ESPN Handicappers Picks--Week 6

TahoeLegend

Pretty much a regular
Steve is going against Stanford again this week. Only two picks for Bear this week. I double checked because he has never had that few, but only two is correct. I bet three teams at the open (listed them on the Week 5: What are we learning thread).

ESPN Pickers:
Stanford Steve— 3-1 (10-10) 2020-21 Total (71-56)

(Best Bet 2-3)
Oregon State –7
Purdue/Maryland o 58x
TCU -6
Washington/Az State o 57

Scott Van Pelt—3-5 (22-16) 2020-21 Total (99-77)
Bowling Green +2
Indiana +22x
LSU +3
Navy +6
Iowa State +2
Army +17
Florida State +3
Arizona +13

The Bear—4-2 (18-8) 2020-21 Total (61-65)
(Bank Picks 10-5)

Houston +3
Arizona +13
(Bear picked N Dame -3x as his third pick on Daily Wager, but did not release it on the podcast)

Gameday Super Dog Picks, Season Record
Lee— win (3-2) 2021 Season 10-3-1
Desmond— win (2-3) 2021 Season 9-5
Kirk—— win (4-1) 2021 Season 9-4-1
Reece——win (4-1) 2021 Season 9-5
David——win (5-0) 2021 Season 8-6

Other Pickers:
Adam Kramer—5-3 (33-16)

Iowa State +2
Miami -3x
TCU -6
LSU +3
Maryland -3
Virginia +3
Florida -11
Rutgers +3
N Dame -3x

Colin Cowherd Blazing Five— 2-3 (11-9) 2020-21 Total (66-77)

Phil Steele—3-1 (16-13) 2020-21 Total (78-87)

Elon -17 v. Towson
Ohio State -27
Wake Forest/Army o 65x
Stanford +7
Utah -3x
Iowa State +2

Pamela Maldonado—2-3 (13-12) 2021 (17-23)
Kansas +7
Missouri +11
Ball State +7x
Arizona +13
James Madison/Ark St u 55x

My Picks—7-4 (19-18) 2020-21 Total (108-65)
I bet three teams at the open (listed them on the Week 5: What are we learning thread).
Texas -5
Miss State -4
Miss State ML (-190)
TCU -6
Kansas St pick
Kentucky ML
Strong lean Kentucky, NC State, UCLA. Lean Illinois (if it comes down to 3), Okla State, Wash St. Don't have real strong feelings about any others for now. I'll wait to see what all the pickers on this site have to say.

ESPN D-League Pickers:
Tyler Fulghum—2-1 (10-4-1) 2021 (17-15)

Nevada +3x
Florida/Mizzou u 54
Toledo -5x

Greg McElroy— 3-0(10-5) 2021 (22-17)
S Carolina +10
LSU +3
Texas Tech +9x

Joe Fortenbaugh—1-2 (7-8) 2021 (25-33)
Bama –
Ohio State -26x
LSU/Tenn o 63x

Doug Kezirian—1-4 (4-13) 2021 (22-28)
Nevada -3x
Mich/Indiana o 59x
Oregon/Arizona o 70x

MLDog Pickers:
Bill Bender—(0-0) (5-10) 2021 (9-30)

Purdue
N Carolina
Oklahoma

Mike DeCourcy—((0-0) (5-10) 2021 (15-24)
Iowa
Stanford
Houston

Zac Al-Khateeb—((0-0) (3-12) 2021 (17-23)
Norhwestern
North Carolina
Missouri

Bill Trocci—((0-0) 2021 (16-23)
Northwestern
Washington State
North Carolina

Last edited:
Now I see why the Kentucky line is plunging. QB is questionable. I'll wait till game time and see if he plays. If he does, that's a great number

The Oregon State QB is also questionable, but I haven't seen them all year so I don't know how good he is or even if the one hurt is the starter

Now I see why the Kentucky line is plunging. QB is questionable. I'll wait till game time and see if he plays. If he does, that's a great number

The Oregon State QB is also questionable, but I haven't seen them all year so I don't know how good he is or even if the one hurt is the starter
Nolan's the starter. i don't like him at all, but i'm harsher on him than most.

Lean UCLA. It would be a strong lean, but for the fact I have never once, in all the years I've been betting, been able to predict whether UCLA will come out ready to play. I'm in no hurry on this one. I think if the line moves it will move my way

I have 3 bets so far.

Oregon -11
Tennessee ML -140
Purdue +3
I know some good handicappers who are on Purdue with you. I don't feel like I know those two teams well enough to handicap it, but I love the Purdue D and I always want to have the best D going for me.

What are you seeing about Purdue you like?

Last edited:
Added Kezirian's picks. Has Nevada as his Best Bet of the Week. Looks like a better pick than last week when New Mexico State was his Best College Bet of the Season so far.

Nevada -3x
Mich/Indiana o 59x
Oregon/Arizona o 70x

Regarding the Oregon State QBs, I tend to give very broad labels and I'd say Chance Nolan is simply a 'good enough' QB. He can play better and they can get better QB play from him or somebody else, but they could also get worse. I was surprised when he was injured last week that they went with the less experienced QB in Gulbranson at Utah. He threw 2 INTs and had only previously played mop-up late in games. They have Gebbia on the roster and I don't think he is hurt. Gebbia has started some games for them. Gulbranson is a third year Fr (redshirt and covid year, I guess you can be a year 3 freshman).

Last year Stanford started a back up QB for this game and it was ugly. Stanford has found various ways to play ugly this year as well with their starting QB. But they do put up some yards and sometimes score points. Both teams have played tough schedules, Stanford generally looking worse doing so. The tough games in which Oregon State are off of could give the Cardinal a chance though. Oregon State as a road favorite is quite rare, and they also don't do too well as a road chalk. Stanford finds a way to upset some teams. Last year they were 3-9, but two of their wins were as dogs vs ranked opponents. In the covid year they finished the season with 3 straight upset wins. And in 2019 a 4-8 season, they found a way to pull off a DD dog upset of Washington.

I know some good handicappers who are on Purdue with you. I don't feel like I know those two teams well enough to handicap it, but I love the Purdue D and I always want to have the best D going for me.

What are you seeing about Purdue you like?
I like O'Connell & Jones (both in 6th year) and I think the Purdue safety was defensive player of the week last week. The Purdue offense can keep pace with MD offense, if need be and Boilermakers do not quit. I like taking the +3 with a live dog with their offense and when they lose they seem to never be out of the game until it is over. The Purdue defense is decent, but not great which is about the same as Maryland's. I do give the edge to Purdue on defense and at the QB position (I may be in the minority).

Added Kezirian's picks. Has Nevada as his Best Bet of the Week. Looks like a better pick than last week when New Mexico State was his Best College Bet of the Season so far.

Nevada -3x
Mich/Indiana o 59x
Oregon/Arizona o 70x
They brought up how far below the ATS number that the Nevada opponent has performed so far. one of them basically said he will fade them every week.

Clay Travis.
Week 5: 6-7
Season: 23-19

Week 6:

Nebraska -3 @ Rutgers

Over 61.5 Arkansas @ Messy St

LSU +3 vs Tenny

Georgia -29.5 vs Auburn

Under 65.5
Utes @ UCLA

Vandy +18
vs Ole Miss

Ohio St -26.5 @ MichSt

OVER 35.5
Iowan @ Illini

Aggies +24 @ Bama

NCSt -3
@ FlState

FWIW I lean his way on Over in Starksville, Georgia-29.5, Under with Utes and Vandy +18

They brought up how far below the ATS number that the Nevada opponent has performed so far. one of them basically said he will fade them every week.
Even with two bad teams the Norvell factor makes it an interesting game. He took players with him when he left for CSU and now they are all coming back to town.

CSU was supposed to be better than Nevada but instead it's like that line Di Nero says in Once Upon a Time In America when the two gangsters who were childhood buddies meet as old men, "You made your decision and it turned out bad for both of us

Clay Travis.

Week 6:

Nebraska -3 @ Rutgers

LSU +3 vs Tenny

Georgia -29.5 vs Auburn

Under 65.5 Utes @ UCLA

Vandy +18 vs Ole Miss

Ohio St -26.5 @ MichSt

OVER 35.5 Iowan @ Illini

Aggies +24 @ Bama

NCSt -3 @ FlState

FWIW I lean his way on Over in Starksville, Georgia-29.5, Under with Utes and Vandy +18
Jefferson is still listed as questionable for Arkansas today with head injury. If he plays it should be a track meet.

Not sure who Arkansas will start if Jefferson can't go. Hornsby was supposed to be great out of HS, but they have been using him some as a RB so don't know if he's even still a QB, but whoever subs in isn't likely to come close to Jefferson.

Clay Travis.

Week 6:

Nebraska -3 @ Rutgers

LSU +3 vs Tenny

Georgia -29.5 vs Auburn

Under 65.5 Utes @ UCLA

Vandy +18 vs Ole Miss

Ohio St -26.5 @ MichSt

OVER 35.5 Iowan @ Illini

Aggies +24 @ Bama

NCSt -3 @ FlState

It's as if he shopped around and tried to get the worst number in Starkville...

Even with two bad teams the Norvell factor makes it an interesting game. He took players with him when he left for CSU and now they are all coming back to town.

CSU was supposed to be better than Nevada but instead it's like that line Di Nero says in Once Upon a Time In America when the two gangsters who were childhood buddies meet as old men, "You made your decision and it turned out bad for both of us
CSU lost at home to Sacramento State 41-10 two weeks ago. That's as unbelievable as Utah St. losing 35-10 to Weber St at home. I don't know how you bet an 0-4 team coming off an ass kicking from an FCS school like that. But the line hasn't really moved so they must be. Have 1u on Nevada -3. Lets hope CSU doesn't finally find it.

I hate being against McElroy...I have Tenny ML. Makes me reconsider. I think he is the best of the bunch
Several of the great cappers I read are on Tenn with you. He's the first I've seen on LSU but must be many others on them due to line move. But agree I like his thought process.

Added Adam Kramer's picks. He's been the hottest picker of all and his worst week was last week at 5-3.

I see he's also on LSU. I'm really tempted by LSU based on my perception of their defense and because I love to bet on Kelly, but when I look at the stats Tennessee has almost the same level D as LSU and a much better offense. I think I'll probably pass on that one.

Iowa State +2
Miami -3x
TCU -6
LSU +3
Maryland -3
Virginia +3
Florida -11
Rutgers +3
N Dame -3x

Vols/lsu is tough, this gonna be a super small card for me. I havnt played anything as of yet and only have few things wrote down.

Added Adam Kramer's picks. He's been the hottest picker of all and his worst week was last week at 5-3.

I see he's also on LSU. I'm really tempted by LSU based on my perception of their defense and because I love to bet on Kelly, but when I look at the stats Tennessee has almost the same level D as LSU and a much better offense. I think I'll probably pass on that one.

Iowa State +2
Miami -3x
TCU -6
LSU +3
Maryland -3
Virginia +3
Florida -11
Rutgers +3
N Dame -3x

I think vols d is vulnerable, especially in the secondary. Heard lsu had some players only meetings w Daniels amd the wrs this week, I’m thinking more along the lines of a prop play here opposed to side tho.

Vols/lsu is tough, this gonna be a super small card for me. I havnt played anything as of yet and only have few things wrote down.
One of the best games of the day and I agree it's tough to handicap. I see equities on both sides. I like having that Tenn offense going for me and I like having LSU at home getting points. And I really like to back both coaches. No question which way I'd go if this one is a night game. Going to be steamy hot in Baton Rouge and that may have an effect.

It always turns out bad when I bet a game where I like both sides so I'll likely pass

I only like about 5 or so this week. I'm using LSU/Tenn as a contest pick. I have to have 10 and I try just as hard to get those right as I do the ones I put money on. It's LSU or pass for me.

I haven't seen anyone mention Utah/UCLA. I lean to UCLA, but it's too hard for me to handicap

I only like about 5 or so this week. I'm using LSU/Tenn as a contest pick. I have to have 10 and I try just as hard to get those right as I do the ones I put money on. It's LSU or pass for me.

I haven't seen anyone mention Utah/UCLA. I lean to UCLA, but it's too hard for me to handicap

I agree if I had to bet I’d be on lsu.

If ucla plays like last week I think they win, I just never know w them.

I agree if I had to bet I’d be on lsu.

If ucla plays like last week I think they win, I just never know w them.
They are the most unpredictable team in the country to me. And they've been that way for years.

I just put a game on my radar--BYU/N Dame. The line has listed N Dame as the home team all week and I thought it was at South Bend. Just found out it's in Vegas in the Raider Stadium. Puts a different slant on the game. Game of the year for BYU, just another game for N Dame against what they see as a second tier team. Problem is I have no real idea what kind of team N Dame is or what kind of coach Freeman is. I know he was a DC who produced a damn good defense.

I don't have a lean, but the fact it's a neutral site game in Mormon territory means the crowd will be a factor

Anyone betting BYU/N Dame?

They are the most unpredictable team in the country to me. And they've been that way for years.

I just put a game on my radar--BYU/N Dame. The line has listed N Dame as the home team all week and I thought it was at South Bend. Just found out it's in Vegas in the Raider Stadium. Puts a different slant on the game. Game of the year for BYU, just another game for N Dame against what they see as a second tier team. Problem is I have no real idea what kind of team N Dame is or what kind of coach Freeman is. I know he was a DC who produced a damn good defense.

I don't have a lean, but the fact it's a neutral site game in Mormon territory means the crowd will be a factor

Anyone betting BYU/N Dame?

I don’t have a great feel for what nd is either but I think they too physical for byu and the fact they lost that game to Marshall I don’t see them taking any game lightly. I think byu wrs still banged up also.

Added Pam Maldonado's picks. Lot of handicappers like Mizzou this week.

Kansas +7
Missouri +11
Ball State +7x
Arizona +13

The prop I’m talking bout is Daniels over passing yards I just wanted to get it bet before I started talking too much and lose the number, he has alrssdy crept up to 210.5 up few yards, im down on him now tho so everyone can pound away! Lol

Added Pam Maldonado's picks. Lot of handicappers like Mizzou this week.

Kansas +7
Missouri +11
Ball State +7x
Arizona +13

Seems like the right side to me, if anything they posting some strong d and I don’t think gators super tough to defend. I hate tigers offense but that lot of points

Posted SVP picks.

He's on Iowa State. Haven't seen a public handicapper so far who's on Kansas State. I see their reasoning with that strong defense at home.

Bowling Green +2
Indiana +22x
LSU +3
Navy +6
Iowa State +2
Army +17
Florida State +3
Arizona +13

Posted ML Dog pickers:

Bill Bender—(0-0) (5-10) 2021 (9-30)
Pursdue
N Carolina
Oklahoma

Mike DeCourcy—((0-0) (5-10) 2021 (15-24)
Iowa
Stanford
Houston

Zac Al-Khateeb—((0-0) (3-12) 2021 (17-23)

Norhwestern
North Carolina
Missouri

Bill Trocci—((0-0) 2021 (16-23)
Northwestern
Washington State
North Carolina

Added Phil Steele's picks. I don't even need to use Phil's name. Anyone who looks at the first pick knows it has to be Phil Steele:

Elon -17 v. Towson
Ohio State -27
Wake Forest/Army o 65x
Stanford +7
Utah -3x
Iowa State +2

Posted SVP picks.

He's on Iowa State. Haven't seen a public handicapper so far who's on Kansas State. I see their reasoning with that strong defense at home.

Bowling Green +2
Indiana +22x
LSU +3
Navy +6
Iowa State +2
Army +17
Florida State +3
Arizona +13

I like the Arizona play but I was really wanting a passing yards prop for De Laura, I can’t believe they don’t have one listed but maybe the fact they were 200 yards off last week giving them pause! Lmfao

Rolling with UCLA +3.5 and a little on the ML

I was all over DTR pass yards last week, thing ended up closing 30 yards above open and was still short, I’m kinda wondering if they over compensated here tho. So against a awful udub pass d everyone has lit up they open him 207.5 close around 237ish, now this week against a highly rated utes d his number sitting in the 250s? Hmmm, I don’t love playing unders but I’ve had success w the few I do. Very tempted on this one as I think it gonna be a really physical game. I think the key will be the game staying close, if ucla got behind it prob be toast.

Current card for today (been very fortunate with SMU/UCF Under and UH TT Over 27.5 in the weekday games)

Purdue +3
Tenny ML -140
TCU 1H total TT Over 17.5 (I see it is now 19.5, hope it bodes well)
Oregon -11
UCLA +3.5 & ML

Parlay UCLA ML and TXTECH+10

ADDS below:

Ohio State -26.5

Last edited:
Current card for today (been very fortunate with SMU/UCF Under and UH TT Over 27.5 in the weekday games)

Purdue +3
Tenny ML -140
TCU 1H total TT Over 17.5 (I see it is now 19.5, hope it bodes well)
Oregon -11
UCLA +3.5 & ML

Parlay UCLA ML and TXTECH+10

ADDS below:

Ohio State -26.5

Not Really much difference between 17.5 and 19.5 is there? Outside something flukey basically need 20 to cash either way.

I took a shot on mizzou/gators 1st half under 27. Think mizzou can contain fla offense and mizzou offense should stop themselves

Back