Danny Green got his Championship party after all

avg of 5.6 million people watched the stanley cup final games

the nba finals brings forth 5 times as many viewers

just saying...

Since you brought soccer into this. Worldwide, soccer viewers/fans would dwarf the NBA viewers/fans by a few times over.

Just saying...

what the fuck are you talking about?

You're saying that NBA players get paid too much? And for that reason they dont understand how the life of the average fan is? Serious?

I really hope that comment is a joke because I don't see how you can say NBA players are worse than MLB or NFL players in that regard. And I in no way think that athletes get paid too much money.

I was half in the bag and running out of steam, gimme a break. I do think NBA players are on another level of disconnect though.

I was half in the bag and running out of steam, gimme a break. I do think NBA players are on another level of disconnect though.

You're probably just a racist. A vast majority of NBA players are black. Is that what you're saying tip?

:hello:

He did as well, a few posts before you. I quoted him brah. It was his response to reason #88 the NBA sucked...flopping.

aye, fair enough, good

i hope good futbol players aren't subject to this comparison

I'm starting to get creeped out by the tipyerbartender racism inferences.

haha, I knew you were

but, does anyone else have a problem with Green. I mean who the fuck parties with the team that just beat them

Too much to read, but if someone hasn't mentioned it in here already - LeBron and Danny Green are BFF's. dates back to Green's stint with Cleveland. Makes sense why he showed up. Doesn't mean anyone has to like it.

Danny Green had a cup of coffee with the Cavs. 2nd round pick, one maybe two years I believe, never played much? They were hardly soul mates.

Since you brought soccer into this. Worldwide, soccer viewers/fans would dwarf the NBA viewers/fans by a few times over.

Just saying...

Obviously. Worldwide they only have soccer growing up. That's a whole different story. I wasn't saying soccer is a joke or anything but saying the NBA is a joke because of flopping is just silly. It happens in college too. It's not just the NBA.... And it became more prevalent once more European players started coming into the league... And then it has just gone out of control because coaches are teaching it to the players because if they dont they think they are at a disadvantage.

Soccer is never going to take off in America. Americans like scoring. That's what gets us going. We aren't interested in the strategy of the game or what happens in between the lines. Same thing goes for hockey.... The majority of people watching the Stanley cup finals on TV barely know the rules. Me included...

And another major reason the NHL struggles to become popular is that there really is no face time for hockey players. It's very limited and hockey players don't do very many advertisements. It's tough for people to get familiar with players if they don't know what they look like. The language barrier doesn't help either... I could go on and on

avg of 5.6 million people watched the stanley cup final games

the nba finals brings forth 5 times as many viewers

just saying...
Thats is irrelvelant...we are talking about how bad the NBA game is as a whole not who its audience is.

Obviously. Worldwide they only have soccer growing up. That's a whole different story. I wasn't saying soccer is a joke or anything but saying the NBA is a joke because of flopping is just silly. It happens in college too. It's not just the NBA.... And it became more prevalent once more European players started coming into the league... And then it has just gone out of control because coaches are teaching it to the players because if they dont they think they are at a disadvantage.

Soccer is never going to take off in America. Americans like scoring. That's what gets us going. We aren't interested in the strategy of the game or what happens in between the lines. Same thing goes for hockey.... The majority of people watching the Stanley cup finals on TV barely know the rules. Me included...

And another major reason the NHL struggles to become popular is that there really is no face time for hockey players. It's very limited and hockey players don't do very many advertisements. It's tough for people to get familiar with players if they don't know what they look like. The language barrier doesn't help either... I could go on and on

The reason the NHL struggles is because it's best suited for cold weather cities that actually experience winter. It isn't played in the Southern states, and it's so hard to keep the ice at optimum conditions in those areas. Hockey is, and always will be a "niche" sport. Comparing the NBA to the NHL makes no sense. Good for the NBA, their ratings beat out the niche sport.

You also focused on 1 of the many, many reasons that were given. Of course some of the reasons are going to occur in other sports, and some may even seem trivial. You are getting actual reasons from people who don't really like the NBA though...talk about a good focus group.

I always find it funny when soccer gets dissed for little or no scoring when in the NFL, you get 6 pts for a 'goal' essentially. There is literally a 30-40 second break in between a 3 second play, and you get 6 points for a goal but there is so much more 'action.' I like the NFL don't take my words to mean that I don't, I just always hated the "scoring and action" comparison of the NFL to other sports.

why would ratings remotely be relevant to this discussion?

entertainment value?

I think he's trying to say that the NBA doesn't suck because that many people are watching it. I don't agree with that at all, and there really aren't that many people watching the NBA to begin with. Of course, when you compare the US ratings vs hockey it's going to look a whole lot better.

funny you say that lareux, basketball is the only sport that success is expected at close to or over 50% of the time, and why it's so top heavy

Of all the reasons the NHL "struggles" in America, this barely scratches the surface.

Also, soccer will always be behind all major American sports because simply put 1) politics 2) The best American athletes are steered towards other major sports during the crucial development phases. I can hardly think of any American USMNT player who would rank in the top 400-500 of male athletes in American.

I'm sure it's been brought up before, but the worst thing that ever happened to the NHL was divorcing from ESPN. The playoffs are SO much better than the NBA playoffs, a little more exposure would go a long way.

I'm sure it's been brought up before, but the worst thing that ever happened to the NHL was divorcing from ESPN. The playoffs are SO much better than the NBA playoffs, a little more exposure would go a long way.

Was just going to bring that up. That is a major factor, especially nowadays with most sheeple only watching ESPN and the garbage they spew on a regular basis (outside of live sporting events of course).

The NHL is happy with its niche market though. The league doesn't seem like it wants to do anything about it. You guys might not think it's that big of a deal but if your leagues playoffs aren't on a major network I think it's quite telling.

And I believe face time makes a huge difference. Fans knowing what a player looks like is kind of vital. Football has the same issue but football players have so many more sponsorships, etc. To me playoff hockey is very very exciting. But there's no way in hell you can convince me that regular season NHL is better than regular season NBA. None. And I'm trying to be as impartial as possible.

You see, I think regular season NBA is pretty unwatchable. Especially early in the season when football's going on.

I'm not comparing the two sports, but there are plenty of sports fans who don't pay much attention to basketball until football's over. And that's just because they can't find the hockey game.

I don't think the regular seasons of hockey, basketball, or baseball are interesting at all.

All are interesting come playoff time

Baseball regular season interests me. Change my handle to mlbfan88.

God, I do wish I were born in '88. Although, then I wouldn't remember a decent NBA Finals.

I think they're both more niche than you think (hoops and hockey). I have no way to prove it, but I bet you a NHL team in Cleveland would draw better than the Cavs. I know I'd prefer it.

His name's been coming up. I keep reading that they're fucked because everyone's draft board is different, no clear-cut, consensus top 5 ... If they keep the top pick, I don't want Nerlens Noel and I do want the Maryland guy Len, but what do I know.

I think you can't go wrong with either, imagine how much they will grow with Mike Brown coaching them

The NHL is happy with its niche market though. The league doesn't seem like it wants to do anything about it. You guys might not think it's that big of a deal but if your leagues playoffs aren't on a major network I think it's quite telling.

And I believe face time makes a huge difference. Fans knowing what a player looks like is kind of vital. Football has the same issue but football players have so many more sponsorships, etc. To me playoff hockey is very very exciting. But there's no way in hell you can convince me that regular season NHL is better than regular season NBA. None. And I'm trying to be as impartial as possible.

The playoffs are on NBC and CBC (which is the biggest network in Canada). They are happy with their niche market, and seemingly do quite well for themselves.

I'm not sure what you mean that they don't seem like they want to do anything about it though. There are franchises in North Carolina, Texas, Arizona, California, Tennessee, etc. They are trying to expand their game, but when kids don't really play the sport in that area it doesn't exactly "catch on." IMO the NHL would be much better off just moving all franchises to Canadian and US cities that border Canada (or close enough, like Columbus, OH and the like).

Well I was comparing the NBA vs hockey. Obviously football trumps everything.

Of course you were comparing it to hockey. It's pretty much the only other sport you could have chosen to which the NBA would be superior in any way.

plenty of kids play here in az as most athletes and their families have migrated this way, just takes a generation to process that

this city is canadian/chicago/detroit etc transplants, amateur hockey is pretty big

plenty of kids play here in az as most athletes and their families have migrated this way, just takes a generation to process that

this city is canadian/chicago/detroit etc transplants, amateur hockey is pretty big

Good to hear. The sad irony is that the Coyotes may be leaving AZ in the not-too-distant future.

Quebec should get a franchise back, and Toronto can easily support 2 teams. It seems the Coyotes could move to Seattle, but they won't have an NHL ready facility until 2014.

Back