Is David Blatt stupid?

It's pretty unprecedented, or completely unprecedented, I doubt anyone with that winning percentage at midway, off a finals appearance, ever got the axe before in a major US sport (even hockey).

But his relationship with Lebron has been pretty clumsy. I'm not saying this whole thing reflects well on Lebron, but let's be honest that Blatt's winning percentage has 99% to do with having Lebron on the team.

even the shitty Mike Brown could have had that winning percentage with Lebron

Case in point, I believe Blatt's winning percentage in games in which Lebron didn't play is not so hot.

Not the same thing, obviously, but didn't Girardi get canned after winning Manager Of The Year? Still, this falls on LeBron - all the disrespect he showed Blatt the last season and a half comes home to roost if he doesn't deliver in June.

Case in point, I believe Blatt's winning percentage in games in which Lebron didn't play is not so hot.
You sure? Seems to me games when James and Irving sat out were about the only times Love actually showed he could carry this team if given the opportunity.

It's pretty unprecedented, or completely unprecedented, I doubt anyone with that winning percentage at midway, off a finals appearance, ever got the axe before in a major US sport (even hockey).

But his relationship with Lebron has been pretty clumsy. I'm not saying this whole thing reflects well on Lebron, but let's be honest that Blatt's winning percentage has 99% to do with having Lebron on the team.

Obviously in the end, players are the ones that play and win. Coaches just try and put them in the best situation to do that, if it's plays, rotation and so on...
Just saying that Cleveland obviously hit the panic button. Again, I think it was the right move - I just think they should have done it in the summer of 2016. They couldn't do it in summer of 2015, since Blatt did great job in the Playoffs, but I do feel he deserved the chance to win the title with full roster.
I also believe that Cleveland could have done much better job, trying to show Bron he doesn't run the team and by doing that, they would have helped Blatt hugely.
But they did the opposite. They didn't only fire Blatt, but instead of signing authority figure - one that wouldn't have it, if Bron dared to challenge his decisions, they signed the one that Bron wanted - Lue.

To be honest, Cleveland would be underdogs in the NBA Finals no matter who coaches and they will get to the Finals as well, no matter who coaches. But I personally, believe that Blatt can do a better job than Lue and that in the end, Bron in his 31 years, is not Bron of 27 - 29 years...

Yep. This is the coach he wanted from the jump. Now he's got him, let's see how it turns out.

Not the same thing, obviously, but didn't Girardi get canned after winning Manager Of The Year? Still, this falls on LeBron - all the disrespect he showed Blatt the last season and a half comes home to roost if he doesn't deliver in June.

Don't know about Girardi, but George Carl was fired from Denver (or more accurate wasn't renewed if I remember correctly) after winning the COY...

actually, it sounds like Lebron wanted Mark Jackson, and according to Adrian Wojo front office made the right decision not catering to that Lebron request

You sure? Seems to me games when James and Irving sat out were about the only times Love actually showed he could carry this team if given the opportunity.

I don't know what the figure is, but when Bron took his little mysterious two-week sabbatical last season, think they went winless or close to it. Can't help the %.

how bad would it be for Lebron's legacy if he doesn't bring a title to Cleveland?

I don't know, but ESPN would look really stupid rating him as the best SF of all times for sure...

Durant said it and I 100% agree - you shouldn't rate an player, if he is still playing...

actually, it sounds like Lebron wanted Mark Jackson, and according to Adrian Wojo front office made the right decision not catering to that Lebron request

I recall the Mark Jackson chatter, but they couldn't really change coaches before Blatt coached a game. I think bringing in Lue was a Bron move, and I think Blatt felt threatened ever since.

does anyone really believe they could beat GSW in a 7 game series without HCA?

Spurs maybe.

They don't seem built to defend against Golden State. At this point I wonder how the hell they got to game six. Maybe Lue can coach 'em up.

how bad would it be for Lebron's legacy if he doesn't bring a title to Cleveland?

Would take a big hit, locally anyway. Bitter disappointment would breed resentment. Clock's ticking too.

is it pretty much agreed upon that Wiggins will be a superstar player?

I don't think so, think ceiling is an all star caliber player

the real mismanagement was hiring blatt before lebron made his decision.

well LEbron did hold the entire league hostage , for of course his own selfish reasons so he could come out looking like some hometown hero.

But, your point is valid. What was the hurry in hiring a coach after Cal and Izzo said no? So maybe Blatt gets hired by someone else, umm who cares

is it pretty much agreed upon that Wiggins will be a superstar player?

I don't think so, think ceiling is an all star caliber player
It's so hard to judge a second year player in those terms...

He is a good player. We will need to wait and see how good he will be...

Last edited:
As long as Curry, Klay, Draymond and Kawhi exist, LeBron ain't winning no more titles.

Unless the league steps in or KD signs with Cleveland this off-season.

And the latter is no guarantee to win a 'ship.

Tonight's loss to the Bulls was more embarrassing than the Dubs loss.

Lose to a struggling team on a back to back by double-digits.

I don't know what loss was worst, but Cleveland was just absolutely horrible. Don't think you can blame coach for players that can't make a shot, but it was very ugly...

As long as Curry, Klay, Draymond and Kawhi exist, LeBron ain't winning no more titles.

Unless the league steps in or KD signs with Cleveland this off-season.

And the latter is no guarantee to win a 'ship.

Lebron's best days are clearly behind him. Let's be real.

Cavs looked pretty bad tonight. Am I missing something or is it okay for me to ask why they are shooting so many threes? The only guys shooting threes should be Love and JR. LeBron should never shoot outside 15 feet because he doesn't need to. So big and fast and skilled inside 15. I don't get his thought process on the 3. They could have taken that game from the Bulls on several occasions but poor 3 selection and plain terrible from the line prevented that.

Cavs looked pretty bad tonight. Am I missing something or is it okay for me to ask why they are shooting so many threes? The only guys shooting threes should be Love and JR. LeBron should never shoot outside 15 feet because he doesn't need to. So big and fast and skilled inside 15. I don't get his thought process on the 3. They could have taken that game from the Bulls on several occasions but poor 3 selection and plain terrible from the line prevented that.

Why? Because for most of the game they were lazy and didn't move the ball around. The personnel doesn't mesh well IMO. You have too many selfish players on one team. JR is great.... When he's not shooting the game away. The fact that Delly became an overnight household name is another issue in of itself. Plus some of these bench players....

Both Lue and Bron blamed the loss on the shape... saying they are out of shape, since coach (didn't specify, coach Bron or coach Lue) wants them to play faster pace. But... they lost the first quarter 14 - 21 already and they played not a young team, playing B2B - while they had a day off...

the real mismanagement was hiring blatt before lebron made his decision.

This!
Bring in a rookie coach... ( Divol, I know exactly what he did in Europe), don't recall who else may have been available but this subject needs to be discussed more.... was SVG available? who else?

Kerr had much more experience... and now Lue... two decades of being a coach, multiple titles...

I'm arguing that Blatt has experience and that it shouldn't be an argument. I honestly don't know how to judge Blatt or Kerr or Lue in terms of NBA coach. We saw that when Walton took over the team, they played even better than last season.
Obviously Blatt had a lot of adjustments to do, since NBA is so different. But I doubt Donovan has any advantage over him in that area or Kerr or now Lue. Yes, there are things they know better, as far as being in the NBA goes. But... Blatt has the advantage of knowing how to actually do coaching (just like Donovan) in crucial moments. Being a player or assistant coach doesn't prepare to a situation when the game is on the line and you need to make the call or things don't go your way and you must improvize and so on...

Also, I believe that Cleveland did the right thing, not waiting for Bron, regardless of whom they would have signed. Bron held the entire league hostage and it shouldn't be the case. Bron could have easily said to Cleveland that he wants to come back and they would have prepared accordingly. But he milked all the attention he could get...

I'm arguing that Blatt has experience and that it shouldn't be an argument. I honestly don't know how to judge Blatt or Kerr or Lue in terms of NBA coach. We saw that when Walton took over the team, they played even better than last season.
Obviously Blatt had a lot of adjustments to do, since NBA is so different. But I doubt Donovan has any advantage over him in that area or Kerr or now Lue. Yes, there are things they know better, as far as being in the NBA goes. But... Blatt has the advantage of knowing how to actually do coaching (just like Donovan) in crucial moments. Being a player or assistant coach doesn't prepare to a situation when the game is on the line and you need to make the call or things don't go your way and you must improvize and so on...

Also, I believe that Cleveland did the right thing, not waiting for Bron, regardless of whom they would have signed. Bron held the entire league hostage and it shouldn't be the case. Bron could have easily said to Cleveland that he wants to come back and they would have prepared accordingly. But he milked all the attention he could get...

couldn't you argue that these 20 plus years in Europe is a red flag against him. I mean if he was so good shouldn't he have been brought over years ago?

are you arguing that BLatt is the better option than Kerr because of his decades of experience?

How is Kerr better than Walton? Better than Blatt? Better than Lue? How can we even compare?! If Lue fails to get to the NBA Finals, that's probably on him, since he has the roster to get there. If he manages to win in the Finals, over healthy GSW or Spurs, that's also because of him, because both teams have better rosters.

Back