College Football is Ass Backwards

I have no problem with humans having the decision ability as to what the criteria is. I just want that all spelled out into objective rules before the season starts.

That's it. Just give them the criteria before it starts instead of making it up as they go along.

Humans can make up the criteria but that criteria has to be objectively obtainable. Otherwise it is not really a sport.

I find it extra objectionable to be worried about second place teams from conferences where you have the actual opportunity to play for a title when there are so many teams from conferences eliminated before the first kickoff of the season is done.

Cry me a river, babies.

No committee needed if just conf champs play the playoff.

so you would be okay that 10-3 utah was conf champ and would have gone to a 4 team playoff? and purdue could have had a good day and MI a really bad day and Purdue at 9-4 was in any kind of playoff?

so you would be okay that 10-3 utah was conf champ and would have gone to a 4 team playoff? and purdue could have had a good day and MI a really bad day and Purdue at 9-4 was in any kind of playoff?
I'd be ok with that...no different than any other sport where a team has a bad day in whatever bracket they're in

Mind you I'll forever be for split titles

Less games makes this sport sooooooo much better

Of course I would. They were champions and USC and Michigan failed in that example. USC and Michigan both had the opportunity to win those games and didn't, in that example.

Maybe, but again with only 4 spots and more than 5 conferences (even "power" conferences), the issue is how you can have less spots than you do conferences. It makes no sense and hasn't since they adopted it.

Only in CFB does it matter who would be favored rather than who won their division/conference, and even then it doesn't matter because TCU is in and Vols, Utah, Penn State, and Texas are not .. all of which would be favored over TCU on a neutral today. Kstate might too. USC might too. Clemson?

It's all subjective bullshit this way and it doesn't work.

how do you do anything without a committee when it comes to CFB and CBB?

even the NCAA Tourney 68 teams, has a committee deciding things.

6 "power" conferences with 11 teams each (or 10 if they want to trim the Power 5 by 5 teams as there are currently 65). Each team plays every other team for the 10 game schedule (or 9 if it's 10 teams in each). Each of the 6 division winners make the playoff. No need for a conference championship, no human input, no computer input, just play the games and the 6 winners meet in the playoff.

And that is to say that Purdue would be more deserving than Michigan, and Utah IS more deserving than USC.

6 "power" conferences with 11 teams each (or 10 if they want to trim the Power 5 by 5 teams as there are currently 65). Each team plays every other team for the 10 game schedule. Each of the 6 division winners make the playoff.
I am more inclusive.

8 conferences of 16 teams or so. champs advance rest failed and go home.

Early season games for OOC rivalry games while you prepare for the conference season
7 games against your 7 division opponents (tiebreakers clearly defined)
1 conference championship game
4v4
2v2
Championship

Meanwhile the teams that don't advance to the playoffs can be in bowl games.

All teams start with an objective chance that is then decided in the field of play (sports).

No team has a legitimate excuse, or a legitimate claim to being the champion (unless Donaghy refs).

UTAH is more deserving than both TCU and Ohio State to be in the playoff and they certainly are not that far off from Ohio State in power rating and certainly HIGHER than TCU (aka the better team no?).

You cannot use the argument that conference champs are undeserving, and the point is to have the 4 best teams, and then have the 11th best team (TCU) in the playoff can you?

Well, I think there should be as many spots as there are conf champs but yes. You win the conf champ that says you the best in the conf. Doesn’t really matter whether we agree, it’s always seemed very simple to me. You s conf champ you should have the right to represent that conf to see who the national champ is, Michigan or whomever could easily have a off day and lose to #12 in the upcoming format and they be out. Why manufacture a playoff when the conf championship games should be the de facto 1st round of the playoffs? Imo this be best way to keep the regular season and games being played on the field meaningful. Win conf champ you get a spot in playoff, if you fail to win the conf then how can you be best team in the country?? Like every other sport the best team doesn’t always win, won’t be any different w 12 team playoff.

• Love
Reactions: KJ

Going by this years model where conf champs get left out id say Purdue woulda been left out and it woulda Uga, Utah, kst, clemson. Do I think that a better 4? No I don’t but I want deserving as in the teams who win their conf to play for the natty. I’ll always have a problem if you telling me a team who couldn’t win their own 12 or whatever team conf can somehow be the national champs when they not champs of their region, makes no sense to me. We devalue the results and instead put who we “think” are best. I don’t like that. That supposed to be why they play the games.

but luckily for anyone who disagrees w me you get your way cause ncaa has no interest in fairness, doing things right, and def not what I think! Lol

Doesn’t really matter whether we agree

I like finding agreement and strive to find some with even those I disagree with. And I think that both jedi nija and Retro VK are compelling enough that I could support both their positions.

The problem is always going to be what we want is not going to happen. I think we all must have a system that we want and promote and defend ... to which I am not satisfied the original poster has done that.

What we get is what they give us and the ncaa can not do what they might want to do, in the FBS it is all what the conferences and their media partners want to do, what benefits them.

I like a 4 team, I've been shown the virtue of a 6 team. I can like an 8 team. Hell ... I'm not that far off from just going back to a 2 team!

We can't fight it, we can't stop it.

What I try to do and what I see other people in this thread doing is just presenting another alternatives and I like the examples I like the arguments. What I have not seen is any evidence that a 12 team playoff is what is best for respecting wins and losses in the outcomes of games. What is wrong with having a team earn their spot without a human picking them. Sure humans can make the rules, that is fine, but then get out of the way and let the teams decide it upon the rules in which you told them they must play by. The alternatives I am reading are way better than what we are going to end up with in 2024. We either take it or leave it. That is what it comes down to. The are going to put something out there and we will either have to accept it by watching and engaging or reject it by doing something else with our time. I'm fully ready to leave it at that point, but I will still try and inform others that it's not right way to go about it in my opinion and why ... until I truly don't care anymore at which point it must've all been ruined.

I like finding agreement and strive to find some with even those I disagree with. And I think that both jedi nija and Retro VK are compelling enough that I could support both their positions.

The problem is always going to be what we want is not going to happen. I think we all must have a system that we want and promote and defend ... to which I am not satisfied the original poster has done that.

What we get is what they give us and the ncaa can not do what they might want to do, in the FBS it is all what the conferences and their media partners want to do, what benefits them.

I like a 4 team, I've been shown the virtue of a 6 team. I can like an 8 team. Hell ... I'm not that far off from just going back to a 2 team!

We can't fight it, we can't stop it.

What I try to do and what I see other people in this thread doing is just presenting another alternatives and I like the examples I like the arguments. What I have not seen is any evidence that a 12 team playoff is what is best for respecting wins and losses in the outcomes of games. What is wrong with having a team earn their spot without a human picking them. Sure humans can make the rules, that is fine, but then get out of the way and let the teams decide it upon the rules in which you told them they must play by. The alternatives I am reading are way better than what we are going to end up with in 2024. We either take it or leave it. That is what it comes down to. The are going to put something out there and we will either have to accept it by watching and engaging or reject it by doing something else with our time. I'm fully ready to leave it at that point, but I will still try and inform others that it's not right way to go about it in my opinion and why ... until I truly don't care anymore at which point it must've all been ruined.

I don’t disagree w either @jedi ninja or @RetroVK ideas. We all seem to agree the best way to do this would be conf champs playing in playoffs. Of course the problem there is the conferences are rapidly changing/going crazy adding teams to the point there won’t be a legit way to even determine a champ of some these mega conferences.

I’m incredibly hopefully ncaa can’t do what nfl has somehow managed to do which is turn me into a far less interested participant. There was a time when I had Sunday ticket every year, multiple tv’s set up, and never did anything else on Sunday, then spent several days rest the week breaking down the next weeks matchups. Now I’m not sure why I even have red zone as I almost never sit around watching nfl on Sunday’s more than in passing at the most.

I think I love football too much for this to happen to my Saturdays, while I don’t like this new playoff setup it should lead to some good games at the end that keep my interest, my fear is it takes way to much away from the regular season, I don’t like that conference championships are seemingly becoming “meaningless”, of course the way it looking we gonna have conferences so big there won’t be a fair way to even determine a conf champ as no team will play the same conf slate. Clearly there not gonna be much regional feel to the conferences with freaking west coast teams moving to the big10. I have no idea what this all gonna look like in 5-10 years, I just know one the best things about college fb it had going over every other sport was the importance of the regular season and most every game having meaning. When we start getting great matchups that all a sudden have far lower stakes im not sure how I will feel about it, When bama plays auburn at the end the year and both teams securely in the top 12 will the players treat it the same? When 4-5 sec teams are in top 12 will they care about winning the sec? I’d love to see what @RetroVK said and every conf champ have a spot, that would go a long way for me but I fear it gonna be more like the sec/big10 invitational w a ton of those teams filling out the 12 while everyone else begs for 1 their teams to be picked and that team doesn’t necessarily even have to be the conf champ if another team is deemed better!! I just don’t like we moving in the same direction as college hoops where the tourney all that matters.

i think there is a very low chance that the 12 team playoff does not water down the importance of the reg season games and the rivalry matchups, and some of the great bowl games especially The Rose Bowl will never be the same.

however, with NIL and the transfer portal, CFB is turning into "NFL Light" so it is time for this to happen.

one last year of the CFP at 4 teams and then for 2024 we get the 12.

i hope the rivalry games get played early or middle in the season because if they are played in say game 11 or 12, there will be a likelihood that a team heading to the playoff will sit players out ala the NFL.

how many of you thought about that one?

peace out. be well.

We are witnessing the beginning, of the end folks .............. :shocked:

Grown ass men bickering like old women over a casserole recipe.

You have the opportunity to simply play each other - but somehow we arrive at the conclusion - forget that shit - let's VOTE instead haha

The more we see the Opt outs and coaches not only bailing but now on the opposing Bowl team as a school administrator becomes the interim,
This time of year used to be a celebration of Bowls. Now its like wtf are we watching?

How Ass Backwards is college football?

The more we see the Opt outs and coaches not only bailing but now on the opposing Bowl team as a school administrator becomes the interim,
This time of year used to be a celebration of Bowls. Now its like wtf are we watching?

How Ass Backwards is college football?
You are correct.

We don't have to worry about the playoff ruining the bowl season or special bowls like the Rose Bowl being ruined because the transfer portal and opt outs have already done that.

With that said, it might still happen.

Offer me millions of dollars or have me play in a rose bowl ..... the choice is easy.

Paying the players ruined college football just like anyone with half a brain knew it would. It has just ruined it far worse than we could have ever imagined.

You are correct.

We don't have to worry about the playoff ruining the bowl season or special bowls like the Rose Bowl being ruined because the transfer portal and opt outs have already done that.

With that said, it might still happen.

Offer me millions of dollars or have me play in a rose bowl ..... the choice is easy.

Paying the players ruined college football just like anyone with half a brain knew it would. It has just ruined it far worse than we could have ever imagined.
When will be when we see players opting out during the season once they’re established as a high draft pick?

Back