Is the SEC overrated?

GoIrish!

Pretty much a regular
I bring this up because they put 8 out of 14 sec teams in the top 25. Has the SEC got to a point that it is overrated at this point? Obviously...Bama is not overrated and will continue to be the face of College football

I have noticed the SEC is losing to teams out of conference that they haven't happened in recent years......such as Miami, Clemson..ect...

:searching:

I don't know if it's overrated or not, but the middle of the pack SEC teams get the benefit of the doubt more than they should IMO. Then, when they play similar OOC teams and lose, ESPN acts like it's some huge upset when oftentimes, the OOC team was better to begin with. I think Bama, UGA (healthy), LSU, and aTm can play with anyone. I wouldn't put A&M in that group if it wasn't for Manziel, but he is insane and will keep that team in every game he plays, no matter how bad the defense is. UGA is ripe for the picking right now because of how beat up they are. But even with that, the teams they lost to are a combined 12-0, and they beat the #6 and 11 teams this year. UF has two losses against the #6 and 10 teams, so they are likely in that group as well, especially with the way they play defense. This year, I think there are more challengers to those teams than in years past. Oregon, Stanford, tOSU, FSU, Clemson, and maybe Baylor could all present problems for the SEC top. They would boatrace the bottom 8 teams in the SEC, as would several other teams in the Pac12.

As for this week's poll, I find it amusing that Auburn gets a bump for beating a team that 95% of BCS teams would beat just as bad, while teams like Wisconsin and Michigan get ranked lower. Maybe AU is a top 25 team, but beating W.Carolina doesn't change anything IMO

I think there are 5 good SEC teams this year the rest are middle of the pack teams that get the benefit of the doubt because they are in the SEC. With all the injuries to Georgia that leaves 4 good teams (Bama, LSU, TAMU & South Cock). Teams like Missouri & Auburn are ranked because of their record. Any 6-0 team should be ranked at this point. Florida is up there because of a name.

But Georgia was a Top 10 team as well but with injuries now they are in for a tough time. That healthy Georgia team gave us possibly the game of the year vs. Clemson. Clemson is a solid Top 5 team and that game could have gone either way.

I agree with what you guys are saying.....i'm not saying the SEC is overrated...just seeing what the opinion is out there. IMO..there is going to be a time where the scale is going to tip and there will be a shift in power. When that will be..i'm not sure. I just see these Big 12 teams coming into the SEC and doing well...plus scores are getting a lot higher....leaving SEC team vulnerable because there D's aren't as good.

Just wonderin...if there should be a fade at some point gambling wise...maybe like GPS said..the fade should come with middle of the pack SEC teams and not the top teams because there are getting the benefit of being in the SEC

I don't see much overrating. I think you could rank 7 in the top 25 and definitely no fewer than 6. Florida is the 7th fringe team and I personally do not rank Auburn in there yet.

It is the largest conference in the country at 14 teams and those former Big 12 teams are combined 11-1 with just 4 of those wins being vs SEC members and just one of those 4 has a winning record currently. So I think time will shake things out. I don't believe the season will finish with 8 ranked SEC teams, probably more like 6 at season's end.

I also think that the SEC teams like Auburn and Florida are still in the rankings because the lack of Big Ten teams that normally are in the rankings. There are only 2 Big Ten teams ranked, when was the last time that happened?

So it's not that SEC teams are overrated, it is just they are benefiting from another historically strong conference being down in terms of rankings.

I think the past few years that the top 2-3 SEC teams are typically the best teams in the country. But, I really believe 3 or 4 through 8 are the most overated teams in the country. When these teams play bowl games that are either nailbiters or lose, it's always blamed on the SEC team just not caring.

I can find about 20-25 non-SEC teams that arguably deserve to be ranked ahead of Auburn, which is the most dubious selection from the SEC. So maybe Auburn shouldn't be ranked, but I think Auburn is a top-30 team, so their inclusion is not exactly a travesty.

ole miss beat the best team in the big 12.. but yes overall the conference is overrated.(not being sarcastic)

I think there are 5 good SEC teams this year the rest are middle of the pack teams that get the benefit of the doubt because they are in the SEC. With all the injuries to Georgia that leaves 4 good teams (Bama, LSU, TAMU & South Cock). Teams like Missouri & Auburn are ranked because of their record. Any 6-0 team should be ranked at this point. Florida is up there because of a name.

But Georgia was a Top 10 team as well but with injuries now they are in for a tough time. That healthy Georgia team gave us possibly the game of the year vs. Clemson. Clemson is a solid Top 5 team and that game could have gone either way.

If Gurley does not suffer a quad injury and has more than 12 carries, UGA wins that game. But that is sports. Injuries happen and the very best teams are able to overcome them because they have depth and balance. Now to the defense of UGA, they've had an unusual amount of injuries on the offensive side of the ball and everyone knew going into the season that the D would struggle and the O would have to carry them.

Clemson's time is coming in another month. :cigarguy:

Maybe A&M is down a bit because of a weaker D, and UGA is down NOW with all the injuries, but Mizzou and especially Auburn are better than last year, and I can't say the conference as a whole is down.

Back