EPL Aug 25 to 26 Plays from North of the Border

Toronto_Mike

Scent of a Woman
Starting Bankroll: $10,000
Record: 15-20-1 -$2799
Totals 5-3
Big Plays: 0-1

Last week was rough, thought i had that Fulham pretty well sorted out but a lucky Mido goal and a referee error decided the Fulham match. But thus that is gambling.

Sunderland vs Liverpool

Sunderland 6.00
Draw 3.60
Liverpool 1.57

Sunderland were trashed last week on the road to a suprising Wigan. Manager Roy Keane won't be too pleased considering they've had a some what comfy schedule to start off. Now they will face a title challenger that is the Liverpool juggernaut. Liverpool will be extremely frustrated with their 1-1 draw against Chelsea last week where they were robbed of a clear victory. It was apparent for majority of the game Liverpool were the better team although there were some lapses during set pieces. Nevertheless, Rafa Benitez has a huge squad to work with. Captain Steven Gerrard is out of this match, as expected due to the hairline fractured he suffered vs Toulouse. He is extremely crucial for the team but Rafa will have sufficient backup at his disposal. It would be wise to keep him rested because the return leg vs Toulouse is on the 28th. I think we'll see a little bit more of a shuffle from the Reds this game, the quality is heavily favored for Liverpool. Yes they have not fared well on the road the past few seasons but they played well in Toulouse in the scorching heat nevertheless, they managed to finally break the opening day duck on the road at Villa Park. I think, the signings Benitez has brought in are doing a fantastic job, i hope to see the likes of Voronin, Benayoun and Babel to be introduced in this match. Sunderland's defense will be tested yet again, they were completely overmatched by Sibierski and Heskey. Key defender Paul McShane will be a questionable call considering he had to receive 10 stitches to the head during the Wigan match. Roy Keane is so desperate to bolster his defense up that he's even looked into bringing Ian Harte and Samuel Kuffour. I don't see how Sunderlands attack will penetrate Liverpool's defense. The Black Cats may get something along the wings but in the middle they are in a lot of trouble. This should be a comfortable win for Liverpool, but i think they'll have their eyes solely set on Toulouse 3 days after. Another typical Benitez match, get the 3 points, stay healthy and get a clean sheet.
Bet: Liverpool -0.75 @ 1.80 $250 to win $200
Liverpool ML @ 1.57 $350 to win $199.50
Liverpool to keep clean sheet @ 2.00 $300 to win $300
Prediction: Sunderland 0-2 Liverpool
Goal Scorers: Liverpool, Andriy Voronin, Dirk Kuyt

thanks for the heads up, i switched it up. Liverpool to win to nil was actually 2.50

I'm confident Liverpool will win this match i just think they will play a typical game where their defensive midfielders just stop any form of a Sunderland attack. Can't see them losing points here.

I don't think its too early to judge a team like Liverpool. They've already played some difficult games and have done well. But Sunderland have had a soft schedule and to be trashed 3-0 to Wigan....speaks a lot of words for their defense.

Expect your Reds to continue their current form, take care of business in the league and the CL.

gl mike

making clean sheet games aren't the kinda bets that make you money season long, and to raise your bank for that particular kind of bet is unreasonable.

i hope this comes in for you pal, cos like the chap above said, pool have been skeptical on away games last few seasons, but this year they do look good.
stevie g is out though and is irreplaceable, so lets see how they do, but they shouldn't have to much probs as they have so many options, Mascher can come in or one of their new players can too, who knows...but they look good this season and with Carragher confirming international retirement, you have no worries of national team fatigue with him.

Though ALOT of the pool team played midweek...

gl again

wuntun

Good luck Mike, i wouldnt be too sure about this, especially with Gerrard out. Sunderland is certainly capable of surprising ANY team in front of their own fans, so ill certainly skip this game as i cant see how Liverpool could be such big favorites for this one, but i hope it comes through for you (and for all Liverpool fans)

thanks fellas, i'll stick by the play.

Up to this point Liverpool's midfield and defense have looked extremely impressive. They've allowed 2 goals from 2 penalties, one being a joke and should of not stood. Again this is one of those games that Benitez would just love 3 points and nothing spectacular. Perhaps the Stadium of Light will bring Sunderland good fortune, but defensively, the squad is in a bit of a grind. I'll go with the team that seems better prepared at the moment, Pool seem to be set with the squad they have whereas Sunderland seem keen to bring in more faces.

hey Mike. Great thread overall and great discussion guys.

The way I see this game is, Liverpool could win in their fashion when away performances are concerned, 0:1, but I don't quite know what to do with it. Liverpool to keep clean sheet might be a good idea but I wouldn't touch it at this point.

The Reds have brought in a lot of talented attack-oriented players, and even though Gerrard is indeed irreplaceable, testing guys like Voronin and Benayoun more wouldn't be a bad idea, they should both do the job at the Stadium Of Light against Keane's team.

S'land have entered the season on a rather positive note, so as I said, I wouldn't risk my money on 1.57.

My choice here would either be Liverpool -1,5 with 3-4 units (at the price of 2.60 or more), or nothing. So they either win in a convincing manner, a lot of new players on the team, eager to prove themselves, a team of top quality, they should contain the hosts quite efficiently, hence I expect either Sissoko or Mascherano to play (Masche more likely), OR they will struggle since several of their men are still not 100% synchronized with the rest of the team.

As a big LFC fan I would be satisfied with any kind of win really, especially since this is a rather tough schedule (once again this year), playing quite a lot of games away from Anfield.

GL Mike & go REDS

Arsenal vs Manchester City
Arsenal 1.57
Draw 3.80
Manchester City 5.50

Manchester City take their perfect record to London where they face Arsenal in what should be an intriguing match up. Both squads have high profile managers who have vast experience. Manchester City will have to do without their new signing Valeri Bojinov, the Bulgarian just recently arrive to City and well he's now out of the line up for up to 5 months because of a knee injury he sustained last week. The lack of firepower maybe a problem however the defense are off to a fantastic start. 3 games, 3 clean sheets. Micah Richards and Richard Dunne are holding fort and young Kasper Schmeichel is starting to get recognized. Arsenal on the other hand will also be short handed with a starter. Goalie Jens Lehmann is out after aggravating an achilles injury. He will be replaced by Manuel Almunia who Wenger has highly rated. Perhaps this is a blessing in disguise because Lehmann cost them the game vs Blackburn and had a blunder vs Fulham. Captain William Gallas is out of the line up after picking up a groin injury. Emmanuel Adebayor is expected to be named to the squad after recovering from an injury, however i doubt Wenger will select him over van Persie and Eduardo. Arsenal's attack has been efficient but its been their midfield and defensive play that has been most impressive. This will be a tight encounter, i don't think Man City's attack has what it takes to crack down the Gunners at The Emirates, i think we shall see a tight defensive game.
Bet: Under 2.5 @ 1.775 $300 to win $232.50
Prediction: Arsenal 1-0 Manchester City
Goal Scorer: Arsenal, Robin van Persie

Aston Villa vs Fulham
Aston Villa 1.72
Draw 3.40
Fulham 5.00

Aston Villa will look to get their first win of the season when they take on Fulham at Villa Park. Fulham have managed a pathetic 2 road wins in the past 2 seasons. They also have yet to win at Villa Park since 1966. Fulham will want to try and regroup after a questionable clash with Middlesbrough last week where a clear goal from David Healy was not given and a lucky Mido goal sealed their fate at the Cottage. To make matters worse, captain Brian McBride got injured and will be sidelined for a few months. This makes way for new signing Kamara to partner up with Healy. I think this partnership will take some time to get use to because McBride was an excellent caretaker of the ball and Healy finished superbly and now you got Kamara who's more of a dribbler and finisher. Aston Villa will feel anything less than a victory against Fulham would be a failure. They played well vs Newcastle and were unfortunate to come out with the full 3 points. Villa still have some issues at the Right Back after losing Delaney to retirement, Craig Gardner has come up to fill the spot for the time being. The defensive partnership of Martin Laursen and Olof Mellberg has looked very efficient and a healthy Laursen has looked absolutely superb the first 2 matches. Striker John Carew has been nursing a slight groin injury the past few weeks but scored 2 goals vs Argentina for Norway during a friendly. I think this game will be ideal for him to use his size to get a goal. The speed on the wings with Young and Agbonlahor should be a little too much for Baird and Konchesky. I think Fulham's goalkeeping issue will be the flaw in this game. They signed Kasey Keller who is a great replacement but unfortunately he will not be featured in this match which means Tony Warner will have one more game to start. I cannot touch this match because of my love for Villa and the fact that these 2 teams have drawn their last 5 matches. I don't know if playing the Over is such a good idea considering MON has typically set up a very defensive game.
Bet: NO BET
Prediction: Aston Villa 2-0 Fulham
Goal Scorers: Aston Villa, John Carew, Ashley Young

mike-
Have a real hard time backing Arsenal here vs City. Man City is at the top of the table and feeling supremely confident. Arsenal is a great side, but a bunch of players are coming back from travel and I think the huge odds for Man City are quite tempting. I am going to look at a draw line here or perhaps a small play on City in fact.
I think the liverpool under 2.5 is a great bet now...and in fact have parlayed it with 3 other games. I really think Liverpool without Gerrard is a different team and Sunderland will have plenty of trouble scoring. Gimme lots of Pool/Sunderland u2.5 tomorrow.

g'luck and cheers:cheers:

Bolton vs Reading
Bolton 2.25
Draw 3.20
Reading 3.00

This is a desperation game for Bolton. Bottom in the league after 3 matches, having already allowed 8 goals, you'd have to wonder, just how much longer till Sammy Lee gets the axe. Ivan Campo has already stated that the atmosphere of the club is completely different since the departure of former manager Sam Allardyce. Reading on the other hand has got to be the most impressive team so far, considering they drew with Man Utd 0-0, Loss to Chelsea 1-2 and beat Everton 1-0. Steve Coppell surely knows how to work a team with a lack of star power. Sammy Lee has yet to win a game under the 5 games he has managed and this could be 6. Bolton's dressing room is in a mess considering both strikers Nicolas Anelka, and El Hadj Diouf voiced their opinions about leaving. Steve Coppell will be boosted by the news that striker Leroy Lita can make his season debut however, there are still some concerns about the fitness of some key players such as Michael Duberry, Seol Ki-Hyeon, John Oster and Graheme Murty. I think Coppell will take the same approach has done the first 3 games, close down possession quickly, force the opponents to make turnovers and then press up as a team. I think opportunities will come few and far between in the match and when they do, i think Reading have the better chance of converting. I'm concerned about the mentality of the Bolton squad, i think the team is completely disorganized and Coppell will have the mental edge considering his side beat Bolton on both occasion's last season.
Bet: Reading +0.25 @ 1.90 $300 to win $270
Under 2.25 @ 2.00 $300 to win $300
Prediction: Bolton 0-1 Reading
Goal Scorer: Reading, Kevin Doyle

dylan,
i'm not wagering on Arsenal, i just think Arsenal will nick one so i prefer the Under. I certainly believe in past h2h's and the fact Manchester City have yet to win vs Arsenal in London since 1975 bothers me. Manchester City had one clear shot vs Man Utd and they scored other than that it was their defense that was doing all the work. I also think Arsenal's flare will be a bit more intense. The Man City midfield were fortunate enough not to have to deal with Ronaldo in their last game and now they have to deal with Fabregas, Hleb and van Persie who are all fantastic dribblers. I expect Man City's wall to finall collapse, Kasper Schmeichel is in for a real awakening. Lets not forget who Man City have played, 2-0 win over West Ham....nothing special. 1-0 Win over Derby.....should of been more, 1-0 win over Man Utd, yes that's great but they were on their toes majority of the match.
As for the Pool match, i sure as hell hope if it hits the under Liverpool come out on top and have a clean sheet, lol. I think they have their mind set on Wednesday when they take on Toulouse and hope to wrap up the CL Qualification in style.

Chelsea vs Portsmouth
Chelsea 1.25
Draw 5.00
Portsmouth 13.00

Chelsea will be fortunate to come out of last weeks heated encounter vs Liverpool with a point. Referee Rob Styles clearly gave away a cheap penalty which resulted in a 1-1 match. Now they come back home to Stamford Bridge where they recently recorded some history by playing the most successive home games without a defeat. Their last defeat was in the 2003/2004 campaign vs Arsenal. Chelsea recently let Arjen Robben leave for Real Madrid after a long off season hold out. It won't matter because wingers Florent Malouda and Shaun Wright Phillips have been working extremely well on the flanks. Last match we saw Michael Essien who normally plays behind Lampard in the centre of the park slot over to the right back position. That is a hole that Mourinho feels he has covered with the recent signing of Belletti from Barcelona. However, don't expect him to be featured in this match just yet. Portsmouth have last 8 out of 8 matches at Stamford Bridge and Chelsea don't expect things to change as much. Portsmouth will welcome back the defensive trio of Sol Campbell, Lauren and Noe Pamarot. John Terry will continue to boss the Chelsea defense along side Tal Ben Haim. Frank Lampard has been under a lot of scrutiny from the Media but silenced them with a rocket of a goal during England's midweek friendly vs Germany. I think both teams will open up the space and make this a very interesting encounter. Chelsea will have a few Internationals on the squad who maybe a little fatigued. Portsmouth have an amazing attacking option. One of my favorite players thus far this season has got to be John Utaka. Every time i've wagered for him to score a goal he delievers so why not try again. The Nigerian is showing huge promise and will most likely start again along with Kanu and Benjani. This should be another entertaining game of football. I also think this game will be a lot closer than suggested, if Chelsea win this encounter, i would suspect it will only be by 1 goal.
Bet: Over 2.5 @ 1.80 $300 to win $240
Portsmouth +1.25 @ 2.125 $300 to win $337.50
John Utaka to score anytime @ 5.50 $50 to win $225
Prediction: Chelsea 2-2 Portsmouth
Goal Scorers: Chelsea, Frank Lampard, Claudio Pizzaro Portsmouth, John Utaka, Kanu

Derby vs Birmingham
Derby 2.37
Draw 3.25
Birmingham 2.87

As expected, both Derby and Birmingham are off to a slow start having achieved only 1 point each, this is a crucial encounter for both teams knowing they are in a relegation battle. These 2 newly promoted squads have one thing in common, they are having a hard time finding consistency infront of the net. Birmingham were hoping Mikael Forssell was going to lead the goal scoring but the injury prone Finn pulled out of the Finland squad midweek because of a calf problem. Manager Steve Bruce is eager to find someone who can be a consistent go to guy for the goals. This is also the same problem for Derby boss Billy Davies who has been shut out the last 2 games after scoring 2 on their opening day match vs Portsmouth at Pride Park. Both teams will not field their strongest possible XI because of injuries and both teams do not have the necessary depth that can help them progress in this league. Birmingham did win both encounters last season at the Championship so this will be a fairly tight game again. The 3 points up for grabs will be the most crucial points either of these teams can get until they play other relegation contenders. Personally not the most entertaining game to bet on but i feel the lack of firepower is a huge problem for both squads and that a defensive approach would be taken. I think a single goal will decide this encounter and the home team will most likely take that advantage.
Bet: Under 2.25 @ 1.90 $300 to win $270
Prediction:
Derby 1-0 Birmingham
Goal Scorer: Derby, Robert Earnshaw

West Ham vs Wigan
West Ham 1.90
Draw 3.25
Wigan 4.00

Another match similar to the Derby/Birmingham game where these two teams were tipped as preseason favorites to get relegated. However, Wigan have done well so far getting 2 wins out of the 3 matches. Lets not get carried away though. The Latics have played Everton, Middlesbrough and Sunderland. Not the most difficult of schedules. Looks like they can contend against the other relegation battlers at home but on the road? Who knows. West Ham will look for their first home win of the season. Having just scored 1 goal from a penalty that needs to change. Defensively, West Ham will welcome back captain Lucas Neill into the line up after he has recovered from his knee injury. Scott Parker is still doubtful which means the West Ham midfield will again be very mediocore. Wigan will have a full squad to select, the duo of Heskey and Sibierski will look to continue a fine start, however, they face a much better defensive team in West Ham and are on the road. Interesting thing to note though is that the last 6 meetings between the 2 have resulted in away victories. Both these teams are inconsistent and i don't know what to make of this match that's why i won't touch it. West Ham's offense is down right awful, whereas Wigan's record is overrated at this time.
Prediction: West Ham 1-0 Wigan
Goal Scorer: West Ham, Kieron Dyer

Everton vs Blackburn
Everton 2.10
Draw 3.20
Blackburn 3.50

I don't have time for a write up right now, but i think this a great match up between two squads with great coaches and with European ambition. Both squads are also extremely physical, so expect some cards to be flying around. Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger had mentioned Blackburn conformed to "dirty tactics" however manager Mark Hughes disagrees as well as the players who believe they play the same way they do every game against every other team. These 2 play extremely tight games, the loss of Benni McCarthy has hurt Blackburn's offense and if it wasn't for Jens Lehmann's blunder last week, Arsenal would of taken the 3 points. The midfield is packed with talent on both sides, players who are able to dictate the tempo. My quick assumption is that this game will be played to the final minute. Should be a close match and if that's the case i think the Under is a good play.
Bet: Under 2.25 @ 1.925 $300 to win $277.50
Prediction:
Everton 0-0 Blackburn

Starting Bankroll: $10,000
Record: 15-20-1 -$2799
Totals 5-3
Big Plays: 0-1

Last week was rough, thought i had that Fulham pretty well sorted out but a lucky Mido goal and a referee error decided the Fulham match. But thus that is gambling.

Sunderland vs Liverpool
Sunderland 6.00
Draw 3.60
Liverpool 1.57

Sunderland were trashed last week on the road to a suprising Wigan. Manager Roy Keane won't be too pleased considering they've had a some what comfy schedule to start off. Now they will face a title challenger that is the Liverpool juggernaut. Liverpool will be extremely frustrated with their 1-1 draw against Chelsea last week where they were robbed of a clear victory. It was apparent for majority of the game Liverpool were the better team although there were some lapses during set pieces. Nevertheless, Rafa Benitez has a huge squad to work with. Captain Steven Gerrard is out of this match, as expected due to the hairline fractured he suffered vs Toulouse. He is extremely crucial for the team but Rafa will have sufficient backup at his disposal. It would be wise to keep him rested because the return leg vs Toulouse is on the 28th. I think we'll see a little bit more of a shuffle from the Reds this game, the quality is heavily favored for Liverpool. Yes they have not fared well on the road the past few seasons but they played well in Toulouse in the scorching heat nevertheless, they managed to finally break the opening day duck on the road at Villa Park. I think, the signings Benitez has brought in are doing a fantastic job, i hope to see the likes of Voronin, Benayoun and Babel to be introduced in this match. Sunderland's defense will be tested yet again, they were completely overmatched by Sibierski and Heskey. Key defender Paul McShane will be a questionable call considering he had to receive 10 stitches to the head during the Wigan match. Roy Keane is so desperate to bolster his defense up that he's even looked into bringing Ian Harte and Samuel Kuffour. I don't see how Sunderlands attack will penetrate Liverpool's defense. The Black Cats may get something along the wings but in the middle they are in a lot of trouble. This should be a comfortable win for Liverpool, but i think they'll have their eyes solely set on Toulouse 3 days after. Another typical Benitez match, get the 3 points, stay healthy and get a clean sheet.
Bet: Liverpool -0.75 @ 1.80 $250 to win $200
Liverpool ML @ 1.57 $350 to win $199.50
Liverpool to keep clean sheet @ 2.00 $300 to win $300
Prediction: Sunderland 0-2 Liverpool
Goal Scorers: Liverpool, Andriy Voronin, Dirk Kuyt

good call

Mornin Mike, nice hit on Liverpool, BOL with rest. Sittin on your lads right now, not lookin good, maybe they could get thier sched changed and play TFC 10 times a year give em a chance to win 5 or 6 games this season, j/k. Well hopefully they can pot 1 by the interval and add 1 in the 2nd half.Cheers Steve

Middlesbrough vs Newcastle
Middlesbrough 2.70
Draw 3.20
Newcastle 2.50

Middlesbrough come into the match with a lucky win over Fulham last week. A poor referee decision in the last minutes disallowed Fulham at least a draw with Boro. Now back at The Riverside, Boro look to win their first home game of the season. They still have a weak backline but Jonathan Woodgate and Luke Young are back training. Midfielder Fabio Rochemback is back after serving his 3 match ban, so that will give some creativity in the midfield. Newcastle's Mark Viduka will make his return to the Riverside, he's been off to a shakey start this year. His age is getting the best of him. Newcastle are coming off a 0-0 draw at home to Aston Villa. Manager Sam Allardyce will want a much better effort today, considering they depended on goalie Steven Harper to help them secure a point. Still, Newcastle are lacking creativity in their squad, with no Damien Duff and no Joey Barton, the Newcastle attack looks totally stalled. To me this game is still up in the air. I don't trust either of the teams defenses nor do i trust the offense to run the show. Both teams at this current time just have too many key injuries to put money in and it seems more than likely will have a scrap game. But i think the home comforts of the Riverside will some how help Gareth Southgate's men while Newcastle are left to figure out whats going on with their attack.
Prediction:
Middlesbrough 1-0 Newcastle
Goal Scorer: Middlesbrough, Mido

Manchester Utd vs Tottenham
Manchester Utd 1.50
Draw 4.00
Tottenham 6.00

Manchester Utd need to kick off the season now. 2 teams that the media have been all over play today. You've got the defending champions still trying to get a win. You got a team stacked with talent but have hardly shown what they are capable of doing. This past week alone, Tottenham's manager Martin Jol has been a huge media target for the sacking. Lots of rumors going around but that's just part of football, we'll see if he overcome the pressure considering the Tottenham board have given him 100% backing. Man Utd are still looking for their first win of the campaign. They were unfortunate to at least secure a point last week in the Manchester Derby and look to be even more frustrated with not being at least to score a goal. So they go back to Old Trafford to see if they can finally get off the tally. It is no suprise in each of the 3 games United have played, they have had numerous of chances to score but it has not shown on paper. Now they face a Tottenham side that is faced with serious injury problems at the backline. This could be the time United open up some serious damage. Tottenham will start with Bent and Keane up front after Berbatov is out with a groin injury. Carlos Tevez will make his home debut and surely will get a huge reception. I think the Argentine gets off the mark today and take advantage of that huge Tottenham gap. The Utd defense has still been exceptional and i think they should be able to continue the Tottenham offense who still lack the creativity they need from the wings. I don't think Malbranque will have the game he did last week against a much weaker Derby side. Tottenham have not beaten Man Utd since 2001, i expect that trend to continue. Going to probably have a go betting live as well.
Bet: Manchester United -1 @ 1.90 $300 to win $270
Manchester United ML @ 1.50 $300 to win $150
Prediction: Manchester United 2-0 Tottenham
Goal Scorers: Manchester United, Carlos Tevez, Paul Scholes

Steve,
good to see you bud, Villa pulls it out in dramatic fashion lol. Good thing they pulled it off!

Thanks Mike, potted 1 in the last minute to make for a nice weekend, had the boys matched up with Juvee, Chelsea & Sevilla in various combos all won so made for a very profitable weekend. BOL with your plays today gonna lay off today.

Will be in town till Thursday will give you a call. Cheers Steve

Back