ESPN Handicapper Picks--Week 10

o, I don’t think so,” Lake said, hands folded, shaking his head. “I think that is way more pumped up (by the media and public) than it is. Our battles are really … the schools that we go against are way more … have academic prowess – like the University of Washington, Notre Dame, Stanford, USC. We go with a lot of battles toe-to-toe all the way to the end with those schools. So I think that’s made up a lot and pumped up in your (recruiting service/media) world. In our world we battle more academically prowess teams.”
Ha! I love it, although I prefer to see coaches do it after the game. These little slights do a lot to fire up a team

I was shocked to see Mark Stoops, of all people, take a shot at Leach and Mississippi State before that game. It is totally out of character for Bob or Mark Stoops to shoot their mouths off before a game, but Mark said, "oh, there's not much to the air raid offense. It's easy to understand it and easy to stop it."

I was already leaning to Miss State in that game and that quote made sure I bet it.

You see TV talking heads like the guys on Daily Wager and print reporters all the time who say, "oh, those kinds of things mean nothing, players pay no attention to that stuff." Just another way they are totally full of shit. It doesn't mean a team will automatically win when an opposing coach insults them, but it definitely adds to a team's fight and determination

That's why every coach in the history of sports posts every comment any opposing coach or player makes

Ha! I love it, although I prefer to see coaches do it after the game. These little slights do a lot to fire up a team

I was shocked to see Mark Stoops, of all people, take a shot at Leach and Mississippi State before that game. It is totally out of character for Bob or Mark Stoops to shoot their mouths off before a game, but Mark said, "oh, there's not much to the air raid offense. It's easy to understand it and easy to stop it."

I was already leaning to Miss State in that game and that quote made sure I bet it.

You see TV talking heads like the guys on Daily Wager and print reporters all the time who say, "oh, those kinds of things mean nothing, players pay no attention to that stuff." Just another way they are totally full of shit. It doesn't mean a team will automatically win when an opposing coach insults them, but it definitely adds to a team's fight and determination

That's why every coach in the history of sports posts every comment any opposing coach or player makes

it def more than nothing imo. not everything but it something! why you would want to give a team extra incentive all week to practice and study harder is beyond me?

In number theory, Fermat's Last Theorem (sometimes called Fermat's conjecture, especially in older texts) states that no three positive integers a, b, and c satisfy the equation an + bn = cn for any integer value of n greater than 2. The cases n = 1 and n = 2 have been known since antiquity to have infinitely many solutions.[1]
A perfect description of what I see when I try to handicap UCLA or Stanford or any other Pac 12 team. I don't think there is a single team that is reliable.

For instance, UCLA beat LSU by double digits, lost to Fresno at home, beat Stanford by double digits on the road, lost to Ariz State by double digits at home.

Stanford lost by triple digits to Kansas State, beat USC by double digits, lost to UCLA by double digits, beat Oregon by a TD, lost to Ariz St by triple digits,

Ariz St lost to BYU by double digits, beat UCLA by double digits on the road, beat Stanford by triple digits, lost to Utah by triple digits, lost to Washington St at home by triple digits.

I can't make sense of that kind of stuff

I was wavering but wanted to bet Oregon....see alot of UDub love out there. Read Lake's comment and took Oregon.

If I was the D Line coach for O, I would tell them that Lake and his whole team have told the world you're stupid. I might tell my team that we need to walk into the bar and kick the shit out of everybody that told the world that their mothers raised a dumb ass

Added picks for ML Dog pickers. They continue to do an excellent job
ML DOG PICKERS:
Pamela Maldonado
Week 10 (0-0) Season (12-11)
Miss St

Bill Trocci— Week 10 (0-0) Season (14-13)
Auburn
Miss State
UTEP

Zac Al-Khateeb Week 10 (0-0) Season (13-14)
Liberty
Maryland
Texas

Bill Bender-- Week 10 (0-0) Season (9-18)
Wake Forest
ULM
Miss State

Not even sure I know others at ESPN other than Kellerman and Steven A. I like Kellerman, didn't like him having to play the role of anti SAS, was too forced and those debate shows are sports equivalent of Jerry Springer.

Do like several of the people who call games. Pasch and Walton are elite together, Rece does fine moderating Gameday but still much preferred Fowler.

SVP is always entertaining though, even was at Golf Channel back in the day.
My always reminder that Kellerman for boxing ain’t bad. All the rest I can pretty much leave behind

Washington State would actually be the most consistent team in the PAC 12

Yeah, when I watched boxing I thought Kellerman was good. He was new and young, but made good points. Once they started having him do other stuff his style and personality wasn't to my liking. The only time I have ESPN on now is for a game or immediately after the game. I have no idea who or what they have on during the day or on night when they don't air sports.

Washington State would actually be the most consistent team in the PAC 12

Yeah, when I watched boxing I thought Kellerman was good. He was new and young, but made good points. Once they started having him do other stuff his style and personality wasn't to my liking. The only time I have ESPN on now is for a game or immediately after the game. I have no idea who or what they have on during the day or on night when they don't air sports.
Yezzir

Looks like late money is coming in on BC and Utah in the Friday night games

BC is now +2x, Utah is now -10

i have no clue who the hell playing qb for BC, i hope the Jurkoviec rumors true but regardless i think they can find a way tonight.

When the year began I thought sure I'd win four or five times with Wyoming. They had EVERYBODY back and have been a good team to back under Boles. Always tough, hard hitting, good QB, good RBs, good running game. A typical Boles team. At least that's how they should have been.

Now they are getting 3x at home in their biggest rivalry game and I can't see a single reason to bet on them. They've lost four straight ATS and SU and the one they won before the losing streak was UConn and they barely won that one and lost it ATS.

Colorado St looks like the side at first glance. They have one of the best D's in the country, and yet they are only 3-5 on the year and are one of the most inconsistent teams in the country.

I have won consistently over the years betting the Golden Boot game or whatever it is, but not this year. I consider myself very lucky to have won the one time I bet Wyoming

When the year began I thought sure I'd win four or five times with Wyoming. They had EVERYBODY back and have been a good team to back under Boles. Always tough, hard hitting, good QB, good RBs, good running game. A typical Boles team. At least that's how they should have been.

Now they are getting 3x at home in their biggest rivalry game and I can't see a single reason to bet on them. They've lost four straight ATS and SU and the one they won before the losing streak was UConn and they barely won that one and lost it ATS.

Colorado St looks like the side at first glance. They have one of the best D's in the country, and yet they are only 3-5 on the year and are one of the most inconsistent teams in the country.

I have won consistently over the years betting the Golden Boot game or whatever it is, but not this year. I consider myself very lucky to have won the one time I bet Wyoming

i thought wyo had a chance to represent this side the MW as well, they been hugely disappointing. Been waiting for Chambers to be healthy for years it seems, turns out the mfer wasnt any good to begin with!! lol.. Cant believe im saying it but they were far better off with Levi (whatever his last name was) playing qb. Chambers is so inaccurate, big strong kid but he cant hit the broad side of a freaking barn throwing a FB!! Only good thing about them is they did me the favor of barely beating ucon so it made me suspicious of them before losing much on them, lol. I did play them vs AF and in all honesty the refs truly decided that game, it was criminal the way that game was officiated, seemed like the damn ref could barely even keep a straight face when making those redic calls!! if i didnt know any better id bet money that ref had previously served in one branch of armed forces or another!

Bet Online has moved BC to pk, it's off the board for me

Already on under 47, hope that doesn't get jacked up

Downside of betting openers, can't control that
I am glad this worked out. I did not understand the total jumping that much with the news that the BC QB would be back for his first game in a while and would likely be rusty and Turner being out which eliminated any VT passing game. I understood the spread moving although it only moved a couple of points.

Reactions: KJ
I am glad this worked out. I did not understand the total jumping that much with the news that the BC QB would be back for his first game in a while and would likely be rusty and Turner being out which eliminated any VT passing game. I understood the spread moving although it only moved a couple of points.
Classic case of perception that he'd jump back in and light it up vs reality. Never fun closing 4 points worse than the number at kickoff but this one I really wasn't overly concerned with. Injury steam usually gets such an overreaction, not just in football either.

i mean it was obviously high to begin with but think when a qb comes back that imo is prob worth every bit of 7 points over the scrub he replacing they kinda have to move it i suppose. i doubt anyone really knew how he would look. i was certainly thrilled to have him in with my BC plus money ticket, even tho he was rusty he didnt make all the god awful plays ive seen Grosel make that had lost them games.

i mean it was obviously high to begin with but think when a qb comes back that imo is prob worth every bit of 7 points over the scrub he replacing they kinda have to move it i suppose. i doubt anyone really knew how he would look. i was certainly thrilled to have him in with my BC plus money ticket, even tho he was rusty he didnt make all the god awful plays ive seen Grosel make that had lost them games.
Yeah, I guess generally speaking, but the way this game was setting up with VT not having anyone on offense who could break one and was gonna have a hard time scoring and with BC only needing to pound the ball.

Yeah, I guess generally speaking, but the way this game was setting up with VT not having anyone on offense who could break one and was gonna have a hard time scoring and with BC only needing to pound the ball.

i feel ya, just think it was a case of number being too high in the 1st place and having no choice after the qb announcement. Hell, i wouldnt be surprised if news of Jurk back and total moving up might have persuaded some ppl into taking the over! ppl love overs!!

i really like Willis over 48.5 rushing yards prop. if you throw out the few games against teams liberty played vs the very bottom the barrel where they had no need for his rushing (cambell and umass), he has smashed this number in 5 of their other 7 games. You know he gonna want to show out on this stage, his oline doesnt protect all that well and rebs do a good job getting pressure so that should force more scrambles, every game rebs have faced a qb close to willis caliber running the ball they have easily gotten over this number. Gotta figure he has at least 12-15 carries here and if he does that he should be way closer to 100 imo.

2 more props i like:

Clifford over 240.5 passing yards.. terps are allowing almost 9 yards per attempt and 15 per completion! psu cant run the ball for shit so this gonna be all on cliffords arm and id think a good bounce back game for these guys. terps have allowed way more than this to basically every solid passing team they have faced, even freaking iowa qb got over this number! what more ya need!! lol

O'Connell over 266.5 passing yards.. i been back and forth on this game all week, i initially leaned sparty but it another scary game for them. the thing that would worry me as a purdue backer is can they finish when they get into scoring range? What im pretty sure of is Oconnell will be able to throw all over them between the 20's! Purdue is 7th in the country in pass attempts per game and 14th in yards avg over 307 a game. Sparty really struggles defending the pass, they been lit up threw the air on the regular, no team has been thrown on more and only one team in the country is allowing more than the 324 sparty is giving up thru the air.,. in the end i decided why drive myself crazy trying to figure out a winner when one thing im sure of is O'Connell should easily eclipse this number!

i really like Willis over 48.5 rushing yards prop. if you throw out the few games against teams liberty played vs the very bottom the barrel where they had no need for his rushing (cambell and umass), he has smashed this number in 5 of their other 7 games. You know he gonna want to show out on this stage, his oline doesnt protect all that well and rebs do a good job getting pressure so that should force more scrambles, every game rebs have faced a qb close to willis caliber running the ball they have easily gotten over this number. Gotta figure he has at least 12-15 carries here and if he does that he should be way closer to 100 imo.

2 more props i like:

Clifford over 240.5 passing yards.. terps are allowing almost 9 yards per attempt and 15 per completion! psu cant run the ball for shit so this gonna be all on cliffords arm and id think a good bounce back game for these guys. terps have allowed way more than this to basically every solid passing team they have faced, even freaking iowa qb got over this number! what more ya need!! lol

O'Connell over 266.5 passing yards.. i been back and forth on this game all week, i initially leaned sparty but it another scary game for them. the thing that would worry me as a purdue backer is can they finish when they get into scoring range? What im pretty sure of is Oconnell will be able to throw all over them between the 20's! Purdue is 7th in the country in pass attempts per game and 14th in yards avg over 307 a game. Sparty really struggles defending the pass, they been lit up threw the air on the regular, no team has been thrown on more and only one team in the country is allowing more than the 324 sparty is giving up thru the air.,. in the end i decided why drive myself crazy trying to figure out a winner when one thing im sure of is O'Connell should easily eclipse this number!
Metchie over 82.5

Metchie over 82.5

i really just started dabbling more with ncaa props last month or so, i looked at him but feel like wrs can be a little tougher. He outta get it easy tho. he has really come on as of late, why were his numbers so low the 1st 5 weeks?

Yeah, Wyoming is very strange this last run of games they have been on. Unless they pop a big play somehow, they can't do anything.

Colorado State is one of those teams...they have issues.

Yeah, Wyoming is very strange this last run of games they have been on. Unless they pop a big play somehow, they can't do anything.

Colorado State is one of those teams...they have issues.

under probably the way to go if ya really wanna bet that game, should be ugly as all hell. i think csu is gonna have more success running the ball but i cant lay points here, looks like a freaking rock fight. 17-14 or some shit.

think i have decided i dont care how square it is or the sandwhich spot, not like it be the 1st time i be wrong on baylor (just 1st time it would be backing them, lol), I just cant imagine they looking ahead cause next week wont mean squat if they go and lose to this scrub tcu team. Dont see why firing the guy who built this program and brought these kids here is gonna all a sudden get a awful defense to play better? the defensive run metrics for tcu are staggeringly bad, and bears rushing metrics are really good, this looks like a mismatch from hell. line should be freaking at least -10 imo, tcu beat these guys last year so that outta be enough to have bears attention.

I know you took off Virtual Locks but Joey is on a 4-0 run.

His plays are:

Oregon (-7)
Over 77 (Wake Forest/No Carolina)

I know you took off Virtual Locks but Joey is on a 4-0 run.

His plays are:

Oregon (-7)
Over 77 (Wake Forest/No Carolina)

I think his run comes to a end! Lol, might get to 5 1st, I dunno, those freaking mid/high 70s totals are freaking tough. Those 2 could def hang a Hundo+ but I really hate playing these when they the early start game, all it takes it a sluggish quarter and it gets really tough to hit this. Of course these 2 could prob hit this in 3 qrtrs if they get rolling! I do kinda wonder if unc tries to establish some run game as Howell way better when they do that for a couple reasons, 1st and foremost that oline needs help slowing down pass rushes, 2nd he only has one wr he really seems to trust so they need to draw more attention to the box. I could just be overthinking it, I do that on these high totals! Lol.

This whole game confuses me. Almost everyone i know, the lames and guys I respect alike are on wake (usually bad), typically line moves when that the case yet there it still sits! Some money has to be backing unc behind the scenes! My favorite podcast only gives out 1 play a week and their play was unc (I think they do better when they play a total tho). I didn’t like their argument for the heels, they seemed stuck on believing heels defensive talent has to show up at some point. while I agree the defense is way more talented than the numbers have been i think we too far into the season to expect things to change! There can be cases for that, we talked bout how much better I thought ville defense was than the numbers but there was a justified reason for it. In heels case I don’t see it, they just got roasted by a pedestrian Irish offense for Christ sakes! It real hard for me to buy they gonna all a sudden rise up after 8 weeks of bad play, no matter how talented I thought they were coming into the year! I gotta believe despite the individual talent they simply not a good unit for whatever reason cause that what we have seen most the year!! They have had 3 decent defensive performances all year and they came against bad teams. The acc teams w anywhere close to wf offensive talent have lit them up.

I feel better saying his ducks pick could be in trouble. Don’t like Udub coach calling ducks dumb but I do like huskies defense to keep that game close.,

think i have decided i dont care how square it is or the sandwhich spot, not like it be the 1st time i be wrong on baylor (just 1st time it would be backing them, lol), I just cant imagine they looking ahead cause next week wont mean squat if they go and lose to this scrub tcu team. Dont see why firing the guy who built this program and brought these kids here is gonna all a sudden get a awful defense to play better? the defensive run metrics for tcu are staggeringly bad, and bears rushing metrics are really good, this looks like a mismatch from hell. line should be freaking at least -10 imo, tcu beat these guys last year so that outta be enough to have bears attention.
I took that line on open and it hasn't budged, scares me.

Baylor on the road this season:

-13.5 @ Tx State, won by 9
-17 @ Kansas, won by 38
+4 @ Okie Lite, lost by 10

TCU at home this season:

-42 Duquesne, won by 42
-11.5 Cal, won by 2
-9.5 SMU, lost by 8
+4 Texas, lost by 5
-4.5 WVU, lost by 12

Traditionally I've not like Baylor away from home, just always seems like they can beat anyone at home and lose to anyone on the road and I prefer using that as the most consistent thing about their games. TCU is obviously all over the map, opposite of consistency and with only 3 games away from Waco, there isn't much to judge Baylor road games this season. Guess they and Texas are very comparable for me for lining purposes, I sure wouldn't be lining up to bet them needing to win by a TD on the road. TCU defense sucks but they will still likely put up some decent to very good numbers on offense I'd think. 6.5 seems a tad high to me but not enough to play it out the gate, might do it live if I can make some sense of the game flow a couple drives in.

Baylor on the road this season:

-13.5 @ Tx State, won by 9
-17 @ Kansas, won by 38
+4 @ Okie Lite, lost by 10

TCU at home this season:

-42 Duquesne, won by 42
-11.5 Cal, won by 2
-9.5 SMU, lost by 8
+4 Texas, lost by 5
-4.5 WVU, lost by 12

Traditionally I've not like Baylor away from home, just always seems like they can beat anyone at home and lose to anyone on the road and I prefer using that as the most consistent thing about their games. TCU is obviously all over the map, opposite of consistency and with only 3 games away from Waco, there isn't much to judge Baylor road games this season. Guess they and Texas are very comparable for me for lining purposes, I sure wouldn't be lining up to bet them needing to win by a TD on the road. TCU defense sucks but they will still likely put up some decent to very good numbers on offense I'd think. 6.5 seems a tad high to me but not enough to play it out the gate, might do it live if I can make some sense of the game flow a couple drives in.

well it doesnt really shock me, we have not agreed on all that many of late, lol.. everything on the field screams baylor and by margin imo, i know the situation isnt ideal with just playing texas and another big game on deck but think that why this spread under a td. I went ahead and just crossing my fingers they remained focused in their preparation for this game, if i get both teams best effort i have no doubt Bears win by 7+.. I have no idea what we get from TCU but how good can it possibly be? they right there with mizzou and ku as some the worst power 5 defenses i have seen! ill take my chances a program that wasnt good all that long ago isnt gonna take any game for granted. gl today

i cant believe i made a bet that good news broke before kick and made my number look good!! lol
Ha! I can't recall ever betting a game and my team got a QB back no one thought was ready to play and the other team lost their QB almost as soon as the game started

This stat only applies to the last 7 weeks and the two games last night, and only includes the teams Daily Wager reports on--about 10 NFL games and 10 college games a week--and list the percentage of tickets on each team, but it is amazing.

NFL public teams have won ATS 66% of the time, college teams have done even better and after those games last night are winning ATS 68% of the time

I was always skeptical of that claim that betting with the public is automatically a losing proposition. I think it was reverse engineering. People know most of the public loses over the course of a season so they decided therefore it must be a loser in every game. Typical sportsbook guy thinking

The claim always reminded me of guys who think they have a better shot at winning at craps if they bet the don't pass line because they are betting with the house.

This stat only applies to the last 7 weeks and the two games last night, and only includes the teams Daily Wager reports on--about 10 NFL games and 10 college games a week--and list the percentage of tickets on each team, but it is amazing.

NFL public teams have won ATS 66% of the time, college teams have done even better and after those games last night are winning ATS 68% of the time

I was always skeptical of that claim that betting with the public is a losing proposition. I think it was reverse engineering. People know most of the public loses over the course of a season so they decided it was always a loser.

The claim always reminded me of guys who think they have a better shot at winning at craps if they bet the don't pass line because they are betting against the public.

just like anything i think there was a time that it was a good angle, none these things last forever tho, if they did this be easy. Have to adjust with the times.. plus who knows if those numbers are accurate.. either way it never been a driving influence behind my bets, i like it better when im on the unpopular side but it only happens organically, like army today. Sometimes i have a tougher time making a play on a overwhelming popular side, like Wake and sparty today. Ended up passing on both we see if i made the right call.

either way it never been a driving influence behind my bets,

Same here. I pay no attention to it at all and never have when I'm putting money down.

The only reason I even know it exists is because so many TV guys who handicap games mention it as a reason to bet or not bet a game. Bear uses it as a major factor every week and we know what his record is.

Too me its a none factor

Same here. I pay no attention to it at all and never have when I'm putting money down.

The only reason I even know it exists is because so many TV guys who handicap games mention it as a reason to bet or not bet a game. Bear uses it as a major factor every week and we know what his record is.

Too me its a none factor

i dont care about percentages, it been 5 years since i ever even went to a place to look at them. that said i am skeptical of games like Wake today where everyone i know is on them!! those generally dont turn out well! even a few the sparty ones this year i at least knew or saw a few ppl taking other side, plenty on purdue today. pretty much everyone was on Wake, i usually avoid those but nothing to do with random percentage, just my own eyes, lol.

i took a leap of faith with memphis and sounds like their qb gonna play also!!
I might have been with you on that game if I had known the QB was playing

I liked two dogs a lot--Nebraska and Memphis--but passed on both for various reasons. I'm going to be pissed if they both cover

I don't have anything going this morning except Wake Forest/N Caro over as first team in a 2-team parlay, other team to be named later

The two bets some of my buddies love are Hawaii and Kentucky/Tennessee under. I don't have a feel for either bet, but I may wind up taking the points on the Hawaii game depending on how things go today.

You got anything you feel real strong about the rest of the day?

I might have been with you on that game if I had known the QB was playing

I liked two dogs a lot--Nebraska and Memphis--but passed on both for various reasons. I'm going to be pissed if they both cover

I don't have anything going this morning except Wake Forest/N Caro over as first team in a 2-team parlay, other team to be named later

The two bets some of my buddies love are Hawaii and Kentucky/Tennessee under. I don't have a feel for either bet, but I may wind up taking the points on the Hawaii game depending on how things go today.

You got anything you feel real strong about the rest of the day?

im on both of those, nebraska offense is really pissing me off and kicker missed a fg, mem has had a fg blocked..

damn, i love the vols/uk over,, are your buddies generally sharp or suck at this like most my friends? lol

2;30 i like baylor, messy st/ark 1st half under 27, south bama +4, couple props i already posted, and we butting heads on the aub/am game, i couldnt resist the points.. ill post the night games when i play them later on, as of now i just have the over in vols/uk and under in duck/udub.

I noticed the same thing

And according to Daily Wager Michigan State has the highest percentage of tickets on them of any team this week, college or pro

yea but i talk with plenty of ppl who playing purdue so wouldnt bother me so much like wake did.. problem with sparty/purdue is i have no idea myself, i was back and forth on that game all week, ended up just going with O'Connell over 266.5 passing yards cause the one thing i felt really good about was he gonna be able to throw on sparty between the 20"s, whether they can finish drives with tds i think be what decides that game and i had no clue. llol

damn, i love the vols/uk over,, are your buddies generally sharp or suck at this like most my friends? lol
They are sound when it comes to handicapping sides, not that great on totals. I think they got the idea from public handicappers. They heard a couple of different guys they respect talking about the under so they took it

That stat about service teams going under was right on the money, at least in the first half.

Back