Cutler to be traded.

In order to win in this league you have to have stability at QB position imo. Cutler gives the Bears this for the first time since the first depression. You can say they overpaid but my thinking is Cutler > Orton the draft picks who knows what will happen. Chicago brass does much better with late picks in drafts.

Well, that's the question. They overpaid, but 'to them' was it worth it? It may have been simply because they have been so unstable for so long.

But I can tell you, after watching the Browns do it, you miss those first round picks. So you better be right if you're going to give 'em up.

Not only that, after the Bears' offseason so far, exactly how are they going to block for this guy?

Lets also not lose sight how many times Ortons weak ass arm could not hit Hester on the fly deep. I am sure Cutler will not have nearly as much of an issue with those home run plays.

Orton will be good in a controlled short passing game once he starts having to throw deep good luck and just pray for pass interference calls on the defense.

Lets also not lose sight how many times Ortons weak ass arm could not hit Hester on the fly deep.

We call that Brian Griese Syndrome.

In order to win in this league you have to have stability at QB position imo. Cutler gives the Bears this for the first time since the first depression. You can say they overpaid but my thinking is Cutler > Orton the draft picks who knows what will happen. Chicago brass does much better with late picks in drafts.

Well, that's the question. They overpaid, but 'to them' was it worth it? It may have been simply because they have been so unstable for so long.

But I can tell you, after watching the Browns do it, you miss those first round picks. So you better be right if you're going to give 'em up.

Not only that, after the Bears' offseason so far, exactly how are they going to block for this guy?

Last years 1st round pick will move into the slot left open by St Clair (who your Brownies grabbed in free agent - still leaves me bitter) and there were rumors of Pace potentially signing on as FA which will help with next year. Their line was not exactly bad last year and they added lineman from Carolina in Free agency earlier this year. I think they will be ok, I am more worried about the defense to be honest with you.

By the way, according to ESPN, Smoke's a little off.

The deal is:

To Denver:
Orton
1st round - 2009
1st round - 2010
3rd round - 2009

To Chicago:
Jay Cutler
5th round - 2009

Ah, but you lost St. Clair and John Tait (retirement).

This is what worries me about giving up that 1st round pick this year, in a draft deep at OL.

I can, however, see why you'd be worried about the defense, too.

Comment Email Print Share<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> var stobj = SHARETHIS.addEntry({ title:"Sources:%20Ex-Rams%20OT%20Pace%20to%20sign%20with%20Bears", url:"http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4037565", published: "2009-04-02" }); stobj.attachButton(document.getElementById("espnstlink")); </SCRIPT>
<CITE class=source>ESPN.com news services
</CITE>
<!-- end mod-article-title --><!-- begin story body -->On the same day the Chicago Bears added a new quarterback, they got someone to protect him.
The Bears have agreed to terms with Orlando Pace, a source tells ESPN's Michael Smith. Terms of the deal are not available.

thats the word on the streeeet

ESPN's Michael Smith reports the Bears have agreed to terms with OT Orlando Pace.
A busy day at Bears headquarters, as they now have added protection for their new franchise quarterback. Pace is slated to start at left tackle, with Chris Williams moving to right tackle and Kevin Shaffer now a swingman. Apr. 2 - 6:09 pm et

Can't believe that the Broncos got so much back in all honesty...teams knew they had to get rid of him...much higher bidding than we should have seen...win for both teams imo though...Its about playoffs and division titles and Super Bowls....Bears are much closer now....

This realistically changes nothing in the NFC north, the Bears defense isnt what it used to be they are middle of the pack at best.

I think that division comes down to Green Bay and Minnesota next year.

Denver is the winner here, and I'm a Cutler fan... sort of

Dunno how you can make the claim right now without knowing who the Broncos are getting with those draft picks. Cutler is young, has been a starter in this league & somewhat proven. Those draft picks are all about potential and at this point Cutler gives the Bears much more in that dept.

This realistically changes nothing in the NFC north, the Bears defense isnt what it used to be they are middle of the pack at best.

I think that division comes down to Green Bay and Minnesota next year.

If the bears defense returns to tackling and actually getting to qb's Chicago should be able to win that division rather easily, last year with as pathetic as their defense was they still had a chance to win the divison in week 17. Minny will have a much harder schedule this year and another turnover proven qb in sage.

This really pushes Chicago to get it right with their second pick in the draft. Either that or find some gems late. Or, preferably, both, if you're a Bears fan.

This really pushes Chicago to get it right with their second pick in the draft. Either that or find some gems late. Or, preferably, both, if you're a Bears fan.

In recent drafts thats where Angelo and company actually do well. Their 1st round picks bomb but they make up for it in later rounds. I will need to dig up their recent drafts and analyze this.

The Bears TEs are head and shoulders above Denver same with the running game gimme a break. Denver was down to 8th string with RB last year. I will take my chances with Cutler at the position. Look at Orton after he was hurt he had qb ratings of under 60 most of the way. I said they need a WR now and their offense will be plenty good.

Their defense is going to need to play better to make them a complete team.

i could run in denvers offense. cmon man that thing has been RB central no matter whos carrying the ball

i could run in denvers offense. cmon man that thing has been RB central no matter whos carrying the ball

But that now goes away. At least, that coaching does. Their line stays pretty solid, but that system now changes with the coaching staff.

i just don't see how chi fans can be happy about this.. two 1st rounders and a 3rd and orton for cutler? chicagos window is closing not opening... if this happened 3 years ago then yea go for it but correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a lot of that defense aging? like has been said cutler will have no one to throw to and will sink back down well under 4,000 yards passing and under 20 TDs for sure.

But that now goes away. At least, that coaching does. Their line stays pretty solid, but that system now changes with the coaching staff.

yea i'm just saying the fact cutler put up #s with a 7th string running back is a lot less relevant than if it were in any other system.

I think a lot of that had to do with coaching & schemes which was executed well, your correct in that.

However Cutler will have a much better running back in Forte then he had in Denver along with better TE's. The one thing he will sorely miss is Brandon Marshall other then that everything else is pretty much the same or slightly better then denver had.

I think it was a tremendous upgrade for the Bears. They lose 2 1st rounders, which will open up cap money to get free agents. I can't see how anyone could disagree with the Bears move.

They were 9-7 with an average, at best, QB. This will make them a playoff team next year. Not saying anything more than that, but getting that big off a step up at the most important position in football is big deal.

yea i'm just saying the fact cutler put up #s with a 7th string running back is a lot less relevant than if it were in any other system.

Good point.

And don't forget that the AFC West was a nightmare last year so putting up the numbers he did probably shouldn't have really blown anybody away given their schedule.

i just don't see how chi fans can be happy about this.. two 1st rounders and a 3rd and orton for cutler? chicagos window is closing not opening... if this happened 3 years ago then yea go for it but correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a lot of that defense aging? like has been said cutler will have no one to throw to and will sink back down well under 4,000 yards passing and under 20 TDs for sure.

This years bear team will only go as good as their defense plays. Babich is a complete tool and should have been fired not only demoted, Lovie is taking back over the defense play calls who knows how well that will work. Personally I hate the cover 2 but Lovie does know it well so maybe that makes a difference, if defense plays good they will be fine. Offense should be able to put up points they did a decent job of that last year.

Whoever brought up YAC i don't understand the issue. We had Kyle Orton and teh Yac's are almost identical comparing top 5 pass catchers from LY.

hester 4.2, marshall 4.2
olsen 5, royal 3.9
forte 7, scheffler 5.2
davis 4.4, stokley 3.4
clark 3.9, graham 6.3

this is a 25 year old pro bowl qb i don't think we gave up too much or too little. all you teams needing a qb good luck seaching for the next matt ryan. I'll taken proven over lawn darts and scouting anytime.

Whoever brought up YAC i don't understand the issue. We had Kyle Orton and teh Yac's are almost identical comparing top 5 pass catchers from LY.

hester 4.2, marshall 4.2
olsen 5, royal 3.9
forte 7, scheffler 5.2
davis 4.4, stokley 3.4
clark 3.9, graham 6.3

this is a 25 year old pro bowl qb i don't think we gave up too much or too little. all you teams needing a qb good luck seaching for the next matt ryan. I'll taken proven over lawn darts and scouting anytime.

Hester top-15 fantasy wr?

hester 4.2, marshall 4.2
olsen 5, royal 3.9
forte 7, scheffler 5.2
davis 4.4, stokley 3.4
clark 3.9, graham 6.3

Absolutely. I am jealous that this guy will be in division for long time to come and the fact we didn't get him.

I'm gonna be more interested in Olsen and Clark then Hester for fantasy purposes.

This is taken from Football Outsiders. They take nfl stats and standardize them. Some cool stuff they have over there. Anyhow the quote..."Chicago had to give up a ton of draft value to get him, but it is possible that Jay Cutler is the most valuable young talent ever traded after already establishing himself as a Pro Bowl-quality player. The quarterbacks listed in his similarity scores are a collection of Hall of Famers and near-Hall of Famers."

Thank the football lord that this franchise finally figured out the game of football is about the qb.

Got rb solved last draft and qb this summer. Need to draft a possession wr in R2 and we good.

Dude gave up on his team, sure he is a good QB but do you really want to take that risk with a prima donna and mortage your future for him?

Think Bears have cap money? wait till they restructure Cutler's contract then they will be reduced to shit.

Lions couldn't afford to give up that much for him, and I'm glad they didn't..see ya in Detroit Stafford.

Also remember that the first time someone drops a pass on Cutler he is going to go off on them, the kid has just been coddled by his parents and has serious attitude and emotional problems.

Cutler is soft

dude is so overrated.

He does have a cannon but I think Shannarats system made him better then what he really is.

Bears got burned but Cutler is better than anything the Bears have had at QB.

As a Raider fan im pissed yet im kind of happy.

Im pissed cuz The Raiders defense usally handles Cutler (As long as D.Hall isnt playing) The key with Cutler is hit him hard and early and he will be shit the rest of the game. He will throw early and throw alot of picks forcing shit.

Im happy cuz now the Broncos have to have a complete rebuild now.

Players that were traded for two 1st round picks

Keyshawn Johnson

Ricky Williams

Joey Galloway

Jay Cutler

per mike &mike

Back