Hulu's CFL 2018

1* Ottawa -2 -113
0.5*/0.5* Montreal +2/ML -104/+115
1* Hamilton +7.5 -109

Write-ups later. 2 more bets I'm considering as well.

Sammy stop me from doing something crazy this week! I want to bet Montreal!

Trust your gut instinct. If you feel it’s crazy it just may be crazy to bet it.

Betting on Drew Willy is never a good idea. Although Montreal defense looked good with stubler Drew willy and a bad o line is about the worst combination ever.

Winnipeg will start Strevelet again. Tough game but I feel the defenses should rule in this one.

I say the game is a toss up. However can we give our hard earned money on silly willy?

I say never bet on a bad team. Your not getting enough points.

Interesting you like Ottawa?

It’s a tough game. But I lean sask. Harris may not be 100 percent and Ottawa o line may start 4 Canadians and McMillan is injured.

I feel Hughes and Jefferson and Evans will pressure Harris.
I like sask defense quite a bit.

I think playing the extra game will help for sask. especially since Ottawa is rolling out a new defense with Thorpe with al new players.

Also I feel messam can run on Ottawa. They will start a Canadian on the d line due to ratio concerns

All good points Sammy. Week 2 is always a struggle for me. I feel like its the best week to be contrarian because the market overreacts to week 1. So that's why you'll notice a contrarian bent to my thinking this week beyond pure X's and O's and personnel.

Ottawa -2 - Really wanted a 1 or 1.5 here because the Redblacks play so many close games of late but hopefully I won't get burned with the -2. Seems like all the buzz this week is about Sasquatch and how they outperformed expectations. Their defense looked more solid than expected. Chris Jones idea of platooning Cam Judge with Sam Hurl at MLB turned out to work pretty well and the secondary made few errors. Also, rumors of their offensive line's demise were greatly exaggerated. Collaros faced some pressure but not every play. But to me the story in week 1 was more about Toronto's rustiness due to many of their starters not playing a snap of preseason ball. They were rusty and flat and it showed...but of course all anyone is talking about is the green riders. I still think they are an average football club and I think they look more human this week. Betting the redblacks is risky considering they had a week one bye and have not faced live game action but I am willing to go against this here. Ottawa's season was ended by Saskatchewan and they've been talking about this game all through camp. Its been a rallying cry for them and they want some revenge here. I'm willing to lay a unit that they get it. Also of note, DB Nick Marshall was added to the DL this week and now it looks like Chris Jones will employ Duron Carter exclusively as a DB this game. I'm not sure how I feel about that but even if he succeeds as a DB, you're down your star receiver. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Montreal +2 & ML - The ALs are going to win some games this season so the trick is to look for those 3 or 4 good spots where they might be able to pull it off. I think this is one. Chris Streveler didn't look great but not as awful as he could have either. I think he was hugely aided by the lightning delays which seriously put the Esks off their game for much of the second half. Maybe this is my own bias but it seems the history of this league is littered with QBs who played one good game and then came back down to earth (I could list about dozen right off the top of my head). Heading out on the road against a really good defense after that gruelling 6 hour game, I think this is where Streveler falters. On the other side, I saw bits of Drew Willy that were reminiscent of his first season when he burst onto the scene. He didn't manage to keep it up all game and the final 2 minute drill was a sad joke but I saw enough that if he can build on it, the ALs may win even 5 or 6 games this year. I just have a gut feel that this is a spot they get one of them. I may add if this reaches 3.

Hamilton +7.5 & over 55 - Edmonton is still a great team and tied for first with Calgary on my current power rankings but they showed last week that some units are still a work in progress. The OL and DL still have to show some improvement for starters. They were painfully thin at DB last week with starters Colquhoun, Adams and Grymes all out as well as backup Hightower. This week Grymes and Hightower return but they are still thin. LB Adam Konar and DT Mike Moore were also added to the DL this week. Its looking like 2017 all over again for the eskies. For whatever reason, Hamilton has played Edmonton close over the past few season despite residing at the opposite end of the standings. I think its something like 6-2-1 ATS over the past 4 seasons, including a respectable 4-0 ATS in Edmonton for the tabbies. I saw enough from the cats last week to show me they can hang with good teams and I think they can hang within a score in this one. I made the line 6 and would only bet it at 7.5 or higher. As for the total, there is no question that Edmonton can score and I think against the Eskies banged up defense the cats can too. I made the number 55.5 but my gut tells me this one could be a shootout.

Random thoughts

Ottawa and Montreal lines moved against me but I still like everything I played. Should’ve just been more patient waiting for movement.

No word yet on whether Delvin Breaux will play for the tabbies on Friday but he has been practising with the 1st team defense.

It’s looking like Edmonton will also be without receiver Vidal Hazleton in addition to their other injuries. Cats are down to +6.5 at most shops now and the total up to 56.5. I like both bets on this game.

Chip Cox enters the lineup in Montreal. John Bowman was practising but left and hasn’t been back so no word on whether he goes this week.

Looks like the cats will have Terrance Tolliver and Delvin Breaux in the lineup tomorrow night.

Looks like the cats will have Terrance Tolliver and Delvin Breaux in the lineup tomorrow night.

Cats will be much improved with Breaux and tooliver.

Breaux was on his way to becoming the premiere cover guy in the cfl. Big pickup for Hamilton.

Toliver adds some much needed size at 6’5 to the cats smaller receivers.

I’m going live to the Ottawa sask game.

Perfect day for football. Right around 20 degrees.

Like the write ups. Can’t disagree with the logic behind them.

I feel Ottawa sask will be a defensive game.

Ottawa o line questions with injuries
No Duron Carter on offense
Rusty collaros and Harris rusty little injured
Duron Carter to cover deonte spencer Ottawa’s big play receiver.
New fgoal kicker for Ottawa. Cis kicker

I went pretty large on the second half under Hulu. Bridge, 300 yards only in offense combined, correct offense is leading for the under side and really any repeat of the first half sans the ridiculous should see this under.

I am leaning strongly that way myself but can't seem to pull the trigger. Its a solid bet though...no way you see 2 pick sixes in the 2H

I meant 300 passing obviously.

You could see crazy stuff always but the game sure does have the face of an under

Back from the game, Ottawa defense wow looked really good in the secondary.

Some big time ball hawks on this team. Josh Johnson Rico Murray pruneau purifoy.

Sask was no match for them today. Good call on Ottawa.

Tomorrow I like Hamilton as well. Feel this game is very close. Edmonton injuries mounting again.

Adam konar Tommy draheim. Jamil smith.

Edmonton is a bit overrated. Hopefully delvin breau can cover Derel Walker to slow him down

Any thoughts on the Montreal total, Hulu? Leaning 1st half under as I can see both teams playing afraid of their QBs and closer to the vest to start after last weeks mistakes for both.

Any thoughts on the Montreal total, Hulu? Leaning 1st half under as I can see both teams playing afraid of their QBs and closer to the vest to start after last weeks mistakes for both.

I went ahead and added it.

If they are aggressive, nothing says they can't make mistakes in the right part of the field this time.

Sorry I'm a bit late here.

Not playing it myself but it would be under or nothing for me. I made this total 46 before the lines came out so I think its about right. And yeah I think 1H under might be the way to go.

Much appreciated, Hulu! Just cannot ever find myself trusting DW, so I hit the 1st H under.

BOL on all your Week 2 stuff, my friend.

I was a little slow as it powered through the 7. Luckily key numbers aren't as big a deal in cfl

Yup. The 6 and the 8 are only slightly less key than the 7.

4 and 5 are right up there too strangely enough.

Much appreciated, Hulu! Just cannot ever find myself trusting DW, so I hit the 1st H under.

BOL on all your Week 2 stuff, my friend.

I hear ya. I just get so nervous in these early season games because with the short preseason, there's still a lot of sloppy play early on so I never feel confident with early season totals.

I dunno vk. I'm feeling like I'm out on a pretty thin limb with the ALs here.

But I do see some improvement with Willy this year.

Als have had several blown coverages. Getting eaten alive on second down too. Rush is non-existent.

Offense I think looks interested so who knows.

But they are gonna have to figure something out on the defensive side to help themselves and it looks like they may not have the answers.

Some of these Bomber wr's are getting away with a hefty headstart too.

they gave him time on that sack just now. he held it forever.

This announcer cracks me up too.

None with a good reason. Normally like the humiliated team but they look hard to back right now.

I am letting this one go. Will just cheer for some sort of Als comeback but not with any money

See any 2H plays here? I'm not sure I do. Maybe under

God bless you guys if you are on the 2nd half under...Als haven’t adjusted once to the rook going underneath once. They can’t stop the run, their ST look shot and they’ve committed multiple stupid PF penalties.

I can only go Winnipeg 3rd Q if anything. bol on whatever you might venture into.

God bless you guys if you are on the 2nd half under...Als haven’t adjusted once to the rook going underneath once. They can’t stop the run, their ST look shot and they’ve committed multiple stupid PF penalties.

I can only go Winnipeg 3rd Q if anything. bol on whatever you might venture into.

Yeah not touching this one. Only reason I thought under is now that its a blowout the Bombers may go ultra conservative and just get out with the win. But with how sloppy the ALs are playing, they'll score an own goal if they can.

Well there is something wrong when I see this many guys uncovered (all were short but still) and don't see zone behind it. Meaning someone just missed an assignment.

They have also missed tackles and even been run over by Harris a couple times.

Bombers have a nice mix right now with some youthful energy out of the QB and some grounded, very cfl savvy wide receivers.

I missed a few plays it looks like because they showed some highlights showing the Als oline not blocking anyone. So I thought they were below average based on the plays I saw but I missed some early game ones where they just looked shitty it looks like. So I take back a bit of my defense for their performance. And what hulu said about Willy might then have come into play for the play he held it forever and then somehow getting sacked on a screen play.

There was some bad defensive body language on the TD before the last FG too from the Als.

-2.5 on the embarrassed home team for a 2h in a game with this score is usually near an autobet for me in professional football but I dunno if I can attack that with how Als looked the last 13 minutes of that half.

Yeah would be an autobet for me too but only if the home team has shown something. But this game is reminiscent of the cats 60-1 loss at Calgary last year. Just looks like their back is broken.

I am gonna throw 0.25 units at it. Just on the principle of it. I won't hate myself if they play like shit at all but I will hate myself if one of the better cfl angles is left behind without having something on it

Back