Fantasy Football 2014: Breakouts, Busts, Sleepers and Rookies

Gorgolon Lives

The Reverend of CTG
I've done fantasy articles and rankings here over the years, and I hope to actively post this year. It's very early, but here is a position overview for the 2014 Fantasy NFL season. I'll provide a breakout player, bust, sleeper and key rookie at each position. Feel free to add your thoughts.

QB:

Overview:

It seems QB has gradually gotten deeper over the years, and this year it's deeper than ever. I'd be happy with any of the top-15 starters. (I currently have Philip Rivers ranked #15.) Manning will be a consensus 1st round pick, and he will be over-drafted. If he goes for 55+ td's again, that would be legendary at his age. Brees and Rogers will likely be gone in round 2. That leaves roughly 12 rock solid QB's to pick from thereafter, and I don't see a huge jump from someone like Matt Ryan (my QB5) and Kap (my QB10). So my plan is to wait as long as possible and grab two top-15 QBs. Maybe waiting as long as rounds 10 or 11...

Breakout Player:

Despite many mechanical flaws, Matt Stafford, is coming off a very good statistical year. DET added Tate and Ebron to take some pressure off Calvin. Bell and Bush are excellent out of the backfield. First-time O coordinator, Lombardi, will bring a system over which will look similar to the Saints. It's crazy that Stafford is still only 26. He has #1 Overall QB upside. I currently have him ranked #4 overall. He's not in the same tier as the top 3, but that could change as we get closer to the season.

Bust:

A yearly top-5 QB, Brady, is listed at QB17 in my rankings. He's coming off a down year with only 25 TD's, and the upside is not there compared to the other younger QBs in 2014. His numbers will be very dependent upon Gronk's health, and there's no way I trust Gronk to be healthy. One thing I look for in older players is gradually declining stats. Brady's completion % and QB rating has decreased over the last 4 seasons. He's still a great real life QB, but a borderline starter in fantasy.

Sleeper:

Eli Manning is coming off maybe the worst season of his career, but that entire Giants offense was decimated by the O-line injuries. They added some bulk up front, and brought in McAdoo to run the offense. McAdoo will bring a Green Bay style system, and utilize the Giants trio of WRs (Cruz, Randle, and Beckham). With a questionable RB corps, Manning should be throwing a lot more this season. I have him currently ranked at QB16, and he should be available very late in drafts as a QB2 with top-10 upside.

Rookie:

This year's rookie QB class is not very good. The only rookie I have ranked is Football Johnny at QB18. The Browns lost Gordon, so they really don't have a deep threat. I'm personally not high on Manziel, but in terms of fantasy, the rushing yards could be there. Shanahan will likely employ a spread option type system that saw RG3 flourish. Manziel is not rG3, but he's probably the only rookie worth drafting in standard leagues as a lottery ticket QB2.

RB:

Overview:

While QB is is deeper than ever, RB is thinner than ever. The consensus top-3 will be McCoy, Charles, and Peterson in various orders. If you have a top-3 pick, it's a no brainer to choose one of them. But after that, the question marks begin. This year features a bunch of unproven 2nd year running backs. If you look over the years, the success rate of 2nd year running backs who excelled as rookies is very variable. Many bust in year 2. So if I don't get a top-3 pick this year, I will not be taking a RB in round 1. I rather get a stud WR or Jimmy Graham, who I know will produce.

Breakout:

Most will say Gio Bernard, but I like Ellington from Arizona due to the lack of competition behind him. Mendenhall is gone now, so that only leaves Taylor and Dwyer behind Ellington. Ellington had a sick 5.5 ypc as a rookie and caught 39 passes, making him a PPR asset. Arians recently stated Ellington will be the bell cow RB. Even if you extrapolate very conservative numbers for him, you're looking at a floor of 1200 total yards, 7+ td's, and 40-50 catches. He's an easy RB2 with RB1 upside in PPR leagues. He could be drafted multiple spots later than Gio, but I currently have them neck and neck at RB12 and RB13 respectively.

Bust:

Matt Forte is showing up as the consensus RB4 in online rankings, and I think that's way too high. He is 28, and he will turn 29 in December. There is an overall downward statistical trend among running backs once they reach 27-28. It's why I have a slight concern about AP, but he may be an anomaly. Forte is coming off a 363 touch season, which raises another red flag. He's never been a big goal-line type back, so even though Mike Bush is gone, it's not a given that Forte's TD's will raise from 9. He's never been a big TD guy over this career.

Sleeper:

Trent Richardson had a miserable 2013. All reports indicated that he simply never picked up on the playbook. Still, he's only 22 and the Colts gave up a 1st round pick to get him. That means they will not give up on him just yet. Donald Brown is gone, Ballard is coming off an injury and Bradshaw's career could be over. Richardson should be the clear cut bell cow back in Indy, who seems persistent on running the ball. He'll likely be drafted between rounds 4 and 6, and he is a prime bounce back who could produce as a RB1. He's a great target if you go WR early.

Rookie:

The Giants run game is a question mark this year, and I like Andre Williams to emerge as the TD leader. The Giants added Jennings, but he is 29 and has never shown the ability to carry a full load. Wilson is coming off a bad injury, and he had fumble issues anyway last season. I see Williams as the clear cut goal line guy in the offense which should score a lot more this year with a new system. Caughlin historically prefers using a 2 back system. Williams could fill that Jacobs/Brown role, and finish with 10TDs.

WR:

Overview:

Since the NFL has transformed into a passing league, top flight WRs have become more valuable because they have been outproducing many of the 1st round RBs. For example, in standard leagues last year, only 5 RBs scored more than Demaryius Thomas. One of those RBs was Moreno, who no one predicted would finish where he did. Predicting the top 10 RBs is almost impossible this year, but the consensus top 6-8 WRs is and has been very stable. So my plan is to go WR in round 1 if I don't land a top-3 RB. In PPR leagues, I would even consider going with two WRs in the first 2 rounds. Calvin (rd 1), Marshall (rd 2), and Ellington (rd 3) is a great start to a PPR team.

Breakout:

Golden Tate has moved to Detroit, and now he will play opposite Calvin Johnson. This offense will continue to throw a ton as they employ an open system similar to what the Saints used. Tate will be a 15 ypc guy, at minimum. I'd expect his catch total to fall at least around 70-80. (Burleson once had a 70 catch year opposite Calvin.) So conservatively, that puts Tate around 1100-1200 yards. Touchdowns are very hard to predict, but he did score 7 in 2012 in a Seahawks offense that was run dominant. 10+ TD's in this system is not out of the question. I currently have him at WR16, and he could rise if Ebron is slow to pick up on the offense.

Bust:

I was pretty shocked to see Desean Jackson at WR11 in the ESPN rankings. They are the most conservative rankings on the planet, but that seemed way too high. Jackson is coming off a career year, but that was more of a product of Chip Kelly's system. Jackson now goes to Washington who already has a 100+ catch guy in Garcon. Plus, Jordan Reed has emerged as a very solid TE who will be used more this year. I simply don't see DeSean getting enough targets to produce big numbers. And this is all assuming RG3 can play a full year. Jackson has never produced double digit TD's in a season. Last season was the first time in his career that he surpassed 62 receptions. I project him for about 60 catches, 950 yrds and 6 TDs, which makes him a WR3. I have him ranked as WR31, just behind Marvin Jones.

Sleeper:

Every year, I check the 3rd year WR list because a few always emerge with huge years. Michael Floyd tops that list this year. He had 112 targets with the addition of Palmer last season. He could slowly start to surpass Fitz's numbers, who's now 30 years old. Assuming his targets rise, Floyd's big time ypc numbers could make him a 1200+ yards guy. He has the size to be a 8-10 td guy, as well.

Rookie:

Cooks from the Saints seems to have the most defined role of all the rookie WRs, and he could be the biggest producer in year 1. Rookie WRs generally don't fare well in year 1, so let someone else reach for Watkins. Cooks will probably be drafted as a WR3 or WR4. Lance Moore is gone, Colston is getting up there in years, and Kenny Stills is still a fairly unproven player. Graham will lead the team in all receiving categories, but Cooks could fill the roll of #2 target for Brees. It's tough to project rookie stats. Lance Moore had some 65+ catch years, and Cooks is much faster than Moore. Cooks could be a 16ypc guy, so he could surpass 1,000 yards as a rookie. Moore had a few 8+ TD seasons, so that's not impossible for Cooks. In college, Cooks ran a bunch of sweep plays, and Sean Payton could devise some running plays with Cooks especially with Sproles gone. The upside is there because the offense is so good.

Last edited:
I skipped TE analysis, but the position is deeper this year in terms of players who can really have an impact. I have Jimmy Graham as a consensus 1st round pick in all formats. In my PPR rankings, he is #9 overall. Gronk is a curveball again this year, but even if he's healthy by week 1, I still won't draft him. Simply put, I think he's on roids, and his body is susceptible to nagging injuries.

After Graham, I think there are 4 breakouts to target: Thomas, Cameron, Reed, and Ertz. Ebron is a rookie to keep an eye on, but his upside isn't as high with all of the weapons in that offense.

Oh ya, I'll get to this soon, love the time of the year for hockey palyoffs, but it just means football is that much closer!

I skipped TE analysis, but the position is deeper this year in terms of players who can really have an impact. I have Jimmy Graham as a consensus 1st round pick in all formats. In my PPR rankings, he is #9 overall. Gronk is a curveball again this year, but even if he's healthy by week 1, I still won't draft him. Simply put, I think he's on roids, and his body is susceptible to nagging injuries.

After Graham, I think there are 4 breakouts to target: Thomas, Cameron, Reed, and Ertz. Ebron is a rookie to keep an eye on, but his upside isn't as high with all of the weapons in that offense.

If the Chargers had a clue, Ladarious Green would play full time, kid is a beat and could perform like young Gates or current Julius with better goal line chops. Rudolph could take off too with Norvel calling plays.

Love Matt Ryan and RG3 to bounce back, pick both and one will resume upper tier levels, if not both. Romo will chuck the ball like crazy with Linehan calling plays and Linehan will force feed Dez like Calvin. Callahan had no idea how to schematically use a WR of Dez's ilk, Linehan will.

Not a bust per se but Drew Brees won't put up his typical #'s and I agree w/ 187 Ladarious is a beast.

This is the year when Frank Gore doesn't put up 1000+ yards and 8-10 TD's.

Cordarrelle Patterson will be a top 5 WR.

Good read!

There's no way Manziel should be rated anywhere near as high as you have him though. He probably won't even end up starting for Cleveland, and even if he does, his #1 WR is going to be out for the season. There are just too many QBs, and too much depth for Manzeil to be on anyone's roster, let alone be rated above 12 other starters in the league.

Love Matt Ryan and RG3 to bounce back, pick both and one will resume upper tier levels, if not both. Romo will chuck the ball like crazy with Linehan calling plays and Linehan will force feed Dez like Calvin. Callahan had no idea how to schematically use a WR of Dez's ilk, Linehan will.

Where do you target them? Every year I say I'm going to wait on a QB and I always panic by the 5th round.

QB:

Overview:

It seems QB has gradually gotten deeper over the years, and this year it's deeper than ever. I'd be happy with any of the top-15 starters. (I currently have Philip Rivers ranked #15.) Manning will be a consensus 1st round pick, and he will be over-drafted. If he goes for 55+ td's again, that would be legendary at his age. Brees and Rogers will likely be gone in round 2. That leaves roughly 12 rock solid QB's to pick from thereafter, and I don't see a huge jump from someone like Matt Ryan (my QB5) and Kap (my QB10). So my plan is to wait as long as possible and grab two top-15 QBs. Maybe waiting as long as rounds 10 or 11...

I wish I could do this.

I wish I could do this.

You can, just have to be patient in a way and really just have a plan. Especially with the depth as it is at QB now, it makes sense to wait if you're not in a position to get one of the top 3 or 4 guys.

Just going by the rankings you can get someone like Romo in the 6th-10th round...Romo is always a solid fantasy QB, and with his new offensive coordinator this year (Scott Lenihan), he could be a top 3 guy by the end of the year. Romo always seems to be overlooked, mostly due to the perception that he chokes games away (which really has nothing to do with putting up fantasy points).

Then you have someone like Andy Dalton who is rated around 140ish overall....you can probably get him in Round 10 or later. Last year, he was 3rd in fantasy points for QBs (all players as well, obviously). He still isn't getting any love or respect from anyone for some reason...his offense is the same for the most part although they did lose Jay Gruden and replaced him with Hue Jackson who may run the ball more, but with AJ Green it's hard to see them running it 25+ times a game. Dalton gets a bad rap for some bad decision making at times and interceptions, but his playoff failures have nothing to do with fantasy, and last year he was a fantasy stud.

Of course every league is different, and these guys may get scooped up quick in your league...but if they are, there are QBs who are rated ahead of them who should be available...once teams have a QB they probably won't be drafting a backup for a while, which means you can continue to wait to take one yourself.

Here's just one QB ranking from CBS Sports...

[TABLE="class: data borderTop"]
<tbody>[TR="class: row1"]
[TD="class: rank, align: left"]1[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Peyton Manning[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: row2"]
[TD="class: rank, align: left"]2[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Aaron Rodgers[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: row1"]
[TD="class: rank, width: 5%, align: left"]3[/TD]
[TD="width: 45%, align: left"]Drew Brees[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: rank, width: 5%, align: left"]4[/TD]
[TD="width: 45%, align: left"]Matthew Stafford[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: rank, width: 5%, align: left"]5[/TD]
[TD="width: 45%, align: left"]Colin Kaepernick[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: rank, width: 5%, align: left"]6[/TD]
[TD="width: 45%, align: left"]Matt Ryan[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: rank, width: 5%, align: left"]7[/TD]
[TD="width: 45%, align: left"]Andrew Luck[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: rank, width: 5%, align: left"]8[/TD]
[TD="width: 45%, align: left"]Tony Romo[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: rank, width: 5%, align: left"]9[/TD]
[TD="width: 45%, align: left"]Tom Brady[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: rank, width: 5%, align: left"]10[/TD]
[TD="width: 45%, align: left"]Robert Griffin III[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: rank, width: 5%, align: left"]11[/TD]
[TD="width: 45%, align: left"]Jay Cutler[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: rank, width: 5%, align: left"]12[/TD]
[TD="width: 45%, align: left"]Nick Foles[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: rank, width: 5%, align: left"]13[/TD]
[TD="width: 45%, align: left"]Cam Newton[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: rank, width: 5%, align: left"]14[/TD]
[TD="width: 45%, align: left"]Ben Roethlisberger[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: rank, width: 5%, align: left"]15[/TD]
[TD="width: 45%, align: left"]Russell Wilson[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: rank, width: 5%, align: left"]16[/TD]
[TD="width: 45%, align: left"]Carson Palmer[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: rank, width: 5%, align: left"]17[/TD]
[TD="width: 45%, align: left"]Philip Rivers[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: rank, width: 5%, align: left"]18[/TD]
[TD="width: 45%, align: left"]Andy Dalton[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Look at how low Dalton and Rivers are (#s 3 and 4 in fantasy pts last year). They could be easy to get in the later rounds. Even Cam Newton seems low at 13 (although he has a cast of nobodys at WR)....Newton has never finished outside of the top 6 for QBs since he's been in the league, and outside of Steve Smith, who has he really had as a top tier WR in his career?

The point is there are guys on that list outside of the top 10 that you should easily be able to get in the later rounds (at least round 10 or later). Unless you have guys in your league that will draft 2 QBs that early, once 7 or 8 guys in your league get their QB in the early rounds, you can just wait and wait until you want to take your guy. You can fill out and get depth at the other positions while knowing the guy you targeted all along is still there, and will be there for you in the later rounds.

If Johnny starts, he's top 10-15, just because of the running. Running quarterbacks are golden. Doubt he starts out of the gate though, think it's Hoyer's job to lose. Losing Josh Gordon really burns, what a fuck-up.

gorg, what you think about lacy? i put him at the top of the RB tier2. don't think he's worth a 1st rounder?

i'm basically deciding between lacy, forte, and calvin in my first draft at my spot. (3rd in a keeper league). if lacy is there i was gonna go him over calvin then look for ant brown and Vjack in 2nd and 3rd. (keeping ellington 12th round)

gorg, what you think about lacy? i put him at the top of the RB tier2. don't think he's worth a 1st rounder?

i'm basically deciding between lacy, forte, and calvin in my first draft at my spot. (3rd in a keeper league). if lacy is there i was gonna go him over calvin then look for ant brown and Vjack in 2nd and 3rd. (keeping ellington 12th round)

I had Lacy last year and he was solid. I like Lacy, but not where he is being drafted. 2nd year RBs are risky. He's only produced for 1 year and he also has some injury history. It's important to nail your first round pick, so I'd much rather go with the safer stud WR or Graham (if you miss out on a top 3 pick). Like you, I currently have Lacy as the first RB in Tier 2, however, that tier is large and contains guys who I think will be there in rounds 2 and 3. But you're in a keeper league, so you have to factor in everyone who is being kept.

As for Forte, I have him much lower than everyone else...Workload and Age scare me off. Hell, I'm even scared of AP for the same reasons. I have AP at #3 overall behind McCoy and Charles. But if I was picking at 3, I'd sure be hoping someone takes AP at 1 or 2.

If Johnny starts, he's top 10-15, just because of the running. Running quarterbacks are golden. Doubt he starts out of the gate though, think it's Hoyer's job to lose. Losing Josh Gordon really burns, what a fuck-up.

Yea this is the reasoning on Manziel. I'd only draft him as a QB2 if I was able to get a top 3 QB. He's a bench stash lotto ticket, but if he hits, he could be great trade bait.

Where do you target them? Every year I say I'm going to wait on a QB and I always panic by the 5th round.

Cutler's ADP is hovering around 100 overall. So I think you can wait until about round 10 to grab a QB. Maybe even go back to back QB in rounds 10 and 11 to cover your bases. Big Ben is going around 120.

Big year - Mike Wallace

There's a lot of reports out there that Lazor (former Chip Kelly assistant) will utilize Wallace better than they did last season. He's certainly comparable to Desean Jackson who had a career year last year under Lazor and Kelly. I'm starting to come around on Wallace, especially if you can get him as a WR3. He's got some upside.

Brady over Cam? disagree

Yeah, those were simply rankings from one guy on CBS. If you actually read what I wrote, I was simply showing that there are a few guys (like Cam) who are undervalued on most of these lists for some reason. He's been in the top 6 every year of his career, yet he won't be in the top 10 on any lists most likely before this season starts.

QB:

Overview:

I wish I could do this.

I drafted my first QB in my only redraft league last season in Round 10. It was Tony Romo.

News of the day is the Bengals RB situation and the possibility of Bernard getting 300 touches and the rookie getting some action also. My take is that until BenJarvis Green-Ellis is officially cut, we should hold off on trying to predict the RB situation. I do predict he will get cut, but Bengals have rode him for so long ... they seem to like him way too much.

love this post....

tons of great stuff...

you and i differ as to forte's value a little though...i don't feel he has to raise his TD totals to warrant the 4th rb off the board...ESP in a ppr format... he showed no signs of breaking down and has a terrific offense to continue to stay productive through the 14-15 campaign.

News of the day is the Bengals RB situation and the possibility of Bernard getting 300 touches and the rookie getting some action also. My take is that until BenJarvis Green-Ellis is officially cut, we should hold off on trying to predict the RB situation. I do predict he will get cut, but Bengals have rode him for so long ... they seem to like him way too much.

Green-Ellis is all but cut. It's gonna happen.

love this post....

tons of great stuff...

you and i differ as to forte's value a little though...i don't feel he has to raise his TD totals to warrant the 4th rb off the board...ESP in a ppr format... he showed no signs of breaking down and has a terrific offense to continue to stay productive through the 14-15 campaign.

all people ever do is over look Forte and all he does is produce. This year will be no different I imagine.

love this post....

tons of great stuff...

Thanks. Yea I figured most will disagree with me on Forte. He seems to be a consensus #4 or #5 RB off the board. But I think that's more of a product of a weak position this season. I would have liked to see CHI bring in someone who could take some touches off his hands to keep him fresh, considering his age and workload. Maybe the rookie, Carey, is that guy.

Back