Coastal Carolina at Delaware State.... Saturday 1-AA Action

hoopsstar22

Captain of Vanzack's yacht
Gentlemen, I won’t make posting a habit, and clutter this forum with nonsense, but I did find a game that I really like and wanted to share. I decided to post it here because I believe there is genuinely more discussion here than elsewhere, and that’s what I’m looking for. I’d rather have 4 replies of intelligent discussion than 100 pictures. I don’t want to receive a bunch of Clovers and Beer emoticons from those trying to gain green bars and post #’s. I accept the fact that this is not a huge game, and probably 90% of you guys don’t know jack shit about either team, and that’s OK. I just wanted to share my view on a game that I think provides an opportunity, and perhaps solidify my decision. So here it goes…..

Coastal Carolina Chanticleers @ Delaware State Hornets -3.5 -115 (5Dimes)
<o></o>
As a Coastal Alum, I’m always reading the newspaper, killing time at the office and keeping up with the mighty Chanticleers. This program has done an absolutely amazing job of building a quality 1-AA program, from scratch none the less, in just 4 short seasons. But that’s the present problem. The original crop of players are gone, and it’s time to rebuild.
<o></o>
Coastal is entering the program’s 5<sup>th</sup> season of existence. They graduated 36 players from last season’s team, including 31 letter winners, 12 Big South All-Conference selections, 9 first teamers, and the Big South Player of the Year, All-American, and Minnesota Viking draft pick, QB Tyler Thigpen.
<o></o>
The Chants return 3 starters on offense and 5 on defense. As of Wednesday 8/29, there was still no word on who would replace Thigpen at QB. They opened camp with 5 hopefuls, but have narrowed it down to 2. It has been narrowed down to two, McKinnon and Richardson. McKinnion backed up Thigpen in his first 2 seasons at Coastal, but switched over to WR and KR last season, never taking a snap. <st1><st1:city w:st="on">Richardson</st1:city></st1> assumed the backup role last season, attempting a whopping 8 throws, in garbage time, completing 5.
<o></o>
The O-line suffered some huge losses, graduating 4 starters, including 2 Big South 1<sup>st</sup> teamers, and also a few backups. They do return a 2 year starter at LT, but the other 4 include 3 R-Soph’s, and a R-Frosh, with only 2 sniffing grass last season. I don't expect much chemistry this early in the season for them, and experienced some fatigue problems in the recent pre- season scrimmages.

<o></o>
They do return the #2 rated 1-AA and BS Pre-Season POY WR in Simpson, but they need to have someone who can throw him the ball to be effective. Simpson is an amazing athlete, witnessed him drive the lane in intramural hoops and dunk on my 6-3” teammate exactly like Vince Carter did in the Olympics, nutts to the chin style, but I think Hornets’ MEAC All 1<sup>st</sup> Team Pre-Season Corner Akeem Green will be able to neutralize him, with the pending QB and OL problems looming.
<o></o>
Now for Del State.
<o></o>
The Hornets return 8 on offense and 7 on defense from an 8-3 team last season. Most importantly, they are returning players at key positions. The Hornets have the MEAC Pre-Season POY, WR Shaheer McBride back, as well as 2 year starter and 2005 MEAC ROY Vashon Winton at QB. The Hornets also are touting a <st1:city w:st="on"><st1>Syracuse</st1></st1:city> transfer at tailback, Kareem Jones. He was primarily used as a KR for the <st1>Orange<st1:city w:st="on"></st1:city></st1>, ranking 4<sup>th</sup> in the BE in return average, so he has some speed, but he did have a very impressive HS career, not that it amounts to much here. He's put up some solid numbers in their scrimmages, and the coaching staff is very high on him.
<o></o>
The D has 3 preseason 1<sup>st</sup> Teamers, and a new Coordinator former Howard Head coach and “top MEAC defensive strategist” Ray Petty. Let's see if they can take advantage of the youth and inexperience on the other side of the ball.

<o></o>
Coastal also took a huge hit on special teams this season. 4 year starter, 3 time BS 1<sup>st</sup> teamer, <st1:street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">2006 ESPN Academic-All American PK</st1:address></st1:street>, who made a great speech at graduation might I add, Josh Hoke. He was Coastal’s original PK, from opening kickoff throughout, and now is replaced by a R-frosh. He did kick pretty well in the scrimmages, but will he be able to handle the game time pressure, and a Hornet special teams who blocked 7 kicks last season? Time will tell. Also, the Chants lost a BS 1<sup>st</sup> team Long Snapper, replaced by a R-frosh.
<o></o>
<o></o>
I look for the Delaware State Hornets win by double figures simply because of Coastal’s inexperience and youth on the offensive side of the ball.

Any discussion is more than welcome, and I look forward to having a profitable season along with all the members here at CTG.

GL Fellas.

VERY informative post. I am not going to lie , I knew next to nothing about these two teams prior to reading your post. would you mind telling me the name of your newspaper that follows this squad ? I am desperately trying to become more informed on 1-AA action but am finding objective information hard to come by ( got the phil steele pac 10 edition as lindetrain told me there was good 1-aa info in it. thanks lind). Your thinking process looks pretty good to me and I am going to look into this game now as a possible bet( 1/20 of a unit if i do as i have to prove i can win before committing). if all of your posts are like this one , then please please please clutter us with them.

That was a great writeup hoops. Very good knowledge in there. I dont think they offer these games at bookmaker otherwise i would most likely tail on you on this one. Please keep the posts coming.

I do most of my reading in the Myrtle Beach Herald. Its a small paper, and one guy seems to write 90% of the sports articles. But he doesn't seem to sugar coat much. One headline on the second page read "Chants offense struggles in first team scrimmage" in about size 48 font, bigger than the headline story on the first page.

However, Coastal's athletic website and media guide are absolutely amazing for a 1-AA program. They are D-I in every other sport, but they have such a football following around here it's rediculous. Feel free to check out coastal.edu. They also had a pretty indepth analysis on Del State, but the press release didn't say much about the upcoming game, and basically beat 2005's 24-6 victory to death like a dead horse.

I completely missed the injury report for the Chants. Starting left corner Antonio Bellmy is probable, but has a toe problem, not too big of a deal. Backup TE Collins is questionable, and starting Safety Davenport is doubtful.

Vegas-

Did you look into the game any closer?

Let's get it Rex.

I just think that no one knows enough about either team, and the line presents great value, if a 1-AA game can garner the term.The QB uncertainty coupled with the youth in the O-line I think will be just too much.

Also, the Chants are ranked #19 in 1-AA, and I think that's pretty bogus. It stems only from teh fact they've won/shared 3 straight Big South titles. They were slow out of the gate last season, starting 1-2, and that was with a "loaded" team, and a QB in his 4th season running the same system.

Also, another interesting tidbit, Alumni Stadium at Del State is artificial turf. Coastal is only 2-3 all time on turf.

Could be a tough situation for them playing on an unfamiliar surface on opening day, when they've been playing on the soft grass at Hooters Stadium all summer long.

:4_12_13:

Hoopsstar, if this is your usual sort of thread, then PLEASE clutter up the forum with more of em.

Great addition, bro...

:cheers:

sorry hoop, ran out of time. i did not get to investigate this further.

i will definitely be cheering for you !

about all the research i did was learning that the coastal carolina mascot is a rooster desguised by a fancy name.

what books are booking d1aa this year ?

no study for me , means no test taking for me so i will have to wait for next week. i should be more prepared to talk d1aa at that time... just so wrapped up in d1 lately.

go hornets , go hoopsta !

23-18 Delaware State Hornets

A 13 point 4th quarter comeback wasn't enough for the Chants to cover the number. The game was surprisingly closer than I had anticipated, but a win is a win.

Congrats to who were able to catch this before the line crawled up and over 5, as I saw it at -6.5 around 3PM. Could have gone off the board even higher.

I'll keep reading the papers, and see if I can find another edge with the hometown team.

GL fellas.

money;

humbug, i didnt bet it. congrats hoopsta !!! look forward to talking some d1aa ( or whatever they call it) next week. i didnt cap today's games well though and i spent endless hours on this shit.

Back