Cleveland Chase

BetCrimes1984

CTG Big Brother
[I'll edit in the stats later, but Cleveland's current run is has a couple of aspects to it which indicate their continued managing of such feats is statistically negligible].

Cleveland's current (& now with the Toronto result in the books) 9 game ATS cover streak is, on it's most basic level, nothing too much out of the extraordinary. Sure teams don't put up such ATS streaks every other month, but it's not like they're as rare as hens teeth: last season alone saw 4 ATS streaks of 9, 10, 12 & 13 games in length registered. Starting a chase to see in the end of Cleveland's streak simply on the basis of their having successfully covered 8 straight before playing Toronto would not, in a historically statistical context, be a solid move.

But Cleveland's ATS streak is a little more unusual than most sizable ones, from 2 angles -

Domination by the Favourite
This angle has a couple of aspects to it.

Firstly, Cleveland has covered every game in their current streak as a Favourite. In recent seasons I see a number of teams who covered 9 & 10 consecutive games as a Favourite - importantly thou, most not consecutively played. The team concerned being made a Dog for a game or 2 inbetween the games they were a Fav, and more often than not losing that game ATS thereby getting a letdown effort out of the way when such an effort didn't interfere with their Fav ATS run in play. In other words, it's hard enough managing such a feat while "catching the break" of being made a Dog a time or 2, let alone doing it in an unbroken manner. Very rare is the double-digit sequence ATS run without the team concerned putting up some ATS covers within it as a Dog. To go back to the streaks I mentioned from last season above, the 13 game run incl. 7 Dog covers, the 12 game run incl. 2 Dog covers, the 10 game run incl. 1 Dog cover, and the 9 game run incl. 2 Dog covers.
It's plain to see looking at Cleveland's coming schedule that they're not about to be made a Dog anytime soon, meaning this streak of their's will be breaking some hefty statistical barriers if it's maintained even a short while longer.

Secondly, Cleveland's last 13 games have all been covered by the Favourite. Prior to their current 9 game streak, they lost to Detroit ATS when they were a Dog, and prior to that contest had a successful 3 game ATS run as a Fav. The longest run of Fav ATS results I have in my records from recent seasons is 13 games, something the Cavs just matched with their result over Toronto.
Beyond this stat fact, is the reality that only Denver (Fav 15-6 ATS) comes close to having had the Favourite dominate their games ATS to such a degree as in Cleveland has (Fav 17-4 ATS) this season (yep, if you blindly played the Fav in every one of these 2 teams games, you'd sport a 32-10 record thus far in the 08-09 season). The 2 teams performing at a similar SU level as Cleveland - Boston (Fav 10-12 ATS) & LA (Fav 11-8 ATS) - have had the Fav do nowhere near as well. From that comes the observation, the linesmakers have got their handle on those 2 public darling teams, how much longer do you think they're going to allow Cleveland to roam free (now this present run of theirs is reminding everyone they went to the Finals 2 seasons back, a season in which, btw, they put up a 10 game ATS win streak which was followed by a 3-8-1 ATS run)?

Excessive nature of winning margins
I learnt early on that the critical split for NBA margins is 1-8 points, and 9+ points. Since the 02-03 season, the following is the break down for teams streaks of winning games SU by 9+ point margins...

5 games ....... 24 times
6 games ........ 8 times
7 games ........ 2 times
8 games ........ 1 time
9 games ........ 2 times*
10 games ...... 1 time​

* - inlcudes Cleveland's current live streak.

One can immediately see that again Cleveland has entered rarified air by managing what they have to this point with their current 9 game SU win streak.
The relevance this has to any chase consideration is they're not about to be much less of a Fav than 6-8 points for the game in Philly (a team destroyed in their last 3 home games by 9+ pt margins vs Chicago, LA & New Jersey: given Cleveland's form, why couldn't they be perceived to do any less? however, it must be observed Philly did this line no favours by beating Detroit, but at least Washington did the same to make such a feat seem not really such a big deal), meaning a cover in that game will in all likelihood require from them yet another 9+ points margin win, and then a rematch in Cleveland with a line approaching 11-13 pts in that fixture will require another such margin win for a successful ATS result.
Then they go to Atlanta for a 4th in 5 which, if it included 2 x 9+ point SU & ATS wins over Philly H & A, would see Atlanta catching more than a few since they themselves coming off a decent road trip & on a B2B would simply play into the perception every ball was in Cleveland's court.

The probability Cleveland manages 4 straight 9+ point wins in their 4 in 5 sequence (with the 1st vs Toronto already in the books) when they already bring 8 straight such results to it to begin with, is just simply statistically negligible (and while the Cavs opponents to this point have largely sucked fat ones, Philly & Atlanta sport winning percentages superior to them all). The point here being the moment they win a game by 8 pts or less, it's all but going to be an ATS loss (as a Fav) on their part.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The length of any chase I usually like to keep at 3 games, but here it's potentially 4. So the starting bet is lower than usual.

Toronto +12.5 to win 100.

Also parlayed with Houston Under 191.5, and NYI/PHI Under 5.5

Last edited:
I like very much. was just sayin if Cavs cruise today, takin Philly 2m. you're puttin the money where mouths at

yeah I have no clue what happened to this team, my first qtr bet on them was done right away, they are not even competitive anymore in games, it seems like they are not even trying this year for some reason. They need a major trade to shake this team up, trade anyone even BOSH, they are not going to win with him anyway.

Raps need to hire Charles Oakley as coach, he would rip these softies a new one and force them to try instead of just collecting pay cheques and not playing D.

Cleveland in relax mode in the 2nd. No doubt they'll come out serious in the 3rd, and enter the same lax mode in the 4th.

how many driving dunks is LBJ gonna have???

no presence in middle to stop him by Toronto....no muscle to stop the Big East teams

Oneal is good, at least he tries and is physical, I honestly dont think most of the Raps players should even be in the NBA--

Calderone has been exposed, he cannot cover anyone athletically, and is not dribbling or driving anymore-

Bosh- I dont buy him as a star, I see him as a slightly less talented Lamarcus Aldridge, he cannot be a #1 star in the league-

Parker- Get this guy outta here-

Moon- Former CBA player--

Bargagni- BUST IMO he can play and do well in Europe but not here-

Kapono- Is good but on the wrong team-

This team is quite possibly the skinniest team in NBA history-

They need to hire Charles Oakley, or trade for some big players, I mean this is ridiculous, Colangelo should be fired, he has went in this ridiculous direction with these Euro players-

Start the franchise over- Trade Bosh get some young players and then draft better- this team is done- Or make a blockbuster trade,

Start the franchise over- Trade Bosh get some young players and then draft better- this team is done- Or make a blockbuster trade,

Raps have had one of the toughest schedule at the start of the season.
We are still gelling and now we have a new coach trying to implement his own D/O schemes.

Schedule lightens up in the new year. We will still be in the play-offs.

Its going to take more than 3 games for Triano to undo the damage Smitch has done.

How about Philly tonite??
+6,5 and the Public seems to be on Cleveland at least according to wagerline.

GL on the Phillies tonight BC. I hope they want to show up. They've been horrible and tend to show up once in a blue moon.

Thanks, Cashe. My preference would be they get the doors blown off themselves tonight, and cover in Cleveland in a couple of days.

BOL GT, divol, JoJo:cheers:

Good info BC. WOW, Cavs are kickin butt and takin names. Philly is next on the list. I started this chase tonight and will stay on it for 2 maaaayybe 3 more times.
GL to us

Slug - I am beyond pissed over the fact they won by 8 pts while covering. While it shows up the stats I provided as being right on point (about how hard it is to keep maintaining such winning margin form), this chase has lost a major source of inertia to the Cavs continuation of their task. On top of that, everybody saw how close Philly came to covering and those blindly playing the Cavs ATS got their first scare which, when faced with a big number in the next game (what should be at least 11-12 again) could scare them off or even put them on Philly.

At the moment overall I've simply lost the equivalent of the smallest amount I'll put on a normal SU bet (not a lot over 300$, as I've deliberately kept my investment to this point low), so I can afford to abort at least the next game and not blink if the Cavs don't cover. My decision will depend on the line opener, how it moves, the feeling around the traps about who's favoured to cover, etc.

any guess on a line if the cavs don't lose until

<TABLE class=yspwhitebg id=team-calendar cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=ysprow2><TD height=18>Dec 19</TD><TD>at Denver</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

What a burner last night. I was actually rooting for Philly to cover. Btw - Any unusual streaks or stats stick out in TNF? Thanks!

slayer - I'd guess that depends on what Denver brings to that contest. B2B Road games vs Dallas & Houston leading into it, and a B2B w/Phoenix the next night, part of a 4 in 6 for them. If you like Denver then you'll need them ideally to lose both of those pre-road games, you certainly don't need them winning both. They lose both it'll be near -2 would be my guess. They win both and (which would likely make for a 5 game win streak) and it could be as high as -4 (remembering the Cavs opened +4 in Detroit, and Denver certainly isn't performing any less well than the Pistons).

But I wouldnt back against the Cavs the first time they're dogged off this streak. that's something they'll probably really get up for. Also, as much as they've been winning SU, Boston is forcing them to because of the Celts own SU form, since both teams know from last seasons playoffs how important HCA throughout the playoffs is. "Chasing in" the Cavs first SU loss is not a game to indulge in at this point, at least until Boston starts losing a few and relieves some of the pressure on them.

Cashe - the favourite has covered the last 9 NFL feature games (Thursdays, Sunday nite, Monday nite). I'd say now is not the time to be buying Favs in a flooded market. If you don't like the Dog, stay away altogether.

Cleveland losing a couple of players ices the cake on my choosing to pass this return game with Philly. If their managing to win by 8 points wasn't bad enough, they just had to pile it on by instigating the 1st-game-without-star-players phenomenon.

2nd game without same players B2B vs Atlanta after covering the night before Philly? that's what I want to see, esp. if Miami inflict yet another loss on the Hawks who I think could have a dose of look-ahead.

Cleveland losing a couple of players ices the cake on my choosing to pass this return game with Philly. If their managing to win by 8 points wasn't bad enough, they just had to pile it on by instigating the 1st-game-without-star-players phenomenon.

2nd game without same players B2B vs Atlanta after covering the night before Philly? that's what I want to see, esp. if Miami inflict yet another loss on the Hawks who I think could have a dose of look-ahead.

Don't tell me you're not on Phoilly tonight ;)

I like ATL in this spot after finishing with 3 loses in Texas. I think they close their road trip off hungry for a win since their chances to beat ATL are a lot higher than going against the Cavs.

GL tonight.

what do you think of cleveland's chances at atlanta today, bc? i really want to pound them, but this streak is making me think twice...might just sit it out...

If Cleveland is missing their absent players from tonight, and the line is reasonable, I'll be betting it.

The Fav has covered Cleveland's last 15 games. That's pretty much unbelievable.

------------------

Just saw the line is CLE -5. Like to see it climb to 5.5, love to see it climb to 6.5.

If Cleveland is missing their absent players from tonight, and the line is reasonable, I'll be betting it.

The Fav has covered Cleveland's last 15 games. That's pretty much unbelievable.

------------------

Just saw the line is CLE -5. Like to see it climb to 5.5, love to see it climb to 6.5.

sick run they have going...philly didnt man up to take game....is THE ATL?

sick run they have going...philly didnt man up to take game....is THE ATL?

it's one thing for the Cavs to cover 11 straight as a Fav, but to have had any Fav go 15-0 through 15 of any team's games, I can't but shake my head.

The Fav is now 19-4 ATS in Cavs games this season.

So CRIMES would it be possible for someone to have combined Boston and Cleveland and bet on them and doubled up and won 15 in a row and made a million of $50?

How much could someome have made betting on Cleveland doubling up or with Boston and Cleveland?

BetCrimes - I think the Hawks have a good chance to beat the Cavs tomorrow night, very good chance IMO. I'm playing the Hawks to win SU.

You think the line will end up at -6.5?

I can only hope, but 5.5 is probably more realistic. Cleveland is 6-0 ATS as a road Fav.

It's already 5.5 at some books. Just pondering on whether to wait. Seems like some more money might push that to a -6.

I personally think this Hawks team matches up well with the Cavs, and with Z and Gibson out it might play out well for the Hawks. I would also think that the Hawks bench is better. Overall they crowd the paint well, and have players that can shoot the 3 incredibly well as well as good penetration. A very atheletic team. Will be interesting to see who they use on LBJ.

Best of luck to you BC. :cheers:

Back