I'd like to talk football

Yeah which is really strange given that 1-7 is pretty competitive in this conference. Would expect more alternating by field.

On a completely unrelated note there is an awful lot of double (or more revenge) in some of the higher profile BE games. WV owes USF a couple as does Pitt. USF owes Rutgers a couple ass-kickings. Rutgers owes Cincy an ass-kicking or two. Pitt owes RU three now. A lot of streakyness and not a lot of teams alternating wins at home for instance.

This is a good point. Plenty of these strange situations.

my brain stops functioning at midnight local time which is now. ill add thoughts to whatever you guys are talking about tomorrow.

Been reading Steele

First, Oklahoma maybe under the radar due to bowl performances but they are going undefeated in the regular folks. Best Line play on both sides of the ball in the history of college football. well best this year
Demarco Murray darkhorse for heisman

----UCONN, IMO is not lucky and overrated. Last year only 3 games were decided by 5 points or less and one of them they lost to Virginia. Lorenzen IMO is a winning type of qb, he manages, uglies it up yeah but he gets key 3rd downs and great TD-interception ratio.

Obviously, they don't have talent difference on other teams so the games will be close, but they are coached well and opportunistic.

I liken them to Wake in the ACC. Wake has about comparable talent compared to their conference. Wake oftentimes comes through with pick sixes just like UConn, or big plays to make the difference.

UCONN will be good once again baby. Here is my Steele synopsis

OL – LY only replace 2, most veteran group in 3 years, they had (3.9) but trimmed sack total to 30. This year they have by far the most veteran unit in years as 6 return with 8 or more career starts. The only loss is 1<SUP>st</SUP> BE RG Donald Thomas (#6DC MIA). Their 99 career starts returning ar eth 9<SUP>th</SUP> most in 1A. Edsall said, “we weren’t as physical as I wanted this year and that’s going to be a big emphasis this offseason."
DL - Last year, had 6 of top 8 back, but had to replace two starters including top DL. Allowed 4.4ypc but 30 sacks. This year they lose starting DT but have 7 of top 8 back.
LB – Most experienced lb corps in past few years.
DB – LY returned top 2 cbs plus SS had 12-23 ratio moved up to #25. This year they lose their top 2 dbs including cb Tyvon Branch 2<SUP>nd</SUP> BE (#4DC OAK).

----Pitt and USF are class of Big East. West Virginia won't be able to stop anybody.

What about this Stephen Garcia kid for South Carolina Redshirt Freshman??

---PS#10 and mobile Spurrier wants that.

Can't bet them without a change

Been reading Steele

First, Oklahoma maybe under the radar due to bowl performances but they are going undefeated in the regular folks. Best Line play on both sides of the ball in the history of college football. well best this year

----UCONN, IMO is not lucky and overrated. Last year only 3 games were decided by 5 points or less and one of them they lost to Virginia. Lorenzen IMO is a winning type of qb, he manages, uglies it up yeah but he gets key 3rd downs and great TD-interception ratio.

Obviously, they don't have talent difference on other teams so the games will be close, but they are coached well and opportunistic.

I liken them to Wake in the ACC. Wake has about comparable talent compared to their conference. Wake oftentimes comes through with pick sixes just like UConn, or big plays to make the difference.

OL – LY only replace 2, most veteran group in 3 years, they had (3.9) but trimmed sack total to 30. This year they have by far the most veteran unit in years as 6 return with 8 or more career starts. The only loss is 1<SUP>st</SUP> BE RG Donald Thomas (#6DC MIA). Their 99 career starts returning ar eth 9<SUP>th</SUP> most in 1A. Edsall said, “we weren’t as physical as I wanted this year and that’s going to be a big emphasis this offseason."
DL - Last year, had 6 of top 8 back, but had to replace two starters including top DL. Allowed 4.4ypc but 30 sacks. This year they lose starting DT but have 7 of top 8 back.
DB – LY returned top 2 cbs plus SS had 12-23 ratio moved up to #25. This year they lose their top 2 dbs including cb Tyvon Branch 2<SUP>nd</SUP> BE (#4DC OAK).

----Pitt and USF are class of Big East. West Virginia won't be able to stop anybody.

Could you elaborate on this? Obviously, they lose an awful lot, but they were statistically the best D in the Big East last year. I don't think they were a good as those numbers showed, but they were quite good.

Also, who will stop them? They probably have one of the five best OL in the country.

I am basing it off of the quality starters that were lost on D. On the DL 2 all Big East players in Dykes and Dingle. Most importantly, the entire secondary all 4 starters from last year are gone and many contributors. I'm sure with that secondary the last few years they could bring alot more schematically in stopping the run and blitzing.

Phil Steele despite putting WVU #1 writes this

"Just 12 returning starters (2<SUP>nd</SUP> fewest Big East). Making changes to the offense with the new playbook and coupled with last year’s plus 13 in turnovers and the new HC, those are not good signs."

----I will say this, the DC returns for the 8th year did not go to Michigan. (with additition of Holliday and Lockwood recruiting future looks bright).

THE UNKNOWN about Phil Steele is that unless we are diehards for every team, we have little idea about the quality new starters replacing old ones. Sometimes they are an upgrade, and why Steele is always going "despite losing 3 starters, they surprisingly improved."

Phil relies too heavily on PS #s, transfers from another schools, 40s, benches, it's not reliable.

IMO too lose your entire secondary and two solid dlineman (in a 3 man front) at a school like WVU (talent but this isn't Texas, UF, USC) their has to be concerns because they have not performed in the past with these amounts of departures.

WVU might not perform that much worse on D, who knows. On offense that line is great but they lose their star go to guy wr in Darius Reynaud and that is huge considering their style of offense passing is predicated on go to guy. Last year WVU was stopped twice running by USF and Pitt. It can happen and without the big play WVU doesn't look unstoppable.

This year their schedule sets up pretty nice but I always take defense vs. offense. And I take offensive lines that can grind meat 3, 4, 5 yards at a time not some feast or famine attack that can get you into trouble. WVU oftentimes has 3rd and longs and without Darius Reynaud this year to throw too. Without Schmidt at FB they have 170 lbs and 185 lbs back there.

Been reading Steele

I suppose it depends how you view turnovers.

They were outgained by 282 yards last year and did not outgain a single conference opponent not named syracuse.

Back