Going Pro - players planning to enter NFL draft - bowl implications

3rd QB next year is still likely top 5, and I don’t think it’s a given Fields goes over a healthy Tua. Difference between going 20-25 and 2-10 is still 10 million guaranteed
Healthy Tua the factor in it all. Hes never really been healthy. If he goes now, he will be top 10. A desperate team will bite

hard to know what TUA is thinking.

both ankles surgically repaired. surgery on one of his hips. so there have been 2 moderate ankle injuries and one major injury to the hip.

if it was only one moderate or major injury, then leaving now would make tremendous sense because the stock of a player is still very high after just one injury (depending on degree).

but if he gets injured a fourth time at Bama he runs the risk of being flagged as "seriously injury prone" and then the stock plummets into perhaps the 2nd or 3rd round.

if it were me I think i leave. If it were my son I would advise him to leave.

coming back to try and get a 'chip can easily cost him 8 digits if that body of his gets injured yet again. he is not exactly a big sturdy guy.

I’m sure we can find an insurance agent around here that’s willing to count him as a top 15 pick for loss of value

absolutely. it's just like an appraisal on a house. he'll be provided an estimated draft choice number and the policy will be written based on that.

he is absolutely a top 15 pick right now. no question about it.

other than burrow who are the big QB names in this draft? seems like next year would be a stronger class. IDK

Some team will fall in love with Herbert and will trade up to get him in the top 5. While I think draft position is a concern for Tua, I think he wants to come back for himself more than improving his draft stock. Probably not the best decision from a financial standpoint, but if he plays like he normally does and stays healthy, he's locked into a top 5 next year IMO

other than burrow who are the big QB names in this draft? seems like next year would be a stronger class. IDK

Definitely more top heavy with Lawrence and Fields most likely. Not sure who the names are after that, I guess Fromm if he decides to return

Some team will fall in love with Herbert and will trade up to get him in the top 5. While I think draft position is a concern for Tua, I think he wants to come back for himself more than improving his draft stock. Probably not the best decision from a financial standpoint, but if he plays like he normally does and stays healthy, he's locked into a top 5 next year IMO

Yup, I totally expect this to happen. I hope that a certain franchise at the 3 spot gets a bunch of picks for the team that really wants him.

That’s also the argument why he should leave...he hasn’t shown any ability to stay healthy. No horse in the race, I find it a fascinating story moreso
If he goes and who (and when) someone wants to take a gamble on him.

Don’t think anyone has said a bad word about him as a person or as a leader (huge positive) And if you question this kid’s toughness you simply are a moron.

Very interested to see what he decides.

His health is definitely the top concern. As tough as he is, he seems to get hurt more than normal. Some of the hits Mac Jones took against AU and Michigan would definitely put Tua in the tent. Not sure if it's just been bad luck, or it's going to dog him his whole career. If you go back and watch the title game against UGA, he took some shots and even lowered his shoulder on a few runs and got right back up. Maybe the effect of a whole season takes it toll on him more than others?

His health is definitely the top concern. As tough as he is, he seems to get hurt more than normal. Some of the hits Mac Jones took against AU and Michigan would definitely put Tua in the tent. Not sure if it's just been bad luck, or it's going to dog him his whole career. If you go back and watch the title game against UGA, he took some shots and even lowered his shoulder on a few runs and got right back up. Maybe the effect of a whole season takes it toll on him more than others?

Very well could be the whole season affects his body moreso. I think the biggest problem (whether Tua stays or goes), that both he and Burrow are going to have is that the level of WR that both were playing with this year is INSANE compared to the WR skill-level and D coverages they’re going to see at the next level. I think both have the chance to be good pros because of their accuracy, but my Lord, how many stud wide outs could 2 QBs get at the college level. In the Sunday league they’re in for a huge awakening how different it’s going to be.

Jedrick Wills announces he's going pro. I think he's going to be a name people start hearing a lot about in the coming months.

Very well could be the whole season affects his body moreso. I think the biggest problem (whether Tua stays or goes), that both he and Burrow are going to have is that the level of WR that both were playing with this year is INSANE compared to the WR skill-level and D coverages they’re going to see at the next level. I think both have the chance to be good pros because of their accuracy, but my Lord, how many stud wide outs could 2 QBs get at the college level. In the Sunday league they’re in for a huge awakening how different it’s going to be.

Yes. The wr's they throw to in the NFL won't have the separation they see now so the margin of error much slimmer on each throw. Tight ass windows in the pro game.

If you think Tua is only accurate because his WR are open, you haven't been watching. His accuracy (especially on long throws), anticipation, and release are elite. Sure he has one of the greatest collection of WR ever, but they benefit from Tua as much or more as he benefits from them. I have less confidence in Burrow mainly because I haven't watched him as much, and when I have, it appears to me that his greatest strength is his complete mastery of the offense and always making the right throw. That's not a knock on him, he's truly elite, I just haven't seen him make as many throws into those tight windows

Hes at best the 3rd qb off the board in the next draft after this one?

I dont get it, only with the injury concerns, obv money not a deciding factor, but this is a likely 8 figure decision

I think he freaking crazy. Don’t see anything he can do that would get him taken ahead of Lawrence? Prob be in his best interest to drop a little in this draft and potentially go to a decent team with solid coach and ability to pass protect.

Honestly if I was bungals and my dr’s gave the ok I would take a shot on Tua. I think his upside is way better than burrow, it just those pesky injuries. Thing Is you can roll the dice and take him (if he was in draft obviously) if it appears he never be the same you suck again and get Lawrence who the biggest lock of any these kids in next 2 drafts imo. Or take the best defensive player and tank one more year for Lawrence.

I don’t hate burrow even if it might appear that way. I would feel way better with him than baker (I ripped baker as a 1 pick a ton!). I’m just not convinced burrow is a turn a crap franchise around type talent (few are). I think he could be very much like cousins minus the big game choking. Give him a good coach and supporting cast and i think he would be just fine. Put him on awful team and throw him into starter roll and could ruin him.

I think he ultimately made the right decision. Heard he was all set to come back until they visited with the DR in NY. Prognosis is really positive, and the family (ie, his dad) made the call to declare. As long as his rehab doesn't hit a snag, I bet he still goes top 10.

I think he ultimately made the right decision. Heard he was all set to come back until they visited with the DR in NY. Prognosis is really positive, and the family (ie, his dad) made the call to declare. As long as his rehab doesn't hit a snag, I bet he still goes top 10.

as long as theprognosis is good I don’t think he slips out of top 5

If I need a qb he the one I would take 1st.

sorry guys but i am laughing at people who were trying to read tea leaves and said there was "smoke to the fire" about TUA going back to bama LOLOL

if the rehab does not hit a snag he is likely TOP 5 !!

Hopefully, he'll go to a team willing to put him on a PUP list and learn how to be a pro while he continues to strengthen that hip.

But will probably last two years like RGIII before injury puts him out.
Better than getting beat up in college.
Get that guaranteed money.

sorry guys but i am laughing at people who were trying to read tea leaves and said there was "smoke to the fire" about TUA going back to bama LOLOL

Tua told people he was coming back last week.

Tua told people he was coming back last week.

for a kid who seems smart, sensible, and mature, that's pretty stupid to be telling people he's coming back when it was clear that it least from the family standpoint, they were going to wait until they spoke to the doctors regarding the hip healing progress before they made any decisions.

i live thousands of miles away and have never met the kid nor the family but if i was standing right in front of him when he said he was coming back, i would have replied "not if the doctors give you a good report, you're not".

shame on the people who believed him. i would tell those people to not be so gullible LOL

for a kid who seems smart, sensible, and mature, that's pretty stupid to be telling people he's coming back when it was clear that it least from the family standpoint, they were going to wait until they spoke to the doctors regarding the hip healing progress before they made any decisions.

i live thousands of miles away and have never met the kid nor the family but if i was standing right in front of him when he said he was coming back, i would have replied "not if the doctors give you a good report, you're not".

shame on the people who believed him. i would tell those people to not be so gullible LOL

I'm just saying that there was really good reason to believe he was coming back. He is the best source possible on that front. There were several who cautioned that it wouldn't be final until Jan 20th, but I don't think you can call people who thought he was coming back gullible.

Interestingly, Najee Harris received a "go back to school" grade from the draft advisory board. I wonder if he'll still go. He was phenomenal the last half of the season.

I'm just saying that there was really good reason to believe he was coming back. He is the best source possible on that front. There were several who cautioned that it wouldn't be final until Jan 20th, but I don't think you can call people who thought he was coming back gullible.

Interestingly, Najee Harris received a "go back to school" grade from the draft advisory board. I wonder if he'll still go. He was phenomenal the last half of the season.

i would have told you the opposite. i think i did earlier in the thread. if bama fans take the crimson and cream goggles off and tell me some good reason(s) to stay besides wanting to spend another year in college, I'd love to hear them. he already won a chip when he came in and saved the day two years ago. already put up crazy stats. already solidified himself as a top pick in the draft.

the only football/financial reason to stay one more year would have been if there were complications post hip surgery or on one or both of the ankles, and he needed the senior year to prove he has overcome the injuries and is not overly injury-prone.

other than that, there was simply no reason to stay, and that's why he is gone. he is a great kid and the family seems good too but they have a fiduciary responsibility to their child to protect his future interests and the risk of coming back and getting hurt again FAR OUTWEIGHED the upside of leaving now and getting picked early first round.

i would have told you the opposite. i think i did earlier in the thread. if bama fans take the crimson and cream goggles off and tell me some good reason(s) to stay besides wanting to spend another year in college, I'd love to hear them. he already won a chip when he came in and saved the day two years ago. already put up crazy stats. already solidified himself as a top pick in the draft.

the only football/financial reason to stay one more year would have been if there were complications post hip surgery or on one or both of the ankles, and he needed the senior year to prove he has overcome the injuries and is not overly injury-prone.

other than that, there was simply no reason to stay, and that's why he is gone. he is a great kid and the family seems good too but they have a fiduciary responsibility to their child to protect his future interests and the risk of coming back and getting hurt again FAR OUTWEIGHED the upside of leaving now and getting picked early first round.

So if someone tells you they are going to do something, but you think it's the wrong thing, you don't believe them?

So if someone tells you they are going to do something, but you think it's the wrong thing, you don't believe them?

maybe he was testing people to see who he could trust. maybe he's playing chess while others are playing checkers.

let's say you have four friends and you told them all the same thing and the secret got out, do you know how to find out who the culprit is?

you tell the same four people completely different things, then you see which secret gets out and then boom, you have your guilty person.

maybe Tua was trying to see who can keep their mouths shut and who cannot.

do i believe he really thought he was going to stay? No i don't. sorry. not buying it.

A couple of his teammates. Trying to get them to stay too. Then he went to Dr, family decided it was better to leave. Most level-headed fans knew not to buy into him returning until he actually did, but there was real reason for optimism that he was coming back, and it came from Tua himself. I think he made the right decision

maybe he was testing people to see who he could trust. maybe he's playing chess while others are playing checkers.

let's say you have four friends and you told them all the same thing and the secret got out, do you know how to find out who the culprit is?

you tell the same four people completely different things, then you see which secret gets out and then boom, you have your guilty person.

maybe Tua was trying to see who can keep their mouths shut and who cannot.

do i believe he really thought he was going to stay? No i don't. sorry. not buying it.

That's wrong, but a moot point now

Back