Hall Of Fame 2016

I'd put money on him not getting in next year.

Great peak but he didn't last long. Hard to put him in and then with close to the same stats tell Fred McGriff sorry your not in.

Vlad finished with 449 homers and 1496 RBi's which are 38th and 54th all time. Career WAR is something like 145th best.

Yeah, the advanced metrics don't like Vlad too much, but he was pretty bad in the field as he got older (though he still had that cannon). For a guy with literally no pitch he couldn't hit or wouldn't swing at he didn't strike out that much at all...he was just a pure hitter with power to boot.

what's funny is how fast his speed did deteriorate, seriously would guess he might have been 50 when he went to Baltimore

Seriously best 5 tool guy imo in my lifetime (of watching baseball anyway)

He went downhill so quickly though as far as defense and running went. For a few years there, he was top 2 or 3 'five toolers' in the game, that's for sure.

yeah i'm talking Expos years, would go to those games just to see him play

They were always my 2nd favorite team. Delino DeShields, Marquis Grissom, Pedro, Randy, Vlad....others I'm forgetting off the top of my head too.

He had a 63% success rate on SB's, and while a great arm he wasn't a great defensive player by any means.

But he did this....in for sure just because of it....

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dj99F-nx9KQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tip, when that video is over, watch the one title "furthest baseball ever hit." (skip to like the 4 minute mark)

I don't know why but this video made me giggle. I'd love to see some MLB guys mashing the hell out of that cricket ball. For Christ's sake, I don't even know who that dude was but he was a baseball player at some point in his life.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/f481fxMyNbg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

How long will it be before Gary Sheffield gets in like he should be? Not sure he was mentioned at all in this thread, but he certainly deserves it imo. He did eclipse 500 HRs, and was good enough to play SS and 3B before moving the the OF as he got older. He was just nails.

One of only 4 guys with 500 HRs and 250 SBs too (didn't know that until I just read it). Pretty impressive.

Shef and Schill are not bad causes. I'm still working on Trammell. And Lofton, but he probably won't get close. The only one of these old guys nearing the end of eligibility who I really wanted to make it and ended up making it was Blyleven. Hate when they put in a dead guy. Can just picture the dead guy thinking, "thanks man".

Larry Walker? he was on the Expos for a while, right?

Yep. Moises Alou, and Cliff Floyd as well. John Wettland was there too.

They would have won the WS the year of the lockout, or were the favorites by quite a bit at least. Has to be one of the best teams we've seen in the past quarter of a century.

Shef and Schill are not bad causes. I'm still working on Trammell. And Lofton, but he probably won't get close. The only one of these old guys nearing the end of eligibility who I really wanted to make it and ended up making it was Blyleven. Hate when they put in a dead guy. Can just picture the dead guy thinking, "thanks man".

Sheffield is a PED guy too Tip. That change your opinion? Hell, so is Schilling.

Sheffield is a PED guy too Tip. That change your opinion? Hell, so is Schilling.

I'm misremembering, I guess, to quote the best. I vaguely remember Shef. When did Schilling and Pedro get dragged into the PED scandal other than innuendo?

Yep. Moises Alou, and Cliff Floyd as well. John Wettland was there too.

They would have won the WS the year of the lockout, or were the favorites by quite a bit at least. Has to be one of the best teams we've seen in the past quarter of a century.

Clevelanders also claim that as a lost championship. 3 games out and gaining, I believe. And they had the White Sox' number. Following year, Tribe went 100-44.

At this point Cleveland needs to shock the world and produce a world class hockey player or skier

They have shortened the time of the ballot from 15 to 10 years, and this was Trammell's 10th therefore last year. His numbers are so comparable to Barry Larkin it's ridiculous, yet Larkin got in on his 3rd try while Trammell is on the outside looking in.

Lofton sure as hell ain't getting in, he didn't even make it to his 2nd year on the ballot which just blows my mind. Now I'm not claiming Lofton was a surefire HOF, but imo had a legitimate shot at getting in at some point...I would have said he has between a 35% to 40% chance of getting in. Nope...he got 3.2% or 18 votes on his only ballot.

Lofton had the unfortunate timing of coming on during a stacked ballot with Bonds, Clemens, Biggio, Bagwell, and Schilling also first time ballot guys. I fully believe if he had played in the 70-80s or had his career right now that he ends up a HOFer.

I'm misremembering, I guess, to quote the best. I vaguely remember Shef. When did Schilling and Pedro get dragged into the PED scandal other than innuendo?

Schilling got better as he got older, isn't that a characteristic? And both of them were in a clubhouse where PED use was rampant. Kinda hard to believe they didn't do anything. Seems like that's how it works these days, guilt by association.

Shilling made claims that the Red Sox urged him to use PEDs to recover from a shoulder injury...but he wanted no part of it. Sounds legit. So, you knew teammates were using them (who wasn't to begin with?), the league was looking the other way, your own team doctors were encouraging you to use them...yet you said "naw, I'm good."

Pedro himself said that at least 60% of MLB was using PEDs at one time. The number was probably higher.

Schilling got better as he got older, isn't that a characteristic? And both of them were in a clubhouse where PED use was rampant. Kinda hard to believe they didn't do anything. Seems like that's how it works these days, guilt by association.

I think Schilling's a horse's ass who talks too much, but until his wife's trainer has him by the balls with physical evidence, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. As more time goes by, the more I believe guys like Schilling didn't juice, because it's pretty hard to keep a secret or hide anything in 2016.

Clevelanders also claim that as a lost championship. 3 games out and gaining, I believe. And they had the White Sox' number. Following year, Tribe went 100-44.

Yep, they were pretty good too back then. The Expos pretty much dismantled their team after the 1994 lockout. They were 74-40 when the lockout hit.

I think Schilling's a horse's ass who talks too much, but until his wife's trainer has him by the balls with physical evidence, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. As more time goes by, the more I believe guys like Schilling didn't juice, because it's pretty hard to keep a secret or hide anything in 2016.

I just think him coming out and saying that he was encouraged to use by the Red Sox team doctors (yet he said no) pretty much says all we need to know.

Well his head grew exponentially so to speak too

I just think him coming out and saying that he was encouraged to use by the Red Sox team doctors (yet he said no) pretty much says all we need to know.

Schilling, and Pedro for that matter, are pretty polarizing guys with plenty of burned bridges. No one wants to come forward and confirm this?

Wasn't a tv camera that fucker didn't make friends with for awhile til his gaming company went belly up

Schilling, and Pedro for that matter, are pretty polarizing guys with plenty of burned bridges. No one wants to come forward and confirm this?

Isn't Pedro universally loved?

Why hasn't anyone come out about the other 60% (or more) of players who were using them back then? Sounds like it's just something you don't do to another player..especially if you have those skeletons in your own closet.

Isn't Pedro universally loved?

Why hasn't anyone come out about the other 60% (or more) of players who were using them back then? Sounds like it's just something you don't do to another player..especially if you have those skeletons in your own closet.

I think Pedro is universally loved in the Boston universe. Whole American League hated the guy because he was good, threw up and in, and didn't have to swing a bat. Mostly because he was good.

I think Pedro is universally loved in the Boston universe. Whole American League hated the guy because he was good, threw up and in, and didn't have to swing a bat. Mostly because he was good.

Sure, they hated him when they played, that's part of the game though. Not sure he burned any bridges with any of them though. Maybe he did though.

I'm glad Junior got in with such authority. An incredible player. Sweetest swing I ever saw.

Piazza much deserving as well.

Hope Raines gets in next year.....Bagwell....meh, altho I guess he does.

Donnie Baseball is done.....I thought he would get in

And my own personal letdown. Bernie Baseball...my favorite player. He isn't getting in.....sadly.

How long will it be before Gary Sheffield gets in like he should be? Not sure he was mentioned at all in this thread, but he certainly deserves it imo. He did eclipse 500 HRs, and was good enough to play SS and 3B before moving the the OF as he got older. He was just nails.

One of only 4 guys with 500 HRs and 250 SBs too (didn't know that until I just read it). Pretty impressive.

Sheff should be in. Agree 100%

Back