Golf Lessons

You hit from the "Buffalo" tees takeit?

ha - I fail my alma mater! Red, but the 18 hole ladies league hits from the falcon tees so I am hoping to feel comfortable enough to play there in a few months. I tried playing the falcon tees, but I would try soooo hard to hit the ball far, I would do muff it and dribble the ball maybe 20 yards to the let. I don't understand how they decide which holes to move you back - hole 1 is from the white tees. I can get a GIR from the red but not the white... sigh

I have to adjust 10% when at sea level for the additional distance we get here. For most of the shots on the course it can be up or down a club but not anything more than that. Most of the shots towards the green don't have an elevation difference more than that and the course if VERY forgiving with most of the holes funneling towards the green or fairways. A little false sense of security when playing there regularly and then going to a different course that isn't as forgiving.

I have to adjust 10% when at sea level for the additional distance we get here. For most of the shots on the course it can be up or down a club but not anything more than that. Most of the shots towards the green don't have an elevation difference more than that and the course if VERY forgiving with most of the holes funneling towards the green or fairways. A little false sense of security when playing there regularly and then going to a different course that isn't as forgiving.

Now that the grass has grown around the greens, it is NOT forgiving. Everything gets held up in the rough and chipping down to a sloping green is a bitch.

Anyone read Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible? I'm thinking about picking it up.

I have. Also read his putting bible. Both are probably only really useful if you are someone who loves lots of data and information. Otherwise it can be a bit overwhelming. The most beneficial stuff to me on the short game was the chapter on what the ball will do from different lies. Most of the rest of the book is him explaining the clock method to hitting your wedges. Essentially what you do is have 3 different length backswings for all of your wedges, which gives you 9 or 12 exact yardages, depending on how many wedges you carry. You have to really practice it though for it to be useful IMO. On the putting stuff, one thing did really help me and that is having "dead hands" and using your shoulders to drive the putting motion. I tend to get a little handsy on my putts, and would be inconsistent round to round, or if a putt was a more stressful situation than others. But again, you have to practice it a ton. The rest of it was stuff that was more in depth than I care to know. Like how the area around a cup is different at the end of the day due to the body weight of all the people who played the hole before you pushing it down than it is at the beginning of the day.

How was everyone's golf game this summer? I played a lot and am down to a 90 +/- a couple on a regular basis (bogey golf FTW!!!). I mostly play the ladies tees except at Pradera I play the "Falcon" tees which is a mix between red and white. I am going to take my sand lesson soon which is the last of this 6 lesson package. Next year I want to take lessons from a different guy who specializes in helping with distances - I can hit where I line up almost all the time, but my drives are about 160, 7 wood is 135, 7 iron 105, etc... Want to be able to drive over 200 and was hoping to get there this summer...

Well it's the offseason. What is everyone doing to get better?
After my surgery I have been doing nothing but putting. Just on carpet. But I am focusing on my grip and pace.

I really would love some new clubs but right now I just wanna hit some balls.

Haven't touched a club in 3 weeks. Good time to get rid of the kinks. I'll start hitting the range in January I'd say.

Small steps this coming year. Better routine before a round. Better pre-shot routine and better visualization.

Reactions: KJ
visualization

I cant stress enough how much this helps me.
Another thing that helps is playing Tiger Woods golf. I can see the putting line on a green like putting on Tiger Woods golf

Reactions: KJ
Increasing caloric and carbohydrate intake for improved power and energy this offseason

Let's talk putting
I can swing both Right & Left handed with all clubs. But for some reason I tend to putt better Left handed.
I have also tried using a left handed grip right handed.
Anyone have any strange tendencies or favor a method unusual?
Has anyone just tried something different just to see how they like it?

How about putter grips? I just recently put on a Super Stroke. I freakn love it. I used to like my scotty Cameron stock grip but after trying he Suoer Stoke, I'm gonna stick with it

Well boys, spring is here and golf season is coming.

I'm back to lessons starting tomorrow. My old guy left and am starting with a new guy that is supposed to be really good with increasing distance. I would love to be hitting 200+ yard drives without losing accuracy. I'm a bogey golfer right now and my goal is to be in the low 80's by the end of summer. I usually play the flex tees (red/white) and will stay there at least for the year.

Wait you said you played a couple weeks ago. Already too hot here
Yeah, February 27th. It was 65

It won't be above 40-50 here till at least after Masters weekend according to long range forecasts.

And lol at you. You were in a hoody two weeks ago saying it was too cold.

Wait you said you played a couple weeks ago. Already too hot here

Not too hot there... just got back from Zona. Played at Blackstone (x's 2), Ancala, Tatum Ranch and Arrowhead - weather was amazing and I started getting a base tan.

82 n Sunny in Phoenix...looks like our 75 and sunny....aka the best golf weather you can get...

45 mins in the sun everyday enough for me right now. But I'll play in Summer. March is the worst tourist month of the year for us locals for obv reasons

45 mins in the sun everyday enough for me right now. But I'll play in Summer. March is the worst tourist month of the year for us locals for obv reasons

It was terrible... everything was SO expensive. But Blackstone hosted our club for a ladies tourney then mrtake came out for our anniversary.

Not too hot there... just got back from Zona. Played at Blackstone (x's 2), Ancala, Tatum Ranch and Arrowhead - weather was amazing and I started getting a base tan.
Remember you saying something about Ancala..my bud has some membership at Tatum Ranch so have played there several times..closest to me although Arrowhead isn't much farther away. Hope you enjoyed

It was terrible... everything was SO expensive. But Blackstone hosted our club for a ladies tourney then mrtake came out for our anniversary.
Nice! Yeah everything jacked up with 16 complete organizations in the Valley for ST this month

Remember you saying something about Ancala..my bud has some membership at Tatum Ranch so have played there several times..closest to me although Arrowhead isn't much farther away. Hope you enjoyed

Blackstone was amazing, Ancala is nice, Tatum Ranch is pretty nice and Arrowhead is kinda a dump. If he's an Arcis member he should be able to play at the last 3 courses (depending on his membership). We played them for $25 each with our membership.

I'm assuming it was Arrowhead CC which is much better than Legend at Step ahead. Don't play out west much

[QUOTE="KJ, post: 3279614, member: 8312"]45 mins in the sun everyday enough for me right now. But I'll play in Summer. March is the . worst tourist month of the year for us locals for obv reasons[/QUOTE]

I can't wait to retire

[QUOTE="KJ, post: 3279614, member: 8312"]45 mins in the sun everyday enough for me right now. But I'll play in Summer. March is the . worst tourist month of the year for us locals for obv reasons

I can't wait to retire[/QUOTE]
Thing is my clients work so mornings and nights can be busy but not afternoons. Or Fridays, weekends, or hopefully Mondays. Never know, could be 7 days sometimes too.

I don't think Tatum Ranch is that great, don't even know where Blackstone is without twinkie googling it for me

Ah at Vistancia...had a buddy that lived out there til about 10 years ago, we played that Trilogy course a bunch right next to it

Blackstone >>> Ancala > Tatum Ranch > Arrowhead

Was totally spoiled at Blackstone though... Had a guy walking around the range cleaning each club for us when we were done with it. I don't think I could normally afford to park there.

Well today's lesson was a failure. A lot to work on and I will be worse before I get better (fingers crossed I get better). Will be at the range tomorrow.

What happened at the lesson that it was a failure?
I don't really believe in failures anyways. If you failed at something you actually learned something... what you need to improve on or work more on.

I am gonna try to play on Good Friday. (Fingers crossed)
I didn't get a chance to checkout TG

If the rain holds off till night on Thursday, Imma playing.

Take, I am no expert but that is what happens a lot with lessons etc. Time and patience, yo.

I stand too far from the ball and swing down on it too much. Need to swing in more of an arc and keep my arms/hands lower in the follow through. Need to let the club head swing around me. This guy is good though - he videos it and sends you the videos all marked up and with comments / instructions.

I have heard that about lessons.... was out practicing yesterday and will be out again tomorrow. I am not patient and am very competitive so I need to hop on it. Our match play begins in a week and I need to get this new swing down.

Index down to a 16.5 and shot an 85 today - my best 18 so far. Super excited of where my game is going.

How is everyone else doing this summer?

Back