Did anyone hear herbie last night?

• Thread starter Thread starter dudleysdad
  • Start date Start date
D

dudleysdad

Heard him saying he hopes the playoff committee will evaluate more on the talent and what they see on the field than the records and then he named 2 loss Stanford and HIS one loss Ohio State Buckeyes.
Also, brought up how Stanford hammered undefeated Iowa(prior to conf title game) as an example.
So why dont we just hand out the top 4 next season to the 4 teams with the most 5 star recruits.
Not even sure how he mentions ohio state, they looked like shit all season. Seems like he is just ranting again for the big boys. They deserve a break if they lose.

its like on one hand i kind of agree lets get the best 4 in the playoffs, we all know Ohio State had the most talent and prob best team but if you looked what they did on the field they didnt look like the best team until they played michigan n ND..... if you say you can lose 2-3 games and get in because we know hey your talented it dilutes the regular season which they put so much emphasis on, and like u said lets just put the teams with the most 4/5 star recruits... you get that 1 loss if it happens to sneak your way back in to top 4 but OSU has nobody to blame but themselves they thought they could sleep walk thru there schedule and they got snake bitten and lost to a team in there div that they couldnt pass in the playoffs and not to mention it was the backup as DD favs and they were dominated so again OSU look in the mirror.....if MSU loses to Michigan good shot ohio st makes its way back and Stanford lost to there kryptonite late in season which u just cant do

Heard him saying he hopes the playoff committee will evaluate more on the talent and what they see on the field than the records and then he named 2 loss Stanford and HIS one loss Ohio State Buckeyes.
Also, brought up how Stanford hammered undefeated Iowa(prior to conf title game) as an example.
So why dont we just hand out the top 4 next season to the 4 teams with the most 5 star recruits.
Not even sure how he mentions ohio state, they looked like shit all season. Seems like he is just ranting again for the big boys. They deserve a break if they lose.

I think both you and Herbie have good points. I agree with him that Stanford and Ohio State were amongst the best four teams in college football this season but, as you said, how can you possibly justify it? You can't.

I think that has to be an over-reaction to the lack of competitive games, especially among the New Year's 6. Next year if there's 3 incredible games between semis and final, plus good games in the Sugar, Rose, etc, the talking point will be that the committee is doing it right

Thought the correct four made it this year. Herbie likes new math too, probably.

A committee just picking the 4 teams they think are the most talented doesn't guarantee a good game either. Ohio State and Stanford could have gotten blown out just the same as Michigan St and OU. Or they could have blown out Clemson and Alabama. I wish they'd use the BCS computers to determine the top 4. No need to let humans with inherent bias in the equation at all. Short of having some clear path to making the postseason like a conference champ requirement, etc

Funny that Herbie needed to move from Columbus to Nashville despite his supposed unabashed 'homerism'.

Hard for me to believe that people think these were actually the top 4 teams this year. We have a subjective system that uses conference championships with unbalanced divisional alignments (or pseudo conference championships, ie. Big 12) and timing of losses (!) as a facade to create some notion of objectivity. I think most of the time they'll get it right but this year they got it flat out wrong if we're talking the 4 best teams. And I'm including the Rose Bowl selection into the mix as that was an extension of the committee's final rankings. Big time fuck-up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was not the 4 best teams, 2 deserved to be there - 2 did not.

Blame Michigan State.

Michigan state and clemson were clearly the most deserving. Ohio State has no argument over msu, and doubt this years bigten deserved two. Some will argue ole miss deserved it over bama but I don't agree. Win your conference. By PR ole miss would make it. And OU was fairly uncontroversial.

Stanford is entirely UNDESERVING

I think the lopsided losses in the playoffs and the big wins by Stanford and Ohio State in their respective bowl games make people think they got the teams wrong, but you can't justify putting either of those teams in with the losses they had during the season. It would have been interesting to see the top 4 teams according to the BCS though.

Stanford is entirely UNDESERVING

I think I'm the only person that remembers Stanford getting shut down by NW.

Stanford vs OSU would've been a terrific Rose Bowl match-up and could've helped solidify the final rankings...too bad we couldn't see it.

I think the lopsided losses in the playoffs and the big wins by Stanford and Ohio State in their respective bowl games make people think they got the teams wrong, but you can't justify putting either of those teams in with the losses they had during the season.

I'm not saying that OSU deserved to get in but why was it ok that Oklahoma got their shit stomped vs a crummy Texas team?

I'm not saying that OSU deserved to get in but why was it ok that Oklahoma got their shit stomped vs a crummy Texas team?

It was earlier in the season and since there was not a championship game they didn't miss it, kind of like OSU last year with their loss earlier. Don't get me wrong - I'm an OSU fan and would have loved to see them play for the ship because I think they could have won again, but they lost late and missed the conference championship game. No way could they jump MSU in the final standings. Neither MSU or OU should have been in, but no one else should have jumped them. This would have been a year where people would have been OK with the BCS.

Back