Is Andy Murray Scottish or British?

twinkie13

In transit, arriving late.
I saw a joke that said Scot when he loses and British when he wins. I literally had no clue, and not that it a huge deal but figured the tennis guys could expound on it. So is the 77 year old deal broken when he has a a Scottish flag by his name?

Soooooo, the drought is still on? I know the Brits love Henman right? Henman Hill, etc...

They'll let it slide. Not like he's Irish or something.

Soooooo, the drought is still on? I know the Brits love Henman right? Henman Hill, etc...

hahah yeah he actually could careless he's had some thoughts on this whole issue, he is a true scotsman but they are trying to say he represents Great Britain

He is both Scottish and British, his passport is British

this will explain it

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rNu8XDBSn10" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

He is both Scottish and British, his passport is British

this will explain it

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rNu8XDBSn10" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

Great Britain = England, Scotland, and Wales.

Murray is Scottish and British, but is not English. If that makes sense. lol

so the folks woulda rather Henman won than Andy

safe to say?

but this will suffice lol i guess

they just would have said English instead of British but it won't really matter

Murray didn't become popular until last years final, so if he won before that not a huge deal, but now it was huge

just as big (if not bigger) as any gold medal last year they won at the olympics

so the folks woulda rather Henman won than Andy

safe to say?

but this will suffice lol i guess

absolutely
like I said before Murray was not much of a popular player because of exactly what you had pointed out in the first player. A lot of my English friends say that, he is the most beloved but also most scrutinized player in their view.

Also not too sure what guaranteed is saying....Murray is from Scotland, just because he's got a British passport doesn't mean shit. The guy has made it clear he's a Scotsmen to begin with, the media have made a twist to it and so the fiasco has begun. He could careless now because he's making money

He can want to be Scottish all he wants

He's british

Just like someone born in wales or England

They weren't saying 77 years since.an English man won

it was british and he is british by every definition

He can want to be Scottish all he wants

He's british

Just like someone born in wales or England

They weren't saying 77 years since.an English man won

it was british and he is british by every definition

give me a break dude really? So please tell me why do we have a Scotland football team and then an England team?
He doesn't give a shit, Murray has always noted he is a Scotsmen
Sir Alex Ferguson is not British he claims to be a Scotsmen
Ryan Giggs is Welsh.

So you are British Columbian and not Canadian? Sheesh

give me a break dude really? So please tell me why do we have a Scotland football team and then an England team?
Ryan Giggs is Welsh.

hating on the women's final pick and now this as well? What Guaranteed says is correct even though I think it is complete bull shit. It pisses me off to not see the Scot flag a flying. Fuck the queen. Give me a single malt any day of the week. But, again, Guaranteed is correct. Go take a history lesson, son.

Ryan Giggs is Welsh.

Well, no he would be British Columbian as well as Canadian. Just like Murray is Scotish as well as British.

If Andy Murray DOES want to be known as a Scot, why doesn't he or his his agent say something to the TV exec's about which flag is flying by his name while he is playing? I get the GB thing but I don't get it. Know what I mean? This is what we are collectively confused about.

If Andy Murray DOES want to be known as a Scot, why doesn't he or his his agent say something to the TV exec's about which flag is flying by his name while he is playing? I get the GB thing but I don't get it. Know what I mean? This is what we are collectively confused about.
I see the Scottish when I search him

not sure what TV shows

I'm not sure, but it'd be like an American claiming to be a Texan because he's from Texas but not an American. He's from Great Britain so that's what they're going with I guess, especially since it made a much better story at Wimbeldon.

I see the Scottish when I search him

not sure what TV shows

TV apparently showed him as being from the UK or Great Britain. He is Scotish, so it's not a surprise you see that when you search for him. Scotland falls under the UK/Great Britain umbrella so, again, he is both Scotish and British.

I'm not sure, but it'd be like an American claiming to be a Texan because he's from Texas but not an American. He's from Great Britain so that's what they're going with I guess, especially since it made a much better story at Wimbeldon.

hahaha unreal, Texas is not a separate country....Scotland is

hahaha unreal, Texas is not a separate country....Scotland is

Yes Mike, I know that. I was referring simply to the fact that 50 states fall under "American" and that Scotland, England, and Wales fall under "British." It's the same concept right? It just made explaining it easier.

Yes Mike, I know that. I was referring simply to the fact that 50 states fall under "American" and that Scotland, England, and Wales fall under "British." It's the same concept right? It just made explaining it easier.

No it doesn't because you don't see people representing Texas in an international event.

The problem here is that there is quite a mix up with this whole concept of Great Britain. During the olympics yes people will represent Great Britain, but yet in other sports athletes are represented as English, Welsh, Northern Ireland or Scottish.

What you and teed are saying are not wrong but end of the day Andy Murray will say himself that he is a Scotsmen

No it doesn't because you don't see people representing Texas in an international event.

The problem here is that there is quite a mix up with this whole concept of Great Britain. During the olympics yes people will represent Great Britain, but yet in other sports athletes are represented as English, Welsh, Northern Ireland or Scottish.

What you and teed are saying are not wrong but end of the day Andy Murray will say himself that he is a Scotsmen

Never mind Mike. It was an analogy, and evidently one that you don't like.

At the end of the day, whether he's a Scotsman or not, he's also British. Sounds like they should do something about that over on the other side of the pond, because it clearly has a few guys on here up in a tizzy. I can only imagine the arguments going on over in Scotland right now about Andy Murray.

At the end of the day, whether he's a Scotsman or not, he's also British. Sounds like they should do something about that over on the other side of the pond, because it clearly has a few guys on here up in a tizzy. I can only imagine the arguments going on over in Scotland right now about Andy Murray.

This.
As said in the very first post, he's British when he wins but he is Scottish when he loses

Here in Scotland people have complained that in the eyes of the London media Murray was British when he won, Scots when he lost. (My wife points out that some of the Scottish press have reversed the descriptions.) It’s all rather dotty, like most expressions of nationalist feeling.

Some in England may have resented Murray for going that bit further than Tim Henman managed, while on the other hand some Scots found Henman too Home Counties English, just as some English people find, or affect to find, Murray too Scots. The truth is of course that Henman was a very good player, and just as Murray was unfortunate to come up against Federer in two finals which he lost, so too Henman was unlucky to find Pete Sampras on the other side of the net in two of his four Wimbledon semi-finals. It would seem however that Henman and Murray have always enjoyed a good relationship, with Henman playing the role of mentor to the younger man. Each very evidently feels respect for the other, which is as it should be.

Patriotism has one naturally supporting one’s own, but it seems to be a narrow sort of Englishness that can’t accept Murray as British as well as Scots, and an equally narrow form of Scottishness that refuses to recognise that, like Sir Chris Hoy or indeed Sir Alex Ferguson, he is comfortable with the dual Scottish-British identity.

i totally see what you are getting at, but Texas is a state and Scotland is a country. Puerto Rico falls under some sort of American rule yet their countrymen and women fly the PR flag 100%.

I relish a good debate/argument, but that is one I'd simply watch and keep my trap shut! Heck, I might even just walk out of the room.

i totally we what you are getting at, but Texas is a state and Scotland is a country. Puerto Rico falls under some sort of American rule yet their countrymen and women fly the PR flag 100%.

Well, I don't know what else to say. Over there, they fly the UK/Great Britain flag I guess. The fact that Texas is a state has nothing to do with my trying to explain it. That's how it is over on the other side of the pond. Write someone an angry e-mail and see if they'll change it.

i totally see what you are getting at, but Texas is a state and Scotland is a country. Puerto Rico falls under some sort of American rule yet their countrymen and women fly the PR flag 100%.

Scotland is not an independent country. The UK Parliament has authority over Scotland's territory, much like Puerto Rico and the US I would imagine. Scotland also does not have its own embassies in other independent countries.

Good raiders. Ready for football. American football. Hope all is well with you.

Good raiders. Ready for football. American football. Hope all is well with you.

You were probably talking about the CFL when you said American football, but have you ever watched Aussie Rules Football? It's definitely an awesome game to get into if you haven't. I would say it's a cross between soccer, rugby, and American football. There is non-stop action (unlike the NFL) and much, much more scoring. The playing field is 180 yards long too, so those mutha fuckas are in some damn good shape.

Scotland is not an independent country. The UK Parliament has authority over Scotland's territory, much like Puerto Rico and the US I would imagine. Scotland also does not have its own embassies in other independent countries.

Im with ya. Certainly not against ya in how you are trying to explain it. Just sayin is all. It's why I brought up the angle of Andy or his agent saying something. I imagine he could change that with one phone call; maybe two.

ku-medium.gif

Back