like this... I would be interested to see if Mike Davis's shoulder was acting up but more to come on this later. Even then, why Maddox isn't starting is beyond me here. Rank runs hard and he hits the hole quick but he is not that fast, not that elusive, can block pretty good though. Overall a tough kid but not as talented as the backs in front of him. The only reasonable scenario I see here is if Davis Shoulder is bothering him and Rank has been having a better summer than Maddox, which is very possible because I myself haven't been that impressed with what I've heard about Maddox since he got on campus.
This seems to be the way Spurrier rolls, put in a backup with talent to light a fire under the underacheiving, more talented starter. Now, I could write a book on what I don't know about SC's backfield right now, but it seems this may be the tactics that TOB is going for, and he typically gets results. If I'm not mistaken, he did this with Blake Mitchell many times over his career, and always seemed to get better results out of him...

here is a copy of the insider report we get every morning on rivals.

Insider Report August 26h

With the start of a new football season, GamecockCentral.com is happy to announce a new feature: The Insider Report. Check back each weekday during the season for a new edition.

Team Information

Taylor Rank is getting the start at running back against NC State for multiple reasons. First of all, he had a strong summer and has been solid in fall practice. Secondly, Mike Davis was very sick last week, to the point where he had to be given fluids intravenously, and he’s still working his way back to 100%. Finally, Brian Maddox has had some problems holding on to the football in practice.

In the end, it wouldn’t surprise me if Davis ends up with more carries than Rank in the opener, but Rank is going to get a shot to show what he can do.

Linebacker Jasper Brinkley will be ready to go for the NC State game, and I expect him to have a big game.

Look for Jared Cook and Weslye Saunders to be on the field together quite a bit on Thursday and for both to be a big part of the offensive gameplan.

I also expect linebacker Eric Norwood to see his share of snaps with his hand on the ground against the Wolfpack.

Gerrod Sinclair was not listed on the depth chart released by the university because the whole strong-side linebacker spot was omitted. Sinclair and Alonzo Winfield are the top two guys there and will play on Thursday.

I’m hearing positive things about where Carolina’s team is as a whole and how the coaches feel about them heading into the season. There is just a lot of positive energy surrounding the program. They’re very healthy overall and everyone seems to be on the same page.

Wolfpack - good luck, hope everyone stays healthy

This seems to be the way Spurrier rolls, put in a backup with talent to light a fire under the underacheiving, more talented starter. Now, I could write a book on what I don't know about SC's backfield right now, but it seems this may be the tactics that TOB is going for, and he typically gets results. If I'm not mistaken, he did this with Blake Mitchell many times over his career, and always seemed to get better results out of him...

I think its more of rewarding the kid who has been in the system for 4 years for hard work (Rank).

Blake was benched 99% of the time because he did something to deserve it and was never the team leader he was suppose to be

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD class=storytitle colSpan=3>A Wolfpacker's Perspective </TD></TR><TR><TD class=primaryimage vAlign=top>
585269.jpg

Anthony Hill

</TD><TD noWrap width=3></TD><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="60%" bgColor=#f5f5f5 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=center noWrap>By Christopher Brewster
Pack Pride
Posted Aug 26, 2008

</TD><TD noWrap>

Are you ready for some football?! Just a couple of days from now, NC State will take the field against the South Carolina Gamecocks (snicker, snicker).

</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>
That thankfully means the official end of baseball (at least to anyone under the age of 55 or anyone not Costa Rican). The Olympics were a nice diversion (thank you women’s beach volleyball) but how wrapped up can you be with something that only comes around every four years for a very limited time? It’s like getting fired up about the Green Party national convention.
This is a very interesting time for Wolfpack football. It’s understandable why State is generally picked last in the Atlantic Division.
State starts a brand spanking new quarterback under center (Russell Wilson). A slightly more experienced offensive line (although 2/5 of the starters were defensive linemen a year ago). A fleet of inexperienced wide receivers thanks to the injury to Donald Bowens (for anyone who questions State fans’ belief in an injury curse, I ask you… how often does your star wide receiver break his f’ing back and nobody know it?!). The linebackers are all relatively inexperienced. The kicker is new. And we have a freshman starting at safety (Justin Byers).
However, the Pack does have some experience along the defensive line. The corners are experienced. The Pack returns the most underrated running back corps in all of college football. But the most important part of the Pack’s season is up hill… an Ant Hill to be exact. An elite tight end before he was injured for the entire 2007 season, senior Anthony Hill, returns for his final season to give Russell Wilson the bestest gift a young quarterback could ask for... a safety valve who can change the game.
An FTD floral bouquet with a stuffed animal is great for grandmothers but not so much for a quarterback starting his first collegiate game. And if anyone doesn’t think a great tight end can save a young quarterback (his sanity and his physical health), give Philip Rivers a call (remember him?). Having great running backs (which NC State does) and a stud tight end can be the difference between blast and bust.
During Rivers first pro season, he had the luxury of handing off to LaDanian Tomlinson (and Michael Turner) and throwing to all-everything tight end, Antonio Gates. It worked out pretty well for Mr. Rivers. That should be the model for Russell Wilson’s out–of-the-gate success.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width=220 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>
585270.jpg
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rside><CENTER>"He runs faster than a meth head on Cops."</CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Ever see the 1980 movie, My Bodyguard? It’s an underdog story about a small kid that enlists a really big kid to keep him from getting beat all to Hades by some bullies. Ok. That’s the NC State 2008 football season in a nutshell. Ant Hill is Wilson’s My Bodyguard. Russell Wilson is going to come to appreciate Anthony Hill more than a Britney Spears fan has come to appreciate panties.
Anthony Hill is 6-foot-6 and 265 pounds. He runs faster than a meth head on Cops. His hands are softer than a Jonas Brothers song. In essence, Wilson has a minivan with opposable thumbs to throw to. And did I mention that Hill missed all of last season? That means he’s got something to prove. He’s got one year to show NFL scouts that he’s still fast, he’s still effective and most important... he’s durable.
So what Wilson really has is a minivan with racing stripes to throw to. That should bring a bigger smile to Wilson’s face than a gift certificate to the local Thai massage parlor. Of course for NC State to make it to a bowl game this year, the question marks must prove to be exclamation points (or at least periods). However, when it’s all said and done, and people talk about 2008 being Tom O’Brien’s turnaround season at NC State, one movie will come to mind. My Bodyguard. It’s always great to see the underdog win. Especially when the underdog is a part of the Wolfpack. Stay safe and stay tuned...

One of my favorite features of Gamecockcentral is the people who work there really care about the site and put in a ton of time, especially for football.. Everyday the resident Gamecock expert fields questions from 8am-4pm on any random shit any gamecock fan wants to know and he answers them very truthfully about the players team. Last year they started to get the other writers from the rivals sites to do a Q&A on our site so after the Wolfpack writer is done fielding questions tomorrow (Wednesday), I will post the whole transcript. It is awesome way to gain insight on your opponent that you likely would not have found elsewhere.

I will also post my prediction on how I think the game will go. I am predicting a 31-13 score.

August 26, 2008

<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("[FONT=Franklin Gothic Heavy, Impact, Arial Black, Arial]Walker out for year; Eugene for season opener[/FONT]
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "Walker out for year; Eugene for season opener "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "Walker out for year; Eugene for season opener"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT><OBJECT id=rvflash codeBase=http://active.macromedia.com/flash2/cabs/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0 height=60 width=620 classid=clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000>

<EMBED SRC=http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf?h1=Walker+out+for+year%3B+Eugene+for+season+opener+&h2=&lwidth=620&lheight=60&lshadow=1&sFontColor=000000&sLink= WIDTH=620 HEIGHT=60 SALIGN=lt QUALITY=best SCALE=noborder wmode=transparent ID=rvflash NAME=rvflash BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF TYPE=application/x-shockwave-flash PLUGINSPAGE=http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash></EMBED></OBJECT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT></P>Jacey Zembal
TheWolfpacker.com Editor
<SCRIPT language=javascript>document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in The Wolves' Den

NC State's bad luck with injuries continued Tuesday when coach Tom O'Brien gave out the injury report after practice.

Star running back Jamelle Eugene has been ruled out for Thursday's season opener at South Carolina with an ankle injury. O'Brien had hoped Eugene would be ready to go, but instead senior Andre Brown and sophomore Curtis Underwood will be the new 1-2 punch in the backfield.

Eugene also handled kick and punt returns for the Wolfpack. Freshman T.J. Graham, redshirt junior Geron James and even redshirt freshman starting quarterback Russell Wilson, are some of the candidates to handle the punt return duties O'Brien said.

O'Brien said redshirt sophomore strong safetyJavon Walker will be out for the season after suffering complications from his season-ending knee injury that he suffered against Miami last November.

Senior right guard Curtis Crouch, a backup behind Meares Green, will not be traveling to Columbia at O'Brien's request. Redshirt freshman Henry Lawson will move into Crouch's backup role.

Sophomore outside linebacker Thomas Barnes and freshman defensive tackle Kyle Linney have left the team and will be looking to transfer to a new college. Neither player were on the two-deep depth chart.

Also, freshman offensive lineman Sam Jones failed to qualify academically, but hopes to get what he needs to get done and enroll next January O'Brien said.

O'Brien also said redshirt senior punter Bradley Pierson won the kickoff job. He also expects five true freshman to play Thursday — Graham, linebackers Sterling Lucas and Dwayne Maddox, cornerback Dominique Ellis and fullback Taylor Gentry.

I wish I was going to be in Columbia for this game Thursday, the scene is going to be electric.

Practice Report: Gamecock Walk is Born

August 26, 2008
<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("[FONT=Franklin Gothic Heavy, Impact, Arial Black, Arial]Practice report: Gamecock Walk is born[/FONT]
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "Practice report: Gamecock Walk is born "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "Practice report: Gamecock Walk is born"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
<NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
David Cloninger

Steve Spurrier said it was important to have his players know how passionate South Carolina fans were.

They'll get to find out first-hand, and not from simply playing in front of a sold-out crowd at Williams-Brice Stadium.

"We're going to have a Gamecock walk," Spurrier said. "Our players are going to get out of the bus about two hours and 15 minutes before the game. So it should happen about 5:45 (p.m.).

"All the fans are invited, those that would like, to be right on the corner of Bluff Road here and our locker room. And we're going to walk through the parking lot about 30 yards or so, 30-40 yards, and if our players want to high-five the fans, give them a fist bump, something like that, then we're going to do it. Seems like every school in the nation is doing that now, we've not done it, we're going to start doing it."

On the last night of practice before Thursday's season-opener hosting N.C. State, the questions surrounding the Gamecocks seemed to have been mostly answered. Or rather, nobody knew anything different to ask since every topic's been covered in a month of preseason camp.

So Spurrier announced a treat for the fans among the standard X's and O's, declaring he wanted his team to fully realize how much it's adored among the garnet and black faithful.

"They need to know the importance of playing football for the University of South Carolina," Spurrier said. "And our fans are the ones that demonstrate how important it is. We're going to do the Gamecock walk. Should be around 5:45."

The walk will be at the Southwest corner of Williams-Brice Stadium, across from the Bluff Road practice fields. The Gamecocks will march through a row of fans to the locker room.

It's open to anybody who wants to be there.

In other news, Spurrier said he wasn't upset with senior tailback Mike Davis, who lost his starting role to redshirt junior Taylor Rank on Monday. Davis, who injured his shoulder on Aug. 7 and suffered through a stomach virus soon after, missed several practices while Rank was present.

That's the reason, Spurrier said, Rank got the nod. It wasn't to prod Davis into trying to get back out to practice.

"No, Mike hasn't hit a whole lot in preseason," Spurrier said. "Taylor's had a very good preseason, done everything we've asked and so forth. No, I'm not unhappy with Mike's effort. He'll be fine."

Spurrier said on Monday that Davis will check in early on Thursday, although Rank was the starter. He said on Tuesday that Davis, Rank, Brian Maddox, Eric Baker and Bobby Wallace would all suit up as options at tailback.

The offensive line seems to be permanent (for this week), Spurrier saying right tackle Justin Sorensen, right guard Heath Batchelor, center Garrett Anderson, left guard Lemuel Jeanpierre and left tackle Hutch Eckerson were set to start. Eckerson and backup Jarriel King should each play, while Kyle Nunn and Quintin Richardson could see some time at right tackle.

"We'll play Hutch Eckerson and Jarriel King at left tackle, we knew that was going to happen," Spurrier said. "They're pretty even the way we see it right now."

Spurrier mentioned Batchelor was making some mental errors in practice, but would start.

"Just picking him out right now," he said. "Trying to eliminate mental errors and he's one that's made a couple. We don't need to make any. Don't need to open the gates on our quarterback, try to give him some really good protection. Everybody wants to kick an SEC team. We're expecting a tough, physical game."

Starting spur Darian Stewart should be ready to go after battling a foot arch sprain over the past two weeks. USC will probably hold a walk-through tonight but is otherwise off until Thursday. Kickoff is slated for 8:01 p.m.

Also on Tuesday, the Gamecocks received some good fortune at the expense of N.C. State. Running back Jamelle Eugene, the "Energizer Bunny," will not play on Thursday due to an ankle injury. According to The Wolfpacker, Eugene, safety Javon Walker, guard Chris Crouch, Thomas Barnes, Kyle Linney and Sam Jones won't play on Thursday. Barnes and Linney are looking to transfer and Jones didn't qualify academically.

NOTES: Kevin Young, Reggie Bowens, Jay Spearman, Donte'e Nicholls and Melvin Ingram were in yellow jerseys. Safety Tori Childers, a day after getting some snaps with the regular defense, was back in a scout team jersey.

Back