Going Pro - players planning to enter NFL draft - bowl implications

s--k

Goodbye to Romance College Football
Arizona Wildcats tailback J.J. Taylor plans to declare for 2020 NFL draft

5dbe33f0bbf7a.image.jpg

Arizona Wildcat tailback J.J. Taylor said Tuesday that he plans to enter the NFL draft after this season.
Taylor is in his fourth year at the UA. He missed all but four games of his freshman year because of injury. If he applied for a waiver, it likely would be granted, giving him a fifth year of eligibility.

Instead, Taylor will pursue a pro career. He is in the midst of another standout season, rushing for a team-best 640 yards and five touchdowns despite missing about 2½ games because of a sprained ankle. Taylor also has notched career highs with 26 catches for 260 yards.

Taylor earned third-team All-America honors last season when he rushed for 1,434 yards and averaged 175.6 all-purpose yards per game, second most among FBS players. He ranks fifth all time at Arizona with 3,182 rushing yards.

Taylor is undersized at 5-6, 185 pounds but is elusive in the open field and tougher to tackle than his size would suggest. Taylor also is Arizona’s primary kickoff returner.
Although listed as a redshirt junior on the roster, Taylor will participate in the senior-night ceremony when Arizona hosts No. 7 Utah on Saturday.

Last edited:
Mississippi State CB Cameron Dantzler Forgoes Senior Year, Declares for NFL Draft

Dantzler will not play in the team’s upcoming bowl game, which will be announced Sunday afternoon.

Dantzler earned a second team All-SEC bid in 2018 and a preseason All-American spot this season.

UCF WR Gabe Davis forgoes senior year, declares for NFL draft

Davis told the Sentinel's @OS_ChrisHays that he plans to play in #UCF's bowl game "as of right now". https://twitter.com/osknights/status/1202264010328039430 …

Last edited:
Utah State QB Jordan Love to skip final season, declare for NFL draft

Utah State Aggies quarterback Jordan Love will declare for the NFL draft and forgo his final year of eligibility, the university announced Tuesday evening.

Love, a junior who will graduate this month with a degree in exercise science, will still play in the Frisco Bowl against Kent State on Dec. 20.

Dillon Decides to Forgo Senior Season, Declare for 2020 NFL Draft
December 10, 2019 Bradley Smart Football, Sports

After leading the nation in carries and setting Boston College football program records in both career rushing yards (4,382) and touchdowns (38), junior running back AJ Dillon has elected to enter the 2020 NFL Draft in lieu of returning to the Heights for his senior year, he told Yahoo Sports on Tuesday.

“At this point in my career, I’ve done everything I set out to do,” Dillon told Yahoo Sports writer Pete Thamel. “I had a chance after the Pitt game to talk with my family. We came to the conclusion, it’s time to take the next step.”

Dillon will not participate in the Birmingham Bowl against No. 21 Cincinnati on Jan. 2. Instead, he’ll sit out—as many NFL prospects do in an effort to both avoid a potential injury and to begin preparing for the draft process.

Miami Hurricanes enigmatic, talented receiver Jeff Thomas declares for NFL draft

Miami Hurricanes junior wide receiver Jeff Thomas announced on Friday night he will declare for the NFL draft and skip UM’s Independence Bowl against Louisiana Tech on Dec. 26.

Report: Junior DE Jonathan Garvin will sit out of the bowl game and go pro
29 comments
Another Hurricane gone too soon
By Gabriel Urrutia@GabyUrrutia22 Dec 7, 2019, 5:29pm EST

Michael Perchick of ABC News in North Carolina reported that junior defensive end Jonathan Garvin has signed with an agent and will sit out of the bowl game as he prepares for the NFL Draft.

Garvin, who stands at 6’4 250 pounds and hails from Lake Worth, FL, had a massive sophomore year, totaling 60 tackles and 17 tackles for loss. In 2019, Garvin’s numbers dipped to 37 tackles and 9 tackles for loss during a 6-6 regular season for the Hurricanes.

Is this the right decision for Garvin? I do not believe so. He could be a key piece of a strong defensive front in 2020 and his stock could rise with a better season not only from himself, but from the entire team.

This would remind me of RJ McIntosh and Kendrick Norton leaving after the 2017 season. Yes, they're clearly very talented guys, but that doesn't mean that it was the right decision.

I felt like Garvin was a guy I expected to lose after this season, but he did not pop off the screen as a junior the way he did as a sophomore.

If the reports are accurate, the NFL is getting a very talented, fast and aggressive edge rusher with potential that's through the roof. In the proper system, this is a name that could become one to remember five years down the road and I’ll eat crow about believing he should return for his senior year.

**Story will be updated as more information is gathered

Mississippi State RB Kylin Hill declares for NFL draft
Field Level Media
Dec 12, 2019

Junior running back Kylin Hill said Thursday he will leave Mississippi State after the Music City Bowl to enter the 2020 NFL Draft.
"After much prayer and discussion with my family, I have decided it is time for the next chapter in my life and football career," Hill posted on Twitter. "... I look forward to continuing to chase my lifelong dream of playing on Sundays."

Hill also confirmed he would represent the Bulldogs (6-6) one last time against Louisville (7-5) in Nashville on Dec. 30.

Hill leads the Southeastern Conference with 1,347 rushing yards on 235 carries. He has rushed for 10 touchdowns and eclipsed the 100-yard mark eight times in 12 games this season, including a career-high 234 yards in a Nov. 2 win at Arkansas.

ASU football running back Eno Benjamin declares for NFL Draft

The junior recorded 2,867 rushing yards and 27 rushing touchdowns during his career

By Avery Klatsky | 12/11/19 7:46pm
ASU junior running back Eno Benjamin announced he will forgo his senior year of NCAA eligibility and declare for the 2020 NFL Draft via Instagram Wednesday morning.

"I want to thank Coach Herm (Edwards) and every other coach that has contributed to my success on and off the field," Benjamin wrote in the post. "Choosing ASU was the best decision of my life & I'll never regret it."

The Wylie, Texas native finished the 2019 regular season with more than 1,000 rushing yards and 10 touchdowns on 253 carries.

“It has been my pleasure to coach Eno these last two seasons. His contributions to this university cannot be understated, and that goes beyond his historical performances on the field," Edwards said. "Eno exemplifies everything we hope to achieve with the young men that come through this program, and I look forward to seeing him represent Arizona State at the next level.”

Over the duration of his three-season career at ASU, Benjamin accumulated 2,867 rushing yards, 27 touchdowns, and 576 carries in 35 games played.

Benjamin recorded 15 career 100-yard rushing games, the fourth-most in ASU football history. Nine of those games came during his sophomore season.

Following the 2018 campaign, Benjamin was named as an AP Third Team All-American, First Team Pac-12 All-Conference member, and was named the Team MVP at the end of the regular season. He was also renamed to the First Team Pac-12 All-Conference roster this past season.

The 2020 NFL Draft will take place in Las Vegas, Nevada from April 23-25.

Benjamin is not expected to play in the Sun Bowl against Florida State on Dec. 31.

Last edited:
Pat Narduzzi Says Pitt Players Won’t Skip Bowl Game
By
Nate Bell
Published on December 11, 2019

Ahead of Pitt playing Eastern Michigan in the Quick Lane Bowl on Dec. 26, Panthers head coach Pat Narduzzi traveled up to Detroit and held a press conference on Wednesday morning. Narduzzi talked about a variety of topics regarding his team’s regular season team’s season and their final game at Ford Field.

Narduzzi was asked whether any of his players would skip the bowl game in order to be in a better position come draft time.

“I don’t have to ask that question (to my players),” Narduzzi said. “I know they’re going to play for each other.”

Pitt doesn’t have that one clear cut first-round guy that is going to jeopardize losing a ton of guaranteed money by playing in another college football game. But football is a game that you can’t take for granted, but you surely don’t want to jeopardize your dream of making it to the next level with an injury.

While Narduzzi said that none of his players have hinted to him that they would forego playing in the game, he added on Wednesday that, “you never know.”

“You’re only guaranteed 12 games in college football,” Narduzzi said Sunday after finding out where his team would be heading for their bowl game. “So, the opportunity to play one more time in 2019 is something our team is not going to take for granted.”

Pitt safety Paris Ford and defensive end Patrick Jones II have already spoken out about exploring their 2020 NFL draft options. Besides Ford and Jones II, guys such as Jaylen Twyman and Jimmy Morrissey are really the only other two underclassmen with real NFL possibilities at this point in their careers.

“We have never had that problem in the past (of skipping the bowl game) and I don’t expect to have it this year,” Narduzzi said.

Graduating seniors Maurice Ffrench, Damar Hamlin, Dane Jackson and Kylan Johnson are also in line for NFL consideration.

Derrick Brown announces he will play in Outback Bowl

Minnesota’s offensive line isn’t getting off easy. Auburn defensive tackle Derrick Brown announced Friday that he will play in the Outback Bowl instead of sitting it out ahead of the NFL Draft.

“I’m back to finish what I started,” Brown said via Instagram.

After the 2018 season, Brown considered declaring for the NFL Draft but decided to return for his senior season. In his last year, he led a dominant defensive line that held opponents to 115.5 rushing yards per game. He recorded 50 tackles, including 12.5 for loss and four sacks. He led the line in tackles and was fourth on the defense.

Brown was a game-changer for Auburn. He forced two fumbles and recovered two fumbles. He helped make big third down stops, and he pressured quarterbacks all season long. Opposing coaches mentioned him as someone to look out for when they previewed Auburn.

Most recently, while preparing for the Iron Bowl, Nick Saban said Brown had an impact on just about every game this season. He called him a “complete” player and said they have a lot of respect for him. Brown made a huge stop in the final minutes of the game against Alabama to help Auburn win 48-45.

For his efforts, Brown was named a finalist for numerous national awards. He was both the AP and the Coaches SEC Defensive Player of the Year and was on the Walter Camp All-America team.

Minnesota’s offensive line has allowed 30 sacks this season, which is tied for the 100th most sacks allowed nationally. However, opponents only rushed for an average of 127.9 yards per game against the Gophers, which is ranked 28th nationally but seventh in the Big Ten.

The line is relatively young. The oldest starter on the Minnesota line is a redshirt junior, Sam Schlueter. The rest are juniors and sophomores. Four offensive Gophers were named to All-Big Ten teams, but none were linemen. They will go up against a very experienced Auburn defensive line, which is led by Brown but also includes senior defensive end Marlon Davidson who won four SEC defensive lineman of the week awards.

Brown did not say how much he expects to play in the bowl game — just that he will play. Many draft predictions have him going in the first round on April 23. Brown has not had to deal with many injuries this season. He started all 11 games, and when he left the game for an injury, he always returned that game or the next one.

Jerry Jeudy says he will play for Alabama in Citrus Bowl
Updated Dec 13, 2019;Posted Dec 13, 2019

By Mike Rodak | mrodak@al.com and Matt Zenitz | mzenitz@al.com
Alabama wide receiver Jerry Jeudy announced Friday evening on Twitter that he will play in the Citrus Bowl against Michigan on New Year’s day.
Jeudy became the first Alabama player eligible for the NFL Draft in April to publicly announce whether he would suit up in what will likely be his final collegiate game.
While other players have yet to make formal announcements, the current belief at Alabama is that the majority of the team will play in the bowl game aside from Terrell Lewis — who has dealt with a couple significant injuries at Alabama — and maybe one other defensive player, sources told AL.com.

“I’m playing in the bowl game,” Jeudy wrote. “There’s no reason to not play!!!!”

This marks the first year since 2013 that Alabama will be playing in the postseason without a chance at a national championship. The Tide missing the College Football Playoff, and the committee-selected New Year’s Six bowl games entirely, invited speculation that Alabama’s NFL-bound players could sit out.

Jeudy is ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay’s third-ranked overall prospect and top wide receiver.

SEC coaches this week selected Jeudy as first-team all-conference. He enters Alabama’s bowl game in Orlando leading the team with 71 catches while he is ranked second in both receiving yards (959) and receiving touchdowns (nine) behind DeVonta Smith.

Set to play in his 13th game of the season, Jeudy will almost shortly fall short of his 15-game totals from last season (1,315 receiving yards and 14 receiving touchdowns), when he won the Bilenitkoff Award as the nation’s best receiver. He was not among the three finalists for the honor this season.

Alabama returns to practice Monday in advance of the Jan. 1 game against Michigan.

Wisconsin RB Jonathan Taylor plans to play in bowl game

"I played with these guys this season to earn the right to have a bowl game," Taylor told reporters Saturday night. "Especially after today, I want to help these guys finish it out right."

Is the trend reversing? Guys seem more willing to play now.

Skimming through some of the stories and quotes, I think it just depends on the individual and their feelings for their team.

I would keep an eye on the Pitt players, I'm not so sure Narduzzi knows exactly. I think he was honest as of the time of that question, but he did say "you never know".

Thanks, I was wondering about Akers. So Laborn isn't a drop off?

I was also wondering about Aiyuk for ASU, but nobody mentions him potentially sitting.

New players skipping announced since last weekend or not already mentioned:

Alabama - LB Terrell Lewis and DB Trevon Diggs
Georgia - OT Andrew Thomas
Louisiana Tech - CB Amik Robertson
Louisville - OT Mekhi Becton
Minnesota - LB Kamal Martin
UCF - RB Adrian Killins (unsure if WR Gabe Davis status has changed)
Utah - CB Jaylon Johnson (S Julian Blackmon and S RJ Hubert out injured in PAC12 title game)
Washington - OT Trey Adams

Not sure where else to put this, but as of today, the feeling is that Tua is coming back for his senior season. How many of the other draft-eligible guys are coming back with him, but I think the only definites to leave are Terrell Lewis, Najee and Jeudy.

Not sure where else to put this, but as of today, the feeling is that Tua is coming back for his senior season. How many of the other draft-eligible guys are coming back with him, but I think the only definites to leave are Terrell Lewis, Najee and Jeudy.
There is one back, Leatherwood.

Saban is doing Tua a huge disservice if he is telling him anything other than to enter the draft.

Pretty sure Alabama's official position is that they want what's best for Tua. This is all Tua and his family. Think it has a lot more to do with other than money

Hes at best the 3rd qb off the board in the next draft after this one?

I dont get it, only with the injury concerns, obv money not a deciding factor, but this is a likely 8 figure decision

Pretty sure Alabama's official position is that they want what's best for Tua. This is all Tua and his family. Think it has a lot more to do with other than money

I think its crazy to take any more injury risks but clearly the kid and his family care about things other than the big paycheck that awaits him in the NFL. Hopefully they take out a big insurance policy to protect him.

Hes at best the 3rd qb off the board in the next draft after this one?

I dont get it, only with the injury concerns, obv money not a deciding factor, but this is a likely 8 figure decision

I think he should come out now but Lawrence is the only QB that goes ahead of a healthy Tua in the following draft. I know some are high on Fields but I just don't see it at all.

3rd QB next year is still likely top 5, and I don’t think it’s a given Fields goes over a healthy Tua. Difference between going 20-25 and 2-10 is still 10 million guaranteed

Back