Homer deluxe

pressitup

Leader of the Adult Humor Industry
Ags over 8 wins

Ags -3

We've got the QB's. RSJ is healthy, if we can get him to think. Speedy gonna speed.
Josh Reynolds is healthy. Running Backs? We moved one to cornerback.
Garret and Hall get to welcome Daylon Mack to the fold.
Hopefully , I'm not tasting crow come Saturday night but I'm extremely confident in this team.

Good luck and ignore the homerism

Press

Supposed S/C coach quote..

"I know everyone wants to know about Daylon Mack. When you think about the D-line, you think about guys like Daylon, Myles (Garrett) and Daeshon (Hall) all on the same line. With Daylon, we have plenty of weights for him to lift. The Ags have given a lot of money to make sure we can fill that room with plenty of weights. I guess the thing I didn't anticipate, we use the standard bars that all weight rooms use, but he is so strong. When we were doing chain squats, with 33 pound chains hanging off each side of the bar, so you have 66 extra pounds when they are completely off the ground. So he has 600 pounds on the bar, plus the chains and that is all we could fit on the bar. We thought it was secure. He starts to go up, and the clamps come off so two of the plates slide off.

Most of the time, the guy crashes if something like that happens. This dude is so strong, that he recovers on one leg, finishes the squat and puts it back. So we have plenty of weights, but I had to order special bars, which finally made it to campus on Wednesday, that I'm going to have to use when he squats because we don't have bars long enough to slide all the weight on. We don't know what he can one-rep max, because we go up to 600, 700 pounds and he is still just repping. But we can't get enough weight on the bars to figure out his max, so we just put all the weight we can on it and let him rep."

"Daylon is absolutely the strongest guy I've coached as an incoming freshman. Myles would be the other guy that comes to mind. Myles is a total body guy. He can do the clings, kind of like a cat, Myles is that kind of guy. Myles, he doesn't know his strength. You'll get these guys that are just freakishly strong, but they don't know how strong they are, because they have never been pushed all the way to the limit. We're trying to figure out how strong these guys are. We're still trying to figure out how strong Myles is, because there is stuff he does every day that throws us off."

Snippets from the presser:

Kevin Sumlin
"Good afternoon. Just like everybody else, we're excited about this season. I think we've had an excellent camp, it's been a bit different for us. New feel, different energy from the players who arrived this summer, new coaches who have blended in well, we're practicing different concepts — from a coaching standpoint, there's a new energy. A team that finished up with a bowl win last year with a number of freshmen starting, coming into the season this year with their own expectations.

"The combination of some new schemes, new ideas, new players, this camp has been highly competitive and our guys are at the point right now where they're tired of running into each other and they're ready to play somebody else. That being said, Arizona State is a fine football team. Todd Graham continues to do a great job and has won everywhere he's been. ... A lot of familiarity in this game. Shawn Slocum is coaching special teams, co-DC Chris Ball and I lived together at Washington State. Coach Graham is very familiar with the state of Texas, has coached and competed collegiately in the state, and will have a lot of pride coming back to Houston.

"That we have a number of players from the Phoenix area becomes particularly important when the two teams have never played each other. ... Playing in NRG, which is as fine of a stadium as there is in the country, if you can't be excited to play in this game, you're probably doing the wrong thing."

On how Kyle Allen has responded to being the starter...
"You've heard me say this before: this season started for us December 31 of last year. Well, it started for him when they handed out that MVP trophy. We challenged him in January to become a better leader and increase his knowledge not only of our offense but the defense, football knowledge, overall IQ. He had an excellent spring, and part of that spring was him being the only scholarship quarterback we had. He got a number of quality reps, probably too many, then Kyler shows up and he's got great competition, and he's accepted that.

"He likes where he is right now from a growth standpoint; his growth has been mentally, but also physically. He was playing the bowl game at 190, 195 — he's 215 now. I think he's come along just fine."

On ASU WR D.J. Foster...
"He's electric. He's dynamic. They do a great job ... creating schemes that benefit the players. This guy is a nightmare. They line him up outside, hand it to him in the backfield, they're going to give it to him 'til his tongue hangs out. It's not the issue of finding him, because they're going to hand him the ball. He's going to touch it. We've just got to be aware. Those space tackles happen — you're going to have to make tackles in space.

"The big thing is going to be how we run to the ball. A guy like that is very hard to tackle 1-on-1, it's going to take team tackling and team pursuit. Chief has brought that, working really hard on getting to the ball. That being said, we have to be disciplined with our eyes, because if you do that they're going to stick it in his belly and then try and throw it over your head.

"Arizona State has really good team speed, always has, and a good scheme. They're going to try to get it to him as soon as they can. He's done it against a lot of people; we're going to see where we are right off the bat."

On the linebackers...
"I think that we've got a couple young guys that played really well at the end of the year. Josh Walker had some flashes; in the offseason, he's had a really productive offseason. A.J. (Hilliard), we've got to get him back going. Alaka, same thing. Shaan Washington had an excellent camp, first full (healthy) offseason since he's been here. He's the Shaan Washington that we recruited, 230-something pounds, not a safety that was in there playing linebacker and getting his collarbone broken and shoulders operated on.

"We've added three freshmen who are going to play special teams in this game. That takes some stress off these guys having to play both defense and special teams. All three freshmen linebackers will see time on kickoff. Riley Garner is going to start on that. Those guys are playing because game 5, 6, 8, 9, guys get beat up and we can get them out of the game and get in these guys that have experience and help with depth up front."

On Otaro Alaka and A.J. Hilliard's availability...
"I don't know that they will be. The injury report won't come from here. This is not pro football."

On Myles Garrett being team captain as a sophomore...
"I used to be a senior-led team guy. You want that. But when you've got a young guy who's taking every snap, like a quarterback, you're saying as a football team that you're trusting this guy with the football every snap, like Kyle. When you've got one of the most dynamic players in the country in Myles Garrett, you're kidding yourself if you think that when he speaks, people don't listen. And they'll look for him to make plays when it counts.

"We took restrictions off who can be captain and it was interesting as a coach to look at who got the votes. There were a number of votes spread out, but obviously the consensus was that our team thinks he's a leader — and that's important to me. If they think he's a leader, like I told him, whether you think you're a leader or not, you're a leader. You need to step outside yourself and become that. And he's made strides this offseason to do that."

On Christian Kirk...
"Just keep handling business. It's hard for freshmen. You can't get caught up in all that (playing a home-state team). The big thing is we're playing a top-20 opponent, at a neutral site, on national television. How a freshman's going to handle that might be a bit different than Kyle Allen. Christian played in some big games but I don't think he's ever played in NRG with the roof closed. Those young guys, I've told them all the time, first time I stepped on the field as a freshman things were happening so fast that I didn't know what was going on.

"So, the quicker we can get him calmed down, the better he'll be. Because talent-wise, physically and knowing what he's doing, he's ready. He's good to go at this level. So we just have to keep him focused and try to get him the ball early."

For Twink....

John Chavis
On Donovan Wilson's development since his arrival...
"He's come a long ways. Obviously Terry Joseph has done a great job with the entire back end in terms of getting progress. We're pleased with the progress he's made. We'll find out more in the game but we like where he's at right now."

On what he's anticipating the most on Saturday...
"It's the total process, playing the game. We've had a physical fall practice and we're tired of hitting each other; we want to compete with somebody else. We've got a feel for where we are and we'll find out a lot about our team Saturday night."

On the adjustments he's made...
"Not very many at all, to be honest with you. We don't have everything in yet, to be honest with you, we'll continue to grow, but we've got most of it end. We've got the athletes to run our system. I'm being honest with you. We've got two ends, we've got corners who can play outside and the nickel."

On Arizona State...
"They want to run the football and they'll get it on the perimeter. They've got three interior linemen who've seen a lot of football and they're athletic enough to get out on the perimeter and block. They've got a quarterback we had the opportunity to see in four or five ball games last year who's a very talented young man. You're going to see a team a lot of people are picking to win the league out there. They're very explosive offensively, they score a lot of points; we'll have a challenge. But we're looking forward to it."

On the linebackers...
"We've got work to do. We're getting there. I feel very good, to be honest with you. What concerns me is experience. In terms of playing time we're more experienced at end and corner than linebacker, but it's time for them to step up and play big-boy football. Because that's what's going to happen on Saturday."

On how much the corners have developed and Brandon Williams specifically...
"Brandon brought not just talent, but leadership. He's got expectations over there. That's made the room better, no doubt. It's a system where we'll play press-man, and we've got guys who can run and hit and have the hips to turn and run and do what we want them to do, and Brandon's one of those guys."

On his excitement level...
"It's going to be, in my opinion, outstanding. That's the way I feel about coaching. I get asked, 'How long can you do this, you've done it for 37 years?' I'll do it as long as someone will have me or until the butterflies aren't there anymore. And if you're asking me if I still have butterflies, I do still have butterflies. It's game week. I'm excited to be a part of the Aggie Football team going down there on Saturday.

"Is that a good one? That's a good one."

Jake Spavital

On Kyler Murray...
"You've got to play at least two quarterbacks, is what ends up happening. Kyle was named our starter; how we've handled the quarterback situation in the past, we like to announce the starter two weeks early to see how everyone reacts to it. Kyler is a very dynamic kid and we're going to keep evaluating him this week. We know his talent, but we want to see his maturity. We've told the quarterbacks that we know where they all are and they'll have a chance to play based on how they approach game week. Just have to strive to get better."

UNC ML +120
WKU/Vandy U62 missed the numbers, but late to the dance.
Utes -4.5

GL

Press

SMU +36.5
I go 3-1 last night Get up feeling pretty good and can find no trace of the tickets. Did it via phone. Oh well. Early Alzheimer's I guess.

GL

Press

6-1 posted
Actually better as I had Duke and over for KU/ULL.
That's 3 totals hit. Should probably call it a season on those.

And I needed it. My mother had her purse lost/stolen yesterday. She's in assisted living.
I post that to say this,
If your parents start to check with the bank about their accounts not balancing or numbers seem to be confusing. When they can't find that word and struggle to get it out. If you are unable to discern if something they tell you was a dream or real(for the two can intertwine). Watch their food in the fridge, in the cabinets. If they are on meds , find a way to make sure they taking them.
Don't write it off to just old people forgetting keys or forgetting to eat. When they follow you blindly without really paying attention to where they are walking , just mindlessly moving.
Trust me , when you figure it out , it will be too late. A slippery slope to have that discussion with your parents, but if you don't watch closely it can be on you and you won't be prepared.
Alzheimers/dementia was never a concern in our family because we don't live long enough for it to show up (I guess). But all our family is living longer now.
Watch for it, it's a hard subject to approach with a loved one.
God bless you if you are dealing with this now.

End of public service announcement.

Hang in there with your mom, Press. Great start. TAMU defense looked even better than the one great year with JFF. ASU receivers helped with a case of the dropsies but that is a pretty good offense they slammed the door on yesterday.

Hang in there with your mom, Press. Great start. TAMU defense looked even better than the one great year with JFF. ASU receivers helped with a case of the dropsies but that is a pretty good offense they slammed the door on yesterday.

Chief Chavis....great hire

Back