Good news for Vegas as bowl changes announced

TahoeLegend

Pretty much a regular
Lots of changes in bowl season will begin in 2020. The Las Vegas bowl will switch to the new stadium and have a Pac 12/SEC matchup.

A new bowl starts in LA when the new Rams stadium opens in 2020 and will start with what used to be the match up in the Las Vegas bowl.

At least one more new bowl will begin in S Carolina and it appears there will be another to make three new bowls. Not sure where enough team will come from, but they'll find a way. Maybe start inviting 5-win teams.

https://watchstadium.com/news/college-football-bowl-game-changes-to-begin-in-2020-03-05-2019/

More bowls? You have got to be kidding me! Fewer and fewer teams give a damn about these things, how is more the answer?

How do bowl games make money? Particularly the ones where there are no more than 10,000 people in the stands, the general public doesn’t give a shit about, and have two small schools from inconsequential conferences?

I was at the Penn St/Tennessee Fiesta Bowl years ago, I could see/understand how that bowl game made money.

I also went to the Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl in 2017 (reported attendance 16,363 and I think that’s generous) and in no way could that have been overly profitable for the sponsors or the broadcast.

I love all the bowl games and the wacky outcomes. It’s fun to me. But it doesn’t seem economically responsible. Obviously it is in some way if these companies keep doing it and ESPN keeps broadcasting it. But please tell me how?

ESPN pays them money to put the game on.

This is why that game in Dallas was canceled last year, without ESPN paying (which they couldn't show it) the loss was going to be extraordinary. So fuck the fans that traveled, cancel it and hope you enjoyed your stay!

This is why that game in Dallas was canceled last year, without ESPN paying (which they couldn't show it) the loss was going to be extraordinary. So fuck the fans that traveled, cancel it and hope you enjoyed your stay!

what a joke that was. i was guessing lawsuits would have been filed by now.

ESPN pays them money to put the game on.

ESPN pays the main sponsor to put the game on?

As in, ESPN pays Bad Boy Mowers X amount of dollars to put on a bowl game in St Pete that they can broadcast and make a profit of the advertising during the game?

ESPN pays the main sponsor to put the game on?

As in, ESPN pays Bad Boy Mowers X amount of dollars to put on a bowl game in St Pete that they can broadcast and make a profit of the advertising during the game?

you're unaware of how TV rights work?

More bowls? You have got to be kidding me! Fewer and fewer teams give a damn about these things, how is more the answer?

I've never been upset to see a football game show up on my tv.

What's funny is many of the early round "meaningless" bowl games this past season were far more exciting than the big matchups as well as the playoffs which were a total shit fest.

All the bowls get some TV money, but the main way they stay in business is forcing the schools to buy thousands of tickets. I think the minimum, even for the worst bowls is the schools must buy 5,,000 tickets. Almost all teams lose money by going to any but the biggest bowls.

The Power 5 teams share the money the teams in the big bowls get so they come out ahead overall, but for other schools it's a disaster.

The bowls hijack even the big time teams. Here's just one example from Death to the BCS an excellent book by Dan Wetzel on what a racket the bowls are:

"Halftime entertainment at the Jan. 1, 2009, Outback Bowl was provided by the [ Iowa ] Hawkeye Marching Band. And how did the Tampa Bay Bowl Association, which runs the game, thank the band for that gratis performance? By charging the university $65 a head for each of the 346 band members. According to university records submitted to the NCAA, the school was forced to purchase face-value tickets totaling $22,490 for the band, even though the game wasn't sold out."

The BCS is dead now, but the bowl ripoff of college football continues. Tulsa went to some new bowl game in Florida a few years back and was forced to buy 5,000 tickets. They could only sell 1,000. On the broadcast of the game it looked like there were only a thousand or so total in the stands. Tulsa lost so much money their entire athletic department is still in the read and both the football coach and basketball coach had to reduce their salaries last year to keep them afloat.

UConn lost 2 million a few years back in the Fiesta Bowl, and that's a major bowl. You can find similar stories all over the internet, as well as many stories on the fortune the directors of these bowls make at the expense of the teams.

I went to the game. There was no way the game could be played that day under current safety standards. Playing the next day? I don't know what to tell you, but each side appeared to have several thousand fans who traveled a long way. That would have been nice.

Anyway, going to that game was the first step in my new plan to go to every DFW bowl game every year.

what a joke that was. i was guessing lawsuits would have been filed by now.
I don't think you can get lost profits on your BC and under wagers. The court would say it was speculative, even though I know those bets were locks.

Last edited:
I've never been upset to see a football game show up on my tv.

What's funny is many of the early round "meaningless" bowl games this past season were far more exciting than the big matchups as well as the playoffs which were a total shit fest.
The quality of football with the 6 win teams have been atrocious.

It's a step down for sure. But I like watching competitive football and a lot of those games were very competitive and clearly meant the world to the kids who were playing.
I'm a HUGE Bowl fan but I've been pretty disappointed watching the lesser teams for 2 weeks before the power conference teams play. Now we have top players skipping these games which hurts too. Much like the NFL, the habbit of watching for 50 years is what has kept me going.

I'm a HUGE Bowl fan but I've been pretty disappointed watching the lesser teams for 2 weeks before the power conference teams play. Now we have top players skipping these games which hurts too. Much like the NFL, the habbit of watching for 50 years is what has kept me going.

There's a lot of issues that need to be fixed when it comes to bowl season. The players skipping is a huge problem. As are the coaches bailing on their teams. Modifications need to be made and I could go on and on about this. But I don't know if cutting the early season bowl games does anything to help the big picture or the aforementioned problems. If anything, the kids (and coaches) who show up and want to be there should be rewarded.

Last edited:
Reality is Wise as we get older, EVERYTHING in life tends to suck more than when we were younger whether it's NFL, NBA, Bowls, staying awake, walking.

Means we getting up there. I blame the Kardashians for all of this.

Reality is Wise as we get older, EVERYTHING in life tends to suck more than when we were younger whether it's NFL, NBA, Bowls, staying awake, walking.

Means we getting up there. I blame the Kardashians for all of this.

Depressing

Back