Golf Lessons

takeit

THE Wife
Starting lessons on Saturday. I've been golfing a little less that 2 years and consistently shoot a 100 to 105. I'm working on getting a handicap now.

Any tips? General rule of thumb things to concentrate on?

First lessons?

I haven't taken a lesson since I was 19 but plan on it this Spring.

My tip, would be find someone your comfortable with.

For me, it was important to explain to the instructor what my expectations were. I would say most teachers get students that want to make the swing they already have more consistent and to play within that. That is great and I think that is probably the default lesson plan for most teaching pros. What I wanted was to start from scratch and build the swing piece by piece. I knew it was going to take more time, cost more money, and destroy my game in the meantime, but I was willing to put in the work. It took me a few instructors before I found what I was looking for. So clearly outlining what you want to get out of the lessons is important, because everyone wants different things. Also, if you are given drills to practice at home or on the range, do them. It is so easy to just hear what they say at the lesson, then next time at the range just go right back to what you were doing before the lesson. New moves are going to feel awkward until you practice them over and over. Also, write down ro record the lesson so you can remember those drills and thoughts. Good luck!

I took a couple lessons when I first started, but I had no idea what I was doing and I think I ended up more frustrated than anything. The one huge thing she helped with was that she video'd me and I could see I was basically standing up during my swing and trying to get back down to my starting position before I hit the ball. This led to poor contact with the ball and very inconsistent shots. I have really been concentrating on not standing and am more consistent now, but don't have distance. I think I said here before that mrtake and I will both be 150 yards out and he grabs a wedge and I grab my 7 fairway wood. lol

I signed up with one of the guys at the club and hopefully I like him as it would be awkward to switch to another guy (but as an lol, one of our golf pros is an ex NFL player, Jason Witczak, and 3 of 4 of our guys are from Wisconsin).

I will think about what my expectations are as I think I was hoping he would watch my swing and tell me what I need.

One of the instructors I am debating on using preaches consistency.
He like to use your normal swing and try to help improve your swing instead of trying to "change your swing"
Which I think is a good idea.

I took a couple lessons when I first started, but I had no idea what I was doing and I think I ended up more frustrated than anything. The one huge thing she helped with was that she video'd me and I could see I was basically standing up during my swing and trying to get back down to my starting position before I hit the ball. This led to poor contact with the ball and very inconsistent shots. I have really been concentrating on not standing and am more consistent now, but don't have distance. I think I said here before that mrtake and I will both be 150 yards out and he grabs a wedge and I grab my 7 fairway wood. lol

I signed up with one of the guys at the club and hopefully I like him as it would be awkward to switch to another guy (but as an lol, one of our golf pros is an ex NFL player, Jason Witczak, and 3 of 4 of our guys are from Wisconsin).

I will think about what my expectations are as I think I was hoping he would watch my swing and tell me what I need.

I think the issue there is that he'll make assumptions on what he thinks you want, rather than what you do want. If I'm spending money and time on lessons, I want to make sure that the instructor knows what I want. Whether that's being able to break 100 or 70, I don't believe there is a stock answer for everyone so it's important to communicate that with him.

One of the instructors I am debating on using preaches consistency.
He like to use your normal swing and try to help improve your swing instead of trying to "change your swing"
Which I think is a good idea.

It is for most weekend golfers. For me personally, I wanted more. That's why I was recommending that she communicate exactly what she wants and how hard she wants to work on it from the get go. Otherwise, you just end up more frustrated IMO

And from personal experience, if you do go the route of trying to completely break down your swing and rebuild, don't have kids while doing this. It will set you back more than anything else lol

And from personal experience, if you do go the route of trying to completely break down your swing and rebuild, don't have kids while doing this. It will set you back more than anything else lol

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: who's having kids?!?!?! Not us here

How can anyone who has kids afford to golf? The money we spend on golf is ridiculous.

More of a time issue for me. Work all week, hard to go off for 5-6 hours the only time I have to spend with my kids. Going to start taking them with me when they are a little older

I just hope my 4yr old starts to like golf. No better excuse to golf because the kiddo wants to play. Wink wink

Got to get them out there early. I started taking my oldest daughter as soon as she could walk. Gonna start taking both of them this spring

Starting lessons on Saturday. I've been golfing a little less that 2 years and consistently shoot a 100 to 105. I'm working on getting a handicap now.

Any tips? General rule of thumb things to concentrate on?

So,

How did it go?

It went well.

I am working on my hand position when addressing the ball - a little less pressed on irons and more on hybrids/woods/driver - and on my hand position upon impact. We played 9 and I added length to my drives and they felt good. Next lesson is in 2 weeks.

OK... went out today and I hit a 206 yard drive! I know this is not a big deal to you guys, but this was huge for me! My drives have been around 160/170 for a while so this is a big increase. It was an elevated tee box, but a flat fairway and a little into the wind.

Almost wish we weren't going on vacation so I could get a lesson this weekend.

It went well.

I am working on my hand position when addressing the ball - a little less pressed on irons and more on hybrids/woods/driver - and on my hand position upon impact. We played 9 and I added length to my drives and they felt good. Next lesson is in 2 weeks.

It is amazing what the basic stuff can do to change things. I worked on my grip/etc the last few weeks and a huge difference. Basically I was getting lazy about it I think...

:mean4: oh 206 female yards, had to get the conversion calculator

Nice job take, you'd make a great scramble partner

:mean4: oh 206 female yards, had to get the conversion calculator

Nice job take, you'd make a great scramble partner

I know it's not very far, but for me it was awesome. The distance isn't the big thing, but I am almost always in the fairway (I miss one or two per round) so mrtake can be aggressive knowing I will give us a safe shot.

Women who can hit it that far make perfect scramble partners, eliminate a ton of distance/hazards on tee shots.

Women who can hit it that far make perfect scramble partners, eliminate a ton of distance/hazards on tee shots.

Yup, my wifey was pinpoint straight yesterday about 175 average tops but in fairway...told her to 'KEEP IT UP' before league play starts ;)

Well golf lessons today were not very good. It was 38 effin degrees and even when I felt I hit the ball well it didn't go anywhere.

We did work on chipping for a bit and I have been doing it wrong for 2 years! I am excited to work on this part of my game as I think it can save me about 9 strokes a round. I HAVE to be able to average 90 by the end of the summer because mrtake said I couldn't.

Well I was addressing the ball like a regular shot and trying to hit it with the putt swing (wrong words, but I'm sure you know what I mean) so I was really wrong as I had to swing my body around...

so that being said he had me open my stance, stand with my feet less than shoulder width apart and the face of the club perpendicular to the target. When I say open my stance, it seems like my feet were aiming at about 10 o'clock and the hole was at noon. When I do my putt swing I need to lead with the back of my left hand all the way through and not break my wrists (I know I have an issue with this). I also need to make sure my hands are in front of the ball when I hit it.

We did not work on distance, just the swing. Mrtake did give me the guidance that the swing strength (?) should be similar to if I was trying to underhand a softball to the hole... If that makes sense.

Any tips you may have for me?

I do feel like chipping is a strength for me but am certainly no instructor so take it with a grain of salt...no matter the type of shot, you've got to lock your wrists, that's vital whether a low chip and run or a flop. When chipping, I was taught early (I'm right handed) to lock and act like I'm rolling the ball with my right forearm to the hole all the way through the ball (I assume like the softball reference above). It's a pretty narrow stance, de-loft the club and play toward the back foot with weight forward.

The more loft, the more I open the stance and the wider that stance gets. Sometimes it can be ridiculous and that shot will naturally come out to the right and spin to the right. But never a wrist break, keeping the right wrist and forearm stern are imperative for control. I honestly chip many times when most people would putt, it's a comfort thing for me with spin and the greens here can get very fast of course.

I do feel like chipping is a strength for me but am certainly no instructor so take it with a grain of salt...no matter the type of shot, you've got to lock your wrists, that's vital whether a low chip and run or a flop. When chipping, I was taught early (I'm right handed) to lock and act like I'm rolling the ball with my right forearm to the hole all the way through the ball (I assume like the softball reference above). It's a pretty narrow stance, de-loft the club and play toward the back foot with weight forward.

The more loft, the more I open the stance and the wider that stance gets. Sometimes it can be ridiculous and that shot will naturally come out to the right and spin to the right. But never a wrist break, keeping the right wrist and forearm stern are imperative for control. I honestly chip many times when most people would putt, it's a comfort thing for me with spin and the greens here can get very fast of course.

Great post KJ - thanks for writing it up. I putt any time I can as I am pretty good wit the flat stick.

Are you doing the bolded to control the distance of the chip with spin? Like a bounce twice and stop thing?

Funny you ask, I was taught that early and it certainly has something to do with the control of the ball...of course most chips are low and need control anyway. I own a lob wedge but do not use it, ever. Feel much more comfortable manipulating my sand wedge, and flop shots are completely different of course, but weight forward probably solves a couple things. Control/spin is vital, but as I think about it (and never have really thought about it like this before) the strength of the right side as you swing, don't break your wrist, and most importantly follow through with the right arm, it controls balance. The idea is to have that strong right forearm/wrist "throw" the ball to wear you want it to land, just as the softball toss you referenced above. With weight on the left side, I guess it really does help the balance, because that follow through on the toss is pretty much the success of the chip.

Unless you read it completely wrong, can't help you there ;)

You boys and your wedges. What is so wrong with the P A and S? It's what came in my set.

I'll have to pay attention next time I play (practice). I originally had my weight on my back foot, but that was only supposed to be if I was on a down hill. lol. I can't remember if we talked about weight today - I will practice with weight forward. Once I get down the chip I will work on spin and whatnot. I do (kinda) know the bump and run with my 8 iron and putting with my hybrid when the ball is butted up against the fringe.

To me, I'll try to keep it as simple as this...whether you're pitching a baseball or bowling a bowling ball (shuffleboard too I think), when you hit the release point, your weight is forward...same with chipping a golf ball. It's a control thing I guess. I can't even imagine chipping with my weight back, need to be in front of the ball and "throw" it to the desired destination. Power comes from the back leg, control from the front.

Now, again, the disclaimer...I'm certainly not a qualified instructor, this is just personal experience.

Another tip that should be obvious (guessing you know this one)...uphill putts break a fraction of downhill putts. The problem comes when you think something is uphill and it's actually downhill. That's for those of us that play on mountains and get disoriented.

My advice...

Practice, practice practice.

It sounds dumb and whatnot but that is the key for me. I go through various stages of chipping prowess or total awfulness. The wrist-break is where I get myself in trouble when it is not going good.

When it comes down to it, it is quite simple but it is at times mental for me, like anything involving the golf game or betting on sports ;).

And going with what KJ said about putting...

My best rounds are when I have an extra 20-40 minutes before to hit chips and putts. The range helps at times but it more depends on time of day. The relaxing part of learning the speed of greens and just getting some confidence on chips just off the green knocks off at least 4-5 shots for me I would say.

Hell, I'd spend 6-8 shots (2 wedge, 2 7-iron, 2 driver) on the range and basically the rest of the warm up around the green.

I will say a problem I have is de-lofting clubs (which is why chipping is easy for me) and this can cause low irons to be less than perpendicular for me, it's a pretty tough thing to deal with for me to get the ball in the air unless I open up and try to fade the ball. 10.5 degree driver is what I hit and I hit it low.

For me it's the other extreme, just no wrist release when I need it at times. And we talkin Practice? Practice?

I have couple problems that I know I need to work on - I break my wrists and I decelerate. My practice swings are great, but when I go to hit the ball I get scared at the last second it is going to go too far so I decelerate the swing and don't follow through. It goes 3 feet. lol.

We have a shag(ish) rug in our living room and squishy cat toy balls so we practice in the living room hitting against the wall. I am going to make an effort to get the the course early so I can practice chipping though. It has been so boring before, but probably because I was doing it wrong. I am excited to work on this part of my game and there has been some amazing advice in here.

My next lesson is next Saturday. Is it normal to have lessons once a week? My gut says you need more time between to "master" what you learned, but maybe you don't want to "lose" what you learned.

And KJ... Yes, the softball thing is the same as your rolling thing. Also, I had an epiphany... when you say de-loft it is the same as when I say press my hands forward.

Yep, forward hands, de-lofted club face...it's funny you say that about the living room, when I got my first set of clubs I had some whiffle golf balls and played with my wedge all the time, probably why it's my favorite club. Would always try different shots (the flop shots were awesome for the carpet btw, had to make sure the follow through stayed clear of the tv) but would just use different targets, whether it was a chair leg, specific stair, etc. Not that the whiffle ball remotely reacted like a golf ball, but it more or less built confidence and commitment to the swing. To this day I can take months off and still feel comfortable with not only chipping, but flops as well if I have to fly a trap.

Reality is, I assume deceleration is just a lack of confidence, whether it's fear of not striking the ball or losing distance control as you mentioned. But once you've decelerated, you've lost the shot already, so it's not any worse than whiffing at that point. Chipping is like putting, the backswing and forward swing should be like a pendulum, same pace from start to finish...and to that degree, yes, unfortunately we talkin practice. It's more a confidence and commitment deal, the latter of which seems to have been quite an issue for me with life in general. But not on the golf course!

I have couple problems that I know I need to work on - I break my wrists and I decelerate. My practice swings are great, but when I go to hit the ball I get scared at the last second it is going to go too far so I decelerate the swing and don't follow through. It goes 3 feet. lol.

We have a shag(ish) rug in our living room and squishy cat toy balls so we practice in the living room hitting against the wall

Ding ding ding.

That is me when it isn't going well.

Funny you say that about practicing at home. When I first started playing, I was a practice junkie(the anti-KJ). At 19,20 years old I would chip for a few hours in my 'rents basement which had some perfect shaggy carpet. I would use real balls though and I was much better then because I never broke anything. I'd literally land it on the couch that bordered the doorwall. Lucky me, that wouldn't have been a pretty site if I 'got a hold of one'.

(that reminds me of having a few places when I was younger that one should not practice hitting golf balls that we did)

Ha I'm going to hell for a 6 iron I took out hammered at a house party in college...let's just say about 175 yards or so away was a house...

of worship :Angry1:

Thanks for that reminder

Back